• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An Illustrated Journey to the West by Domenico Laffi: An Abridged Version of the Pilgrim’s Diary

An Illustrated Journey to the West by Domenico Laffi: An Abridged Version of the Pilgrim’s Diary... 2021-06-01

No permission to buy ($9.00)

jefferyonthecamino

http://www.barrerabooks.com/ - Guidebooks
Time of past OR future Camino
jefferyonthecamino submitted a new resource:

An Illustrated Journey to the West by Domenico Laffi: An Abridged Version of the Pilgrim’s Diary - Bilingual Edition English and Spanish / Edición bilingüe inglés y castellano

Domenico Laffi was an Italian priest who was born in a small village near Bologna in 1636. Laffi’s account stands out from other historical pilgrim accounts because, unlike most other travel-writers, he was proud to present himself as a humble pilgrim. Furthermore, Laffi does not appear to have been a wealthy man, or at least he does not appear to have had the resources other travel writers had. In this manner, Laffi will rely on alms and basic hospitality for pilgrims on his journey across...

Read more about this resource...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm always a bit leery of abridged versions. Can you tell us a bit about the abridgement process and decisions?
Sorry for the delayed response, my sincere apologies, I have been somewhat off the radar these lat weeks.

Basically, the text is meant to accompany the illustrations and not the other way around. As I wanted a bilingual edition, the text fits on one page (both languages). Likewise, the text corresponds to the 'standard stages' that we do today, so some chapters are much shorter than others. Much of the original has been omitted, such as Laffi's recounting of the miracle at O Cebreiro, as these rather long sections do not fulfil the above criteria. These were the criteria. for the selection.

Please bear in mind that this is not another translated edition of the original but an illustrated book of the Camino from Roncesvalles using Laffi's travelogue as our cicerone.

Cheers,
Jeff

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.