• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Laundry Prices

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
For those who have already walked this season:
What were the average prices for doing laundry in machines this year?
Did the prices include detergent?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In Mieres on the San Salvador at the University 1 euro for wash drier free.
up to 3 and 3 for wash and dry. Many times you could find some one to share cost.
Then there are places like Bodenaya which is donativo.

Prices almost always included detergent. The most common combination was 3 + 4 euros for washing and drying. Sometimes those prices were reversed. Private albergues were among the more expensive. Municipals and Xuntas a couple of euros cheaper. Washing and drying in a Xunta was only 2 + 3.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was under the impression that most places did not have laundry equipment so washing your clothes in the sink was the norm. Is that right? How often can you find places with washers and dryers? (I do my first camino next year. I'll be on the Le Puy route all the way to Muxia.)

Last edited:
I was under the impression that most places did not have laundry equipment so washing your clothes in the sink was the norm. Is that right? How often can you find places with washers and dryers? (I do my first camino next year. I'll be on the Le Puy route all the way to Muxia.)
Many privates have laundry facilities. I have a planning group if you’d like pm me.

It's my experience that you are not allowed to use your own laundry detergent. The albergues are very cautious with the washers and dryers, and want to control the amount and type of detergent that goes in them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That is the way it used to be. Now most private Albergues offer the service.

Ten years ago if someone had a centrifuge it was a bonus.

Last edited:
I must be slumming it since I have almost never seen a washer/dryer in an albergue (5% of the time, perhaps?)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I stayed in a small hotel in La Isla and out of despration had to get laundry done as my sink skills are not the best :) It took 14 hours to have a small bag of clothes washed and cost 10 euro. I was really surprized by the price :-( Needless to say I up'd my sink skills after that :)

Just a thought, especially with Covid around, it is safer to get a private room. Sharing a room with a bath, allows one to wash clothes daily. We try not to accumulate more dirty clothing than a days worth and keep up with the washing. We usually use the shampoo or body wash provided to do so. I also carry a small 3 oz bottle of liquid detergent as well as a few pieces of bounty which I cut up into strips. I shower first, wash and wring out the clothes in the shower, rinse myself again, then use the towel, to dry myself and towel dry my washed clothes. Some places provide hair dryers and it is at those establishments that I wash the pants and heavier tops. Those items. I blow dry only as a last resort at night. Most of the time, things dry by morning,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I was on the Francés this fall, many of the privates would wash dry and fold your laundry for those prices, but sometimes it was hours before you got your clothes back. Dryer became essential when the weather got colder and wet clothes wouldn’t hang dry overnight!

Just a thought, especially with Covid around, it is safer to get a private room. Sharing a room with a bath, allows one to wash clothes daily.
I hand wash my clothes daily whether I'm in a private room with a bathroom or an albergue.
The albergues all have laundry sinks to wash clothes.
Once a week or so I share the cost of a load of laundry with other pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As somebody who is allergic/nasal chemically sensitive to Tide (the national laundry soap of Spain), I usually wind up washing my shirts (merino wool) with an Allurette Washer (https://thescrubba.com/collections/all/products/allurette-washer) with liquid camp laundry soap I bring. Even the dryers are infused with Tide.

Socks, underwear, and pants were all able to be washed in laundry machines (as long as none got near my nose).

Food for thought if you react to scented laundry detergent. If not, 1-6 Euros per wash load. As you'd be doing laundry just about every other day (every third day at the max), figure on 2-3 Euros a day. Share loads if you can.

This fall in Sept. and Oct. 2 to 4 euros for washer, which is most common. Dryers less available but 3 euros and up. Good laundromats are becoming more common in larger towns (Burgos, Ponferada, etc)
Checked again with my husband. He said coin-op laundromat he could get by with 2 euros for the dryer as they are timed. More expensive for a dryer at the albergue, but more convenient. We seldom use the electric clothes dryer because most of our Camino clothes are merino wool or quick dry material, however, I agree that in winter it is nice to have an electric dryer (except for our easily shrunken wool clothes) and also reduces the bedbug possibility. If you are staying in a hotel, look for a laundromat on google maps if you want clothes machine washed and dried. There may be one nearby. They are usually quite clean and well-tended with machines in good working order unlike many laundromats I have used in the US. Instructions often in several languages--especially near the Camino.

