• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

¿¿¿¿Peregrination Posponed????

bystander

Veteran Member
I had thought, originally, to post this in the Class of 2015 thread but that now looks rather over optimistic so I shall give it its own thread.

OVER-PLANNING, UNDER-PREPARING AND THE UNEXPECTED

I am five months shy of my supposed start date and already a victim of the above.

Some of you may have noticed my occasional interventions on this forum with such things as packing lists, proposed staging points and lastly a start date in Spring of 2015.

However lets start with a preamble to my intended Camino.

It’s not as if the Camino is something new to me for I have known about the pilgrimage to Santiago for nearly 60 years and with it have had the desire, at sometime, to undertake the journey.

The Camino then stayed dormant nestling in some corner of my subconscious until about 12-15 years ago when for some unknown reason it bubbled to the surface. This was a nascent time in the internet world without the present day number of sites and contributors and there was little to be found about the various pilgrim routes.

However I then discovered the Confraternity of St James and later was soon an avid reader of the contributions of Grant Spangler and Annette Raunsbjerg both of whose words/journals/photos only served further to fan the flames of that desire.

However with a young family and the pressure of work it could not be seriously contemplated at that time.

Time passed and in 2013 I began to plan properly because I could see a window of opportunity in 2015. And the planning was made possible in detail because of all that you that have contributed to this, Ivar’s, website – an invaluable resource.

This website was scoured and plundered for information. Routes researched, accommodation ditto, books bought, clothing with weights, volumes and prices researched, listed and evaluated. Purchases were made from afar as New Zealand and California. My family were warned that next Spring I would going for a “walk” (ho-ho) to Santiago de Compostela. I then even went so far as to book a date at Corazon Puro. All was falling nicely and neatly into place.

Time again passed.

And then life decided to play a Joker.

I am, or rather was, a not unfit, albeit with slight asthma and low hypertension, normal 68 year old.

However in September this year and out of the blue I was hit by an ailment called bullous pemphigoid – full-blown worst-case bullous pemphigoid – consequently and subsequently I spent nearly the whole of October in isolation in Intensive Care in hospital. Nasty disease bullous pemphigoid – Google it and in images. Not pretty!

Observation.

It has been said many times by many of you that the Camino throws up unanticipated quirks and problems but the Camino (or is it St James?) will provide.

I now feel that my “problem” – this ailment – was not “life” but the Camino chastising me for feeling complacent and smug in my organisational skills. Cheers Camino!

I am now home from hospital but weak as a kitten. I can barely walk more than 100 meters without have to stop for two to three minutes to get my breath back. How can I be contemplating walking just under 800 kms next spring (this is the only time of the year I can do)?

Am I mad (maybe St James will rescue me?) or should I be posting on the thread “Class of 2016”?!!

Anybody out there come back from zero-fitness to being up to the full SJPdP to SdC in 5 months?

Words of encouragement much appreciated!

Bystander

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sorry to hear your news Bystander. After all this time I feel like your are member of my family. I am currently having my Camino also threatened to be more painful than previous ones by a Heel Spur injury that has my quack saying it's unlikely that I will make my late May start. I however am sure I will make it, just how much I have recovered is the only issue. (After all I am an Optimist, aren't I) :) I hope you do too. One thing I have learnt from the Camino is to not despair and take it one day at a time. Let's hope that after some 150 or so of them your immune system recovers, you are able to train, and you make it. Maybe think of what exercise you can do without walking to build general strength. Remember that you can always transport your bag, bus parts, and think of starting after the Pyreenes. I will pray for your rehabilitation. Buen Camino from a young 65 year old. ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Bystander,

Rotten luck my friend.

I researched your condition and it seems you are already starting to recover if you have been let out of hospital. The information I read told me this thing is curable, or indeed will just go away on its own.

How about you simply do what you can do in terms of training between now and spring? With the following thoughts in mind.

You will already know there are a number of options of getting to the Camino from the UK. Some of those options sometimes present the possibility of "last minute booking". It's quite often the need for peace of mind that causes people to book travel arrangements multiple months ahead (me included:rolleyes:).

So, how does this sound? You do what you can to prepare yourself. Let your mind determine for yourself whether or not you feel ready or even confident enough in your body to go. I'm no expert but it does seem to me that if I was in your position, the time between now and Spring, if I needed to change my plan would help me to "accept" I need to delay until 2016.

