• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

‘Senda da Orla Litoral’ or ‘Caminho da Costa’ along the Portuguese coast

KasiaEf

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances and Camino Portugues
Hi,

I'm planning my second Camino this summer; this time from Porto. I very much would like to walk along the coast- hoping for some less human and car traffic as well as beautiful scenery.

But I'm struggling to find information, ideally a guide I could use. Can anyone recommend sites or guides with (a) map(s) and simple but useful descriptions of the route for either the very coastal route of Senda da Orla Litoral or the slightly further away route of Caminho da Costa.

If you have walked this Camino, please share with me what you think deserves or need to be shared.

Thank you,

Kasia

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You have asked the very question I have been researching! Thank you. My wife and I are planning this for next summer and I will look forward to watching the responses here on this thread.

I have managed to find some bits of information on various sites/ blogs but it seems like there is not one guide book put together. It looks like I will need to spend more time putting some form of a guide for myslef.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi KasiaEf! Welcome to the forum!

Can anyone recommend sites or guides with (a) map(s) and simple but useful descriptions of the route for either the very coastal route of Senda da Orla Litoral or the slightly further away route of Caminho da Costa.

You won't find better maps than those offered by Luis do Freixo on his web: www.caminador.es He offers info about several Portuguese caminos so take your time and look for his info about the one(s) that are of your interest. Don't overlook neither the Area de links nor the Guías detalladas on his web. In both cases you are looking for option B. As you'll see, tracks are available on his web too. No idea is the info about albergues and other accommodations on his web is updated so make some research to know if the accommodations that he quotes are still on business, if there are new ones, look for current prices...

We are leaving on the same journey from Porto starting Sept 17 and like you intend walking the Senda Litoral. I bought the Brierley guide that was published in January of this year as it includes a section in the back specifically covering the Litoral route and the coastal route which is a little further inland. Of course it also covers the traditional interior route should the weather kick up on the coast and require a change of plans. We live on the west coast of Canada so we know things can change fast in a coastal climate. I also downloaded the maps referred to below by Luis do Freixo. I picked out the ones I might need for the litora and printed them off and placed a folded copy into my Brierley guide. I later copied them to my smart phone which works better as I can then zoom. I think the maps will come in most handy getting through the cities. Also, don't miss checking out the info posted in the forum about the Variante Espiritual option.
Bom Camino!
Hi, I will most likely have some form of a blog for this journey so will try to share with you to give you an idea, if you want.

Can you please let me know if the info in Brierley guide is good. I'm particularly interested in maps and diacriptions of the route for Litoral and costal routs. If it has fairly good description I might buy it.

Thank you for your tips,

Kasia

Hi KasiaEf! Welcome to the forum!

You won't find better maps than those offered by Luis do Freixo on his web: www.caminador.es He offers info about several Portuguese caminos so take your time and look for his info about the one(s) that are of your interest. Don't overlook neither the Area de links nor the Guías detalladas on his web. In both cases you are looking for option B. As you'll see, tracks are available on his web too. No idea is the info about albergues and other accommodations on his web is updated so make some research to know if the accommodations that he quotes are still on business, if there are new ones, look for current prices...

Yes Luis updates his information regularly...It's not a static website or a Guide !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes Luis updates his information regularly...It's not a static website or a Guide !
Oh yeah, I can see that. It's probably the most detailed information on any Camino I found. And that's the problem. There is too much for me. I am pretty relaxed pilgrim and I only need a general map with a description of what to expect and what are the options. I guess I can extract that from www.caminador.es but it's a lot of work and I don't have much time. Also, his maps and tools are fantastic! It's incredible that a single person has put so much effort to collect all this information. It should come out as a book! In English, too :)

Oh yeah, I can see that. It's probably the most detailed information on any Camino I found. And that's the problem. There is too much for me. I am pretty relaxed pilgrim and I only need a general map with a description of what to expect and what are the options. I guess I can extract that from www.caminador.es but it's a lot of work and I don't have much time. Also, his maps and tools are fantastic! It's incredible that a single person has put so much effort to collect all this information. It should come out as a book! In English, too :)
Hi Kasia,

When are you leaving on your camino? I agree with you, I am usually relaxed and "go with the flow", but looking over the info, it's making me more nervous doing this camino with just me and my 20 yo son! I did the interior route last year with my husband, with was fantiastic, especially since he is very outgoing and is Portuguese and can also speak 4 other languages. I do speak Portuguese but this route seems more difficult to find info on albergues/pensions. I guess it's all gonna be ok, since I am leaving tomorrow night, "ready or not" here I come!

