• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1 day before I go - Last minute pack check

ScottRD

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to Walk Camino De Santiago (French Way)
hi everyone,

thanks so much for all your help! i am heading off tomorrow for my first camino. i wanted to run my pack list by you to see if i'm missing anything etc. let me know! thanks!

here it is:

osprey exos 38l pack
merrell moab ventillators
tevas
flip flops
3x merino wool underrpants
3xmerino wool light weight socks (smart wool phd)
2xsock liners (1 silk, 1 poly)
1 long sleeve merino wool tshirt
2x short sleeve merino wool t shirts
1x light weight cotton long sleeve "dress" shirt
1 lightweight fleece
marmot preclip rain jacket
2x super light weigh walking shorts
1x linen evening dress short
1x lightweight pants
pack rain cover
sun hat
sunglasses
2xdrink bottles (500ml & 750ml)

silk sleeping bag liner
quick dry towel

5l drybag
ultra light daybag

sunscreen
nail clippers
small scissors
moleskin pack
bandaids
needle & thread
toothbrush
toothpaste
deoderant
2 oz dr bronnens
woolite detergent packets
sleep mask
earplugs
headlamp
ibprofen
electrolyte packets

passprort
camino passport
wallet
money belt

iphone
charger
kindle
headphones

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My remarks in italics:

TEVAS/FLIP FLOPS - either or, not both
3X MERINO WOOL UNDERRPANTS - 2 are enough
3XMERINO WOOL LIGHT WEIGHT SOCKS (SMART WOOL PHD) - 2 are enough
1 LONG SLEEVE MERINO WOOL TSHIRT - leave at home, you already have a warm layer with the fleece
1X LIGHT WEIGHT COTTON LONG SLEEVE "DRESS" SHIRT - leave at home
2X SUPER LIGHT WEIGH WALKING SHORTS - I would make one of them normal length trousers
1X LINEN EVENING DRESS SHORT - Leave at home
1X LIGHTWEIGHT PANTS - so leave one of the shorts at home
NEEDLE & THREAD - I only hope there are for sewing clothes NOT blisters (high risk of infection!)
DEODERANT - if you must ...

Buen Camino, SY

Thanks for the reply but here's my reasoning

TEVAS/FLIP FLOPS - Tevas aren't easy to slip in and out of - especially going to bathroom/shower at night in Algergue - flip flops aren't sturdy enough to walk on the trail.

1 LONG SLEEVE MERINO WOOL TSHIRT - not for warmth but for sun protection

1X LIGHT WEIGHT COTTON LONG SLEEVE "DRESS" SHIRT - Both sun protection and something nicer to wear in the cities or evenings

1X LINEN EVENING DRESS SHORT - very light weigh and is nice to change into after walking.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
well I haven't weighed the entire pack yet BUT i can say this. The following including the pack itself weights 8pounds

OSPREY EXOS 38L PACK

3X MERINO WOOL UNDERRPANTS
3XMERINO WOOL LIGHT WEIGHT SOCKS (SMART WOOL PHD)
2XSOCK LINERS (1 SILK, 1 POLY)
1 LONG SLEEVE MERINO WOOL TSHIRT
2X SHORT SLEEVE MERINO WOOL T SHIRTS
1X LIGHT WEIGHT COTTON LONG SLEEVE "DRESS" SHIRT
1 LIGHTWEIGHT FLEECE
MARMOT PRECLIP RAIN JACKET
2X SUPER LIGHT WEIGH WALKING SHORTS
1X LINEN EVENING DRESS SHORT
1X LIGHTWEIGHT PANTS
PACK RAIN COVER
SILK SLEEPING BAG LINER
QUICK DRY TOWEL

I have begun to think this is a very difficult question to answer because people have different purposes while they are on this trip, different fitness levels, and different levels of comfort desired. There appears to me to be very experienced and seasoned travelers that are most helpful in their responses, but they tend to be minimalist, not in need of any normal comforts and have differing fitness levels. Perhaps the best thing is to take everything you believe you can carry effectively and then discard items if the cost -benefit of carrying and comfort is not working for you. That is what I am going to do.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Got it. Thanks for your advise! I am trying to thin down as much as I can now!

