• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions from first timer

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Northern Way, Muxia and Finisterre. In YouTube videos, I see people having to walk through wet ground on the caminos maybe up to their ankles or lower shins. Is this common in Jun/July?

Also, in similar videos I hear dangerous dog barks and also see walkers opening up fences and walking through pastures with cows/bulls/horses etc in them. Are there dangers of wild or farmed animals or pet dogs?

Lastly is it illegal to use the washroom outside on the trails (of course not while traveling through the cities/villages)?

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lastly is it illegal to use the washroom outside on the trails
With that one sentence I can tell that you are Canadian. 😅
No, not illegal to "answer the call of nature" outside where there are no washrooms. Of course you would be respectful and leave no trace.

As far as wet/muddy trails - on the Norte, yes you may encounter some ankle deep mud. That's one of the reasons why I like wearing sandals on the Camino. They are so much easier to clean than shoes.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

If you are concerned about what footwear is appropriate, I would say that waterproofing or boots would not be necessary, and they would probably be too hot in the summer.

You will hear dogs barking, of course, but very very rarely would they bite. The barking dogs are either chained in a yard, or they are trained working dogs guarding/herding farm animals. I get very nervous when a dog barks at me, but I carry on. I am sure there have been occasional dog bites, but I haven't read about or talked to anyone who has actually been bitten. (I was bitten a few months ago here in Canada, though!)

There is virtually no risk from wild animals. I might get nervous when a cow moos at me, but I still carry on. Here is an interesting thread about cows.

Robo has made two little videos on the subject of toilets needs - here and here.

If you click on the tag "first camino" that I've put up by the title of this thread, you'll find many threads with other questions that you might be thinking about!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Being a son of the south I have similar questions about snakes. From lack of postings and the irrational fear some people have of them I assume there simply aren't any?

No, not illegal to "answer the call of nature" outside where there are no washrooms. Of course you would be respectful and leave no trace.

As far as wet/muddy trails - on the Norte, yes you may encounter some ankle deep mud. That's one of the reasons why I like wearing sandals on the Camino. They are so much easier to clean than shoes.
I am another sandal (always with socks!) fan; you can wade rivers, walk through mud, and then rest assured that everything will be dry in a few minutes if you keep walking.

Being a son of the south I have similar questions about snakes. From lack of postings and the irrational fear some people have of them I assume there simply aren't any?
No, there are snakes in Spain including the (slightly) venomous adder or viper

please see this Snakes in-a Spain! (apologies to Samuel L. Jackson)

But don't panic - in 6 Caminos I've only seen 3 snakes: an 8" long Adder

1613902530255.png

another about 18" long on gravel paths and a dead snake about 2'6" long by the roadside.

If you get bitten seek medical attention but don't over stress it as a deterent to walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I plan to walk the Northern Way, Muxia and Finisterre. In YouTube videos, I see people having to walk through wet ground on the caminos maybe up to their ankles or lower shins. Is this common in Jun/July?

Also, in similar videos I hear dangerous dog barks and also see walkers opening up fences and walking through pastures with cows/bulls/horses etc in them. Are there dangers of wild or farmed animals or pet dogs?

Lastly is it illegal to use the washroom outside on the trails (of course not while traveling through the cities/villages)?
Always check before you squat

Something bit my butt!

If you are really lucky you might get to see a wild boar; Spanish farmers tend to chain up their dogs (a generalisation I know) just don't go near them or the farm they are guarding, and the cattle are often times simply adorable:

1613903488879.png

a cow with a crumpled horn - San Juan de Ortega

Edit: there shouldn't be any need to open up fences, indeed there are few gates that need to be opened.

Last edited:
I cannot remember that I had to open s fence on all of the norte. Perhaps you could find some on alternative routes. ( There are many of them who generally are more beautifull,have less asphalt and are longer)
If you do the norte in Juli you must prepare yourself That it might be busy in coastal towns due to the summer holidays with Spanish people who are there for a beach holiday

I’m not as worried about wild and domestic animals as I am about the terrain because of my knees. I’ve walked the Frances and Portuguese Caminos (using poles and sometimes not carrying my pack to reduce weight) but I’ve heard that terrain is tougher on this Camino.
Thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m not as worried about wild and domestic animals as I am about the terrain because of my knees. I’ve walked the Frances and Portuguese Caminos (using poles and sometimes not carrying my pack to reduce weight) but I’ve heard that terrain is tougher on this Camino.
Thanks.
If you are speaking about the Norte, there are a lot more up and downs (500m) climbs and descents. This is particularly true in the early part of the Norte. The route, imo, gets easier as you go.