Bom Caminho to you Kasia, safe travels and maybe we will meet along the way!

Hi Kasia,

When are you leaving on your camino? I agree with you, I am usually relaxed and "go with the flow", but looking over the info, it's making me more nervous doing this camino with just me and my 20 yo son! I did the interior route last year with my husband, with was fantiastic, especially since he is very outgoing and is Portuguese and can also speak 4 other languages. I do speak Portuguese but this route seems more difficult to find info on albergues/pensions. I guess it's all gonna be ok, since I am leaving tomorrow night, "ready or not" here I come!

Hi Liana,

I hope all well on your Camino. I'm busy at school just before we break for summer holiday and I will be starting from Porto at early August. I plan to walk Caminho da Casto on and off and Senda Litoral weather and accomdation permitting. But to be honest, I'm open to any variations.

If you have any tips or information you think I might find useful please share it here.

Buen Camino

Looking forward to your blog. As to your question, yes I believe the Brierly guide is worth the investment. I too like to go with the flow and regularly depart from the intended plan of the day. The guide book gives you a lot of information to maximize options and perhaps discover things you may otherwise have walked right past.
Hi!
So I have purchased the Brierly guide and have started studying it this morning. It looks like it might be just fine for me. I might get some more detailed maps for some parts from http://www.caminador.es/ but otherwise it looks good :)

Once I decide on a form of a blog I will let you know.

Hi Liana,

I hope all well on your Camino. I'm busy at school just before we break for summer holiday and I will be starting from Porto at early August. I plan to walk Caminho da Casto on and off and Senda Litoral weather and accomdation permitting. But to be honest, I'm open to any variations.

If you have any tips or information you think I might find useful please share it here.

Buen Camino

I am leaving on the 3rd or 4th, so might see you on the Senda Litoral. Buen Camino!

Look at
Hi Kasia,

look at the subforum coastal and central route (not the interior that is a completely different caminho at the east side of Portugal from Coimbra via Viseu and Chaves to Ourense and the Via de La Plata.)
Lots of forummembers posted so much info here about the coastal, the central, the variante espiritual and the interior caminhos.

Albergues are not everywhere at the coastal
The first except for Porto now you will find in Vairão (Mosteiro de Vairão)on the original caminho through the suburbs of Porto And then Vilarinho to Rates where some cross to the coast instead of continueing on the central route. We even did it further on after Barcelos and switched from Casa da Fernanda to Viana do Castelo to walk the coastal from there,
Directly at the coastal you'll find the first albergue in Vila do Conde then one in Póvoa de Varzim,Esposende, not in Viana do Castelo but one in Caminha and at the Spanish side of the Minho river one in A Guarda.
Than one in Mougas , Nigrán not in Vigo and than you will be in Redondela but I advise to avoid this smelly busy municipal albergue there and walk 3 kms further to Cessantes where is the refúxio de la Jérezana. Far better !
The others you know from before unless you really walked the caminho Português Interior from Farminhão via Viseu , Chaves and Verin to Ourense and then to Santiago. The only one who can answer this question is you !

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Look at

look at the subforum coastal and central route (not the interior that is a completely different caminho at the east side of Portugal from Coimbra via Viseu and Chaves to Ourense and the Via de La Plata.)
Lots of forummembers posted so much info here about the coastal, the central, the variante espiritual and the interior caminhos.

The first except for Porto now you will find in Vairão (Mosteiro de Vairão)on the original caminho through the suburbs of Porto And then Vilarinho to Rates where some cross to the coast instead of continueing on the central route. We even did it further on after Barcelos and switched from Casa da Fernanda to Viana do Castelo to walk the coastal from there,
Directly at the coastal you'll find the first albergue in Vila do Conde then one in Póvoa de Varzim,Esposende, not in Viana do Castelo but one in Caminha and at the Spanish side of the Minho river one in A Guarda.
Than one in Mougas , Nigrán not in Vigo and than you will be in Redondela but I advise to avoid this smelly busy municipal albergue there and walk 3 kms further to Cessantes where is the refúxio de la Jérezana. Far better !
The others you know from before unless you really walked the caminho Português Interior from Farminhão via Viseu , Chaves and Verin to Ourense and then to Santiago. The only one who can answer this question is you !

