• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ávila to SdC starting today

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buen camino, speggo,
I won't be able to follow you from my armchair because I will soon be walking myself, but I hope you have a wonderful walk. If you like "big skies" and wide open landscapes you are in for a treat -- great sunsets, lots of quiet, enjoy!

But be careful leaving Avila! Unless they have resolved their dispute with the private property owner who has closed off access to pilgrims, you will have to walk across the entryway to the superhighway. We did it early on a Sunday morning, so there was no traffic, but it is lunacy to tell pilgrims to do this when there will normally be many cars going at high speeds. Be careful and safe, buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well I made it to Ávila and am in the very impressive albergue ready to start tomorrow. The weather looks good with 26c and a cooling northery breeze forecast. Can't wait to get started!
What is the name of the albergue? I will have a couple of extra days in Madrid the first of September and one of them will be spent in Avila. would love some first-hand information about Avila if you have time!
Buen Camino!!
Terry

The Albergue is unmissable as it is on the way out of town! Just to the right of the bridge. You HAVE to call the number to get the Hospitaliero to open up and give you a key. I stayed at the youth hostel as you come in to Avila. Own bathroom and they gave me a bunk room for two for me alone. Quiet. Stayed two nights. Central Avila a bit depressed... empty shops etc and tourist restaurants. Eat at SOUL KITCHEN for a good and good value lunch. Go to Saint Vincent's church at least! Maria the young wife and co-owner is a treasure of helpfulness and a veggie. At last I got some decent vegetables and excellent from Danny's butcher in Central Avila. Very good wine too! The Parador is rather dead but a great place for an outside drink and only about 30 cents more!

Steve Pegler was a few days ahead and I wish I could have caught up as I met NO Brits.

Stop Press - do NOT stay in Siete Iglesias but walk on 7 or so kms. New Albergue opened on outgoing side of village and has 2 big showers and good accom. Siete Iglesias was also depressing....

Filly (just back in spite of French air traffic strike)

Also.... forgot to say that I stayed at Spiriti Sanctus Convent (but was originally a monastery in lovely Toro). The tourist office lady tried to put me off but I persevered. Laundered sheets, two towels, bedrooms for two and good bathrooms. Peaceful ie ideal! Also ate diagonally opposite Pension Zamora. Be warned evening on Tuesdays there is no cooking so had great bottle of wine and tapas selection for 15 euros for two.

Lunch is always a better bet and is served till about 4pm.

Only 10 pilgrims in Zamora Albergue so much quieter than last year. Zamora gears up to a San Pedro festival this weekend so get your ear plugs ready.

Filly

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Quite agree with your comments Filly. I stayed in Siete Iglesias but had the place to myself. Ate at the Hostel in the carretera which was dire. Had I known I would have carried on to Castro nuño which has a new albergue.
Currently in Lubián after a long wet day with many seemingly pointless diversions due to the Ave works. At least 7 extra km and nearly the whole day on tarmac.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back