• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1 or 2 day religious walks in Australia?

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Hi all

Are you aware of any short trails around Australia that lead to a religious destination? There are obviously the Aussie Camino (VIC-SA) and the Camino Salvado (WA) trails, but they are about 10 days each. Are you aware of anything that could be done over 1 or 2 days?

Accepting suggestions, even if not "official" trails. Maybe I should just start walking 20km away from a church and go for it :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all

Are you aware of any short trails around Australia that lead to a religious destination? There are obviously the Aussie Camino (VIC-SA) and the Camino Salvado (WA) trails, but they are about 10 days each. Are you aware of anything that could be done over 1 or 2 days?

Accepting suggestions, even if not "official" trails. Maybe I should just start walking 20km away from a church and go for it :)
How about the Way of St James Cygnet in Tasmania? There’s a website for it at https://www.waytostjames.com.au

How about the Way of St James Cygnet in Tasmania? There’s a website for it at https://www.waytostjames.com.au

This sounds like an amazing experience, thank you so much!
I'll be arriving from an overseas trip on that week, but maybe I can get my way to Tasmania right after.
Thank you so, so much indeed, I had not heard of that trail before :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At Easter each year there's an organised pilgrimage from Yass to the Monastery at Galong. It's around 60k and generally spreads over three days. I think it still happens.

De Colores

Bogong
The St Clements Way walk hasn't been conducted for a few years. I am not sure when it was last organized, nor why it stopped. There has been occasional discussion about whether to run it again, but there have been other priorities keeping some other signature walking events in the Canberra region going.

The St Clements Way walk hasn't been conducted for a few years. I am not sure when it was last organized, nor why it stopped. There has been occasional discussion about whether to run it again, but there have been other priorities keeping some other signature walking events in the Canberra region going.

I think we may need to have a ping at it again, Doug?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
At Easter each year there's an organised pilgrimage from Yass to the Monastery at Galong. It's around 60k and generally spreads over three days. I think it still happens.

De Colores

Bogong

Would seem to be a bit more than the 1-2 days envisaged by the OP - but the map and details as https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=-34.6952744827106,148.64116345386333&z=11 may be enough to plan a solo pilgrimage, but I would doubt that it will be a pleasant walk for much of the next 3 or 4 months due to heat...

Knowing a little of the area, most walking would seem to be on sealed roads with limited traffic, little shade and few ups and downs. Accommodation and food/water supplies will be limited to the few towns along the way. On the upside, I cannot see the need for a bed race!

Would seem to be a bit more than the 1-2 days envisaged by the OP - but the map and details as https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1cx_m9-IQ7-s99E6SAXXxmF51Ytc&ie=UTF&msa=0&ll=-34.6952744827106,148.64116345386333&z=11 may be enough to plan a solo pilgrimage, but I would doubt that it will be a pleasant walk for much of the next 3 or 4 months due to heat...

Knowing a little of the area, most walking would seem to be on sealed roads with limited traffic, little shade and few ups and downs. Accommodation and food/water supplies will be limited to the few towns along the way. On the upside, I cannot see the need for a bed race!

What are the elevations like? Would be good training for an Oxfam Trailwalker!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What are the elevations like? Would be good training for an Oxfam Trailwalker!
According to windy app,the total uphill bit between Yass and Galong is 785 m and the total downhill bit is 782 m

Why not just the last couple of days of the Mary MacKillop Way AKA "Aussie Camino" ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not a Christian religious walk but one of spiritual significance to Indigenous Australians.....the 80km walk (just opened this week) from Bondi Beach to Manly Beach following the Sydney Harbour Foreshore and across the Harbour Bridge. Must be one of the worlds best city walks and chronicles the indigenous heritage of the area.

Not a Christian religious walk but one of spiritual significance to Indigenous Australians.....the 80km walk (just opened this week) from Bondi Beach to Manly Beach following the Sydney Harbour Foreshore and across the Harbour Bridge. Must be one of the worlds best city walks and chronicles the indigenous heritage of the area.
That sounds interesting....

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Why not just the last couple of days of the Mary MacKillop Way AKA "Aussie Camino" ?

Because that one is on the plans to be done in full in the future :)
Also, it takes me a while to get anywhere on that route, as most of it is very far from the bigger cities and airports.
But that camino will happen eventually, oh, it will :)

Kia ora,
Does anybody know if there is a Friends of St James group in New Zealand?
It appears, there is interest in setting up a facebook group and/or have monthly meetings but I'm new to this forum so no sure if the information is out there and I have missed it.
Thanks. Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back