Bom caminho
Thanks. All is good. I'm already back :)

Hi All, we walked the Senda Litoral this past May/June. If you're " hoping for some less human and car traffic as well as beautiful scenery.", you'll only get 1 of the 3. It is beautiful, no doubt. There's albergues in every town, but perhaps only one. Albertinho did a great job above describing availability for each town. We did not see or hear of any problems getting a bed until we reached Redondela, where all three of the Portuguese routes come together. We used the new Brierley book, had to buy a second one b/c the one we bought in December lacked the Senda Litoral section. It's sufficient with albergues and cafes located and contact info. I might have missed your dates, but the cafes along the beach before 1 June may or may not be open. I would guess that would be a problem after summer vacations end too.

I do have a day-to-day blog with some images. Its not great and is really my journal, so it is written in that manner, but message me if you want to take a look.

We are leaving on the same journey from Porto starting Sept 17 and like you intend walking the Senda Litoral. I bought the Brierley guide that was published in January of this year as it includes a section in the back specifically covering the Litoral route and the coastal route which is a little further inland. Of course it also covers the traditional interior route should the weather kick up on the coast and require a change of plans. We live on the west coast of Canada so we know things can change fast in a coastal climate. I also downloaded the maps referred to below by Luis do Freixo. I picked out the ones I might need for the litora and printed them off and placed a folded copy into my Brierley guide. I later copied them to my smart phone which works better as I can then zoom. I think the maps will come in most handy getting through the cities. Also, don't miss checking out the info posted in the forum about the Variante Espiritual option.
Bom Camino!

Thank you for the information. Can you provide a link to the correct Brierley guide? Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

I'm planning my second Camino this summer; this time from Porto. I very much would like to walk along the coast- hoping for some less human and car traffic as well as beautiful scenery.

But I'm struggling to find information, ideally a guide I could use. Can anyone recommend sites or guides with (a) map(s) and simple but useful descriptions of the route for either the very coastal route of Senda da Orla Litoral or the slightly further away route of Caminho da Costa.

If you have walked this Camino, please share with me what you think deserves or need to be shared.

Thank you,

Kasia
Hi Kasia,
I'm planning on walking the Portuguese costal camino in July. Am also finding it difficult to find detailed maps and information. Want to stay as close to the coast as possible from Porto to Santiago.
Was wondering if u could help with info and maps and some tips or advice from your experience last year.
Thank you.
Mags x

Hi,

Thank you,

Kasia

Hello Kasia,
I walked this route last July with my son. It was a beautiful route, but be prepared to walk against the wind and ocean at times, which made it a slower pace. Lots of walking on boardwalks also, was tougher on the feet and legs at times. I walked the central route the previous year and can't say that I loved it more, but being in the forests and nature made it a little less strenuous. It was also a shorter route (central), but one can absolutely adjust on the Portuguese way, as there were MANY albergues/cafes. I was given a great map when we stopped in Caminho and it is what I used along the route, you can find it on the following: http://www.dobrarfronteiras.com/guia-caminho-portugues-santiago/, also stopped in Porto at the famous bookstore and found another great guidebook that was smaller and easier to carry than Brierley's, comes in many languages also: http://www.fromportugal.com/en/. One other recommendation that I may make is to take the "Espiritual route" once you come to Pontevedra. It is very well marked and the distance is the same, difference is that instead of walking 21k on the 3rd leg, you take a boat (1 1/2hrs) and meet up again in Padron and than on to Santiago. Hope this helps and would be happy to share more if you need it! Bom Caminho