The only Camino that I remember having to open/close gates was the Salvador.
I've seen only one tiny snake on five Caminos, but lots of other (domestic) animals.

Attachments

• 20190125_111409_copy_1008x756.jpg
    20190125_111409_copy_1008x756.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190516_093823(0)_copy_756x1008.jpg
    20190516_093823(0)_copy_756x1008.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20171205_213033_copy_1080x835.jpg
    20171205_213033_copy_1080x835.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20160822_090045_copy_756x1008.jpg
    20160822_090045_copy_756x1008.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 9
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have yet to see a snake in 11 caminos (3 on the del Norte), but I am told that they are around. As far as dogs go, on the del Norte they are generally chained or behind fences, but we need to remember that they are working dogs for security, and are not cuddly pets. I have run into mean dogs on the loose on the Galician stretch of the del Norte, but it is a rare occurrence.

I think that there was one spot where I had to open and close a gate, but I really can't remember where. I am not sure if I recall any streams, but I found the mediaeval road leading into Orio to be murderous on the ankles so I would recommend the road. Others will differ.

Efren Gonzalez' youtubes on the del Norte are good for giving you an idea of what you will encounter for surfaces.

I am sure there are snakes but I have not seen any in 10 Camino's. That said, I am a Spring walker March, April, May.

I recall gates on the Vasco, San Salvador and VdlP.

In a Spring walk you will encounter streams to cross on most routes Madrid, Mozarabe, Vasco etc.

Dogs are almost always chained up but you will probably encounter a few loose ones. Never been attacked but they are territorial and usually only bark until you pass.

There are several routes where you will deal with cattle, sheep, horses and pigs. They have never presented a problem.

When you gotta go, do so discreetly and bury or pick up and dispose. Carry plastic bags. I have only needed #1, though there are many signs of #2.

Last edited:
Above all, beware the Camino Sheep, as they can flock across your intended path. Should you stare at the fleeting flock, you may suddenly find yourself being shaken awake, hours later, by passing pilgrims,

In truth, AncientMariner, human-animal interactions of the dangerous sort are exceedingly rare and I have not heard of any related to wildlife, though others may have.

Gnats and flies can be a brief annoyance that is easily dealt with by covering nose and mouth loosely with a shemagh or bandanna. I suppose mosquitoes could be encountered depending on location and season, although I haven't encountered any during my preferred season to walk Camino in the Fall.

I have seen 1 live snake, which didn't appear of the viper variety, and 2 dead viperish types. Salamanders and snails aplenty depending on region. But I have never seen any bears, dangerous wild pigs, or other feral, toothy types during 3 Caminos, either while walking in very early morning when dark or while walking during daylight hours.

I have enjoyed seeing the periodic deer, predator birds (falcon and hawks, or what looked similar). The more into the 'wild' a Camino route goes, like those crossing into the Picos de Europa, the more likely such wildlife viewings.

Farm dogs are a different thing from the 'pet' dog variety. There are adorable dogs that seem to make it their mission to appear cute, cuddly, and irresistible to passing pilgrims. I swear, the Spanish must have a developed a genetic cross-mutation of dog species which force pilgrims to stop and mutter silly sayings of endearment while giving scratches and scritches galore. Some even have a velcro gene, whereby they will follow you around for a while until their quota of pets and scratches have been met.

Cats? Well, I am not a cat person, but I have seen cute cats, lots of kittens, and I prefer not to touch them out of concern over potential fleas and parasites and such. Unlike dogs, who usually have owners, and barring what I know are barnyard cats, it seems that many cats are unattached street cats. If you are into cats, and even if not, it can be a bit heartbreaking.

"You are powerless. Scratch me"

1613934964876.png

Last edited:

What is Canadian about that sentence?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What is Canadian about that sentence?
Washroom 😉

It reminds me of the first time I went to visit my now husband in Vancouver. After picking me up at the airport we went out to lunch, and I had to use the "facilities." When I asked the waitress where the bathroom was (or I may have said restroom) she looked somewhat puzzled and said "oh, the washroom."

Washroom 😉

It reminds me of the first time I went to visit my now husband in Vancouver. After picking me up at the airport we went out to lunch, and I had to use the "facilities." When I asked the waitress where the bathroom was (or I may have said restroom) she looked somewhat puzzled and said "oh, the washroom."

