• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What does the Forum mean to you?

Arn

Veteran Member
In 2005, a friend handed me a book saying, "Arn, you're adventurous. Have you ever considered walking the 900 years old pilgrimage to the Cathedral of Santiago in Spain? As she asked the question, she handed me a much-used and dog-eared paperback. I never gave it back, but I did walk the Way...several times.

Many of you know I spent most of my career as an intelligence analyst. That said, before I set out on any significant task, I research and plan. My thought is that anything nearly 1,000 years in the making has to be well-chronicled beyond the paperback book I held. I won't list all the books, tapes, and videos I read, listened to, and watched. Some were historical, such as the "Codex Calixtinus," while others were tongue in cheek " I'm off then" by Hape Kerkeling, some credit this book with a marked increase in the number of Germans walking the Camino. The movie "The Way" with Martin Sheen had a similar effect on many English-speaking nations.
So, armed with these resources, I set about finding the most up-to-date information on precisely what the Camino is. I needed to render the various resources to but a few, and they are Mundicamino, Gronze, the Confraternity of St. James (UK), and the Forum.
Now, my answer to the thread is multi-faceted. The Forum is bar-none the best organized, supported, moderated, and populated by folks that come together to do their best to ensure anyone considering or planning to walk the Way receives the latest and up-to-date information available.
If a lurker only scans the FAQ section, they have at their fingertips more accurate, quality insight than they can get from other sources. By registering, they join in a group or individual discussions that reveal the depth of knowledge of veteran pilgrims that talk the talk and walk the walk, often several times.
Ivar remains committed to craft together a resource that takes advantage of the latest software, thus creating a truly interactive platform.
The Moderators, located in countries around the world, provide 24/7 coverage. Coverage is more about getting threads into the proper location than insisting contributors focus on a given area or position on any given topic. Allowing this latitude enables contributors and responders to self-censor rather than wholesale deletion of a thread or reply.
I am most drawn to the Forum by the many pilgrims I've come to know and respect for their first-hand knowledge. And sincere desire to answer questions without becoming impatient responding to the bedbug, poncho vs. rain suit, tenting questions, or condescending when a new member asks what is considered a real pilgrim.
I hesitate to name specific individuals that have influenced my Camino experience. I would rather say that, for someone like me who has gone out of his way NOT to make friends easily, to Ivar, the Mods, new and old pilgrims, I can easily call you friends thanks to making the Forum a vital part of my life.
Buen "Now to that bed bug question!" Camino
Arn

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This forum gave me ALL the necessary information to plan my first camino (Frances), which due to Covid has been delayed from its April 2020 start. What it means to me: knowledge, acceptance, friendship, care, inclusiveness, peace of mind, respect and a community of people who share a deep love of ALL that is camino. I've never walked...yet...but I feel prepared and at peace with it all.

I initially came to this forum to find specific details about particular Camino routes. Quickly, I realized the board was a home for much more than logistic information.

I never expected to find true friendships! 🥰 It is a thrill to have met many members "in real life" and virtually on the Zoom calls. Special shoutout to the generous forum members who have hosted me in their homes! 🌠

I'm looking forward to connecting with more forum buddies in the future - especially to walk Caminos together. 🤗 💕

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hmm, tricky question. It’s sort of a job, except it isn’t of course. I could walk away tomorrow and the same salary would still hit my bank every month. I found the Forum while trying to find out what “Camino” was. On three hiking trips in Spain I’d been asked “was I Peregino; was I on “Camino”, I’d even been asked “pray for me in Santiago”. Between the British Library, the CSJ and latterly the Forum I learned a lot. That the old pilgrimage to the end-of-the world had been adopted and adapted; that people from all over the world traveled to an obscure little French town in the foothills of the Pyrenees just so they could climb a big hill; that people brought hope, expectations and even despair with them; that some even brought the mortal remains of a beloved, and that some brought a skateboard or a unicycle. And I learned that that was all ok.
So, I guess what the Forum means to me is that the world continues to be absolutely amazing. The innocence of some and the arrogance of others is a constant reminder that life is always a challenge, living is always a challenge but that doesn’t matter ‘cos the sun will always be shining somewhere.
Oh, and sometimes someone on the Forum gets one of my jokes and all the fairy-bells in my tree ring 😉

