• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Offer one Camino suggestion.....

Giving some thought to the matter is this...
Ahead of planning and gear stocking, start preparing your feet...
wear your boots to work daily if possible, let the feet get warm , squeezed and strong through exposure to the daily grind...
get the surprise of a blister in the comfort of everyday life, so you know how much your feet and your boots cooperate...
without this weathering of your most valuable asset, you are done for when you start out.
Everything else come second....
My advice is to try different types of footwear. You will probably find that boots aren't necessary. I prefer sandals.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Travel insurance (i.e. medical insurance for whilst outside of own country, plus trip interruption/cancellation insurance).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Don’t carry 10% of your body weight in your pack— you’ll carry too much stuff and too much weight. And don’t wear heavy hiking boots. Instead, wear lightweight trainers or all terrain running shoes— and make sure your shoes are a size or two larger than your “usual” size.

If you are uninjured at the end of the first week, you will most likely make it to SdC. Don't overdo the first few days. Your emotions and energy levels will be high, but hold back....it's a long road ahead. If you can walk it without injury you will enjoy it more. This happened Day 1 of my first Camino. You don't want to see what it looked like by the time I got to Santiago. Be good to yourself.6E3F1A42-0582-4F70-80C3-185DC2DA9DBA_1_105_c.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have two friends who are preparing for their Camino in September 2021. If you could offer first-timers one piece of sage advice from your Camino experience what would it be? Hint: may it be something unique they’re not already hearing...such as “don’t pack too much”
Politely listen to advice from past walkers/cyclists, absorb it then make your own decisions based on common sense. There is a lot of information out there, and all those people have different quantities of resilience and their reactions to situations which may or may not, in similar situations, bother you. As my dear friend who went before me said, 'Make it your own Camino'. Remember they won't be out there when the whips are cracking!

I lay my clothes on my towel, then fold the towel over them and twist and wing the towel.

If you do bring a separate adapter tape it to your charger so that you don't leave it behind in the socket.
And a 6ft/2 meter long charging cable is very useful.

For some but not for all.

Right. No point asking for directions when you can't understand the answers! Unless it's someplace nearby where pointing and gesturing will suffice.
Here's a trick: Follow the direction that the local is pointing at. After a while, repeat with another local, and so on. Just remember to begin your question with "Dónde está ... por favor?" and never forget to say "Gracias" at the end.

I have two friends who are preparing for their Camino in September 2021. If you could offer first-timers one piece of sage advice from your Camino experience what would it be? Hint: may it be something unique they’re not already hearing...such as “don’t pack too much”
If like me you are retired and have nothing to get back for don't book your return trip until you are in Santiago. This way you can take as long as it takes without feeling under pressure. You can do as much or as little as suits you each day. On my first Camino I walked some way with a German guy who arrived at the cathedral at 13.00 and was due at the airport at 19.00 on that day he finished. He was very stressed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Remember to have patience at all times, the Camino can be testing, and with it keep humour at hand to laugh at difficult situations. Your Camino will be physically over so soon, so don't waste time dwelling on things that will steal your happiness.

The night before you depart...empty your pack again and REALLY remove that item(s) that you think you might need. If you really find you did need it, the Camino is not the backwoods, it's a long walk, mainly slept in a building with a solid roof over your head. You'll walk through forests, small villages and large cities where anything you might need can be readily purchased.

I agree with about half of the above, and the only reason that I know which half is that I have walked four caminos and am hopefully preparing for my fifth. All that I can say to others is: "It's your camino. Open your mind and your heart to what it has to give you."

I agree with about half of the above, and the only reason that I know which half is that I have walked four caminos and am hopefully preparing for my fifth. All that I can say to others is: "It's your camino. Open your mind and your heart to what it has to give you."
Well said! Advises are just personal opinions - like navel, everybody has got one. Go discover for yourself, I say.

Remember...

Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence and nothing too much
Ralph Waldo Emerson,
Country Life, 1858
This is great? I’ve read many of Ralph Waldo Emerson quotes, yet never came across this one. Thank you 🙏🏻 I think I will need to find this book - Country Life

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well said! Advises are just personal opinions - like navel, everybody has got one. Go discover for yourself, I say.
I agree. I disagree with some of the advice on this thread, and would advise not to follow it. However, my advice is perfect and should absolutely be followed. 😂😂😂

Just one piece of advice?