Hello Kasia,
I walked this route last July with my son. It was a beautiful route, but be prepared to walk against the wind and ocean at times, which made it a slower pace. Lots of walking on boardwalks also, was tougher on the feet and legs at times. I walked the central route the previous year and can't say that I loved it more, but being in the forests and nature made it a little less strenuous. It was also a shorter route (central), but one can absolutely adjust on the Portuguese way, as there were MANY albergues/cafes. I was given a great map when we stopped in Caminho and it is what I used along the route, you can find it on the following: http://www.dobrarfronteiras.com/guia-caminho-portugues-santiago/, also stopped in Porto at the famous bookstore and found another great guidebook that was smaller and easier to carry than Brierley's, comes in many languages also: http://www.fromportugal.com/en/. One other recommendation that I may make is to take the "Espiritual route" once you come to Pontevedra. It is very well marked and the distance is the same, difference is that instead of walking 21k on the 3rd leg, you take a boat (1 1/2hrs) and meet up again in Padron and than on to Santiago. Hope this helps and would be happy to share more if you need it! Bom Caminho
Liana thankyou for this information. I arrive in Porto in 5 weeks to start the Camino Portugues, mostly the Coastal route. If you could provide any tips/recommendations id really appreciate it :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Has anyone done the Vigo Moana ferry , and walked over the hill there.
My journey is changing every day. Looking at Moana area, and thinking of walking around the peninsular, and up, or over the 500m high hill.
I leave september 14th, so no rush to figure it all out.

Hi,

Thank you,

Kasia
We just walked the coast from Porto to Caminha then inland to Valenca and Tui,. The coast road is very well marked,it is either a boardwalk through the dunes or a paved way, there is only about 6 kilometers of dirt path. just stay by the beach abd ekkp the ocean on your left. The only place it broke up was in Afife where the path stops. You either have to walk on the soft sand for about an hour or walk into Afife and follow the village road north and you will pick up the yellow arrow about 6 kilometers south of Prai Ancora. We had no map, npo guides and just used this forum to find the Alburgues. Never had a problem,never got lost. Plenty of places to eat and drink along the way . Bon Camino!!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bom Camino!
Hello! Did you blog? Can you send a link to your blog? Thanks!

Hi Kasia,

How was your camino in Portugal? I am considering the Coastal route with a friend next summer, 2018. I have already done walked Camino Frances. Are the albergues as plentiful and cheap?

How was your camino in Portugal? I am considering the Coastal route with a friend next summer, 2018. I have already done walked Camino Frances. Are the albergues as plentiful and cheap?
Hello Claudia.
The camino was wonderful. We did not blog, just walked, ate and enjoyed the ocean breezes, lovely wooded paths and rivers. 90% of it is off any main road. The Albergues are not as plentiful, but they are there at the major towns. In Portugal they are cheap, in Spain a little more. We walked May 27 to June 11 and saw few pilgrims on the Coastal route ,so available albergues should be no problem. We ran into most of the pilgrims in Tui Spain all the way to Santiago. There you may need to call ahead and book a space as there were lots of people. We went inland from the coast at the Spanish border. Along the coast we met many pilgrims who did like us and had the luggage transferred day by day and stayed in 2 and 3 star hotels and hostals. (Need that private bath and quiet sleep.) Considering breakfast included and there were 2 of us, it ended up being jst as cheap as an albergue.
The really good thing is that it is very well marked. We had no guide book, no maps and never got lost or waylaid. just follwed the yellow arrows and kept the sea on our left.
We will walk the Spain Coastal Route next year from Caminha Portugal across the river to O garda up to Baione, Vigo and Pontravedra then take the Variant Espiritu route to Padron. We liked the abundance of nature, lack of lots of people and the wonderful people we met and found that in most of the hotels we stayed the majority of people were pilgrims.
Bon Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How many kms per day did you average? We are planning to do the Portuguese next October, but have heard that the stages are really long. We too like to stay in private rooms (did the Frances last year). How did you locate them?