Ah. When I was in Europe, years go, I asked a waitress in a restaurant where the Washroom was. She replied that they wouldn't have one of those. When I said oh well what about a toilet, she replied well of course we have one of those. :)

We get used to our own terminology don't we? In a restaurant in Georgia, I heard an elderly couple beside me ask for a serviette. The waitress had no idea, until I said he wants a napkin. Another couple of lost Canadians. Likely asked for jam instead of jelly for their toast. LOL

Students of allusion may enjoy an internet search for “the doughnut in granny’s greenhouse”. My favourite fragment of sanitary history relates to the Royal Oak pub at Hooksway on the South Downs Way. Late in the 1890’s at a hearing before the licensing Magistrates the then Landlord was asked “what facilities were available for the comfort of customers”, local newspapers report that his reply was “6 acres of scrub & pasture your Honour”.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Above all, beware the Camino Sheep, as they can flock across your intended path. Should you stare at the fleeting flock, you may suddenly find yourself being shaken awake, hours later, by passing pilgrims,

In truth, AncientMariner, human-animal interactions of the dangerous sort are exceedingly rare and I have not heard of any related to wildlife, though others may have.

Gnats and flies can be a brief annoyance that is easily dealt with by covering nose and mouth loosely with a shemagh or bandanna. I suppose mosquitoes could be encountered depending on location and season, although I haven't encountered any during my preferred season to walk Camino in the Fall.

I have seen 1 live snake, which didn't appear of the viper variety, and 2 dead viperish types. Salamanders and snails aplenty depending on region. But I have never seen any bears, dangerous wild pigs, or other feral, toothy types during 3 Caminos, either while walking in very early morning when dark or while walking during daylight hours.

I have enjoyed seeing the periodic deer, predator birds (falcon and hawks, or what looked similar). The more into the 'wild' a Camino route goes, like those crossing into the Picos de Europa, the more likely such wildlife viewings.

Farm dogs are a different thing from the 'pet' dog variety. There are adorable dogs that seem to make it their mission to appear cute, cuddly, and irresistible to passing pilgrims. I swear, the Spanish must have a developed a genetic cross-mutation of dog species which force pilgrims to stop and mutter silly sayings of endearment while giving scratches and scritches galore. Some even have a velcro gene, whereby they will follow you around for a while until their quota of pets and scratches have been met.

Cats? Well, I am not a cat person, but I have seen cute cats, lots of kittens, and I prefer not to touch them out of concern over potential fleas and parasites and such. Unlike dogs, who usually have owners, and barring what I know are barnyard cats, it seems that many cats are unattached street cats. If you are into cats, and even if not, it can be a bit heartbreaking.

"You are powerless. Scratch me"

View attachment 94099
Nothing cute about that, looks dog eared to me!

Now this was a useful and cute animal. I watched it hunting mice in the grass next to the Municipal Albergue in Triacastela. It must of noticed me watching and bought its prey over to where I was standing so that I could watch it eat the mouse whole and then wait to be told how clever it was.

Notice that it is fat with a nice glossy coat, obviously mice are good for it.
IMG_20190630_145344565.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The cows only look scary (at least to us city folk!), but we did confront a loose bull that had escaped its fenced pasture and was definitely scaring the locals. Funny enough, it was just outside of Pamplona - I found running FROM the bull better than WITH it....

As for dogs, a Camino friend was bitten by a working dog that had aggressively followed us, too. While Spanish dogs generally are all bark and no bite, there is an occasional one that simply has a different mindset. We found that ignoring them worked most of the time and a threatening shout while waving our walking stick worked for the rest. If you have a fear of dogs, already, it can be a bit traumatizing.

These cattle were on the Camino Frances just before Ages (one day before Burgos) in June 2019. It was notable as they were the first cattle we had seen in over a week since Pamplona. They ignored us and kept munching. We stayed on the track through the field and were careful not to get between any cow and her calf. I think there was a gate at the end of the field that we had to open and close again.

Attachments

• 099 -20190607_140654.jpg
    099 -20190607_140654.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks.
AllanHG. Yes, it is tougher, but it is still one step at a time and not unsurmountable. I'll assume you use hiking poles (2) and use them as needed.

This dog was off to coffee with its master, super Cute and just loved attention.

These geese are at Sarria, near the river, always looking for food, not aggressive at all.

This dog was off to the cafe with its master

Attachments

• CBDD8F78-4232-4438-9A62-0C9DB0C914DC.jpeg
    CBDD8F78-4232-4438-9A62-0C9DB0C914DC.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 6AFD0218-EB65-4ED7-941A-114E36E31A5F.jpeg
    6AFD0218-EB65-4ED7-941A-114E36E31A5F.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 151
If you have a fear of dogs, already, it can be a bit traumatizing.
I have a fear of unleashed large dogs after being bitten by a Rottweiler a few years ago at home. I have been afraid of dogs more than a few times on the Camino and glad I had a hiking pole "just in case".