I truly hope that's not the case for you;). To end on a positive note you are not so old that another year, despite its disappointment, will be a major problem. Besides, just think of the benefits of anther years' worth of training.

Speedy recovery.

Buen Camino

Bystander because of your determination to recover and walk your camino after your setback is encouraging. I am sure there are many of us that are returning from a life threatening blow. I am and I send my thoughts to you for a healthy body. Maybe we will meet next september on our journey if so a red wine sounds great. Take care of you diet, and slowly slowly gain strength. See you there. Sue

Hi, Bystander,
Let me add my encouragement and good wishes for a speedy recovery. I know nothing about your condition, but I do know how very important determination and commitment are to physical recovery. My aunt had a stroke about five years ago from which she never recovered. She got excellent physical therapy, but the therapists repeatedly told us that unless my aunt wanted to recover, the hours of therapy would never do anything for her. And it was true, she sort of slipped into an acceptance of her condition and was basically just going through the motions, and there was no improvement. That's not you at all, and though no one can say whether you will be ready to walk next spring, you have that determination and focus that are so necessary for a recovery from this level of disability. I can't imagine a better incentive than the desire to walk the Camino. Good luck with every step of the way, including the inevitable setbacks from time to time, and keep us posted. Know that there are a lot of good wishes and support flooding cyber space for you. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bystander, I am so sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope you can recover enough to do the camino in some fashion, whether it be a full blown, bag-toting, albergue-sleeping, trip to Santiago, or some other form of camino that allows you to at least have some type of pilgrimage. I just signed up with 5 other people to do a slack-packing camino. Most of them could not do a camino if they had to carry bags and sleep in albergues. They are all very excited about doing what they can.

Hang in there and recover your health as best you can; but try not to give up your dream.

I know it is of little conciliation but my mother would have said there was a reason why God didn't want you to walk. I am sorry that your wish to walk the Camino in the upcoming year isn't going to happen. My other half being a Marine would not let our very first Camino accident put her down, broken heel in Roncesvalles and 7 months later and another tax season and we were back to do it all over again. Be strong, take the winter to recoup and who knows 2015 still might be your year!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Glad to see that you are recovering now, but sorry that you might have to postpone your Camino. However you may yet feel fit enough to walk at least part as already suggested. If not then keeep the vision for 2016 and take time to recover fully. Best wishes and ultimately Buen Camino

What rotten luck, Bystander. One day at a time, continue to heal and to regain your strength. You have that basic good fitness level beneath this layer of physical upheaval. Don't lose track of it by becoming complacent as a "sick person". Concentrate on healing and general fitness, and the timing of your Camino will take care of itself, be it 2015 or 2016.

My heart aches every time I read about somebody's misfortunes impacting a Camino start date. My immediate next thought is hope because I have seen and heard of so many amazing stories of recovery and bouncing back from unfortunate situations.

This post also makes me reflect on the times where other pilgrims express(ed) disdain (one way or another) towards those having a bag transferred, or who stay at a quiet, single room, or walk a limited # of Kms/day. Unless advised of, NOBODY really knows the background situation and the desicions a person had to make on THEIR pilgrimage. At some point or another we all will need compassion, tolerance, and understanding. I happen to think that these will come back to you in the same measure as you dispense them.

Bystander-- set your mind in walking your Camino in 2015. Focus and do what is necessary to get your body and spirit to execute this goal. IF after having done what you could, you are still short of it, you will STILL be ahead for a later start. This a Win-Win situation. My prayers are with you, and Al, and others who are facing a tough challenge for a 2015 Camino.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry to read about this bystander. So may I wish you a fast recovery and hope your camino will be fulfilled when you have recovered the strength and the endurance. I recovered from another illness and walked so all the best.
John

I can feel your disappointment from here in Australia, and my thoughts will be with you as you get well and recover your fitness. Unfortunate as your ailment is, you shouldn't blame the camino for the randomness of the events that sometimes blight our lives, nor look for causes in otherwise unrelated aspects of our lives. Nor should we think that there is some pre-destiny operating - God not wanting you to go. That thinking denies a fundamental notion about our own free will. Get well, get fit and reset your camino plans. You have many forum friends who will be willing you on.

€46,-
Every time I start a Camino in the future, I'll say a little prayer of thanksgiving for having the measure of health to at least start.

Good luck with your heel spur, Al.

I am now home from hospital but weak as a kitten. I can barely walk more than 100 meters without have to stop for two to three minutes to get my breath back. How can I be contemplating walking just under 800 kms next spring (this is the only time of the year I can do)?

