• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

‘AlertCops’ US based users

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Could a US based user of AlertCops confirm that it was straightforward to load? A forum member on another thread is having issues. Does it need (for example) a European SIM?
I installed it on my phone a while ago. It seems to be working normally with my US sim and phone number.
Of course there's no way for me to be sure since I'm not in Spain.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just downloaded (iphone running iOS 14.8.1). It downloaded fine for me, but the set up was an issue. When I got to the screen to validate my (US) phone number, it says it's sent me the validation code by SMS/text... but I haven't gotten the text. That's using +1 as a country code. I would use 001, but I couldn't find it in the pulldown menu (which is not in numeric order).

This could certainly be user error.

I hope that you can figure out your technical issues with entering a US phone number into AlertCops and receiving the required confirmation sms in order to finish initialisation and to be able to use the app.

Since this is about using AlertCops’ Guardian function and assuming that you manage to finish the initial setup: Inform your potential guardian(s) before you enter their mobile phone numbers into AlertCops. The system will immediately send an sms to their mobile phones. If my experience is anything to go by, the text of this sms may be next to incomprehensible for the recipient(s).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have had the same experience as alexwalker trying to enter my US number. Not sure what to do...
Most country codes are two digits. Have you tried entering +01 rather than +1? And, of course, if your normal number starts with a zero then drop the zero.

E.g. If my ANZ number was 021 776 8542 then my International equivalent would be +64 21 776 8542.

I am in the U.S., and I too am unable to get the SMS verification code to activate Alert Cops. The app only gives you a drop down menu to select a country code, and the only option I can see that would apply to the U.S. is +1 and too then tab over to enter my area code and phone number. There is no option for +01.

If anyone knows how we can activate Alert Cops from the U.S. I would be grateful to know.

Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am in the U.S., and I too am unable to get the SMS verification code to activate Alert Cops. The app only gives you a drop down menu to select a country code, and the only option I can see that would apply to the U.S. is +1 and too then tab over to enter my area code and phone number. There is no option for +01.

If anyone knows how we can activate Alert Cops from the U.S. I would be grateful to know.

Thanks.
The other thing to check is that you are providing a mobile phone number rather than a landline number.

Has nobody ever activated AlertCops while in the USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand and never received the initialisation sms after correctly entering their mobile phone number into the app?

@Doughnut NZ has rightly pointed out that you must drop the leading 0 if your mobile phone number starts with a zero. You choose the country code from a drop down menu so picking +1 for the USA is the correct and only way.

Their FAQ is not very helpful. All it says is this:

I do not receive the SMS​
If you do not receive the SMS with the validation code, check that you do not have more than one SIM card associated with the same phone number. In this case, only the card that is identified as the main card in the service contract with your operator will receive the code.​

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@trecile has it working with her mobile phone but we don't know if she initialised it in Spain or the USA.

@trecile has it working with her mobile phone but we don't know if she initialised it in Spain or the USA.
And I don't know either! I don't remember when or where I installed it. All I know is that all my information is on it, including my phone number, with the country code of +1 (no zeroes)

And I don't know either! I don't remember when or where I installed it. All I know is that all my information is on it, including my phone number, with the country code of +1 (no zeroes)

You probably installed it whilst in Spain.......

I’d also verify that I can receive international sms from Europe, ideally from someone in Spain.
Yes, this is important. In most of the world SMS messages are either not charged for separately or are paid for by the sender.

According to my brother who lives in the USA some of the contracts there require the receiver of SMS messages to pay and there are issues with spam messages and so as a result some people have turned off the ability to receive SMS messages. This is especially so on modern smart phones, particularly Apple phones because they can exchange messages using non SMS protocols.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
According to my brother who lives in the USA some of the contracts there require the receiver of SMS messages to pay
Years ago that was more of an issue than it is now. I remember having to pay 10¢ to send or receive a text.
I think that most people in the US now have plans with unlimited texting.

Years ago that was more of an issue than it is now. I remember having to pay 10¢ to send or receive a text. I think that most people in the US now have plans with unlimited texting.
Your are making a good point. Perhaps, in order to receive an sms with the verification code from the Guarda Civil, your phone first has to send them an sms with your request. So, when you don't get a verification code, make sure first that your plan and/or the setup of your mobile phone allows you to send international sms as well as receive international sms.

BTW, I did a little test. I am in the EU. I receive the sms with the verification code not from a standard Spanish mobile phone number but from a shared short code number. I have no idea of the cost structure when text messages are sent this way.

