• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD 🦠 Travel to Spain/Portugal for Canadian travelers

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news! Full cash refund so no doubt the pressure from the media had a little something to do with that! Rebooked with AF just now. Thanks all for the support.
Amazing how contracting the media, particularly CBC's consumer report services, makes the most amazing turn-arounds in company policy. Very good news on your tussle with WestJet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks! I see they are using Travel Doc as well. Great website to determine documentation needed for entry into any country.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Normally I would be able to figure this out … however…

If I understand correctly:

Fully vaccinated Canadians arriving Spain dont need to have a COVID test (providing they are vaccinated with an EU approved vaccine which rules out Astra Seneca/ COVISHIELD)

However upon returning to Canada, the same fully vaccinated Canadians dont need to quarantine but still do need to get a PCR COVID test prior to boarding at their expense and then again upon arrival into Canada (at the government’s expense)

Does anybody have a different opinion ?

Fully vaccinated Canadians arriving Spain dont need to have a COVID test (providing they are vaccinated with an EU approved vaccine which rules out Astra Seneca/ COVISHIELD)

However upon returning to Canada, the same fully vaccinated Canadians dont need to quarantine but still do need to get a PCR COVID test prior to boarding at their expense and then again upon arrival into Canada (at the government’s expense)

you are correct except according to the this tracker, AstraZeneca Covishield is accepted in France and Spain.

Also it's still not clear to me who covers the cost of the test once back in Canada.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Current (27 July 2021) rules:
  • Canadians flying directly from Canada to Spain (whether vaccinated or not) do not need to present proof of vaccination nor a negative test result nor proof of earlier illness.

• Canadians flying directly from Canada to France (who are vaccinated) must have a Covid-19 vaccination certificate. France recognises the AstraZeneca/Covishield vaccin as a valid vaccin for these purposes. No test required for this category of travellers from Canada to France.

• Canadians flying directly from Canada to Portugal (whether vaccinated or not) must hold either a negative RT-PCR test result (or similar NAAT test) tested within 72 hours prior to boarding, or a Rapid Antigen Test tested within 48 hours prior to boarding.
The link posted earlier - https://airfrance.traveldoc.aero - is useful and up to date in real time. Enter your departure and arrival airports to see the relevant information.

Last edited:

you are correct except according to the this tracker, AstraZeneca Covishield is accepted in France and Spain.
This is interesting that France accepts the AstraSeneca Covidshield vaccine

Current (27 July 2021) rules:
  • Canadians flying directly from Canada to Spain (whether vaccinated or not) do not need to present proof of vaccination nor a negative test result nor proof of earlier illness.

• Canadians flying directly from Canada to France (who are vaccinated) must have a Covid-19 vaccination certificate. France recognises the AstraZeneca/Covishield vaccin as a valid vaccin for these purposes. No test required for this category of travellers from Canada to France.

• Canadians flying directly from Canada to Portugal (whether vaccinated or not) must hold either a negative RT-PCR test result (or similar NAAT test) tested within 72 hours prior to boarding, or a Rapid Antigen Test tested within 48 hours prior to boarding.
The link posted earlier - https://airfrance.traveldoc.aero - is useful and up to date in real time. Enter your departure and arrival airports to see the relevant information.
Thanks - this is very helpful !

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Also it's still not clear to me who covers the cost of the test once back in Canada.
I understand the government pays for the second test

Where are you getting the information about a second test being needed on arrival?

See "Getting Tested to Enter Canada" at https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...ovid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

That is our federal travel advisory board site. There is no mention of a second test required *EXCEPT* if you have a layover, still in the EU or elsewhere outside Canada, that will cause your initial departure test to time out at 72 hours prior to arrival in Canada. If you have such layover (let's say: Iceland, for a daylong layover, for example), then you will need to be re-tested prior to boarding your connecting flight into Canada. *THAT* would be at your expense.

The only testing that the governments are paying for in Canada have to do with maintaining safe workplaces, or performing assessments at health test centres for people who think they might have come into contact with COV. But if you are merely curious, or you are travelling, then you have to go to a pharmacy and pay anywhere from $40 to $200 for a test and the documentation it comes with. If your workplace does testing, they are acquiring RAT kits from your local public health unit, at a very low cost -- or not cost depending on the public health unit and the type of workplace, and employees are not to be charged for tests. All presumptive positives on RATs must go for PCR testing, and are reported to the health unit, but something in the range of 60% of presumptive positives are negative on PCR testing. Negative RAT results are 100% accurate. Positive RAT results run only about 40% correct on the whole. (My partner does RAT testing with public health as a volunteer, and as a department lead at his university; also works as a volunteer in a pharmacy school vaccination clinic).