After open heart surgery at the age of 41 I had given up hope of ever walking a camino and had decided to do it on a motorbike when it became possible, I found the forum on a google search and I was welcomed by most and given great advice, the "purists" were not impressed by camino on a motorbike but they, thankfully, were a small minority.
Fast forward 17 years and I walked it from St. Jean with my brother who had travelled from Oz. The help, support and advice I got before that camino was second to none and when I returned home I stayed on the forum because it gave me a great sense of connection and I wanted to give something back to those about to undertake the same journey in the line of advice.
The forum is like a family and like all families we sometimes fight but it all works out in the end.

The forum provided me with everything I needed to know before my first camino - my backpack and contents were very similar to what I still use, after 6 caminos. I got that practical advice and the reinforcement for my interest, and most importantly, I gained confidence.

Over the years, the forum has connected me to a number of people who became my camino friends - I even met a few briefly in person, other times not in person, but they still felt like friends I might meet some day.

The past year has been eventful in all the obvious dramatic ways we know about. It has also brought some interesting challenges and rewards to our forum life. We have been dealing with each others' tragedies and worries, frustrations, irritability and contrary opinions. We have been through several phases such as
  1. Getting people home from Spain, and sharing trip cancellation woes with others
  2. Understanding the evolving science, advances and errors, and the corresponding responses
  3. Conversations about how have our various countries/regions have managed the pandemic
  4. Short-term changes to the camino in Spain, and how it might affect future pilgrimages
  5. Learning - remotely - about cultural and historical aspects of the camino and Spain
  6. Planning - through virtual Caminos - for future caminos we still hope to undertake
  7. Glimpsing light at the end of the tunnel, then watching it flicker and return, but still uncertain.
  8. Maintaining preparedness of our feet, backpacks and equipment while we wait
All of those topics have a connection to the Camino, but our discussions have understandably strayed off-topic many times. That is because many of us have become friends, beyond being simple acquaintances with a single common interest. We are getting more like family or community, since we all have family members or neighbours that we don't always like or agree with. And who hasn't occasionally been frustrated to the point of thinking they need a break from the forum? They quietly take a break and come back.

This building of friendship through daily communication on the forum has been one joy of the past year.

I would like to thank the many members who have continued to post regularly with a positive and constructive attitude, helping to keep the Camino dreams, knowledge and memories, alive and rewarding for all of us. Please keep it up!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Apart from being an endless treasure trove of information, for me the Forum is about connecting with like-minded people.
Many of us have experienced the 'are you crazy?' or 'you must be mad' reaction from those around us when we state our intentions to head off on a long distance walking trail.
Here, we all 'get it' (including those yet to set off for the first time) & also, crucially, the impact it has on us at journeys end.
The knowing & understanding of others who have been there, done that (or contemplating) can be a huge relief as it is often impossible to convey an experience to those, however caring or well-intentioned, who have no concept of such an undertaking.
I'm certainly very thankful for the Forum, the support & the friends I've made through it. 🤗
👣 🌏

Until this time last year, the Forum was somewhere we could go to have many Camino questions answered and to read other people’s comments and experiences about the different Caminos. We would see many old faces and meet many new members along the way, all bringing their own special facets to our lives and adding to our Camino dreams.
This has of course continued this year but for us, especially (Anne), the Forum has become part of my daily life and the members have become part of my local community, who I am in very regular communication with. Their avatars are their faces and I have grown to really enjoy their regular contributions. New and very interesting threads have developed over this last year, which have certainly encouraged this sense of community and have been and continue to be part of our day to day lives and we are richer for them.
So, thank you to Ivar and all the members of the Forum, for allowing this development to happen.
If we are not allowed to walk on the Camino, we can at least have our dreams fulfilled through the Forum!
Buen Camino
Anne&Pat

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had to go digging through my records to confirm my memory, but I joined the forum in Paris, just after I had walked from Le Puy to Livinac and had to stop due to tendonitis. I think I was looking for a way to keep a connection to the camino, since no one in my real life was going to be able to do that.

