• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino On the VDLP

jony jony

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( 2007) Via de la Plata 2016/2017 . Sept 2018...Via de la Plata...May2019 via de la plata
Hello......i will be starting out on the Via de la Plata from Triana hostel Seville on 10th Sept and whilst searching for a covid test in Seville for my return trip to the U K i came across this link ..........
https://www.andalucia.org/en/travel-assistance-insurance

It appears to be free Covid 19 Insurance provided by the Andalucian region just for tourists .
Hope i dont need to avail myself of this generous offer , but nice to know its there .

Regards....John

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello......i will be starting out on the Via de la Plata from Triana hostel Seville on 10th Sept and whilst searching for a covid test in Seville for my return trip to the U K i came across this link ..........

It appears to be free Covid 19 Insurance provided by the Andalucian region just for tourists .
Hope i dont need to avail myself of this generous offer , but nice to know its there .

Regards....John
John,
Thanks for your update. A similar tourist insurance also now exists in Galicia.
Did you ever resolve your search for long term parking?
Please do write when you can re the current conditions in Andalucia; such info is so helpful for pilgrims' future planning.

Stay safe and Buen camino

Hello mspath , regarding the long term parking , i did find long term parking at San Jose college in Seville , but after a small accident ( not my fault and on the way to my brothers funeral in Derbyshire ) my car is now in for repair , so a plane it is. I have got my Int driving permit , reserving ferry , upgrading breakdown insurance etc etc ,non of which i need for Ryanair of course :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Regards....John

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good heavens i am learning a lot today .
After reading that there is no charge to change a booking with Ryanair within the first 24 hrs of making said booking I went ahead and changed my return flight so as to give me more time to find a clinic for a Covid test .
I am not knocking Ryanair as the return flight is still cheap , but , do be aware that it is only the price of the seat itself that is free to change , so any other charges , choosing a seat number , hold baggage , sports equipment etc is lost i believe .

I had no extra to pay for the seat as it was the same price , but i had to pay again for seat choice and 15Kg hold baggage , so another 50euros extra .
As i say not a real moan but just something to be aware of especially if you have booked baggage and bike at £60 in the hold .....and there are 2 or 3 passengers .

If anyone knows any different please correct my post but this is how it played out for me this morning .
Regards.....John

Hi John,
That is indeed a generous offer! Thanks for posting it - it's very useful information for those planning to walk the Mozarabe as well as any of the other southern caminos.

I hope you have a wonderful ride and will look forward to following your posts. You are starting out in some beautiful riding country!
Elaine

Good heavens i am learning a lot today .
After reading that there is no charge to change a booking with Ryanair within the first 24 hrs of making said booking I went ahead and changed my return flight so as to give me more time to find a clinic for a Covid test .
I am not knocking Ryanair as the return flight is still cheap , but , do be aware that it is only the price of the seat itself that is free to change , so any other charges , choosing a seat number , hold baggage , sports equipment etc is lost i believe .

I had no extra to pay for the seat as it was the same price , but i had to pay again for seat choice and 15Kg hold baggage , so another 50euros extra .
As i say not a real moan but just something to be aware of especially if you have booked baggage and bike at £60 in the hold .....and there are 2 or 3 passengers .

If anyone knows any different please correct my post but this is how it played out for me this morning .
Regards.....John
Yes that's why that person created the website ryanarisevil.com some years back.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A bit of info on albergues on the Via de la Plata...municipal in Castelblanco de los Aroyas closed.... spent the night in Casa Salvadora 43 Avda Espagna , 400mts from the municpal ( 14 € )..... .municipale in El Real De La Jara closed ....spending the night at Alojamiento Del pelegrinos 100mts down from municipal ( 10 € ) hope this helps someone
Regards.....John

Last edited:
A bit of info on albergues on the Via de la Plata...municipal in Castelblanco de los Aroyas closed.... spent the night in Casa Salvadora 43 Avda Espagna , 400mts from the municpal ( 14 € )..... .municipale in El Real De La Jara closed ....spending the night at Alojamiento Del pelegrinos 100mts down from municipal ( 10 € ) hope this helps someone
Regards.....John
Many thanks for posting info. Are there only a few other pilgrims at each accommodation or is it busy? Have a wonderful ride.

Hello sunopo a few pilgrims about but a few i suspect are catching the bus and phoning a head as there are very few places available ....today nothing available in Fuente des cantos nor Calzadilla de Cantos ....looks like a bus shelter for me tonight 🙄🙄

€46,-
Nothing like usual of course , last night 5 pilgrims , the previous night 2 including me .
Another bit of info is that Covid testing for departing flight can be taken at Seville and Madrid airports , but dont know about Santiago.

Regards....John

nothing available in Fuente des cantos nor Calzadilla de Cantos ....looks like a bus shelter for me tonight 🙄🙄
Did you call hostal Rodriguez in Calzadilla (de los Barros btw.)? There is a hostel that had like 40 empty rooms when I stayed there. It was only 10 euro because the place is rundown. Gronze says 15 euro this year. Hostal Rodriguez is my second choice in Calzadilla

After reading that there is no charge to change a booking with Ryanair within the first 24 hrs of making said booking I went ahead and changed my return flight
Why you say during 24 hours from booking? You can change the date of your Ryanair flight for free until 7 days before this flight (I did it myself in August and it costed me nothing) and I believe you can change it twice (due to pandemic).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Happy penguin....just read it on the Ryanair website ..

Regards....john

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-122827_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-122827_Google.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 7
Happy penguin....regarding the hostal Rodriguez ,that is where i was and there were no vacancies . I said i would stay in the bus shelter outside and i had a drink on the terrace . The owner came out later and said they have found me a room .The problem is that i think during the pandemic they can only rent out a certain number of beds . They did not look at my passport nor register me as staying there , so i think i was an excess guest . The price was indeed 15€ but dont count on the fact that there are 20 rooms at the hostel .
Regards....John

Happy penguin....regarding the hostal Rodriguez ,that is where i was and there were no vacancies . I said i would stay in the bus shelter outside and i had a drink on the terrace . The owner came out later and said they have found me a room .The problem is that i think during the pandemic they can only rent out a certain number of beds . They did not look at my passport nor register me as staying there , so i think i was an excess guest . The price was indeed 15€ but dont count on the fact that there are 20 rooms at the hostel .
Regards....John
thanks John for this useful information, including bus shelter info as backup accommodation 😀.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for the update, been camino

Regards....John
Hello I see this was 2021 but still refers upto 2022 June. Do you know in a case of needing this how you contact them or what do you do to get it ? Thank you

Hello Lynnehardy .....https://www.andalucia.org/en/travel-assistance-insurance

This has all the information and it looks like the scheme is still in operation untill June 2022 .

I think if you present yourself with Covid symptoms at any medical facility then the insurance will be activated automatically .

In the info it states " it is not necessary to contact the insurance , if you meet all the requirements then you are covered ".

Hope this helps .

Regards........John

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Lynnehardy .....https://www.andalucia.org/en/travel-assistance-insurance

This has all the information and it looks like the scheme is still in operation untill June 2022 .

I think if you present yourself with Covid symptoms at any medical facility then the insurance will be activated automatically .

In the info it states " it is not necessary to contact the insurance , if you meet all the requirements then you are covered ".

Hope this helps .

Regards........John
Thank you sounds reassuring that Spainish hospitals will cover for covid and f we needed to self isolate expenses too.

Most read last week in this forum

I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back