On the Camino del Norte I only remember one place where we had to pass through a field with cows and no fence between us. Shown here in this photo. We were nervous, but they mostly ignored us. (There was a bull a little further away in the field as well, didn't get that in the photo.)

IMG_20180508_092717.jpg

I can't remember going through gates but we did go over a few steps that went over fences like this:

IMG_20180504_124434.jpg

Overall, cows, and cats, were a constant source of delight for us on the Camino del Norte.

IMG_3179.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_20180427_132516.jpg

A lot of these cows had amazing views.

IMG_2299.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Talking about snakes. I saw only 1 when I hiked Camino Frances in Summertime, it was some kind of Viper just in near the stone that says Galicia. It crossed the hiking trail in the mountainous area right next to a tiny bird. Poor bird was even more frightened than I was.

Karma hit me back two years later when I was hiking Camino Portugese in late Spring Between Lisbon and Porto I saw around 40 snakes. 10 of them were dead because run over by cars. Mostly they were again in mountain zones. Even some a few water snakes. I really understood that I have a deep fear of snakes when in one mountain zone there were around 20 snakes running around me as I passed with my hiking poles. A few days later I was passing a trail that had high grass on both sides. A scared snake ran right over my feet as I was hiking in high speed. I went completely hysterical from fear at that moment.

Now I will always wear long pants when hiking any Camino. No matter how hot it is outside. Especially since most alive snakes that were alone just sat there in the sun in the middle of the hiking path usually and you had to walk around them.

I always see a few adders every time I walk the warmer months. Usually tiny (15-25cm) curled-up on the edge of the path mid morning trying to soak up a bit of heat. The smallest ones are really aggressive if disturbed. Easy to step away from. Cute.

Camino Norte wet?????

July and August 2018 - Rain for 10 days of the 42 days
Bob, July / August is when I'm walking. Will trail runners work OK? Scrape off the mud at end of day? And bring 3 wool socks instead of 2? I'm a nightly hand washer of clothes. I have Oofos flip flops, they have fatter soles than regular flip flops (~1") but IMO too slippery to walk in mud. Arizona girl - zero experience walking in mud. Maybe buy a pole, something I've only used on the slippery rock Inca Trail to Machu Picchu? What did other people wear for rainy season footwear? I'm walking the Thames Path (London) for 2 weeks before Camino Norte so expecting wet there too :(

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My preference is always a pair of trail runners with mesh uppers as I was impressed with them in mud and water. Bringing three pair of socks is a good idea and most definitely buy a pole/s, or a walking stick at your starting point.
Every year is different, so try not to be disappointed or discouraged ahead of time thinking you will have a lot of rain...you may be pleasantly surprised at how much sun you may have.

This thread seems to have good variety of questions. It is so entertaining to read all threads from all around the world.

I will be walking my first Camino Frances in July and August of this year, but am thinking about continuing with an extending my Camino walking to include Finisterre and Portugues. My return to US is not until October. This is an ambitious itinerary, but I believe I am capable of doing this.

So, let me throw this in. I am needing opinions of three items that are on my packing list:
1)Fleece zip up rain resistant jacket. I am bringing a rain jacket for the heavier rains, but what about a lighter jacket for cool, early morning walks?
2)Is a sleeping bag liner enough for an albergue? I do not want to bring my sleeping bag.
3)Do I need a sleeping bag pad? By all that I am reading, a person may have to work at it but finding a bed is no problem.

Any opinion is greatly welcome.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bob, July / August is when I'm walking. Will trail runners work OK? Scrape off the mud at end of day? And bring 3 wool socks instead of 2? I'm a nightly hand washer of clothes. I have Oofos flip flops, they have fatter soles than regular flip flops (~1") but IMO too slippery to walk in mud. Arizona girl - zero experience walking in mud. Maybe buy a pole, something I've only used on the slippery rock Inca Trail to Machu Picchu? What did other people wear for rainy season footwear? I'm walking the Thames Path (London) for 2 weeks before Camino Norte so expecting wet there too

@Yumadons - Hello,

Yes trailrunners should work, but bear in mind when I went in 2018 it was a rainy year. Who knows what the weather will be like when you go???
Either way I suggest to go. Life is too short too to make a decision whether to go or not to go based on rain. As all of us do we improvise, adapt and overcome !
Enjoy yourself !

Buen Camino !

Once you’ve walked the Thames path and evaluated your footware, you’ll be well equipped for anything you’re going to find in Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.