Thanks for being here.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It has been and still is the best way to learn about the various Caminos. On a personal note I have met both physically and spiritually some really fantastic people through this Forum and hopefully in the near future (say 2022) these friendships can be renewed and expanded. The small donations made each 6/12 months are more than compensated by the joy I receive in return. Stay safe Pilgrims. God be with you. Buen Camino.

Hope.

Everyday I come on and read other pilgrims making and sharing their plans (often being amended for now 🤦🏼‍♂️) but all with the same focus as me, waiting and planning for that next camino. That shared hope has made my journey through covid a lot more bearable knowing that with each day we are step closer to our journey. I would also add that there is a humour and friendship on here that has an almost medicinal benefit, members openly sharing their ups and downs in life, their pilgrim experience and some times an in-depth conversation on Monkey Butt, which by its own level of replies shows just how much an informative yet childish conversation draws us all in just to enjoy the craic 🤣🤣 buen camino mi amigos

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I discovered this Forum in 2009 which was 5 years after my first camino. Thus it was with great delight that I learned that I could share memories and tips from and with scores of others through this digital exchange.

What a meaningful way it has become to help keep the journeys anew. Ever since each morning I have read/replied to some posted entries of the past day as the Forum became a part of my normal routine.

One pleasure across the past decade has been the awakening of strong digital friendships with unmet fellow walkers/readers with whom so much could be shared. Such are you for me.

Stay safe and well dear companions,
We who can not continue to walk as in the past can still continue on the pathways of our memory or hope for better possibilities to come.

May we all have the mental and physical strength to persevere.

In the truest sense, Ultreia,

Margaret Meredith

It’s somewhere to be whilst we can’t be ‘there’.

The nature of the forum has changed with the diminished volume of posts - there is more of a sense of community; but I do look forward to the resurgence of the ‘is a red rucksack better than a blue rucksack’ threads in due course.

In 2005, a friend handed me a book saying, "Arn, you're adventurous. Have you ever considered walking the 900 years old pilgrimage to the Cathedral of Santiago in Spain? As she asked the question, she handed me a much-used and dog-eared paperback. I never gave it back, but I did walk the Way...several times.

Many of you know I spent most of my Marine career as an intelligence analyst. I know, Marine and intelligence is an oxymoron. I get it. That said, before I set out on any significant task, I research and plan. My thought is that anything nearly 1,000 years in the making has to be well-chronicled beyond the paperback book I held. I won't list all the books, tapes, and videos I read, listened to, and watched. Some were historical, such as the "Codex Calixtinus," while others were tongue in cheek " I'm off then" by Hape Kerkeling, some credit this book with a marked increase in the number of Germans walking the Camino. The movie "The Way" with Martin Sheen had a similar effect on many English-speaking nations.
So, armed with these resources, I set about finding the most up-to-date information on precisely what the Camino is. I needed to render the various resources to but a few, and they are Mundicamino, Gronze, the Confraternity of St. James (UK), and the Forum.
Now, my answer to the thread is multi-faceted. The Forum is bar-none the best organized, supported, moderated, and populated by folks that come together to do their best to ensure anyone considering or planning to walk the Way receives the latest and up-to-date information available.
If a lurker only scans the FAQ section, they have at their fingertips more accurate, quality insight than they can get from other sources. By registering, they join in a group or individual discussions that reveal the depth of knowledge of veteran pilgrims that talk the talk and walk the walk, often several times.
Ivar remains committed to craft together a resource that takes advantage of the latest software, thus creating a truly interactive platform.
The Moderators, located in countries around the world, provide 24/7 coverage. Coverage is more about getting threads into the proper location than insisting contributors focus on a given area or position on any given topic. Allowing this latitude enables contributors and responders to self-censor rather than wholesale deletion of a thread or reply.
I am most drawn to the Forum by the many pilgrims I've come to know and respect for their first-hand knowledge. And sincere desire to answer questions without becoming impatient responding to the bedbug, poncho vs. rain suit, tenting questions, or condescending when a new member asks what is considered a real pilgrim.
I hesitate to name specific individuals that have influenced my Camino experience. I would rather say that, for someone like me who has gone out of his way NOT to make friends easily, to Ivar, the Mods, new and old pilgrims, I can easily call you friends thanks to making the Forum a vital part of my life.
Buen "Now to that bed bug question!"