Any need for a stuff able day pack?

@ScottRD :
Just a couple of comments based on my one experience of walking the Camino Frances. Have you worn the merino wool underpants? I took two pairs with me last year and soon put a thumb through one pair, as they were very fragile. They weren't very comfortable, either. Have you considered what you will wear for nightwear in a mixed gender dorm in August? I took cotton for comfort and modesty (light t shirt and boxer-style shorts) and think that I would find merino wool hot in summer weather. Do you need more than one change of trousers? I took one pair of zip-off pants and a walking skirt (for evening wear but also possible to walk in). If you are comfortable with the weight and your choices, go for it. Buen camino.

First, a forum tip... Don't use all caps. It is much more difficult to read, so many people won't make the effort to do it. It is considered to be equivalent to shouting. I know that isn't your intent, but it really is hard to focus on the list.

You do have more clothes than you need. However, if you are comfortable carrying a bit of extra, then you are fine. It would be interesting to know the complete weight and whether you have done any test walks carrying that amount.

For example you have 3 pairs of shorts. You only need one - when they are being washed, you wear your long pants. If you really want another pair, that still only makes 2 pairs of shorts.

I carry a string-style day pack that weighs only 50 g. You can easily buy one in Spain if you decide you want one.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I do really like the merino underpants. Ive been wearing the smart wool boxer briefs for over a year and find them very good.

First, a forum tip... Don't use all caps. It is much more difficult to read, so many people won't make the effort to do it. It is considered to be equivalent to shouting. I know that isn't your intent, but it really is hard to focus on the list.

You do have more clothes than you need. However, if you are comfortable carrying a bit of extra, then you are fine. It would be interesting to know the complete weight and whether you have done any test walks carrying that amount.

For example you have 3 pairs of shorts. You only need one - when they are being washed, you wear your long pants. If you really want another pair, that still only makes 2 pairs of shorts.

I carry a string-style day pack that weighs only 50 g. You can easily buy one in Spain if you decide you want one.

Just fixed all caps.

@ScottRD hi... I am currently on the Camino Frances and it is really hot ... 36C in direct sun. I usually get to an albergue any time 1300 -1500 and wash my clothes after a shower... the clothes - bridgedale socks, elastane/cotton undies, kilpi tech t shirt, viscose shorts and ctton/ poly bra all dried by 1800 hours.... so hv been using these same clothing daily for walks...:) (although you do need some clothes to wear whilst the clothes are wet!):D
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
thanks for the update from the road! DO you need long pants?

Scott

Hi... I did wear long trousers walking to Orisson and Roncesvalles and I have another Kilpi short sleeve as well as a quick dry sports shorts. I prefer wearing my viscose shorts as its sooooo much cooler... I also hv a lightweight fleece too for cooler weather when walking Ocelebrio... hope this helps!

I do really like the merino underpants. Ive been wearing the smart wool boxer briefs for over a year and find them very good.

I agree with wearing merino boxers. They can be fragile but the benefits out way disadvantageds.

The dr bronner can be used for washing clothes and for brushing your teeth, the peppermint is OK but the eucalyptus takes getting use to.

Dr bronner now do a 5oz toothpaste.

https://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/TOOTHPASTE/TPAN05.html

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Our lists are quite similar. I always take more socks as I seem to lose them along the way. I realized I hated showering in my tevas, and then having to wear them while they dried, so I ended getting the cheapest lightest flops I could find. I also take a dress for evening wear and while it definitely isn't necessary, it was worth the weight to me to carry. If the weight is only eight pounds, that seems good to me. I also write down the address of Ivar in Santiago in case I decide to mail some items ahead.

