• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD August 23rd - undecided

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

uncletim

Time of past OR future Camino
May '19, Oct 19
I'm thinking about flying into Lisbon on August 23rd and walking from Porto to Santiago.

I fly standby so able to make last minute changes.

the CDC site says do not travel to Portugal or Spain.

I am vaccinated and *always* wear a good quality N95 mask.

info on visitportugal is any covid test - PCR NAAT or Antigen works.

just on the fence at the moment.

my pack is 9lbs/4kg :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I tend to be conservative, maybe overly so. But the Delta variant would give me pause.

Then there's this possibility, which nearly none of the affected travelers anticipated - becoming a breakthrough case.

I did read that article. I have another window in late September

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, I think that anyone who is going to travel now has to consider the risk of being infected, having to quarantine, and hopefully emerging unscathed at the other end. I have seen that article, and think there is a delicate dance to do here. We have to look at the actual numbers and the actual percentages and decide whether in fact this is a risk we are prepared to take. We also have to consider whether we will put others at risk if we go. In some ways, though certainly not in all ways, it is like the debate over whether women “should” walk alone. Risks are real, but how to put them in the bigger statistical perspective and how to avoid falling into irrational fear are real challenges, especially since the human stories grab our attention.

I am talking to several close friends who are doctors and find that their calm rational assessment is helpful, but stories like these strike a real emotional chord.

If you're double vaccinated, and take good care (eat n drink outside especially) you should be ok. There's not a single case as far as I know of transmission by pilgrims, and if anyone knows of one, I'd be interested.

The reason why I am likely to not walk this fall (as I had hoped/planned) is the concern that one or more countries, including the US, could return to very strict limitations on travel, featuring strict quarantines at either or both ends.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.