Easy.

Submit.

You may have plans, expectations, and be eager to experience specific things.

But as soon as you set foot on the Camino ..............let go.............

Open your eyes, your ears, your heart to whatever comes your way.

Just submit to the experience.

You will be guided along the path......and if you are open enough.......you will learn amazing things.

Just submit and go with the flow :)
I recall on my first departure, which was from Saint Jean, that the volunteer at the office there told us pretty much exactly this. “Submit and be humble. The way is more powerful than you are. You cannot outrun it; you will hurt yourself, and the way will continue on its way.”
And yet there were those who *did not listen* and whom we had to say good-bye to before we left Navarre — infected blisters, bursitis, blown knees...
Spouse saw the same 4 years later when a French woman had to be retrieved from Larrasoaña by her husband with the car because her feet were so blistered she could not bend them...
Which reminds me — dear, charming young people: Blundstones are not hiking shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Right. No point asking for directions when you can't understand the answers! Unless it's someplace nearby where pointing and gesturing will suffice.
When I was in a city where I don't speak the language and need directions, I would ask for them and then watch the hands. Often, when people give directions, they gesture with their hands. I did't try and follow the whole directions. I focused on where they are pointing first. I'd go a couple of blocks in that direction and then repeat. Eventually, it got me to where I need to be. :)

Of course, in these days of Google Maps and Google Translate, it isn't such a concern.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Don't seek suggestions.
Absolutely seek suggestions! Why ever not? Many of my best travel (and pilgrimage) experiences have come from the suggestions of those who have been to a place before I have. OMG. Why would one ever seek to deprive oneself of these gems?

Just, under no circumstances, let yourself be bound or attached to the suggestions.

This is great? I’ve read many of Ralph Waldo Emerson quotes, yet never came across this one. Thank you 🙏🏻 I think I will need to find this book - Country Life
Country Life was a lecture given by Emerson in 1858 in Boston. You can read it in this reprint of the 1904 issue of The Atlantic Magazine.

Carpe diem!
MM

Last edited:
Use colored shoelaces, and turn your boots/shoes in the opposite direction of everyone else on the racks
Turn your socks & liners inside out, to keep the seams from rubbing blisters
Either wear sock liners, imoji socks or nylon knee highs under your socks.
Try everything first. Wear your poncho/rain jacket in the rain. Sleep in your sleeping bag. Wash all your clothing by hand. Try all of your sock/boot/shoe combinations on some long walks before you go. Try your soap/shampoo/laundry detergent to see if you like it.
Take your own pillowcase.
Wrap some neon duct tape around your poles, to help identify them and you may need the tape sometime
Take photos of your friends. Write their names down each day in your guidebook. Make notes about the places you stayed and your meals. Take photos of your bed, room, meals. Take photos of anything you like actually.

Try sandals instead of boots. Or trail runners.

Learn how to read a Spanish menu: Not only the menu items (cordero, gambas, alubias, etc.), but cooking styles (al horno, asada, de cuchara...). This will broaden your food possibilities beyond the pilgrim menus and allow you to enjoy one of the greatest pleasures of the Camino. If you see something served to someone else that looks good, point it out to your server and ask about it. And don’t rely on fellow pilgrims for restaurant recommendations — we’ve had our most delicious meals at restaurants recommended by locals (folks managing the alburgues and pensions, Spanish pilgrims, or just a couple of old men sitting on a park bench).

If the light goes out when you are in a Spanish toilet, wave your arms: they are motion activated. If you are in a Portuguese toilet and you can actually locate the light switch, you are a genius: Portuguese electricians are a strange tribe and whatever it is that motivates them, it is not a desire to make life easier for the rest of humanity. Believe me, I lived in Portugal for three years and I love them all to bits but I could never locate the sodding light switch in the bathroom.
Oh yes, I too love Portugal, its people, and their quirks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great advices above indeed! But I hardly can imagine bunk-bed-sleeping or communal dinners in the year 2021 of corona era.. So either private accommodation or camping out where it is possible?