At the albergue, the albergue linens/laundry are done first which may be why pilgrim laundry may be delayed. We always tried to start the albergue linen first thing after pilgrims leave, however, that depends on the size of the machine and the numbers of loads (if we have sheets to wash). I have never worked at an albergue that had an electric dryer--only a clothes line or an indoor clothes drying rack.

I must be slumming it since I have almost never seen a washer/dryer in an albergue (5% of the time, perhaps?)
Not slumming it, staying in municipals. I have not seen a washer in a municipal, but nearly all the private albergues have them now - or at least everywhere we stayed this past fall on the Frances. You might not SEE the machine, the hospitalero keeps it hidden away, and charges to do laundry.

Note for the ahem, unwashed: Spanish washing machines using automatic soap dispensers built into the machine. You don't add soap, you don't get a choice, and you can't turn it off. This is not how it works in NA, but universal in Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
At the albergues where we worked, we always had to add the soap although it is included in the cost of the load. You might be able to convince the hospitalero to use your soap if you have an allergy or even use no soap? At least if I was hospitalera, I would let you look at the soap and have a choice if you asked. I always buy the clear/allergy free soap at home and where possible elsewhere. At the commercial locations in Spain, soap is automatically dispensed. No choices.

Not slumming it, staying in municipals. I have not seen a washer in a municipal, but nearly all the private albergues have them now - or at least everywhere we stayed this past fall on the Frances. You might not SEE the machine, the hospitalero keeps it hidden away, and charges to do laundry.

Note for the ahem, unwashed: Spanish washing machines using automatic soap dispensers built into the machine. You don't add soap, you don't get a choice, and you can't turn it off. This is not how it works in NA, but universal in Spain.
Good to know re automatic washing machine soap dispensers.

I hand wash my clothes daily whether I'm in a private room with a bathroom or an albergue.
The albergues all have laundry sinks to wash clothes.
Once a week or so I share the cost of a load of laundry with other pilgrims.
Yes, Trecile, they may all have laundry sinks, but some albergues don't have a space to hang clothes indoors. I don’t use a dryer on my outerwear at home either. I let them dry naturally, indoors. 🤪

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As I take two sets and wear a third set, I washed my clothes every second day (Sept 2021, private albergues) and almost everywhere had access to a washer dryer, normally 4+3 for wash and dry and I never had to add detergent of any kind. Also, as I travel with my wife we wash both lots at the same time to keep costs down (well, I'm sent while she sleeps!)

For those rare occasions where we had to resort to a sink we took a small quantity of liquid soap with us, which was recommended for hair, body and clothes.

While washing of some kind was possible everywhere, as @Marbe2 says it was not always possible to find space on the washing line either indoor or outdoors

Waterproof is the name of some public ones - this one is off Cervantes in Santiago, and is clean and easy to use - be sure to have a lot of 1 & 2 euro coins, as the banks and bars nearby may be reluctant to provide change. There are change machines inside, but they may be out of change... i didn't find the washing powder that was included to be heavily scented.
I found one also in Miño on the Inglés, and saw a few more along the Frances.
1637421046596.jpeg
I have arthritis in my hands and find it difficult to hand launder...

There is a good one in Logrono, but off the Camino. Also a good one in Santo Domingo on the Camino. The one in Burgos is near the bus station and we also found a good one in Ponferrada. Just check Google maps. Another brand/franchise name is Coslada.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
After washing, is there a rack of clotheslines and clothespins to hang them to dry? I'm kind of guessing not... but...

After washing, is there a rack of clotheslines and clothespins to hang them to dry? I'm kind of guessing not... but...
Usually not but all laundromats have dryers.

Some albergues have clotheslines and some even have clothes pegs.