Last edited by a moderator:

That is my understanding!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Where are you getting the information about a second test being needed on arrival?

See "Getting Tested to Enter Canada" at https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/t...ovid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

That is our federal travel advisory board site. There is no mention of a second test required *EXCEPT* if you have a layover, still in the EU or elsewhere outside Canada, that will cause your initial departure test to time out at 72 hours prior to arrival in Canada. If you have such layover (let's say: Iceland, for a daylong layover, for example), then you will need to be re-tested prior to boarding your connecting flight into Canada. *THAT* would be at your expense.

The only testing that the governments are paying for in Canada have to do with maintaining safe workplaces, or performing assessments at health test centres for people who think they might have come into contact with COV. But if you are merely curious, or you are travelling, then you have to go to a pharmacy and pay anywhere from $40 to $200 for a test and the documentation it comes with. If your workplace does testing, they are acquiring RAT kits from your local public health unit, at a very low cost -- or not cost depending on the public health unit and the type of workplace, and employees are not to be charged for tests. All presumptive positives on RATs must go for PCR testing, and are reported to the health unit, but something in the range of 60% of presumptive positives are negative on PCR testing. Negative RAT results are 100% accurate. Positive RAT results run only about 40% correct on the whole. (My partner does RAT testing with public health as a volunteer, and as a department lead at his university; also works as a volunteer in a pharmacy school vaccination clinic).
My understanding is that fully vaccinated travelers into Canada will need a pre arrival test and a post arrival test. This is what i understand from the government website. “

Who doesn’t need an arrival test​

Fully vaccinated travellers still have to do an arrival test.”

you may be exempt from quarantine but not testing.

Last edited:
My understanding is that fully vaccinated travelers into Canada will need a pre arrival test and a post arrival test. This is what i understand from the government website.
Where do you get that information? The link I posted -- and explained, which comes from the travel.gc.ca statement, does not indicate a *post arrival test* is required:

"
you must take a test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada. Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid molecular test result.

• If you have a connecting flight:
    • the test must be conducted within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your last direct flight to Canada
    • you may need to schedule the test in your transit city
All travellers must:

• provide one of the accepted types of tests, not an antigen test
  • keep proof of your test results for the 14-day period that begins on the day you enter Canada." (from the site linked in my post above)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Where do you get that information? The link I posted -- and explained, which comes from the travel.gc.ca statement, does not indicate a *post arrival test* is required:

"
you must take a test within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your flight to Canada. Airlines will refuse boarding to travellers who are unable to provide a valid molecular test result.

• If you have a connecting flight:
    • the test must be conducted within 72 hours of the scheduled departure time of your last direct flight to Canada
    • you may need to schedule the test in your transit city
All travellers must:

• provide one of the accepted types of tests, not an antigen test
  • keep proof of your test results for the 14-day period that begins on the day you enter Canada." (from the site linked in my post above)

Checklists of requirements​

Fully vaccinated traveller exemption checklist
Starting July 5, 2021, fully vaccinated travellers who are permitted to enter Canada may be exempted from the federal requirements to:

• quarantine, including the government-authorized hotel for air travellers, and
  • complete a day-8 test
Final determination regarding this exemption is made by a government representative at the border based on the information presented at the time of entry into Canada.

Travellers who crossed the border before July 5, 2021 do not qualify for the exemption.

Before you travel​

Use the same email address for all of your entry requirements, where applicable (that is, when registering for COVID-19 testing upon arrival and creating your ArriveCAN account).

Arriving in Canada​

Have the following items with you for assessment by a government official at the border:

• ArriveCAN receipt
  • proof of vaccination
  • pre-entry test results
  • other travel documents

After arriving​

If you meet the requirements and are exempt from quarantine, you may travel on by air or land to your destination.

You must:

• follow local public health measures
  • wear a mask while in public for 14 days
  • maintain a list of all close contacts for your first 14 days in Canada
  • keep copies of your proof of vaccination for 14 days
Flying checklist (if you're not eligible for fully vaccinated traveller exemption)Driving checklist (if you're not eligible for fully vaccinated traveller exemption)Requirements for entering Canada by private boat

Fines and consequences​

You are under a legal obligation to meet the testing and entry requirements. Failure to comply with any requirements or providing false information may result in fines, penalties or imprisonment.

Exemptions for testing and quarantine​

If you think you may be exempt from mandatory requirements:

Find out if your travel is exempt

Did you find what you were looking for?​

Yes No