Last edited:
BTW, I did a little test. I am in the EU. I receive the sms with the verification code not from a standard Spanish mobile phone number but from a shared short code number. I have no idea of the cost structure when text messages are sent this way.
Short codes are used when SMS messages are sent programmatically. At the sending end they normally have a bulk rate associated. But they are still subject to what ever terms apply at the receiving end.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think this is all very interesting, but if you don’t have the patience to figure it out, or if your phone won’t cooperate, I think the hands down easiest way to make contact with Spanish emergency personnel is to dial 112.

I have seen nothing that suggests that AlertCops is superior in case of a real emergency. There may be a reason why it is, but I have been following these threads closely and haven’t seen one.

Going back to one of the earlier discussions that raised this issue, it does seem that AlertCops is the best way to report a non-emergency like a broken water pipe so as not to occupy the first reponders, but that is not likely to be a frequent occurrence for peregrinos.

I think this is all very interesting, but if you don’t have the patience to figure it out, or if your phone won’t cooperate, I think the hands down easiest way to make contact with Spanish emergency personnel is to dial 112.
I fully agree. However, the reason why @henrythedog volunteered to ask this question is not the ability to contact the Spanish emergency services. The reason is the Guardian function in AlertCops that allows you to enter the mobile phone number of one or more persons in the USA and who can then monitor where you are and who will be contacted by the app in case of need - this function can be switched off or set to high, medium and low level by the user of AlertCops, according to the user's wishes and preferences.

If I were to use this function I would want to set it up before I travel to Spain and I would also want to test it to make sure that it works (there is a test option in AlertCops).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I downloaded AlertCops, installed it and tried to set it up. I was unable to finish setting it up because I never received the code via SMS ☹️. I tried various alternatives and none worked.

I suspect that my telecommunications provider is blocking international short codes.

If someone from Oz could try and do the same thing then we may conclude that it often can not be set up outside of Europe.

I downloaded AlertCops, installed it and tried to set it up. I was unable to finish setting it up because I never received the code via SMS ☹️. I tried various alternatives and none worked.

I suspect that my telecommunications provider is blocking international short codes.
I just checked my carrier's info (I use a budget US carrier, Mint) and yes, I'd need to chip in some $$ to activate my international roaming. So, that's what is making me unable to receive the SMS, assuming that I set it up correctly (+1 555 5555).

No success receiving the code in the US or Spain. Other international texts are working fine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I installed it on my phone a while ago. It seems to be working normally with my US sim and phone number.
Of course there's no way for me to be sure since I'm not in Spain.

I thought that I should return to this thread to report that I have a new phone now, and I'm experiencing the same problems setting up Alert Cops as others are - I haven't been able to receive the validation code over SMS here in the US.

I thought that I should return to this thread to report that I have a new phone now, and I'm experiencing the same problems setting up Alert Cops as others are - I haven't been able to receive the validation code over SMS here in the US.
Hi Trecile:

Check the way you enter your phone number. I had that problem, but don’t recall the way I entered; I think the format for US numbers is: 1(xxx)-xxx-xxxx. When I registered I did the trial and error.🤪

Hope it helps.

The format to show the country code is normally 0033 or +33 for France, say, or 001 or +1 for north America, then the number, including the area code.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The format to show the country code is normally 0033 or +33 for France, say, or 001 or +1 for north America, then the number, including the area code.
There's a drop down menu to choose your country code, so that formatting is down for you.

Screenshot_20230414_081526_AlertCops.jpg

Hmm, strange that you're not receiving the validation code in that case. It worked for me a few days ago,
and even sent one to my daughter when I added her as a contact - though both numbers are French not US.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The fact that the numbers are French probably makes a difference.
Clearly - but the point that I was making is that, whether French or US, the numbers are international to a Spanish-based service so there is no reason why both shouldn't work if the phone numbers are valid.

The fact that the numbers are French probably makes a difference.
I, too, think it has to do with the fact that the sms is sent from Spain to a US number and that it is received in the USA. It may have to do with roaming and costs but I do not know more.

FWIW: I initialised AlertCops just now. I am not in Spain but in the EU. The validation code arrived immediately by sms, the sender’s number was a 4-digit SMS Short Code. These are generic numbers, that is all I know about this.

Last year or so, I had added my brother as a contact/guardian who lives in yet another EU country. He received the confirmation sms from a normal Spanish mobile phone number, starting with +34 followed by numerous digits. I can’t remember whether I googled it and it was a regular Madrid police corps number or not.

Edited to add: See earlier post #25 where the poster who is in Australia also suspects that his telecommunications provider is blocking international short codes.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.