Many of you know I spent most of my Marine career as an intelligence analyst. I know, Marine and intelligence is an oxymoron. I get it. That said, before I set out on any significant task, I research and plan. My thought is that anything nearly 1,000 years in the making has to be well-chronicled beyond the paperback book I held. I won't list all the books, tapes, and videos I read, listened to, and watched. Some were historical, such as the "Codex Calixtinus," while others were tongue in cheek " I'm off then" by Hape Kerkeling, some credit this book with a marked increase in the number of Germans walking the Camino. The movie "The Way" with Martin Sheen had a similar effect on many English-speaking nations.
Arn
This Forum is my “Camino HOME & FAMILY” away from the Camino. The “quality” of humans regularly participating here is unmatched. I joined late 2016 only a few months before my first camino in 2017 and have not left. A mega THANK YOU to Ivar and the great Moderators! ❤️👣👣👣👣

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For me the Forum was a source of excitement and hope. I would read it early each morning and then talk about it with my beloved husband John on our walks. We would make tentative plans (for next October) and/or talk about past Caminos. A source of daily joy.

But my beloved died suddenly and unexpectedly last Wednesday and now the Forum is a source of sorrow and uncertainty. Sorrow for the loss of my/our future and uncertainty about whether I will ever return to the Camino. But mostly sorrow for the future I have lost.

Maybe it means something that despite the pain I find myself reading it each morning anyway.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmm, tricky question. It’s sort of a job, except it isn’t of course. I could walk away tomorrow and the same salary would still hit my bank every month. I found the Forum while trying to find out what “Camino” was. On three hiking trips in Spain I’d been asked “was I Peregino; was I on “Camino”, I’d even been asked “pray for me in Santiago”. Between the British Library, the CSJ and latterly the Forum I learned a lot. That the old pilgrimage to the end-of-the world had been adopted and adapted; that people from all over the world traveled to an obscure little French town in the foothills of the Pyrenees just so they could climb a big hill; that people brought hope, expectations and even despair with them; that some even brought the mortal remains of a beloved, and that some brought a skateboard or a unicycle. And I learned that that was all ok.
So, I guess what the Forum means to me is that the world continues to be absolutely amazing. The innocence of some and the arrogance of others is a constant reminder that life is always a challenge, living is always a challenge but that doesn’t matter ‘cos the sun will always be shining somewhere.
Oh, and sometimes someone on the Forum gets one of my jokes and all the fairy-bells in my tree ring 😉
Very well said, a pleasure to read.

For me the Forum was a source of excitement and hope. I would read it early each morning and then talk about it with my beloved husband John on our walks. We would make tentative plans (for next October) and/or talk about past Caminos. A source of daily joy.

But my beloved died suddenly and unexpectedly last Wednesday and now the Forum is a source of sorrow and uncertainty. Sorrow for the loss of my/our future and uncertainty about whether I will ever return to the Camino. But mostly sorrow for the future I have lost.

Maybe it means something that despite the pain I find myself reading it each morning anyway.
You are in our thoughts, Susan.

I'm sorry for your loss, Susan.

Keep coming back to talk to us whenever you need us. We'll be here to listen.

When a gregarious person has been married to an introvert for nigh on 40 years and said gregarious person retires with a bucket list of things to do in the future, things that the introvert has little interest in doing, well the gregarious one needs to get out of the house for a few weeks.
The CF filled that bill, but when I got home there was no one to talk to about it (at least back in 2013). I remembered that someone mentioned Casa Ivar on my trek, but had no idea what that was about. Took me a couple of years to get around to finding it and logging in for good. Now it is a part of my daily CF and CP reminiscing, as well as a planning tool for the next one. Though I've never met any of you, many of you are now recognizable, either by your avatar or through the Zoom meetings. During COVID (which coincided with another personal upheaval of our lives), the Forum has provided a wonderful outlet for further research on my stymied trekking plans, along with a connection to other pilgrims in similar lockdown.
Ivar and the Mods have been a steady source of news and information and a ray of light at the end of a long tunnel, whilst the rest of the participants have made me laugh, cry, chuckle, reconsider, change a future plan, etc... around all things Camino, hoping and knowing that someday the routes will be open again. It won't be the same, but the spirit of the Camino(s) lives on in each of us and the Forum is a place where the flame is tended and nurtured.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Oh Susan, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband John. Be good to yourself right now as you grieve. Andrea