I am currently having my Camino also threatened to be more painful than previous ones by a Heel Spur injury that has my quack saying it's unlikely that I will make my late May start
Bystander and Al,

Sad news- I must quote:

My heart aches every time I read about somebody's misfortunes impacting a Camino start date. My immediate next thought is hope because I have seen and heard of so many amazing stories of recovery and bouncing back from unfortunate situations.
But spring 2015 is many moons away. Much water will run into the ocean first, and many good things can happen. You are both in a favorable position geographically (like me) because you do not live far away from the Camino: You can find cheap ways to get there just days before.

and Bystander, as others have mentioned, you can enjoy your planning all winter, with taking into account alternative transportation methods (pack transport, converting to a busegrino, etc.), and still get there. Bring with you a medical statement (translated to Spanish, and stamped by your doctor) and you will find a bed in the albergues. To comfort you, or rather, show what is possible (hopefully), I will tell you a story:

On my walk on the Via de la Plata, I met a farmer from Austria: He was like in his 70s, and deeply religious. He had wanted to walk to SdC all his life, for one purpose: Getting the Compostela. Only God knows why he needed it so badly.

His walking abilities were not good, and he developed really bad blisters. He was literally limping along, but amazingly, he kept our speed, more or less. It was cold in the spring that year (2012), and one evening in the albergue, I lit up the fireplace with dry wood and treated his feet by the side of it. I could barely look at his feet... They were really ugly. But he kept on, and after a while we lost him.

Now winding forward a couple of weeks, to Finisterre: In the afternoon, down the street, I heard someone screaming my name: "Alex, Alex!" Yep, it was him! With a Compostela!

60 kms. before SdC he had gotten strict orders from a hospital, that he was not allowed to walk 1 single m. more because he was at high risk of amputation. Not only toes, but foot! So, he had walked in pain 945 kms from Sevilla, but couldn't get his sellos of the last 60, which of course was essential in order to get what his walk was all about: The Compostela... He took the bus to SdC next morning, went to the Pilgrims Office, and told them his story (Luckily someone spoke German there, because that was all he could speak). He told them: "I can take off my boots and show you my feet as proof of my story". He didn't have to: They believed him and he got his Compostela-

So just hang in there, both of you: You still have time, good things can happen, think of alternatives, and:

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Bystander, I'm so sorry to hear about the awful time you have been having. I can only add my encouragement to the words of everyone here, and my hope that you will be able to walk the Camino as planned. I do know that your underlying fitness from your training before you became sick will help in your recovery - even though it feels like it now, you're not really at "zero fitness" at all. I recently had to postpone my Camino (at 10 days notice) due to a brush with the "big C" and need for urgent major surgery. I was pretty weak and feeble after that, but I could feel that somewhere under there the months of training were helping me get my strength back. I've rescheduled for April, just over 6 months after my surgery, and although after 2 months I'm still only managing walks of about 4km I can feel that will improve and am determined to make it in April. You will know as the weeks go by how your body is going to handle this, and I am sure you will find you can slowly build up from 100m to 200m and so on with determination and patience. I hope you can make it in April, whether to walk all the way or combine with buses as mentioned above - and maybe I'll see you there. Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello bystander.
I just saw this quote and thought of you..

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go,
Remember how far you have come.
Recall all the things you have faced,
All the battles you have fought and won.
Lift your eyes to heaven,
When you face life's troubles and strife
And don't forget to remember,
All the blessings you have in your life.

Anonymous.

Be strong fellow pilgrim. Praying for a speedy and full recovery and a beautiful camino walk as soon as you are able.
Karen

I had thought, originally, to post this in the Class of 2015 thread but that now looks rather over optimistic so I shall give it its own thread.

I am five months shy of my supposed start date and already a victim of the above.

Some of you may have noticed my occasional interventions on this forum with such things as packing lists, proposed staging points and lastly a start date in Spring of 2015.

It’s not as if the Camino is something new to me for I have known about the pilgrimage to Santiago for nearly 60 years and with it have had the desire, at sometime, to undertake the journey.

The Camino then stayed dormant nestling in some corner of my subconscious until about 12-15 years ago when for some unknown reason it bubbled to the surface. This was a nascent time in the internet world without the present day number of sites and contributors and there was little to be found about the various pilgrim routes.