Not sure about those pins though 😉

Most albergues have a place to hang clothes, but you cannot always rely on finding space on the line, clothes pins/pegs, or dry weather. You may need to improvise around your bunk bed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would say that 99% of the albergues that I stayed in had clothes lines or racks for drying clothes. Clothes pins could be in short supply though. I always bring a few of my own.
This is typical
Picture1.jpg

Most albergues have a place to hang clothes, but you cannot always rely on finding space on the line, clothes pins/pegs, or dry weather. You may need to improvise around your bunk bed.
👍 we always carry a small extendable ‘peg less’ clothes line. It has hooks at each end and we’ve never had trouble finding somewhere to attach it. You can use with or without pegs. We also carry about 10 pegs for use on shared lines. All v lightweight. If you Google pegless clothesline, there are plenty available for just a few dollars.

€149,-
Apologies for slight detour off topic. But what a fabulous photo @trecile do you recall where it is?
I can't remember. I was thinking that it was Hontanas, but it doesn't look like the alberge that I stayed in when I check the photos on Gronze. In fact, it's possible that I didn't even take that picture! I've put together slide shows for my local APOC chapter with pictures from other pilgrims in the group.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Apologies for slight detour off topic. But what a fabulous photo @trecile do you recall where it is?

I can't remember. I was thinking that it was Hontanas, but it doesn't look like the alberge that I stayed in when I check the photos on Gronze. In fact, it's possible that I didn't even take that picture! I've put together slide shows for my local APOC chapter with pictures from other pilgrims in the group.

I may be wrong, but that looks like the alburgue at Hotel San Anton Abad in Villafranca Montes De Oca.

I remember having to walk down a grassy slope to get to those clothes lines, and it was agony as my feet were basically 2 large blisters at that stage lol. I ended up getting the bus to Burgos the following morning, and heading straight to a medical centre where I was told that the blisters were severely infected, and that I must stop walking for 7 days.
My worst day on the Camino, tears were shed!!

The positives of my enforced 7 days in Burgos are that I got to see everything Burgos has to offer, I met up with old Camino friends, made new Camino friends and because I missed walking the section between Villafranca De Montes Oca and Burgos, I'm just going to have to do another Camino asap lol

Last edited:
Santo Domingo:
3,5€ washer, 2€/30 minutes dryer, in the plaza right across from Albergue de Peregrinos. Photo shows albergue and the laundromat with the blue awning or trim.

20220519_183437.jpg

Lavandería Autoservicio
Pl. de la Alameda, 7

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It varies. But the biggest reason to hand wash is because you are washing every 1-2 days an the price of machine washing adds up really fast. The different apps will tell you who has washer/dryer facilities. Personally - I plan to hand wash most days and once or twice in a week I will do a machine wash. Sometimes you can find someone to share the costs of a wash/dry with you.

When walking together, we almost never handwash if there is a machine available. We had more clothes to wash with 2 people and that way you get a clean camp towel, clean undies, clean socks, and clean clothes rather than everything fading to the sort of gray color over time that comes with handwashing. Normally we don't use the dryer and just hang things out on the line. More dryers available now than in the past as are more washing machines.

Santo Domingo:
3,5€ washer, 2€/30 minutes dryer, in the plaza right across from Albergue de Peregrinos. Photo shows albergue and the laundromat with the blue awning or trim.

View attachment 125837

Lavandería Autoservicio
Pl. de la Alameda, 7
WOW!! A flood of memories came rushing in as I look at your photo. My first Camino in 2013 I used that very Lavanderia as a pilgrim friend and I sat outside getting to know one another. :) Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am walking now. The most common price that I have encountered in albergues is €5 for wash and another €5 for dry. Anything lower is a bargain. The washers in laundromats are €5 for a regular load and dryers are by the minute, so cheaper if you have quick dry clothes.

All prices have included detergent. IME.

ETA: The first two photos were from yesterday in Carrión de lis Condes; the last one from a while ago in Logrono.

Attachments

• 40BF84F6-4258-41C2-A758-41E00D691205.jpeg
    40BF84F6-4258-41C2-A758-41E00D691205.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 69A4B57E-1C07-466D-853F-649C343B5109.jpeg
    69A4B57E-1C07-466D-853F-649C343B5109.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 4B1F8BFF-600F-4ABB-A35C-DED2BB25AA0E.jpeg
    4B1F8BFF-600F-4ABB-A35C-DED2BB25AA0E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.