• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Østerdalen trail to Trondheim, Norway?

Agrizzlybear

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014
Camino Portugues 2017
Hey all, new user here looking to ask a question on the St Olav's trail. The official Norwegian site Pilgrimsleden.no mentions several paths to take. Gudbrandsdalen being by far the most popular. But it also mentions one called Østerdalen, which it describes as "pristine wilderness". That immediately caught the attention of my friend who is hiking with me. We realize it might be about 20 days of tent camping, but we're wondering if anyone's actually done this trail before. I can't find a single resource online besides that site. I speak some Norwegian, but I still couldn't find anything. Has anyone here ever tried it?

I'd really like to give it a try, but I want to make sure there's places to stock up on food and water. Of course I'd also like to know if pristine wilderness just means grey tundra the whole way. Should I just stick with Gudbrandsdal?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Takk for hjelpen. Any reasons in particular you would recommend Gudbrandsdalen over Østerdalen?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Alright, I'm sold. I've been trying to learn Norwegian, and I realize that'll be pretty useless if I never see anybody to talk to.

Hey all, new user here looking to ask a question on the St Olav's trail. The official Norwegian site Pilgrimsleden.no mentions several paths to take. Gudbrandsdalen being by far the most popular. But it also mentions one called Østerdalen, which it describes as "pristine wilderness". That immediately caught the attention of my friend who is hiking with me. We realize it might be about 20 days of tent camping, but we're wondering if anyone's actually done this trail before. I can't find a single resource online besides that site. I speak some Norwegian, but I still couldn't find anything. Has anyone here ever tried it?

I'd really like to give it a try, but I want to make sure there's places to stock up on food and water. Of course I'd also like to know if pristine wilderness just means grey tundra the whole way. Should I just stick with Gudbrandsdal?
Hi there @Agrizzlybear

I have just finished hiking the Østerdalen trail and also the Valldalsleden to Dovre. I will get back to you in a few weeks time with details. Just to say...

The Østerdalen trail is a splendid nature trail. The first 8 days from Rena to Øvre Rendal are a well marked leisurely stroll. After this the trail demands stamina, it becomes quite a challenge. In the fjells, from Fonnas fjellet onwards (days 9 - 23), one is up against the elements. It is easy to lose the way in mist, the rain or poor light.

The trail does not involve climbing or scrambling over rocks, it is mostly on springy turf, through mires, along forest trails, long grassy seters and dirt roads. There are many streams to cross - some every day. (I wore Brookes Cascadia 13 trail runners. These were excellent as water waders.)

The signing after Tynset to Trondheim is sparse, somewhat neglected and often obscured by mist, low sunlight and shade. I found many St Olaf tags in the undergrowth the wire connectors rusted through. One needs good long distance eyesight to spot cairns, odd shaped rocks, red markers on stones and old wooden batons. ( i walked without GPS, mobile or camera relying on observation skills and pdf maps printed from the pilegrim website. I don,t recommend this. Some might find this alarming...The maps lacked detail.)

One can sleep most nights in a mountain cabin with wood burning stove, candle light and water collected from nearby streams or lakes. In August blue berries and cloud berries were thick on the ground....

I was alone for the entire hike from Rena to Trondheim. I met no other pilegrims or hikers just the occassional shop keeper and host/hostess. Stages between cabins became long. The experience was awesome, sweet....

Food supplies must be carried 3 to 5 days at a time.

ps Lia Gard organised for a pilegrim helper to meet me at the railway station in Rena...more details later. There is an up to date pdf for accommodation, shops etc. I,ll post a link later.

pps I am still out there hiking pilgrim trails. I,ll get back to you in a few weeks time.

Cheers
Lovingkindness
I

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi there @Agrizzlybear

I have just finished hiking the Østerdalen trail and also the Valldalsleden to Dovre. I will get back to you in a few weeks time with details. Just to say...

The Østerdalen trail is a splendid nature trail. The first 8 days from Rena to Øvre Rendal are a well marked leisurely stroll. After this the trail demands stamina, it becomes quite a challenge. In the fjells one is up against the elements. It is easy to lose the way in mist, the rain or poor light.

The trail does not involve climbing or scrambling over rocks, it is mostly on springy tundra, through mires, along forest trails and occasionally on dirt roads. There are many streams to cross - some every day. (I wore Brookes Cascadia 13 trail runners. These were excellent as water waders.)

