A Simple Eco-Friendly Solution for Hair and Body
Thoughtfully Clean Shower Bars by Redbudsuds
We believe that hair- and body-care should be simple, effective, and ready for adventure.
We believe that "living simply" doesn't mean sacrificing what matters, it means having the freedom to let what matters be your guide.
In 2002, my backcountry travels inspired me to switch to using all natural products. Finding quality shampoo was the hardest. Nothing I could find worked well enough or was laden with ingredients I couldn’t trust. That is, until 2014 when I started a soap company and started designing exactly what I had been looking for.
My aunt Elle has hiked several Caminos and has used and loved our shower bars every time. (She also has a really great pack-list at www.pilgrimagetraveler.com.) Redbudsuds has been my camping companion on many trips in the US, and I have dreams of walking a camino myself. Please send us pictures of your camino if Redbudsuds becomes part of your journey!
Redbudsuds shower bars are extraordinary. Here's why:
- effective as shampoo, conditioner, body soap and shaving (no waste, no clutter)
- made with simple, natural ingredients (no joke)
- great lather (with no synthetic additives)
- gentle on skin and scalp
- never spills in your backpack
- handmade with care
Typically, soap and hair aren't a good mix. But because we make ours from scratch, we are able to hand-select exactly what makes it work as a conditioning shampoo/shave/body soap. We've spent countless hours formulating a perfect blend using generous amounts of rich, conditioning oils like castor, coconut, olive and shea butter so that it doesn't act like "normal" soap. Our shower bars are designed specifically to provide moisture to your hair while gently cleansing the scalp. The side benefit is that it's a deliciously moisturizing treat for your skin as well, which is why we love them so much for traveling.
Our eco-conscious commitments
Our soaps have zero parabens, phalates, synthetic fragrances, sulfates or silicones. All our products are 100% free of palm oil (an environmentally destructive industry). Instead, we use sustainably grown, locally sourced lard. This solves two problems: we support local farmers and are resourceful with what otherwise would be thrown away. As members of 1% for the Planet (a non-profit for environmental philanthropy started by the CEO of Patagonia) we put planet over profit, by donating 1% of our sales to local land and water conservation efforts. In addition, we offer weekly inspiration with sustainable living tips and resources for action on our blog Thoughtfully Clean Field Notes.
A little bit about our scents:
- made from pure essential oils (which means real good smells + botanical benefits)
- men love them (especially the woodsy ones)
- women love them (especially the citrusy ones)
- bugs do NOT love them (especially ones with lemongrass)
- we have unscented options too (especially great for sensitive skin and scalps)
Choosing your bar:
- Citrus Sunshine | the best bar if you don’t know where to start. Great for all types, including combination hair/skin.
- That Extra-Meter Cedar | best for fine hair/oily scalps, also excellent as a facial bar
- Kickass Lemongrass | our most conditioning with henna and tea tree, best for dry scalps/hair
- Sea Clay Rest Day | like Sunshine, it’s great for all skin/hair types. Scent is very calming and slightly woodsy, with lavender, cedar and sage. Sea Clay also makes it the best shaving bar, giving just a little extra slip for the razor.
- Scent Free | for sensitive skin and scalps. Get all the great moisture, conditioning and gentle cleansing without any frills. What we recommend for babies, too.
Coming this summer: a super handy mesh bag that helps you get an amazing lather even faster and lets you hang your soap anywhere. Inquire if you’d like more info about this.
Buy Your Shower Bar Here
We ship from USA to North America + Europe.
Live elsewhere? Just ask!
So there you have it, our one-bar solution that works as well on the trail and in the great outdoors as it does at home. It's more than soap; it’s a symbol that small, every-day actions can make a big difference.
Here's to making it happen.
A little about me:
I’m Aubrey Helmuth Miller, a wilderness guide, music teacher, and maker. I started this handcrafted natural shampoo and soap company in northeast Ohio in 2014. My unexpected journey into business began with the desire to show that business is more than making money, it's about making a difference. Today, Redbudsuds specializes in thoughtfully clean shower bars and sustainable living inspiration to help people simplify their routines.
Small drops make an ocean. Let's make waves.
Click the link to try our “thoughtfully clean” soap today.