Susan, so very sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss... we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

When I lost my boer Meisie way to young (52) I was lost. Without going into the details: it's that special song (Heart-What About Love), special place (Hartbeespoort Dam, SA), special time (sunset), special wish (To Grow Old Gracefully Together).
My heart goes out to you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This Forum has meant many things to me. I joined after having walked my first Camino. Having heard tell about a multitude of other Camino routes as a first time peregrina, I was curious to learn more. I found the Forum and delighted in reading about the experiences of other pilgrims while marveling at the wealth of information offered and shared by other members. Since then it has been a source of pleasure to keep alive my love of walking in Spain, especially during the past year when it has not been possible to do the real thing. An added bonus has been the friendships I have developed with other like-minded people. May the Forum continue with the hopes that one day we may again experience our shared joy of being on the Camino.

Last edited:

Arn
I just love reading our Pilgrams stories.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you may find some comfort being here on the Forum, I know I've found comfort from the Forum during hard times.
All the best to you.

Susan my heart breaks for you. This forum has become family to me after my husband died suddenly also. I hope it will to you as well

Dear Susan,
We are so sorry for your sudden loss. Our prayers and heartfelt thoughts are with you and may you experience some healing from the words you read on the Forum.
Anne&Pat

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Forum is my 'Pub'

You might need to be from the UK to understand the concept though.

A place where I can wander in after work, where I'll know at least half of the people in there and can openly chat about anything and everything and get a sympathetic ear as needed.

(a close approximation might be that TV series 'Cheers')

But it's one better than that, because we all have a common interest, share similar values and for the most part are genuinely nice and caring people.

Maybe "This is my Church"
(a song by Faithless)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Oh No @SusanSmyth

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.
Sending you love and prayers during this tragic time.

The Forum is my 'Pub'

You might need to be from the UK to understand the concept though.

A place where I can wander in after work, where I'll know at least half of the people in there and can openly chat about anything and everything and get a sympathetic ear as needed.

(a close approximation might be that TV series 'Cheers')

But it's one better than that, because we all have a common interest, share similar values and for the most part are genuinely nice and caring people.

Maybe "This is my Church"
(a song by Faithless)
Isn't “Church” where you enter into a comfortable place, sit among like minded people, partake of food and drink divinely prepared and depart refreshed and ready to take on the world?
Buen “Here I am Lord! Is this a pub, or a Church?” Camino
Arn

So sorry for your loss Susan. It is unbearably hard right now, but the Camino is an excellent place for coming to terms with your grief.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The forum provided me with everything I needed to know before my first camino - my backpack and contents were very similar to what I still use, after 6 caminos. I got that practical advice and the reinforcement for my interest, and most importantly, I gained confidence.
I could have written that myself. And @C clearly is a member that I learned a lot from.

I discovered the forum after learning about the Camino in a Spanish class. I was instantly intrigued by the idea of walking across a country and being able to sleep in a bed and take a shower every night. I had no idea how to get started, and luckily I stumbled onto the forum after first checking some Camino tour ($$$) sites. I knew that I wanted to do it on my own, and I got the knowledge that I needed from all the good people on this forum.

Thank you to all who came before me and offered their expertise on these pages!

Sorry to hear of your loss. This must be a difficult time for you. My thoughts are with you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

So sorry for your loss Susan. Continue to keep contact with the forum if you can. One day you may decide that the time is right to walk, and I hope you will find the peace and healing that the Camino can bring. God bless🙏

Deeply sorry for your loss. May his memory be a blessing.

