• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easter Tarta Disaster Averted ????

witsendwv

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
1617479936426.png1617479994239.png

We renovated our kitchen several years ago, and since I do not bake often I am still getting used to the very hot French made oven that we purchased. About 10 minutes into the baking process I realized that it was not sugar caramelizing nicely that I was smelling. 😢 We quickly covered our Easter dessert with foil and continued cooking, hoping for the best. I used my husbands jamonera to slice off the burned top, and with a little extra powdered sugar I have high hopes for tomorrow. Since we are not having any guests it doesn't have to look pretty, just taste good. 🤞 Happy Easter to all, and prayers for a soon to be Buen Camino. Ultreia. 🙂

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It definitely was overcooked to say the least, but we were able to salvage the tarta by slicing off the top 1/2 inch and covering it with more powdered sugar than we typically use. Since it is just the two of us for Easter dinner, a little vanilla ice cream with make it all OK. I usually defer to others for baking, and stick to stews and roasts, but every now and again that sweet tooth needs some satisfaction. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a very close relationship with the timer on my smartphone. It is my most treasured kitchen tool. All I have to do is say "Hey, Siri, turn the timer on for .... minutes". No more burnt cakes.

Ahhh, the remembrance of kitchen disasters past. Worst/best occasion was a chocolate cheese cake I made and left to cool on our kitchen table. I was feeling like a flu bug had grabbed my body, so went to lie down for a bit. My wife walked into the kitchen a few minutes later to see our hound with both paws on the table and just beginning to lick the top of the cheesecake. A severe scolding and ruckus ensued with the mutt banished to the back yard. My wife managed to carve a perfect small circle in the top of the cake, eradicating all indication of doggie damage. Later, I filled the top with chocolate creme icing and served it to our family. No one even noticed the "extra icing" filling the middle of the cake.
Note: no more cheesecake making and I'm 45 lbs lighter... to my family's disappointment and disgust. Occasional pointed remarks (and hints) about chocolate chip chiffon cake, chocolate cheese cake, etc... go unheeded by this righteous convert to healthy eating.
There are no kitchen disasters... just unimaginative chefs. Bon appétit!

Joyeuses Paques and Buen Camino!

I have a very close relationship with the timer on my smartphone. It is my most treasured kitchen tool. All I have to do is say "Hey, Siri, turn the timer on for .... minutes". No more burnt cakes.
I don't have Siri or Alexa, and there is no cell phone service at my house. We were using a simple kitchen timer; that was only half way through the time we had set. I knew I should have checked sooner, but I don't like to open the oven door. We’ll continue to perfect. Yum. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.