If you are uninjured at the end of the first week, you will most likely make it to SdC. Don't overdo the first few days. Your emotions and energy levels will be high, but hold back....it's a long road ahead. If you can walk it without injury you will enjoy it more. This happened Day 1 of my first Camino. You don't want to see what it looked like by the time I got to Santiago. Be good to yourself.View attachment 98632
TMI !!!

For first timers two things are crucial. Make sure your walking shoes/boots are well broken in and buy the lightest gear that you can afford. The Camino is not a race so take the time as you walk along to appreciate all that you see. Stop and chat with locals if you can. They have vast knowledge of the terrain that you’re walking on and can almost always offer good advice. Enjoy the experience.

In the movie "City of Gold," about the LA TImes' food critic, Jonathan Gold, there was a suggestion for getting good restaurant recommendations. Practice saying it in Spanish or have a Spanish speaker write it out for you to show a local. It goes something like this: Pretend if you've just returned home from six months away, maybe a job down in Australia. You are finally back home. What restaurant would you go to and what would you order that means to you, "I am finally home." Have them write down the answer and be sure they include what to order. Alternatively, ask if there are is a local specialty. One time a proprietor pointed out the window, "See those cows? This is their cheese."

Take small gifts to give out. I made dozens of rosary bracelets out of surveyor's string. For my next walk, I've made dozens of laser cut pins of the shell.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Try and stop for a second each day and look around; "I'm in Spain! This is amazing!" Blink hard. Promise yourself that you will remember.

Leukotape.

Dried fruit.

Ok. That's three.

In the movie "City of Gold," about the LA TImes' food critic, Jonathan Gold, there was a suggestion for getting good restaurant recommendations. Practice saying it in Spanish or have a Spanish speaker write it out for you to show a local. It goes something like this: Pretend if you've just returned home from six months away, maybe a job down in Australia. You are finally back home. What restaurant would you go to and what would you order that means to you, "I am finally home." Have them write down the answer and be sure they include what to order. Alternatively, ask if there are is a local specialty. One time a proprietor pointed out the window, "See those cows? This is their cheese

a simple ¿Dónde podemos comer? worked just fine in most of the cases 😎

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't pack any expectations..

Try and stop for a second each day and look around; "I'm in Spain! This is amazing!" Blink hard. Promise yourself that you will remember.
I love this. Really inhabit this body, here, now - and know that. Not taking anything for granted.
(It's a pretty safe bet that everyone here will be saying that next time we can physically walk a Camino, as opposed to virtually. ❤️)

On a Camino ( especially a lesser travelled one ) always go where the local families on Sunday go for their lunch. The restaurant they choose will be good, trust me.
Yes! I am grateful I got to tag along after you on the Vasco, watching this in action.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't be afraid to go solo when you feel like it. Lag the crowds when you start and stop in places off-piste where no one else is stopping. You meet the most unusual characters, some of whom smell worse than you...

Attachments

• iPhone Photos 2018 273.JPG
    iPhone Photos 2018 273.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
Photograph every place you stay at. When you look at your photos again, it could be hard to associate times, faces, and places etc, but a photo of the albergues/hotel etc will be a peg for the memories. I wish I'd done it on my first camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't over think and overplan take it as it comes and finish early each day

Don't over think and overplan take it as it comes and finish early each day
Take great care in selecting your boots. Blisters can blight your enjoyment of the Camino. Ensure the boots fit well and there is wriggle space for your toes. Wear good quality socks. After that just place one foot in front of the other and “Buen Camino”

When I was living in Portugal one question I would hear from Americans is "Jane, why don't they.....?" (fill in the blank: eat dinner at 5 p.m., stay open after lunch, speak English......etc..... ). It still puzzles me how anyone could go to the country from which ships sailed that "discovered" there was actually land over here, and think that the way we happen to do things here would be some kind of universal norm. not meaning to judge, but sincerely puzzled.
So my one suggestion might be to learn something about world history..?

Take great care in selecting your boots. Blisters can blight your enjoyment of the Camino. Ensure the boots fit well and there is wriggle space for your toes. Wear good quality socks. After that just place one foot in front of the other and “Buen Camino”
And maybe boots of any kind won't suit your feet. My feet will not tolerate them.

