Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Resource icon

Voie de Rocamadour/GR 652 : Frescoes. Église Saint-Etienne du Maïl, (nr Pujols), France. 1

No permission to download
Voie de Rocamadour: Église Saint-Etienne du Maïl, (nr Pujols).

Frescoes Then and Now, a pictorial comparison by Lovingkindness

In1865 L’abbé Gerbeau discovered medieval frescoes in a side chapel of Église Saint-Etienne du Maïl. Further discoveries were made by a team of archeologists in1969. Tracings were made of the frescoes at that time using plastic film then published in an article by L. Echasseriaud*

Église Saint-Etienne du Maïl is derelict and not open to the public. After asking a friend to help and presenting myself at the Mairie in Pujols, I was granted access for an hour in the company of council members. In this resource I have put together a pictorial comparison between the tracings of 1969 and the photos which I took April 28, 2021. Included is a partial translation of 'Historique', the opening section of Monsieur Echasseriaud's article.

*Echasseriaud, L. (1971). Les Fresques Medievales du Mail. Bulletin du Groupe Archeologique de Sauvetage du Villeneuvois. Tome 1. Fascicule 2.

Cheers
Lovingkindness
Reactions: Rozenn
Author
lovingkindness
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from lovingkindness