However I then discovered the Confraternity of St James and later was soon an avid reader of the contributions of Grant Spangler and Annette Raunsbjerg both of whose words/journals/photos only served further to fan the flames of that desire.

However with a young family and the pressure of work it could not be seriously contemplated at that time.

Time passed and in 2013 I began to plan properly because I could see a window of opportunity in 2015. And the planning was made possible in detail because of all that you that have contributed to this, Ivar’s, website – an invaluable resource.

This website was scoured and plundered for information. Routes researched, accommodation ditto, books bought, clothing with weights, volumes and prices researched, listed and evaluated. Purchases were made from afar as New Zealand and California. My family were warned that next Spring I would going for a “walk” (ho-ho) to Santiago de Compostela. I then even went so far as to book a date at Corazon Puro. All was falling nicely and neatly into place.

Time again passed.

I am, or rather was, a not unfit, albeit with slight asthma and low hypertension, normal 68 year old.

However in September this year and out of the blue I was hit by an ailment called bullous pemphigoid – full-blown worst-case bullous pemphigoid – consequently and subsequently I spent nearly the whole of October in isolation in Intensive Care in hospital. Nasty disease bullous pemphigoid – Google it and in images. Not pretty!

Observation.

It has been said many times by many of you that the Camino throws up unanticipated quirks and problems but the Camino (or is it St James?) will provide.

I now feel that my “problem” – this ailment – was not “life” but the Camino chastising me for feeling complacent and smug in my organisational skills. Cheers Camino!

Am I mad (maybe St James will rescue me?) or should I be posting on the thread “Class of 2016”?!!

Anybody out there come back from zero-fitness to being up to the full SJPdP to SdC in 5 months?

Bystander
Hi - I read your post this morning and thought about you all day. After reading a bit about the disease tonight (very little), I would agree with the posters above. Day by day, just try to do a tiny bit to improve your overall health and consequently strength. Having been seriously sick a couple of times, what seems insurmountable at first can often, day by day and step by step, be improved upon, until suddenly you realize you have actually gotten somewhere. Don't give up on the idea of a 2015 camino. Try and walk 105 meters tomorrow, etc etc. And send your pack (I had to a few times due to injuries) or take a bus if needed (I had to to make up lost time). I think we all envision a "perfect" camino when we're planning, but after accomplishing it, I am still so thrilled at having actually achieved it despite set backs. And those bits of bus travel give me a reason to go back! So be as positive as you can, and my guess is that you will accomplish it in one way or another. But it's not going anywhere - it will still be there the following year if needs be. By the way I am 69. Keep us updated on your progress, please - take care - Cherry

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What an amazing bunch you all are.

So kind, so encouraging and so generous.

But then, having read this forum for many years, it comes as no surprise.

Everyone on this forum is so helpful and understanding to everyone.

Questions are answered, suggestions made and even the seemingly stupid, ignorant or simplistic questions answered with diplomacy and tact.

Considering that the members of this forum come from nearly every nation on earth and are communicating in only English, when for many it is not their native language, it is surprising that there is a so little misunderstanding of what we each are saying or trying to say!

However I thank you all for all your words of encouragement and I will plug on with exercises, walks and building up my strength and stamina with a view to getting to SJPdP next Spring.

I will update you as when progress has been made.

And - hey –, Al the Optimist, onwards and upwards, says I, and may your heel spur do the honourable thing and soon disappear!

Thank you.

[QUOTE="bystander, post: 256345, member: 2624"

However I thank you all for all your words of encouragement and I will plug on with exercises, walks and building up my strength and stamina with a view to getting to SJPdP next Spring.

I will update you as when progress has been made.

And - hey –, Al the Optimist, onwards and upwards, says I, and may your heel spur do the honourable thing and soon disappear!

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Way to go bystander!

I have another motivation factor for you and Al. Maybe the rest of us can start a "book" on who will get over their setback first, you or Al;).

Whatever the outcome, good luck to you both:D.

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi - I read your post this morning and thought about you all day.
For some reason, so have I. It's like I take it personal. The guys are not alone anymore! ;)

So to Bystander (and Al): Good to see that you obviously are in "attack mode" now: Good boys! And remember: In your planning mode, your Camino has already begun! So has mine: I go on April 6th, come what may. I have retired my Norw. army boots: They have served me well on 4 Caminos and 3.000 kms., but they can't take the next task. I'll let them bite the dust but I will not send them into the bin: Good memories.:)

So today I started my investigation for new boots/shoes by visiting a shoe shop: I shall take my time, test, and really enjoy my planning time! Then, walk them in step by step during this winter. So should you: Much better attitude!

