• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Deteriorating Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, must say, that, I experienced that most people seemed quite happy to be walking again. Most bikers were quite aware of their surroundings, slowed down, didn’t cause walkers to jump out of their way,….some even exercised cute bells. Peaceful time even though there was heavy traffic from Sarria. One group of four bikers, lead cyclist, played a recorded song loud enough for us to hear when they were approachng. Most of us us were amused.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I, must say, that, I experienced that most people seemed quite happy to be walking again. Most bikers were quite aware of their surroundings, slowed down, didn’t cause walkers to jump out of their way,….some even exercised cute bells. Peaceful time even though there was heavy traffic from Sarria. One group of four bikers, lead cyclist, played a recorded song loud enough for us to hear when they were approachng. Most of us us were amused.
Collective noun for Spanish cyclists - a shouting. The Spanish, god bless them, love to talk to each other and being on a bicycle is no barrier to a continual flow of animated conversation. We were always aware of the approach of a group of bicigrinos, with a hearty 'buen camino' left in their wake as they headed for the nearest horizon.

Of course, in this case the offenders were clearly not in self-centred, individual bubbles.
Lol, I should have been clearer. They were together in a self-centered bubble. 🙃

Next camino perhaps I will take a laminated card (or perhaps a pack of little business cards) containing the phrase 'Would you mind not doing that?' in 50 different languages.
Certainly, little business cards with a message could easily be left to inform the oblivious. And then if you happen to see one of the people reading it looking confused, the door is open for more specific sharing.

But is that the cowardly option? It's an open question - I actually have no settled opinion. Other than thinking that not saying anything because 'surely they know' or 'not my business' or 'surely someone else will tell them this isn't ok" feel like cop outs. What we do in communal spaces affects everyone, so it's everyone's business.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
“Scoring” anywhere is not wholesome.
I don't understand. You must be using the word completely differently to any meaning I give it, even as a slang term for having sexual intercourse. Conducting the act in a communal space isn't something I suspect most of us want to see, but even that doesn't make it unwholesome. What might be is any form of coercion, unsafe practices, and perhaps a few other similar things that suggests informed consent isn't freely given.

I don't understand. You must be using the word completely differently to any meaning I give it, even as a slang term for having sexual intercourse. Conducting the act in a communal space isn't something I suspect most of us want to see, but even that doesn't make it unwholesome. What might be is any form of coercion, unsafe practices, and perhaps a few other similar things that suggests informed consent isn't freely given.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lol, I should have been clearer. They were together in a self-centered bubble. 🙃

Certainly, little business cards with a message could easily be left to inform the oblivious. And then if you happen to see one of the people reading it looking confused, the door is open for more specific sharing.

But is that the cowardly option? It's an open question - I actually have no settled opinion. Other than thinking that not saying anything because 'surely they know' or 'not my business' or 'surely someone else will tell them this isn't ok" feel like cop outs. What we do in communal spaces affects everyone, so it's everyone's business.
Right ... I get it. Anyway, what to do about unacceptable behaviour? I don't know. Half of me says 'It's wrong, don't put up with it' and half of me says 'you will achieve nothing from confrontation other than fruitless and possibly damaging conflict'. Wisdom is fine in a general sense but judgement is more useful in specific situations. I guess if no harm is done other than offending people's sense of propriety, it is better to walk away and hope that the offender will learn better manners (and the camino is a good teacher) so that you save your energy to protect those who need it.

Relatively early in my CF, a couple of days after Pamplona, after a long day, other pilgrims and I were having a bit of a siesta in the bunk room. A young (er) woman came in, talking loudly to a guy that it seemed she had recently met.

Everyone in the room got to hear that she was ex-military and now worked in law enforcement. After suffering in silence for a while, and hoping that someone else might say something, I politely asked her if she could please take her conversation to another room as I and others were trying to get some quiet rest in the bunk room.

The young guy that she was talking to left but she didn't. I got the strong impression that she didn't like being told what to do and while I had previously come across the expression "staring daggers" I hadn't really appreciated quite what it entailed until then.

She did at least stop talking but any time that I encountered her in that Albergue after that she made it very clear that she did not like me.

It was probably worth it to get the quiet time but I think that while you can talk about courage all you like, most people do not want to get involved in calling someone else out.

I have been in restaurants, where couples get into heated arguments, disturbing everyone. I give them a couple of minutes, and then, if the talk doesn’t die down, I-politely getup, and either, in a very low key, ask them to please be aware that their, clearly..private conversation,is carrying to all of the patrons in the restaurant…..OR, I get up and ask for management and make them aware that there is a problem.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was probably worth it to get the quiet time but I think that while you can talk about courage all you like, most people do not want to get involved in calling someone else out.
Very true. We're hard-wired to get along, after all. Which is why people often get away with inconsiderate behaviour.