When I was living in Portugal one question I would hear from Americans is "Jane, why don't they.....?" (fill in the blank: eat dinner at 5 p.m., stay open after lunch, speak English......etc..... ). It still puzzles me how anyone could go to the country from which ships sailed that "discovered" there was actually land over here, and think that the way we happen to do things here would be some kind of universal norm. not meaning to judge, but sincerely puzzled.
Or perhaps simply embrace the differences!
And maybe boots of any kind won't suit your feet. My feet will not tolerate them.
Same here. I have found that my feet do best in sandals.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed your one piece of friendly advice! Its a great collection. I'll add my one suggestion. Include some stair climbing/ stair stepping as part of your physical prep. I found the football grandstand at a local university to be perfect. It was an effective way to prepare for the uphills of the Camino as well as an overall conditioning aid that pays off especially on long days.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maybe 'Why do they...?' would be a more valid question, and one that usually has a valid answer. My favourite quote from possibly the definitive modern travel book is the opening from Laurence Sterne's 'A Sentimental Journey'- 'They order, said I, this matter better in France.' The author, of course, is confronted and goes on to point out that he has never been to France and so decides to go there. Read it before you start your next camino (and after that, 'As I Walked Out One Midsummer's Morning' by Laurie Lee).

Incidentally, I believe Señor Colon and his merry crew sailed from Seville, but I could be wrong.

Incidentally, I believe Señor Colon and his merry crew sailed from Seville, but I could be wrong.
That would have been difficult so far from the the sea!

I found this:

When Christopher Columbus sailed to the Americas in 1492, he left from the port of Huelva, west of Seville and Cádiz. However his second expedition was fitted out and left from Cádiz, as did his fourth expedition. It was Seville, and not Cádiz, that was to profit massively from the Americas.

That would have been difficult so far from the the sea!

I found this:

When Christopher Columbus sailed to the Americas in 1492, he left from the port of Huelva, west of Seville and Cádiz. However his second expedition was fitted out and left from Cádiz, as did his fourth expedition. It was Seville, and not Cádiz, that was to profit massively from the Americas.
Nailed it. Thanks. If I weren't so lazy I'd have checked. Though he could have left from Seville - it is quite a long way up the Guadalquivir, but even now it is navigable for sea-going ships. Now back to the topic before the moderators get on to us.:)

€83,-
If like me you are retired and have nothing to get back for don't book your return trip until you are in Santiago. This way you can take as long as it takes without feeling under pressure. You can do as much or as little as suits you each day. On my first Camino I walked some way with a German guy who arrived at the cathedral at 13.00 and was due at the airport at 19.00 on that day he finished. He was very stressed.
I booked my return in advance to get a good price but allowed for an extra week. I used the extra days on the Spanish bus system returning to Madrid for my return to USA. Visited Salamanca, Toledo, Sagovia, and of course Madrid. The Prado on Madrid was amazing.

I booked my return in advance to get a good price but allowed for an extra week. I used the extra days on the Spanish bus system returning to Madrid for my return to USA. Visited Salamanca, Toledo, Sagovia, and of course Madrid. The Prado on Madrid was amazing.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself and I agree with you about The Prada, it is one of my favourite museums. I am hoping to walk Camino Primitivo in October of this year.
Buen Camino
Vince

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Take your own pillowcase.
Wear some sort of double sock. Your choice, but try them out before you go. My preference is knee-high nylons and some kind of wool or ski sock. Others like the inijis. Others like silk. I am cheap so went for nylons. Prevents blisters the easy peasy way.
My feet love Meindl boots. The thicker soles keep my feet from aching like train runners do.