My Lowe's also gave way after 3000k and left me without grip on the steep, rocky descend before Campones on the Salvador. I guess you just can't get quality these days. :( Actually that was when my heel problems started. Still I have to keep them as you can't throw babies away can you?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thinking of you Bystander and sending prayers and healing your way....may your health continue to improve now that you are home from Hospital.....What will be, will be.....My wish is that you regain sufficient health and strength and fitness to once again look forward to your planning for 2015....gentle healing hugs.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Bystander, I'm so sorry to hear about the awful time you have been having. I can only add my encouragement to the words of everyone here, and my hope that you will be able to walk the Camino as planned. I do know that your underlying fitness from your training before you became sick will help in your recovery - even though it feels like it now, you're not really at "zero fitness" at all. I recently had to postpone my Camino (at 10 days notice) due to a brush with the "big C" and need for urgent major surgery. I was pretty weak and feeble after that, but I could feel that somewhere under there the months of training were helping me get my strength back. I hope you can make it in April, whether to walk all the way or combine with buses as mentioned above - and maybe I'll see you there. Buen camino!
susanawee, thank you for your thoughts and prayers - much appreciated.
Thanks for the vibes, but definitely no need to apologise. :)

Hi bystander Al and Getting There, I've been out of contact for a few days on the forum and I am so so sad to hear all your sad news. Many have sought to give you encouragement and wonderful they were too! However as a late poster IMHO could I remind you to remember the camino modus operandum ,putting one foot in front of the other, one step at a time, thinking only of the present moment, not the past nor the future, but with gratitude for today and hope but not expectations for tomorrow slowly pacing your Way through this sickness or infirmity. Blessings, you do remember:
You have started your camino already, and all the pilgrims of every age are thinking of you on your journey. Buen camino peregrinos:):):)

Time again passed.

Observation.

Bystander
I feel for you bystander. Im about to cross that very same bridge. Only Friday I visited my GP to have a strange lump on my leg investigated. Had ultrasound and catscran. And I wont know today if is a benign fatty deposit. Which is simple to remove. Or a malignant tumor within a muscle. Which will require surgery and a lengthy period off my feet. I hopefully get the results today.
Im scheduled to fly into Paris in early May.
I too have planned this journey for some years.
I hope you recover your strength in time.
Craig

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Time again passed.

Observation.

Bystander

Sorry to hear of your setback. You have to take care of yourself first! You must regain your strength. The Camino isn't going anywhere. The Camino will always be there waiting and so will the Class of 2016. The Camino waits for people who hear it's calling and it will be there for you when the time comes. There are so many ways to do the Camino. There are also services on the Camino to make your journey easier. This journey that you are on, even with it's set backs is part of your journey.
Before I ventured on the Camino my walks were around the park. Something called me to complete this journey and I did in 2013. It was not easy, my feet were really tested, my indurence was really tested, but I still loved every minute of it. I too am hoping to be part of the class of 2016, God willing. Here's hoping that in the year 2015 you will build up your strength for the journey of a lifetime. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Im about to cross that very same bridge. Only Friday I visited my GP to have a strange lump on my leg investigated. Had ultrasound and catscran. And I wont know today if is a benign fatty deposit. Which is simple to remove. Or a malignant tumor within a muscle. Which will require surgery and a lengthy period off my feet. I hopefully get the results today.
I hope for a good result for you, Craig. Please inform us, if you feel like it.

Somehow, I have the feeling that joining in here may make a difference for unfortunate people like Bystander, Al and Craig. It may be only my opinion, but if I was in that situation, I would feel very good and strenghtened by sharing with likeminded people like us in here. Not least, getting some comforting feedback from people who know what it's all about. Can't help feeling emotionally inflicted and wanting good things to happen for people who are so wanting to do the Way.

Buen Camino! (and happy planning for it).

Last edited:
Best wishes for a good outcome, Craig.
Prayers and thoughts are with you.

Hope the results were good Craig. Either way I pray you recover.

I hope for a good result for you, Craig. Please inform us, if you feel like it.

Somehow, I have the feeling that joining in here may make a difference for unfortunate people like Bystander, Al and Craig. It may be only my opinion, but if I was in that situation, I would feel very good and strenghtened by sharing with likeminded people like us in here. Not least, getting some comforting feedback from people who know what it's all about. Can't help feeling emotionally inflicted and wanting good things to happen for people who are so wanting to do the Way.