Words are beyond me. My deepest condolances to you and yours. I can only hope that staying here with us may help you some.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I joined in 2013, shortly after my first overseas trip in over 20 years. I think it was that trip (to visit a cousin of mine who was then in charge of the Canadian embassy in Berlin) that rekindled thoughts of walking a camino. I'm sure I used it to plan my 2016 Camino with my son, but I think that was much more in reader mode than writer mode. It was after returning from that Camino that I really remember becoming active in on the forums (and getting involved in the local Camino community). Here were people I could talk to and who would understand what I was saying. I think for many of us, this community became even more important over the past year. As our connections to our local physical communities became more challenging our global virtual communities took more centre stage.

May you receive compassion, love, hope and peace in your grief, Susan.
A candle is burning for you giphy 2.gif

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello @SusanSmyth ,. Nothing I can say will really take away the pain you are feeling at the loss of your husband/sole mate. But rest assured I and many of my pilgrims colleagues will have you in our thoughts and prayers over the coming days/weeks/months. Please continue to read the fun adventures of other pilgrims and start planning a commemorative camino yourself. I feel sure that your late partner would want you to carry on the adventures you have shared and were planning in the future. Buen Camino.

My initial answer was to say:
1. Absolutely the best source of Camino information anywhere.
2. A great way to plan, share and reminisce about the Way.
Now...I can add a third: a support system from friends who understand.
I met so many on the Camino who were trying to "stabilize" after loss; one is now a great friend.
Susan, you have friends and support here and you will find many, many more intimately on the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Deepest sympathy Susan. I was in a very similar position a few years ago. I took a year to decide and then set off. It was a bitter sweet walk. But with the help and encouragement of Camino Angels from Alaska and Germany I completed it. Ultreia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Many of you know I spent most of my career as an intelligence analyst. That said, before I set out on any significant task, I research and plan. My thought is that anything nearly 1,000 years in the making has to be well-chronicled beyond the paperback book I held. I won't list all the books, tapes, and videos I read, listened to, and watched. Some were historical, such as the "Codex Calixtinus," while others were tongue in cheek " I'm off then" by Hape Kerkeling, some credit this book with a marked increase in the number of Germans walking the Camino. The movie "The Way" with Martin Sheen had a similar effect on many English-speaking nations.
Arn
I am a “frequent flyer” on the Camino. The forum keeps me connected to like minded fanatics and new users alike much like the actual Camino’s. Several experienced members actually live on the Camino and can lend knowledge and assistance on a first hand basis.
Lately Ivar has been providing video information videos which are informative as well as entertaining.
I will add one resource to Arns research list. For me it was invaluable.
The Pilgrims Road to Santiago: A practical guide for Pilgrims by Millán Bravo Lozano. It was published originally in Spanish but I also have the English version especially published for Turespaña.

The forum is lots of things to me. Maybe on an existential level, it’s a reassuring signpost that says “it’s not just you, you’re not crazy”... which honestly, I feel sometimes when I try and speak to people in my everyday life about the Camino.

On a more general level, it’s the only thing I’ve personally encountered that seems to reflect the true potential for good, of the internet....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Susan, we have no words for what you are going through.
We can only say sorry, we share your pain.
Anita y Gabriel

Dear Susan,
With the sudden death of your beloved husband, May God hold you in the palm of His hand and I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.
So sorry for your heartbreaking loss .....

I hope one day to meet some of you on the way

€149,-
The Forum is a constant reminder of the good things and good people from around the world who share our love of the Camino. I never fail to be inspired by the insights and joy which the members post for our edification, and always look forward to receiving my weekly update. There are regular contributors who, I assume, I will never meet in the flesh, but reading their thoughts and ideas makes me think of them as old friends. The willingness of complete strangers to extend the hand of friendship and offer sound advice to people experiencing the Camino for the first time is a heartwarming testament to the kindness of the Camino community. The genuine support and love which has been offered to Susan in her time of loss, all shown in the posts above, is a perfect example of what the Camino is all about.

@Arn - great post, thanks. Looking back I see I joined almost 10 years ago. Some years before I first walked the CF. Can't remember how or why. But glad I did. I feel that I have got to "know" a few people and I've felt a connection with folk from all over the world, even though I am an infrequent and unstructured contributor. It's a mark of what a global community can be.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Arn
I second that sentiment.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.