• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

€ or $

Margaret Butterworth

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
Just returned from Spain, where I was always asked "Euros or Australian Dollars" when paying by credit card. Which is the best option?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Whatever country you’re in ALWAYS pay in the local currency. Otherwise you expose yourself to the DCC exchange rate (Dynamic Currency Conversion). This is a complete rort, and you will end up paying about 3% more than you otherwise would.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Whatever country you’re in ALWAYS pay in the local currency. Otherwise you expose yourself to the DCC exchange rate (Dynamic Currency Conversion). This is a complete rort, and you will end up paying about 3% more than you otherwise would.
Yes, that's what I did, but Visa then charged me to convert to dollars - as I discovered later when checking my bill.

Yes, that's what I did, but Visa then charged me to convert to dollars - as I discovered later when checking my bill.
Then you need to change your credit card.
There are many cards available that do not charge a conversion fee, and convert the transaction very close to the spot rate current at the time.
There are others, but one such card is called 28 Degrees.

That has been the standard, but you still were better off than if you had selected Australian dollars. There now are many credit cards that do not charge a conversion fee. Find one of them for your next trip and you will save a little bit.:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What you've tripped over is really a great credit scam on the part of card companies. Most are internationally based and charging a % (usually pretty high) to "convert" from anything to your local currency is really just legal theft. As others have pointed out, there are a lot of credit cards that don't charge foreign transaction fees. I know that in the states both Chase and Citibank have miles based cards that don't charge foreign transaction fees. If they don't then local currency is always better, if they do home currency is often better but usually the ones that have foreign transaction fees will either still charge you the fee or will have a very bad exchange rate.

It is not the card companies at fault here. If you choose to pay in your home currency then the local retailer and/or bank are the ones who benefit from the worse exchange rate.
VISA and MasterCard apply a very competitive rate to foreign currency transactions and if you look up, say, VISA Europe then you can check their exchange rate for major currencies. For VISA Sterling/Euro was 1.1406 today which is pretty good.
When you use VISA's calculator you will note that there is a box to insert a converter percentage. This is where your issuing bank is charging you a fee.
As noted above make sure you pay in local currency. Insist on this as retailers must offer you this option. If your issuing bank is charging you it is time to change your provider. And the cost may be much more than 3% - see the link to a BBC article which states that charges may range up to 10%. Ouch!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40702496

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Just learned this new word (I'd never heard it before): "Rort - a fraudulent or dishonest act or practice", or "a wild party."

Interesting!

All credit cards from Capital One do not charge a transaction fee for converting foreign currency.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
ALWAYS pay in local currency, that way you avoid nasty shocks on spurious conversion rates and commission.

Thanks for all the info! Most enlightening! Now, I've rechecked my Visa bill from ANZ Bank and it says this:
APR
HOTEL SPA SINAGOGA HERVAS $68.00 EUR INCL OVERSEAS TXN FEE 3.27 AUD
-$112.23

Are they trying to pretend it's a government tax?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I use a Revolut card for transactions outside of my home Euro zone. It is a debit card that you top up and can use in the local currency, charges are very low. If it gets stolen or lost, it can only be used up to the cash amount you have in it. I find it useful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.