• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Maybe you can start solo but you will never walk alone

diegoromerosm

Lost and found in the Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
I'm alway starting the Camino alone just to enjoy that little freedom but... there are so many interesting people out there.
I'm very grateful for all these people (my new brother and sisters) that The Camino has put in my life.
Buen Camino!

some of my Camino family members

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
1st time i went alone, Going though French customs after I got of the plane I heard 2 people behind me 'Oh she speaks French we'll follow her!'. By the time we got off the bus at the train station we had 2 more in tow. So there we were 5 of us at a table enjoying a beer together in the sun while we excitedly waited for the train!

1st time i went alone, Going though French customs after I got of the plane I heard 2 people behind me 'Oh she speaks French we'll follow her!'. By the time we got off the bus at the train station we had 2 more in tow. So there we were 5 of us at a table enjoying a beer together in the sun while we excitedly waited for the train!
and just in the first day...! :) Camino Provides!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
IMHO the concept of " a Camino family " is not for everyone.
I like talking with other pilgrims en route and yes you meet lots of interesting people but I will never see them as my brothers and sisters. Family I have at home.

I saw some pilgrims getting into physical problems because they wanted to keep up with their new friends...
Again ,I bonded with pilgrims on the way but when it was time to part we did just that.

It's a good general rule, and good advice for those starting a "normal" Camino in "normal" season on the Francès ... though personally I am nearly always alone on the Camino, including walking, eating, resting, and sleeping alone.

Much of that has come from walks from home (did not meet one single pilgrim between Paris and SJPP on my 1994), but much too has come from walking a lot faster than most in the 90s, or a lot slower in the 2010s.

If your daily hiking speed is too divergent from the "norm", you will end up being isolated by it inside the crowd.

But it's true that if you're in an average state of fitness, you will find company along the Way on the Francès particularly.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I start alone and usually find a person(s) like minded (there are more that one person on the planet as warped as I am). In my seven decades, I've done so many things and had so many adventures I can enthrall fellow pilgrims for days and days. Then my daughter, from several thousands of miles away) whispers in my ear, "Dad, shut up. They are only being polite." Well, yes, she is right on occasion. On those occasions, I find I'm up earlier, or depart later than my captured audience, or they wait until I'm moving and slip in beside me. Over thirty-days, or so, I'll often cross paths with pilgrims I met earlier, or have a reunion upon arrival in the plaza before the Cathedral in Santiago.
When all is said and done. The Camino makes the important decisions.
Buen Camino
Arn

I start alone and usually find a person(s) like minded (there are more that one person on the planet as warped as I am). In my seven decades, I've done so many things and had so many adventures I can enthrall fellow pilgrims for days and days. Then my daughter, from several thousands of miles away) whispers in my ear, "Dad, shut up. They are only being polite." Well, yes, she is right on occasion. On those occasions, I find I'm up earlier, or depart later than my captured audience, or they wait until I'm moving and slip in beside me. Over thirty-days, or so, I'll often cross paths with pilgrims I met earlier, or have a reunion upon arrival in the plaza before the Cathedral in Santiago.
Buen Camino
Arn
Good morning Arn,

Thank you very much for sharing. In my case, I love to cross paths and walk with the more senior pilgrims. As you mention, they have walked a lot (and not only on the Camino) and being able to enjoy their stories is a small gift they offer you.

Moreover, all of them have shown a curiosity about the wanderings of the younger ones that has always surprised me. I guess the generational leap in the last decades is being so strong that any story or experience can be interesting.

I remember on my second time on the Camino (I did it by bike with my brother) I overtook a very old Japanese couple. Neither of them was over 1.60m tall and they were carrying two backpacks that they could fit inside. The wife must have had severe knee pain so the husband carried both backpacks. They saw us coming and stepped aside to let us pass, bowing Japanese style. I was actually quite moved by the scene. We stopped to ask them if we could help them (my brother is a paramedic). The husband thanked us but replied, "thank you, thank you... but it's my duty". That day I decided that I would rather walk the Camino so that I would never miss the opportunity to learn from those stories again.

We have a proverb in Spain: "Man proposes and God disposes" which is closely related to "The Camino provides" so... let's learn from the people that the Camino puts in our way (or not) but I always remember what Seneca said: "we have two ears and one mouth precisely to listen more and speak less".

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Buen Camino
Arn
Your daughter may well be very wise

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back