• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino passport question

LindaH82

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hiya!

Just one week to go, then I'm getting on a plane to Porto, and a few days later I'll be starting my Camino from Vigo! Aaaaah! Excited and scared in equal measure. I'm getting all my ducks in a row, I've got most of what I need already, with most importantly: the credential! But... I'm not sure how to fill it in! My Spanish is lousy! Help!

I got the Holy Year credential from Ivar (thanks!) which is almost entirely in Spanish. The personal details seem fairly straightforward, but how does the place for the stamps work? There're little 'boxes' for the stamps, which I understand, but there's a larger box at the top of the page. What goes in there? I actually got it stamped at the basilica in the city I live, because I figured, well, it's the place I live. But it's not the place I'm starting from, nor where I got the credential. Did I mess up? What is actually supposed to go there? Do I write anything next to it? So many questions!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hiya!

Just one week to go, then I'm getting on a plane to Porto, and a few days later I'll be starting my Camino from Vigo! Aaaaah! Excited and scared in equal measure. I'm getting all my ducks in a row, I've got most of what I need already, with most importantly: the credential! But... I'm not sure how to fill it in! My Spanish is lousy! Help!

I got the Holy Year credential from Ivar (thanks!) which is almost entirely in Spanish. The personal details seem fairly straightforward, but how does the place for the stamps work? There're little 'boxes' for the stamps, which I understand, but there's a larger box at the top of the page. What goes in there? I actually got it stamped at the basilica in the city I live, because I figured, well, it's the place I live. But it's not the place I'm starting from, nor where I got the credential. Did I mess up? What is actually supposed to go there? Do I write anything next to it? So many questions!
The big box that you are referring to is usually filled in by the religious office which has issued the credencial. Ivar does not fill it in. You can perfectly safely leave it blank. Your fear of Spanish is a little concerning. It is worthwhile getting some phrases and vocabulary off pat as even on the Camino you are going to meet a lot of locals with absolutely no grasp of English at all. Obviously you are going to have a lot of peregrinos to ask for help but nonetheless...... I would particularly suggest that you familiarise yourself with a dozen or so food related words. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh, I know the basics of Spanish, introducing myself, asking for directions, food related words, etc. But I didn't feel comfortable enough guessing at the possible meaning (and Google Translate can be unreliable) and potentially messing up the credential, so I figured I'd ask here!

Currently on the Portuguese Camino, most churches (so far) have either had their doors closed or if open no stamp for credential.
Assume it is Covid related, last Camino almost every church had a stamp.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We ( my wife and I ) are planning a Francis from SJPdP in 2022. We did Leon to SdC in 2018 using Irish Camino Society Pilgrim Passports we picked up in Dublin while on holiday from 'down under' in 2017. There is plenty of room in these for stamps on our next Camino. My wife maybe interested in getting a Compostela and I may get a completion certificate. We didn't bother about certificates on our previous Camino. If we got the correct starting details at SJPdP in these passports would that be acceptable?

If no completion stamp was placed into it at Santiago, your credential is still “open” and usable. However, why not just get a new one in SJPdP and avoid any confusion?

If no completion stamp was placed into it at Santiago, your credential is still “open” and usable. However, why not just get a new one in SJPdP and avoid any confusion?
I have a couple of spares courtesy of Ivar's shop but the Irish ones are a bit special so be good to see them filled up. Thanks for the heads up.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a couple of spares courtesy of Ivar's shop but the Irish ones are a bit special so be good to see them filled up. Thanks for the heads
I have a couple of spares courtesy of Ivar's shop but the Irish ones are a bit special so be good to see them filled up. Thanks for the heads up.
oops, repeating myself again, must be an age thing?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On the Camino right now, and it's honestly fun to see all the places you can get a stamp. I got one at an icre cream shop in Pontevedra, they had a sello with a parrot, and there is a little arts&craft store in Combarro that has a really big one (it takes up 2 squares) with a witch on it!

On the Camino right now, and it's honestly fun to see all the places you can get a stamp. I got one at an icre cream shop in Pontevedra, they had a sello with a parrot, and there is a little arts&craft store in Combarro that has a really big one (it takes up 2 squares) with a witch on it!

Everyone seems to have a stamp don't they ? :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Where do Jews, Muslims, Atheists, Hindus, Buddhists, SIkhs, etc go for their first stamp :) :) :) :) ;)
They could go to a local church, even if it is one they don't regularly attend. That's unlikely, though.

On the CF from Roncesvalles, I got my first stamp at the albergue in Roncesvalles. On the CP from Porto, I got my first stamp at the Porto Cathedral.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.