How many kms per day did you average? We are planning to do the Portuguese next October, but have heard that the stages are really long. We too like to stay in private rooms (did the Frances last year). How did you locate them?
We started off at about 22 to 24 K a day then took a 15 k day then another 16 k day and back to 20 to 24 k>alternating depending on how we felt after we arrived at our destination. In Portugal the terrain along the coast was flat so it is an easy walk.We found the hotels using booking.com each time we arrived at our destination we would book for the next night and contact the bag transfer company of our destination. Since we were walking the coast in Portugal and it was not high season the 3 and 4 star hotels were really inexpensive considering the rates included breakfast for 2.
Bon Camino

We walked this route in May 2016. It is very beaitiful. I have photos and information on my blog which might be of interest, especially my reflection on what we found useful to take. Or not! That post is titled Practicalities. Bom Caminho!

https://twowalktosantiago.wordpress.com

I have just completed the Portuguese coastal via the senda littoral however I didn't find many arrows on the senda and at times i seemed to get a bit lost or ended up on the coastal path proper. Generally I went porto to Vila do Conde, there to esposende, there to viana, v to caminha etc as per the Brierley guide. On the coast be prepared for strong winds and fog. There were a few 15/18 km stages but on average you will be doing between 22 to 24kms per stage, with the odd one longer. I was walking in June which was very hot and what with stops I didn't manage much more than 3kms per hour. I stayed in hotels and guesthouses, mainly using booking.com as most are cancellable if you have to change plans etc. I would esp recommend ibis porto central as its well located for all the porto sites, casa do marques in Baiona, casa puertas in Oia.

Attachments

• WP_20170611_033.jpg
    WP_20170611_033.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • WP_20170611_023.jpg
    WP_20170611_023.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Pack a good rain coat, we walked the Portugeses route in November and it was a mud track. Rain starts in October and is constant. Most of the pilgrims start in Tui so the route before then is sparse and not always well marked, The few albrgues are also closed that time of year but you will find cheap hotels in most places, we slept in plenty of fire stations, which were pretty Spartan, Stages are not long, but often they are on the side of busy roads, and it gets dark early that time of year, so take headlamps, one for the front and one for the back of your pack, we also sewed reflective strips on our packs after seeing French pilgrims get hit by cars on earlier caminos.
Sorry, don't mean to put you off, just be sensible and roll with what ever the road throws at you, enjoy your Camino.

Look at

Bom caminho

Olá Albertinho, after Porto along the coast. Don´forget Angeiras, Labruge and Vila Chá where pilgrims can stay .

Bom caminho, Rainer

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Look at

Bom caminho
I see a pension in Fao. is out still there?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
[QUOTE = "Telelama, poste: 437906, membre: 39734"] Bonjour à tous, nous avons parcouru la Senda Litoral en mai / juin dernier. Si vous «espérez un peu moins de trafic humain et de voiture ainsi que de beaux paysages», vous n'en aurez que 1 sur 3. C'est beau, sans aucun doute. Il y a des albergues dans chaque ville, mais peut-être une seule. Albertinho a fait un excellent travail ci-dessus décrivant la disponibilité pour chaque ville. Nous n'avons pas vu ou entendu parler de problèmes avant d'arriver à Redondela, où les trois routes portugaises se rejoignent. Nous avons utilisé le nouveau livre de Brierley, nous avons dû acheter un second b / c celui que nous avons acheté en décembre manquait de la section Senda Litoral. C'est suffisant avec les albergues et les cafés situés et les coordonnées. Je pourrais avoir manqué vos dates, mais les cafés le long de la plage avant le 1er juin peuvent ou ne peuvent pas être ouverts.

J'ai un blog au jour le jour avec des images. Ce n'est pas génial et c'est vraiment mon journal, donc c'est écrit de cette manière, mais envoyez-moi un message si vous voulez jeter un coup d'œil. [/ QUOTE]
O

Salut, pèlerin!
Merci pour votre proposition de m'envoyer le lien avec votre blog. J'ai choisi de publier le littoral de Senda, sourire, après Camino del Norte et le Primitivo je jetterai un coup d'oeil dans votre blog avec plaisir
marietisse2@gmail.com

Thanks!!!!!!

No maps or apps needed; as well marked as anything you can imagine. Plenty of free maps on sign ever couple kilometers. Relax and enjoy. Bom Caminho!

Has anyone done the Vigo Moana ferry , and walked over the hill there.
My journey is changing every day. Looking at Moana area, and thinking of walking around the peninsular, and up, or over the 500m high hill.
I leave september 14th, so no rush to figure it all out.

You can see images of the forest path across Moaña at this blog:
Crossing the estuary from Vigo to Moaña by ferry is also an amazing experience. Sometimes you even can see dolphins, specially on spring or late summer and early fall.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back