• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

​In the Moments of God - My Journey of Faith and Transplanta

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Sometimes you read something that gives you a BIG wake-up call.

We should never bitch and moan about walking the Camino.
Whether it lives up to our expectations or not - thats not what it is about.
That's never what its been about.

Its about us living up to the Camino.
Like this young man, born with Cystic Fibrosis, he walked 450km of the Camino after having had a double lung transpalnt.

I haven't read his book yet - but I'm going to.

http://kenparkes113.wix.com/moments-of- ... -book/c18z

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow.
Makes my complaints and pains seem silly.

I saw a young man with cerebral palsy struggling over the mountains on my Camino. For every step he took, others took about 3 or 4. It must have taken him a long time to walk each stage, but he did it.

The human spirit is incredible!

I saw a guy with both legs in braces.
A lovely elderly overweight Basque guy and his very round sister we bumped into on and off for a few days ended up not finishing as he had blood in his urine one morning and made a hasty retreat home, where the doc told him he had pushed himself too hard. Hope that's all.

Any of us who have the chance to walk are definitely numbered among the privileged in this life.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes - the Camino is a test for us.
Some people feel let down by the Camino, but I think many let the Camino down!

Hi,

I'm moved to reply.

I agree so much with this philosophy even though I haven't been yet. I try to apply it to everything in my life. There always seems to be two journeys going on in one's life, the inner and the outer. There are some truly remarkable people in the world and they do have the habit of coming to one's attention in the middle of a gripe!

Poppy

sillydoll said:
Yes - the Camino is a test for us.
Some people feel let down by the Camino, but I think many let the Camino down!

Yes a journey like this is a test, physically and in other ways. And some do feel let down because of expectations unrealised.

But I'm curious about the idea (which I don't understand) on 'let[ting] the Camino down'. ???
Could you say more?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Re: ​In the Moments of God - My Journey of Faith and Transplant

I don't know how to review this book.

I understood that it was a book about a young man with Cystic Fibrosis who walks the Camino after having a double lung transplant. It is actually a personal story about his illness, his return to the Catholic faith and his frequent visits to Mejugorje in Bosnia.

The book is about 187 pages long and the first 175 pages don't mention the Camino. The last 11 pages are a synopsis of his walk on the Camino, starting from St Jean (he walked to Roncesvalles in one day) skipping a few sections then walking from Leon to Santiago.

An amazing feat for someone with his disorder but not a Camino book as such.

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back