• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD 🦠 Travelers from Japan into EU

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mycroft

Veteran Member
The Spanish authorities have announced that from June 7, the country will allow entry for Americans and other travellers from all over the world who have undergone the vaccination process using one of the vaccines approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA).

Nonetheless, everyone will still be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result upon entry, SchengenVisaInfo.com reports.

Vaccinated travellers should prove that they have received all the required vaccine doses at least 14 days before entering Spain.

In contrast, travellers from countries that are part of the Coronavirus safe countries’ list will be allowed entry without even having to submit a negative test result. Japan, Australia, and New Zealand are some of the countries included on the list.

Moreover, the Spanish authorities announced that they would allow entry to unvaccinated children as well, provided that they are travelling together with their vaccinated parents. Nonetheless, this does not apply to children over the age of six as they still need to present a negative COVID-19 test result.

Following the announcement from Spain, United Airlines disclosed that from June, they would resume their service of five flights a week between New York/Newark and Barcelona, and their six times a week flight service between New York/Newark and Madrid.

The airline company also plans to increase flights all over Europe, reaching countries that are to welcome travellers from the US.

Similarly, American Airlines also plans to double its flight services to Spain during June. The carrier is currently operating two flights to Spain daily, from Miami International Airport to Barcelona and from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport to Madrid.

Spain’s travel and tourism sector, which heavily relies on foreign travellers and is a key driver of the country’s recovery, has suffered severely from the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2020 foreign tourism of Spain registered a drop of 80 per cent due to preventative restrictions in Europe and all over the world.

However, as for 2021, Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez expects that with the revival of the travel and tourism sector, the country’s GDP will also benefit and allow arrivals to reach up to 70 per cent of pre-pandemic levels by the end of the year.

It is forecasted that this summer’s arrivals could reach somewhere between 30 to 40 per cent of levels of 2019.

Previously, Spain abolished its entry restrictions for all travellers from the UK, meaning that Britons will no longer be subject to quarantine and testing requirements.

The head of the European Commission also revealed that fully vaccinated US travellers will be able to visit other EU countries as well during this summer.

Enjoy your stay🙏
At times, I am slow, but are you saying, Peter, Japan is on this list of countries deemed safe and folks from there do not have to do even a COVID test to get into Spain? This is the same Japan that for the last several weeks has been having increased COVID cases and citizens are wanting the Olympics postposed or cancelled because of the infection, and the doctors are worried the hospital system will be overwhelmed? I must not be understanding something.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
At times, I am slow, but are you saying, Peter, Japan is on this list of countries deemed safe and folks from there do not have to do even a COVID test to get into Spain? This is the same Japan that for the last several weeks has been having increased COVID cases and citizens are wanting the Olympics postposed or cancelled because of the infection, and the doctors are worried the hospital system will be overwhelmed? I must not be understanding something.
I was wondering the same thing!

Case rates have actually been in decline for the last few weeks, and rates per capita are lower than some European countries. Nonetheless, with the ongoing state of emergency in many major cities and late-starting vaccination program, it is a strange country to include in a "coronavirus safe" list.

Perhaps they're doing it so that vaccinated members of the Spanish olympic team can come home from the games without the hassle of a quarantine.

EDIT - Actually, I can't see the source for Peter Franciscus' news that Japan is on Spain's coronavirus safe list. I am starting to doubt that it is actually the case. Can anyone point to the source for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
EDIT - Actually, I can't see the source for Peter Franciscus' news that Japan is on Spain's coronavirus safe list. I am starting to doubt that it is actually the case. Can anyone point to the source for this?

I think Peter quoted from a news article that was published by various sources (including the BBC) last week.

Retracing it to the original source: the official Spanish tourism website (https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/) mentions the following:

Important: Japan is one of the countries exempt from temporary travel restrictions. More information here (only in Spanish).

Entry requirements in Spain.

1. No PCR is required.
Japan is one of the exempt countries.

2. Form (information here). In all cases, it is mandatory to fill out the Spain Health Control form (FCS). It must be completed and signed it online before your trip to Spain. You may access the form and sign it through the Spain Travel Health portal or through the apps for Android or iOS devices. The personal identification number (passport / DNI) that you use to fill in the form must be the same that appears on the aforementioned negative certificate.

Looks like a hangover from days when things were calmer here.
Maybe I should take the opportunity to visit Spain... or maybe not.

says all sorts of fun things but for the purposes of this discussion....

Google trans says:

ANNEXED
Third countries and special administrative regions whose residents are not affected by the temporary restriction of non-essential trips to the EU through the external borders in the terms set out in this order:

I. States

1. Australia.

2. Israel.

3. Japan.

4. New Zealand.

5. Rwanda.

6. Singapore.

7. South Korea.

8. Thailand.

9. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

10. China.

II. Special Administrative Regions of the People's Republic of China

Hong Kong SAR.

Macao SAR.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back