Agree with everyone that you are taking way to many clothes, but things you don't include are safety pins, and a small bag/money belt/fanny pack for your passport money etc, that you take with you when your rucsac is left outside the coffee shop, and put bottom on sleeping bag for security (take with when going for a pee)

I used a Sea to Summit day pack to carry my stuff to the shower (valuables and clean clothes), as well as using it in town for buying my trail food. I found it really helpful.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for the reply but here's my reasoning

TEVAS/FLIP FLOPS - Tevas aren't easy to slip in and out of - especially going to bathroom/shower at night in Algergue - flip flops aren't sturdy enough to walk on the trail.

1 LONG SLEEVE MERINO WOOL TSHIRT - not for warmth but for sun protection

1X LIGHT WEIGHT COTTON LONG SLEEVE "DRESS" SHIRT - Both sun protection and something nicer to wear in the cities or evenings

1X LINEN EVENING DRESS SHORT - very light weigh and is nice to change into after walking.
[/QUOT

No to Teevas and Flipflops. Just get a pair of well structured not moisture keeping, easy doning shoes like RVA Birkies or Crocs.

Leave dress short at home, you are not going anywhere where people don't know you are on the Camino and carrying everything on your back.

Nice to know there are people on route wearing 3x undies ;0)

Leave nail clippers home. you hace scissors and will clip ypur nails before leaving.

No sleep mask.

Consider effervescent electrolyte tables vs packets for volume and durability.

You have no rain protection gear...

May be duplicating someone else's comment....what about soap & shampoo? Perhaps buying them in St Jean?

@ScottRD
I suggest that you take your sleep mask, as it is light and will help you to get to sleep at night when the lights are still on in the dorm and to continue to sleep in the morning, when the early risers are shining their flashlights at you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
well guys and girls. Thanks so much for the feedback. Well i'm a it of a failure here.

My pack fully loaded is 20 pounds - but that is with 4 pairs of shoes and 1 liters of water. 4 pairs of shoes you say??! Yes its shit but i have size 15 feet and just really don't know what to do as I've never walked this before.

well guys and girls. Thanks so much for the feedback. Well i'm a it of a failure here.

My pack fully loaded is 20 pounds - but that is with 4 pairs of shoes and 1 liters of water. 4 pairs of shoes you say??! Yes its shit but i have size 15 feet and just really don't know what to do as I've never walked this before. Am i a failure to be at 20pounds? Id like it to be less but i can't decide. i weight 220 pounds.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Go for a few long walks with your full pack, you'll soon know if it's ok for you or not. I personally would find it too heavy but you may be younger and fitter ;)

Soap amd shampoo not needed, not at home, nor on the Camino. Fresh water does the job as scientifi reasearch will tell you.
Really? In 67 years, this is the first time I hear of this.............may need to test it out, in the 5 weeks left until I fly :) Thanks!

My pack fully loaded is 20 pounds - but that is with 4 pairs of shoes and 1 liters of water. 4 pairs of shoes you say??! Yes its shit but i have size 15 feet and just really don't know what to do as I've never walked this before.
If you haven't left yet, here is my advice...

Drop your unnecessary clothes! They may be nice to have, but your shoe problem is more important. You can buy clothes in Spain if you feel the need. Take your extra shoes but plan to transport your bag each day until you can eliminate some shoes by discarding them or mailing home.

When you walk during the day you will still need a comfortable day pack (you'll need to take at least one spare pair of shoes to change to, during the day, if the first shoes are not perfect). Put all your stuff into a cheap alternative bag (stuff sack is fine) for the transport, and carry your good back pack when walking, but with only the things needed for the day. Do not try to "see how it goes" with 20 lb and untested shoes on Day 1.

Do not walk on Day 1 with a flimsy pack containing several pounds. You could ruin your Camino that way.

