• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Paso de Formiga

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
"A Paso de Formiga" is the name of an albergue/hostel in Portos, about 6 km east of Palas de Rei. Do you know what this means? Perhaps you think you do, but you could be wrong. If you think it means "The Pass of the Ant", you are definitely wrong. It puzzled me because 'paso' is obviously masculine, but 'a' is the feminine definite article, so "a paso" cannot mean "the pass". 'Paso' has several meanings, including 'step' and 'pace', which has two meanings in English and it has the same two meanings in Galician: another word for 'step', as in two paces forward; and 'speed', as in keep pace with somebody. So I emailed the albergue/hostel to find out what the name means. It means "At (the) pace of (an) ant" i.e. slowly. I think that ants move quite fast, considering their size, but everyone's entitled to an opinion. It's an idiom. They can also say, with the same meaning, "A paso de tortuga". "A paso de caballo" means fast. 'A' means 'at' as well as 'the'. Btw, 'formiga' is Galician for 'ant'; in Spanish it's 'hormiga'
I've asked why the albergue/hostel is called "Slowly", but I haven't had a reply.
You're welcome!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for this little story.

Btw, 'formiga' is Galician for 'ant'; in Spanish it's 'hormiga'
This is a result of a sound shift (and consequent spelling change from f to h) in old Spanish, especially at the beginning of words, which did not occur in Galego or Portuguese. Apart from formiga/hormiga, there are other cognate words with this difference in Portuguese/Spanish like filho/hijo (child), formosa/hermosa (beautiful), falar/hablar (to speak) etc. It can also occur in the middle of words but this is rarer, e.g. almofada/almohada (pillow).

"A Paso de Formiga" is the name of an albergue/hostel in Portos, about 6 km east of Palas de Rei. Do you know what this means? Perhaps you think you do, but you could be wrong. If you think it means "The Pass of the Ant", you are definitely wrong. It puzzled me because 'paso' is obviously masculine, but 'a' is the feminine definite article, so "a paso" cannot mean "the pass". 'Paso' has several meanings, including 'step' and 'pace', which has two meanings in English and it has the same two meanings in Galician: another word for 'step', as in two paces forward; and 'speed', as in keep pace with somebody. So I emailed the albergue/hostel to find out what the name means. It means "At (the} pace of (an) ant" i.e. slowly. I think that ants move quite fast, considering their size, but everyone's entitled to an opinion. It's an idiom. They can also say, with the same meaning, "A paso de tortuga". "A paso de caballo" means fast. 'A' means 'at' as well as 'the'. Btw, 'formiga' is Galician for 'ant'; in Spanish it's 'hormiga'
I've asked why the albergue/hostel is called "Slowly", but I haven't had a reply.
You're welcome!
Bert45,
I trust that you have seen their 3d "sign"
towards Palas de Rey.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for this little story.

This is a result of a sound shift (and consequent spelling change from f to h) in old Spanish, especially at the beginning of words, which did not occur in Galego or Portuguese. Apart from formiga/hormiga, there are other cognate words with this difference in Portuguese/Spanish like filho/hijo (child), formosa/hermosa (beautiful), falar/hablar (to speak) etc. It can also occur in the middle of words but this is rarer, e.g. almofada/almohada (pillow).
I am currently re-reading the Cantar del Mio Cid in an edition that has the original medieval Spanish and a facing page translation and I noticed the f/h difference between the medieval Spanish I was seeing and the modern Spanish I'm more familiar with.

Side note: If anyone is curious who the Condes were in Carrion de los Condes, this is the place to find out.

I am currently re-reading the Cantar del Mio Cid in an edition that has the original medieval Spanish and a facing page translation and I noticed the f/h difference between the medieval Spanish I was seeing and the modern Spanish I'm more familiar with.
I also found this when I worked with medieval Spanish for the Estoria de Espanna project. I saw words like 'fijo' and 'formosa' in the 13th/14th century manuscripts.

Wonderful information! "filius" becomes "filho" (or the Spanish equivalent of the Portuguese) becomes "hijo" -- Yes...I had wondered how that happened. Thank you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed there in 2019. Because of the giant sculptures in the yard, I thought it translated as the Path of the Ants, particularly because of the lines of small ants that I kept noticing inside the albergue. 😄 I guess sometimes you just have to accept that ants will make their own way!

IMG_20190424_074841.jpg

It is little known, but centuries ago the snails had their own camino. They only traveled to Santiago from
about 1 km out, but it still took them several months.

The tale is told of a group of snails that was set upon by a group of turtle bandits. The turtles beat
the snails and stole their equipment. The snails moved as quickly as they could to report
the assault to the Guardia Civil.

When the policeman asked the snails for a description of the bandits, they replied, "We really cannot say. It all happened so fast."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.