• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

🌱 Vegetarians, Vegans and friends of plant based food

MiaBu

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi to all plant based food fans!

If you are veggie oder vegan or just prefer planed based food...
The last complete thread about this topic is 7 years ago. And everyone that has been to the camino or even just to Spain, knows it can be more difficult to find plant based menus. While in big European Citys veggie menu options are regular, in the country it can be a challenge. But things are changing...
So my idea is that we collect places that offer veggie or vegan options that you recommend. It can be either albergues or restaurants. So what was your favorite place?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Our albergue albergue Ponte Ferreira is an all vegetarian albergue with also vegan food in the camino Primitivo, 27 kms after Lugo: www.ponteferreira.com.
On the Primitivo at least also albergues El Tulipan in Salas, Bodenaya and Fontenonaya are vegetarian.

Have a look too in the Spanish part of the downloadpage of the Dutch confraternity of Saint James (page haa a google translate button). There is also guide for vegetarion food in the Camino Frances from march 2018.https://www.santiago.nl/downloads/

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Our albergue albergue Ponte Ferreira is an all vegetarian albergue with also vegan food in the camino Primitivo, 27 kms after Lugo: www.ponteferreira.com.
On the Primitivo at least also albergues El Tulipan in Salas, Bodenaya and Fontenonaya are vegetarian.

Have a look too in the Spanish part of the downloadpage of the Dutch confraternity of Saint James (page haa a google translate button). There is also guide for vegetarion food in the Camino Frances from march 2018.https://www.santiago.nl/downloads/
In Samblismo on the Primitivo too!

If you're on Facebook we have a dedicated page Vegetarians and Vegans on the Camino. Most postings are places on the Francés but postings are increasing as well as members. We're now 1700+ strong.

We had a fantastic vegetarian pilgrim dinner at Las Hadas Albergue Peregrinos Camino Santiago in Reliegos on the Camino Frances. Nice place to stay also. We also had a good vegetable heavy meal at Carea Bistro near the Plaza Mayor in León. After Astorga, it became easier to find vegetarian pilgrim menu options, and in general, lots more vegetables on menus. In Triacastela we had a huge lovely plate of grilled vegetables (zucchini, green onion, tomato, asparagus) , a cazuela of mushrooms with garlic, and some grilled seafood at Restaurante Esther - they also had a vegetarian pilgrim menu. We are not vegetarians, we just eat veg heavy in general, so had been craving veggies and ordering good veggie dishes whenever we can find them. Def easier since hitting Galicia.

Happy Cow is a brilliant app that has allowed me to find vegan / veg in most towns with more than a couple restaurants. Things were really difficult until I started using the app. I’ve written tons of reviews based on my Norte experiences on the app.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Happy Cow is a brilliant app that has allowed me to find vegan / veg in most towns with more than a couple restaurants. Things were really difficult until I started using the app. I’ve written tons of reviews based on my Norte experiences on the app.
My son has been to Spain several times (I’m going next year!) and he has successfully used the Happy Cow app to find tasty plants all over the country.

In Samblismo on the Primitivo too!

If you're on Facebook we have a dedicated page Vegetarians and Vegans on the Camino. Most postings are places on the Francés but postings are increasing as well as members. We're now 1700+ strong.
What is link to the Facebook group please.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back