• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good location for Portuguese caminho albergue...

Friend from Barquinha

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
We haven't been in Portugal since early spring because of the virushttps://www.idealista.pt/en/imovel/30864408/; I was hoping to return this fall but North American and European levels of travel regulation have made it close to impossible legally, and likely not a good thing to do, even if allowed!

However, I dream as always...

Recently saw this very new real estate posting for a property just south of Vila Nova da Barquinha and just north of Golega. 15 minutes' walking south of Barquinha and right on the camino pathway, and reasonably affordable. The main house looks unusable at present, but other accommodation exists. Could be perfect for the right person. The house is in the tiny village of Pedregoso.

For those who dream...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Same dream of the Portuguese route - you should contact this guy!

Geof worked in the White House during the Reagan Admisinstration -held a five year Portuguese residency card. Moved to Portugal and puchased an albergue on the Camino! He might be ready to sell!

About 10 km out of Rubaies is ---Quinta Estrada Romana” (Farmhouse on the Roman Way), it is situated directly on an old Roman road that had become part of the Camino. There are directional signs hand-painted on a post at the entrance. The one pointing south said “Fatima: 300 Kilometers,” and the one pointing north says“Santiago: 125 Kilometers.”

It was built at the beginning of the nineteenth century, and Geof, a Canadian expatriate, took almost three years to restore it.

Paulo, the architect, helped them to undertake an authentic restoration, keeping much of the stone walls, the wooden beams, and the clay tile roof true to the period when it was originally constructed. He hired five local masons to cart the bricks, mix the cement, and lay the terracotta tiles: all by hand in the traditional way. The road there was built by legionnaires and is two thousand years old; you’ll see the Roman bridge down the hill. There are fifteen beds in the albergue and seating in the dining room for twenty-eight people. He did a lot of work in the orchards, the vineyard, and the gardens, where they grow much of the food for the restaurant.

Geof told me he had passed by this building three times on three different Caminos, and each time it had a “For Sale” sign out front. It called to him.

You know, the Camino helps to expand your idea of the possible. Many of us are so trapped in habitual cycles that we pass by open doors and fail to step in. It was on that third Camino in 2011 that I finally stopped here and walked through the open door.
We purchased the entire three-hectare estate and made plans to open as an albergue on the Camino.”

He has a weath of knowlege about pursuing this dream

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
This lodging looks like a very interesting place to stay, Terry. I was unaware of it when I walked the Portuguese camino last year and yet I must have walked right past.
I'm sure drawing attention to it in such a positive way will motivate future walkers on this route to consider Geof's albergue as an overnight stopover, in addition to those who dream of owning one.

There is a lot of red tape here so don't plan to open too soon. Helps if you can pay off local planners, many are willing to help in exchange for a few euros - this is how a friend turned her land into a campsite!

Walked past here with my wife in 2018. Stopped for something to drink. Absolutely terrific feeling to the place and very very friendly people - in particular I remember a very kind Canadian woman. Also remember my wife saying she wished we knew about the place and had stayed there overnight. Just showed her the photo on trip advisor and all the memories came flooding back.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.