• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any new info on Camino Torres

jmwlester

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 Camino Frances
2014 Jesus Trail
2016 Via Francigena (Italy)
2017 Camino Portugese
After impatiently waiting for 14 months, I have booked my flight to arrive in Madrid on August 3. The plan is to take a train to Caceres, walk to Salamanca via de le Plata, Camino Torres to Portugese camino, then on to Santiago.
I've read all the Camino Torres info on this site, but wondering if anyone has more current info than 2019?
I've walked parts of the la Plata and the Portugese so no worries there.
Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am about to walk the Trancoso-Braga section starting tomorrow so I’ll be able to give some updates about those stages shortly.
That will be a huge help in quelling my anxiousness about that part of the Torres.
Have a safe and delightful journey.
Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I sent an email, and the Salamanca folks say that it’s open for business, although they were a bit vague about housing options. They did note that the accommodation is generally easier in Portugal because there are good private options.

I’m wondering if you guys have seen this link — it looks to me like someone in Portugal is really stepping up his or her game! Lots of information available on these untraveled routes.

I sent an email, and the Salamanca folks say that it’s open for business, although they were a bit vague about housing options. They did note that the accommodation is generally easier in Portugal because there are good private options.

I’m wondering if you guys have seen this link — it looks to me like someone in Portugal is really stepping up his or her game! Lots of information available on these untraveled routes.

Thanks for that link @peregrina2000 ! We had not yet come across it, and it looks very useful. We've been so focused on the Nascente that we haven't had much time to plan this part of the journey, so we're going in a bit blind.

@jungleboy and I just arrived in Braga today, having walked the second half of the Torres from Trancoso. We had no problems finding accommodation, as most of the end-of-stage places are sizeable towns with multiple budget accommodation options.

The only exception to this was Mesão Frio, where we stayed at the fire station. Call ahead to the Bombeiros Voluntários at +351 254 892 222 to make sure they will have a place for you. Otherwise, there are various quintas scattered around the outskirts of the town, but they can be pricey.

From what I've read on @Magwood 's blog, the earlier stages of the Torres seem to pass through much more remote areas where albergues are the only option. She lists some hospitaleros' phone numbers in her daily writeups, which you can find at this link. Keeping in mind that she walked it in 2018.

Several changes have been made to the route, and the official GPS tracks we downloaded from the University of Salamanca website were sometimes wildly different from the waymarking on the trail. There was also inconsistency in the waymarking, with older painted arrows sometimes conflicting with newer wooden posts.

For more info, see @jungleboy 's daily posts on this thread.

Buen camino/Bom caminho!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.