So many plaudits in my head for this! I actually wish people would step back from hoping to meet more people like themselves on Camino, as though it’s some kind of mobile summer camp.
Yes, we can make profound friendships out there.
But there’s something really ugly in the undercurrent of travelling thousands of miles to ignore the local languages, cultures, foodways, folkways and such that one passes along the way.
And yet that undercurrent *is palpable* in the indignant complaints: “Why don’t the restaurants want to feed us at 6pm?! We are tired! And we are paying!” or, “Whey must they have their festivals while I am trying to sleep! Don’t they know I’m a *pilgrim*?!” or, “Well why don’t these tiny villages put in Portaloos for us?!“ etc etc.
It might be worth recalling that the camino was supposed to form a kind of art and architecture and historical education for those who walked it in its earliest days, part and parcel of the idea of the “grand tour” for the moneyed classes, but more accessible for all kinds of interesting reasons that ranged from penance to healing.
My mother language is not english and i realize that my english is terrible. But every-time i read one of your posts, i get so impressed at not only by what you are expressing but your english too. The few posts i did read from you is so powerful, classy and beautiful. I have to confess some words i need to google lol but i just find “your way” to communicate through words beautifully, meaningful and deep. thank you.

If you wear glasses bring a hard case. There isn't always safe location to place them while you're sleeping.
and wasn't that perfect timing! I was headed to Walmart later today to get a soft case for my glasses for weight. Thank you

My mother language is not english and i realize that my english is terrible. But every-time i read one of your posts, i get so impressed at not only by what you are expressing but your english too. The few posts i did read from you is so powerful, classy and beautiful. I have to confess some words i need to google lol but i just find “your way” to communicate through words beautifully, meaningful and deep. thank you.
*Humble thanks*.

I frequently have to go back to edit my posts because I make comma faults or forget to close my parentheses... and I don't always catch those problems until quite a bit later in the game. About half of what I do for a living is write, and what I write needs to communicate ethics/consent/health matters in targeted population-health studies. (The other half of my job is about teaching -- mostly to undergrads -- about population health and about how cultures define "health").

Many, many colleagues are not great writers (because they are statisticians and their focus is not on communication, only on findings)... so I really try to be clear and compelling as a matter of habit.

That said, there are many deeply thoughtful and wonderful communicators on this forum and so it makes for some of my favourite daily reading. ...especially when the region I live in has largely been under some form of lockdown for about 16 months now.

So, thank you to this lovely community... and a big *Buen Camino* to @Renascer....

PS folks: Efrén Gonzales is back on the trail.... he left Santander today for Ponferrada to meet up with some people he knows taking a short Francés. When he finishes at SdC, he's going to head back tot he Norté and pick up some zig-zag trails... Spouse and I had our morning coffee while watching the first posting from today, and tears sprung to our eyes when the drone lifted up and swopped over that beautiful port city. The new series starts here:

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst advice that I have been given about walking caminos has always been about the most important issue: footwear and footcare. So I am giving my personal contribution to this conversation. Well before you leave home buy the footwear that seems to be best for you to wear for your camino route. Wear it on lots of long walks, with the socks and other footcare items that you think may work best for you. Start again if you need to. Don't take anyone's advice on footwear, except maybe advice on fit from the salesperson. Would you put someone else's footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) and socks on your feet?

The worst advice that I have been given about walking caminos has always been about the most important issue: footwear and footcare. So I am giving my personal contribution to this conversation. Well before you leave home buy the footwear that seems to be best for you to wear for your camino route. Wear it on lots of long walks, with the socks and other footcare items that you think may work best for you. Start again if you need to. Don't take anyone's advice on footwear, except maybe advice on fit from the salesperson. Would you put someone else's footwear (boots, shoes, sandals) and socks on your feet?
Absolutely. Our feet are as individual as our fingerprints, whereas shoes are manufactured and standardised. It is worth going to an upmarket or specialist shoe shop or hiking shop because they pay their employees to be knowledgeable (well some of them do), but remember to be clear about the kind of walking you are going to do - mainly firm surfaces, often hard (i.e. paved) and for long periods of time. Also, for women, men's sizes are often broader so think about a small men's size if you find women's shoes tight at the sides.

€83,-

When I describe a Camino to folks back home, I use two references.

The movie "Ground hog day" where you get up everyday and repeat what you did the day before until you learn what you are supposed too.

The second is a quote from the great philosopher Mick Jagger. "You don't always get what you want but you find sometimes you get what you need.

I recommend you do not have any expectations just get up every day and walk. There will be good days and not so good days. Just persevere and the Camino will teach you something about yourself.

It is also, imo, an introspective journey, A great time to just unplug and do some self soul searching.

Ultreya,
Joe

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back