Buen Camino! (and happy planning for it).
At the risk of hijacking Bystander's thread with my own drama, thank you for the kind thoughts and words. Seems I may have some luck on my side. I've been scheduled quickly for a surgery date next week to maximise recovery time. All going well I should be ok to walk.
Thanks once again this for the good wishes and I hope you recover your strength in time bystander.
Craig

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Best wishes winging their way to you from New Brunswick, Canada. I hope they will help you along with your recovery and determination to walk the Camino.

Once again, not to hijack Bystanders thread, but surgery complete. Offending lump the size of a small egg removed. Doc says didnt look fibrous and all came out. But he had to do some major digging for it. Will know Tuesday when I get half the stitches out, what it actually is. Although he says its 99% a Lipoma. A harmless fat deposit. However its not common to be under the muscle layer. Leg is a little swollen, but all in all should be good to go. Apologize if anyone's squeamish.
DSCF2194.JPG

UPDATE

Well, that's a bu**er ;-(

I have just had my fortnightly meeting with my consultant and had the rug very firmly jerked from under my feet.

"The best laid schemes o' Mice and Men,
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e nought but grief an' pain,
For promised Joy!"

And it is no Camino for me in 2015.

My immune system is still too weak and I will need fortnightly (at the least frequent) visits to my personal consultant for most of the remainder of this year.

Oh well, take it on the chin and roll on 2016 (talking about wishing for Christmas when still in January!).

I am so sorry to hear that bad news and I really wish I could do something for you to ease your pain! Buen Camino in whatever year St. James lets you do it! SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So sorry to read this Bystander. Our best wishes for a full recovery and a Camino in 2016.

Really sorry to hear this news, Bystander. Bu**er indeed! Roll on 2016, and keep on getting better and better.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Bystander... there's not a lot that I can add to the growing list of good wishes... except my good wishes!

Get well and get strong... 2016 is not so far away :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thats a tough break bystander. Chin up your Camino will happen eventually.
Craig

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for all your thoughts and generosity of spirit.
You're an incredibly kind and considerate bunch.
I couldn't hope for a better set of forum friends.

Now for the future and 2016

Well, I no longer have any excuse for not getting fit enough for the Camino!

And more importantly no reason not to improve my Spanish from just about being able to order a drink, a meal and a bed into something more conversational.

Who know's by Spring 2016 I might even be able to discuss, in the local bar, the finer points of a goal scored in soccer?
...on second thoughts, NO...
...however, if they showed rugger.........!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
"Well, I no longer have any excuse for not getting fit enough for the Camino! And more importantly no reason not to improve my Spanish"

That's the spirit! Buen Camino!

I am sorry you are having such a struggle. Waiting is so hard! (Come to think of it, you ARE a Bystander, after all!)
If you really really wanna do it, and there's no other way... I will help push your chair down the Camino Ingles!

...however, if they showed rugger.........!
You have 16 days to get the expressions before the 6 Nations mate. Which reminds me of when I worked in Segovia I would visit Madrid each weekend. At one point two friends persuaded me to help them teach rugby to some of their staff and friends who were forming a team for a female rugby competition. I might add that at the time I only new a handful of words like cerveca, por favor, grazias. which made communication interesting to say the least. Unfortunately as I worked on Sunday afternoons I was unable to watch them get knocked out in the first match! (Probably my fault?)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bystander,
I'm sure that, despite all my empathy, I can't even begin to grasp how hard this is for you. But as we all know, life is much more than the Camino, so my hope for you is that the rest of your life can fill in this big hole for now, and that your passion for the Camino will fuel your physical recovery. Wishing you all the best. Buen camino, Laurie

Bystander, I can so sympathize with your situation, I know how it feels to postpone. I had to do this for 2014, initially for family reasons and as it turned out, later on even for my own. Much like yourself, I took the time to fix, organize and plan for my family to be ok when I am gone for 3 months, I also learned a few skills that might come in handy on the Camino. So, in hindsight, the year was a Camino all on its own, right here in my home.

Now I am and my family is ready for me to walk again. There is always a reason why things happen the way they happen. Each day, another step to your recovery, each step getting you healthy and fit, and pretty soon it will be the end of 2015 and your Camino 2016 is just around the corner.

Wishing you Best of Health and keep holding on to your Camino dreams.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back