I remember as a hospitalero in Burgos a young man left and returned an hour later because he forgot to leave a donation. Truly a class act.

View attachment 110645

That was the box where I put my donativo in, there was already money in there. It was not a normal "give and take" box for unwanted gear. Or maybe pilgrims just misused it for their donativo? Who knows. I might remember wrong, but pretty sure that was in Granon. The box was out in the open, when you had gotten up the staircase, it was on the left on a table. Please correct me if I remember incorrectly, it was over two years ago.
Yes this was Granon. My wife and I were hospitaleros there and at first I always worried that people would not leave a donation. After a couple days I just became amazed how generous pilgrims were. By the way I never saw anyone take money.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I read this, and it makes the very point I was making, ie it's not sex that is the issue, but coercion. To quote one part of it

Let’s be clear, there is nothing wrong with having lots of sex

it then goes on to talk about the problems when there is verbal or physical coercion. The word 'scoring' is used twice, both in headlines. The content of the article doesn't use, or misuse, the term.

Of course, in this case the offenders were clearly not in self-centred, individual bubbles. If they had been, the situation would not have occurred. But I have been witness (if that is the right word) to pilgrims getting it on in the middle of the afternoon in a public albergue dorm, and they were neither young nor newly acquainted. They were an elderly married couple. The problem is what to do when someone's behaviour is clearly and obviously unacceptable. You think to yourself 'they must know this is unacceptable, but they are still doing it, so what would be the point of me telling them?'. My perception is that the camino is a remarkable example of a very large number of total strangers behaving extremely well with one another, so the exceptions stand out like small black dots on a large white surface. Maybe we need two threads: a spleen-venting thread and a what-to-do-constructively-about-bad-behaviour thread. Next camino perhaps I will take a laminated card (or perhaps a pack of little business cards) containing the phrase 'Would you mind not doing that?' in 50 different languages.
I must admit... when I read this my first thought was the :slow golf clap: gif.

I read this, and it makes the very point I was making, ie it's not sex that is the issue, but coercion. To quote one part of it

it then goes on to talk about the problems when there is verbal or physical coercion. The word 'scoring' is used twice, both in headlines. The content of the article doesn't use, or misuse, the term.

Let’s be clear, there is nothing wrong with having lots of sex, or with being straight. But when men set their value and worth on how much sex they are having–and when we as a society police men and men’s behavior to make sure they are having enough sex to keep their “man card”–we have a problem.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Let’s be clear, there is nothing wrong with having lots of sex, or with being straight. But when men set their value and worth on how much sex they are having–and when we as a society police men and men’s behavior to make sure they are having enough sex to keep their “man card”–we have a problem.

I know what you are saying but please do not make this a " man " thing. Just like there are well behaving youngsters and obnoxious seniors there are also women in life and on a Camino who set " their worth" in how much sex they have and how they can " score".

Maybe it would be good to have a small forum section for "ranting and venting" "negative experiences on the Camino" or something like that.

As someone else said before, it can be cathartic to write such things down and to discuss them, that's a very human thing to do, and it can be helpful.

But maybe if there was a dedicated section for such threads as this one, that way the negativity that tends to come with them could perhaps be somewhat contained, instead of being all over the forum...? Just a thought.
Yes, please. If I met a group of pilgrims on a Camino path complaining en masse I would walk faster or take a break and let them get far ahead of me.

I know what you are saying but please do not make this a " man " thing. Just like there are well behaving youngsters and obnoxious seniors there are also women in life and on a Camino who set " their worth" in how much sex they have and how they can " score".
I was simply responding to initial statement by someone who was referring to “score” in terms of sex…of course it would apply to females as well!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Maybe it would be good to have a small forum section for "ranting and venting" "negative experiences on the Camino" or something like that.
We wanted forum members to know that the mods have discussed this proposal and were unanimous in our opinion that it would not be a good idea. We never stifle negative commentary (though we realize that this type of thread tends to get contentious and rude, which winds up with it being closed). And we do encourage people to point out countervailing opinions to the more frequent rosy picture. But having a “gripe session subforum” could be seen as an encouragement to complain, and there’s really no point in that.

Complaints are helpful when they provide constructive advice or an interesting perspective, and that opportunity is there under our current system. If anyone wants to discuss this further, you can PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back