Good luck and buen camino! Keep us posted!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Really? In 67 years, this is the first time I hear of this.............may need to test it out, in the 5 weeks left until I fly :) Thanks!
Tale a look at this article, selected randomly from a google search on the topic: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/08/shower-once-a-week-polluting-environment

I have curly hair, and I have to wet and condition it daily but I have not used shampoo in ages. I still get "cleaning" chemicals on my body from rinsing the conditioner out, but I try to use conditioners that have as few chemicals as possible. This helps not destroy the skin bacteria that we actually need, or skin biome. Scrub those pesky areas well, wash your hands after getting home and having ridden the subway, and especially if you have a cold and don't want to pass it on to others, but your body doesn't need all those perfumy bubbles sold to us by the P&G's of the wold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm another person who does not like commercial washing power and always use soap nuts. Environment friendly and no chemicals. Which is why I use Dr bronner liquid soap when walking. Using a chemical free natural product can only have benefits when spending weeks on a hike.

http://www.inasoapnutshell.com/

No need for soap? We will be carrying some soap and hand sanitizer in our backpacks and here is why :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3249958/

http://www.who.int/gpsc/tools/faqs/system_change/en/

Also, we heed the advice once passed on to us by a very seasoned minimalist backpacker and trekker ...pack what you will but do not exceed 10% of your body weight in your packing, including your backpack. For the Camino, we are at 7%, including the weight of our pack and boots. Camera weight excluded. We carry no electronic device of any kind, other than the camera, if you list that as electronic.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just take a small amount of shower gel and do clothes washing in shower while hair and body washing

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Go for a few long walks with your full pack, you'll soon know if it's ok for you or not. I personally would find it too heavy but you may be younger and fitter ;)

My pack also is 20lbs without water or snacks. Here goes a third try to pare it down. I, unfortunately, am not younger or fitter. Happy I logged on tonight to read this thread! Thank you to all who commented. Am still learning so much.

Unless you have special needs, anything over 5 kg (11 lb) is "unnecessary." I carry about 6 kg (13 lb) before food and water because I can do so comfortably, and I like having those extra little things. But I would not be comfortable with 20 lb!

Last edited:

I consider an ultralight daypack a neccessity. It has a multitude of uses.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just take a small amount of shower gel and do clothes washing in shower while hair and body washing
I have been in a number of albergues where they have sign distictly discouraging this practice.

I have been in a number of albergues where they have sign distictly discouraging this practice.
Thanks for that. It was back in 2010 so things must be different. Portuguese route was cold showers in the fire stations so didn't hand about ha ha.

Hey everyone! Thought I should post an update since I just finished my first camino! In the time I had, I ended up walking from Saint Jean to Leon

For me the walking was the easiest part. Worring about where to stay and "hanging around" waiting to "sleep" was the most difficult.

Couple of things

I ended up using my new balance 990s, Tevas and flip flops. This was a very good combination for me and I only encountered blisters on the last 3 days on my right heel due to extreme impact. (Walking 30km each day in meseta)

As for my gear

Pack with 1 liter of water ended up weighing approx 18pounds.

I could have possibly ditched 1 pair of socks and 1 shirt but the weight difference is very negligible.

I hardly used my long pants or rain coat but I guess its just something u need to have "incase"

I really loved some parts of the meseta. The first day from saint jean though was absolutely the best

Some other notes

1. Bed bugs. A REAL problem. I got eaten twice and it's absolutely horrible. I encountered many people who also suffered and I think this problem is very very rampant on the camino. A nightmare.

2. Italian packs. Don't want to seem racist(although I do have Italian heritage) but what is with the "gangs" of Italians taking over the alburgues and not mixing with anyone else? Is it just me or do these people not travel alone or mix?? I ended up
Making very good friends with an Italian traveling "solo" and he also felt the same way.

3. Bed race.

I was worried about places to stay but in the end I just said "**** it." I don't understand getting up at 4am and then walking until 10am just to sit around all day waiting for the next day. I loved walking. Walking was the best part. I always found a place to stay - even when arriving at 7pm. Just wish I could banish the damn worry.

And people who want to leave at 4 - that's cool but pack your bag OUTSIDE THE ROOM!!!

Anyways, wonderful experience.

I hope to continue on my camino as soon as possible.

Scott

edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.