The signing after Tynset to Trondheim is sparse, somewhat neglected and often obscured by mist, low sunlight and shade. I found many St Olaf tags in the undergrowth the wire connectors rusted through. One needs good long distance eyesight to spot cairns, odd shaped rocks, red markers on stones and old wooden batons. ( i walked without GPS, mobile or camera relying on observation skills and pdf maps printed from the pilegrim website. I don,t recommend this. Some might find this alarming...The maps lacked detail.)

One can sleep most nights in a mountain cabin with wood burning stove, candle light and water collected from nearby streams or lakes. In August blue berries and cloud berries were thick on the ground....

I was alone for the entire hike from Rena to Trondheim. I met no other pilegrims or hikers just the occassional shop keeper and host/hostess. Stages between cabins became long. The experience was awesome, sweet....

ps Lia Gard organised for a pilegrim helper to meet me at the railway station in Rena...more details later. There is an up to date pdf for accommodation, shops etc. I,ll post a link later.

pps I am still out there hiking pilgrim trails. I,ll get back to you in a few weeks time.

Cheers
Lovingkindness
I

I just love you and your spirit so much!
You give me hope!

Hi there @Agrizzlybear

The Østerdalen trail is a splendid nature trail. The first 8 days from Rena to Øvre Rendal are a well marked leisurely stroll. After this the trail demands stamina, it becomes quite a challenge. In the fjells one is up against the elements. It is easy to lose the way in mist, the rain or poor light.

The trail does not involve climbing or scrambling over rocks, it is mostly on springy tundra, through mires, along forest trails and occasionally on dirt roads. There are many streams to cross - some every day. (I wore Brookes Cascadia 13 trail runners. These were excellent as water waders.)

Cheers
Lovingkindness
I

Okay you've just made this sound like the most epic journey. Now I'm torn. I might stick with Gudbrandsdalen this time, but I really really want to hear more about this.

Hi there,

Here is the link to the Østerdalen PDF (2019): Stages, accommodation, grocery, catering, cultural heritage and church...

...and other pfd's published on www.pilegrimsleden.no

* Other info : Rena to Tynset

* Maps : Rena to Tynset

(Åmot kommune has more detailed maps of the stretch from Rena. I was given a copy by the pilegrim helpers, Finn + Liv who met me at the Rena railway station. Later they made a surprise visit bearing gifts! Finn checked all the trail signs and streams in Åmot kommune a day or so ahead just to be sure that I got through. Tusen Takk! )

* Maps : Tynset to Trondheim

* Other info : Tynset to Trondheim

cheers
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi there,

Here is the link to the Østerdalen PDF (2019): Stages, accommodation, grocery, catering, cultural heritage and church...

(Åmot kommune has more detailed maps of the stretch from Rena. I was given a copy by the pilegrim helpers, Finn + Liv who met me at the Rena railway station. Later they made a surprise visit bearing gifts! Finn checked all the trail signs and streams in Åmot kommune a day or so ahead just to be sure that I got through. Tusen Takk! )

cheers
Lovingkindness

Thanks a ton. Those are super helpful. I've decided on Gudbrandsdalen, at least for my first try. But I definitely want to come back and do this one. I especially liked the Åmot kommune with its detailed history.

Are there any more places/books people have found for St Olavsleden/specific areas?

Thanks a ton….Are there any more places/books people have found for St Olavsleden/specific areas?

You're welcome!
You might consider contacting Aslaug Haugen, ( Smedberget Pilegrimstun, Øvre Rendal). She researches local pilegrim history and is responsible for updating the Østerdalen PDF mentioned above (contact details on PDF).

Aslaug told me that in mediaval times when pilegrims arrived in the Rendalen Valley they stayed for many days with local folk. The farmers forgot their work and threw away their equipment preferring to spend all day with the pilegrims and dance away the nights! The pilegrims came in large groups , hundreds and hundreds of people… Today in Tyldalen local pilegrim lore is re-enacted in an outdoor theatre. I think it occurs every three years...

More information about the Østerdalen trail and pilegrim events in Rendalen can be found here. I'll see what I can find for places further along the trail.

Cheers
LK

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there,

* Other info : Tynset to Trondheim

cheers
Lovingkindness
The links which I posted ubove in 2019 have disappeared or have been redirected elsewhere.

Here is a link to Østerdalsledene PDFs (2020) put together by Aslaug Haugen. http://www.ashaugenas.com/29738176. Overnighting, services and other essential information can been found here. (scroll down to 'Dagsetapper, overnattingssteder, kirker og butikker langs Østerdalsledene')

Other information can be found on the Pilegrimsleden.no site

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back