• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1 Week to go. SHOE FEARS

ScottRD

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to Walk Camino De Santiago (French Way)
Hey Guys and girls! Newbie here. 1 week before I embark on my first camino. Dilemma. Size 15 feet - only shoes i could get were Moab Ventilators. Have been test driving them and find that i get a feeling of friction right across the balls of my feet almost immediately - not sure if this is considered a "hot spot?" or is normal for the break in period. Kind of feels like there is "grit" in my socks - but there isn't. Any suggestions? I can't really wear any other hiking shoe because of availability/size issues.

I have Smart Wool PHD & Darn Tough list cushion. Also have a pair of silk liners.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wear shoes that are comfortable. Your feet will thank you.

You don't need special hiking boots to walk the camino.

thanks for the reply! Easier said than done though - size 15 shoes = nightmare to find. I did order a pair of the reebok classic nylons to take as well (my everyday shoe). I guess thats all i can do

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Can you experiment with removing the inner sole and trying a different one? Perhaps ask for advice in a good sports shoe store. (It would be nice to be able to test the inner soles without having to buy them.) Also different socks can make a big difference, so keep experimenting.

Thanks! I will ask at REI today about inner soles. I think the shoes fit ok (but i have never hiked before so no idea) but i am getting a feeling of pressure across the balls of my feet (even when resting). I will also take my reebok classics which i wear everyday around the city. Not sure what else i can do :(

Maybe it's the socks you're wearing? Did you try different combinations of socks with these shoes? I use Lorpen liners with merino wool socks over them (light or medium cushioned). Try different brands of socks, different cuts, left and right fit socks so you get proper support, different paddings/cushionings too.
If your shoe is too wide you might experience a feeling where there would be friction under the ball of your feet, even shoes that are 'cut' too long for your feet (even if you're a size 15). If your heel wants to come up, this creates friction under the ball of your feet - could be because the shoes is a bit too long or too wide and your foot has too much space to move around.
I have long feet, plus they are super narrow, so it's impossible to find shoes that my feet don't move in. I've been searching for a pair for 2 years for my camino, so I understand how you feel.

Tell us what combinations end up working for you and good luck!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
+1 on trying different insoles.

Also it amazes me that so many people know so little about lacing shoes and how that changes the shoe/foot contact. I have running shoes and hiking boots that have a variety of shoe lacing styles as the shoes are cut differently. Also my full out endurance running shoes and hiking boots have different lacing on the right foot than the left foot as my two feet are not identical.

There are literally thousands of ways to lace a pair of shoes or boots and they change the way they fit our feet and the comfort.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-during-a-week-of-training.38756/#post-385955

The problem could be as simple as you feet are not use to the support offered by the merrell moab's. How far have you walked and under what conditions. Does the problem get worse. You could try a few stetching exercises to see if things improve.

My chosen type of footwear it is common for first time users to have muscle aches in their feet as barefoot shoes require the use different muscles.

Last edited:
Check into some Superfeet insoles if your gut tells you something's not right. I was going to just wear the regular insoles that were in my shoes/boots and then started to feel nervous. My husband and I both switched out to the Superfeet, and wow, were we ever happy that we did. Saved our feet on the Camino!

Know that you need to be sized for them by someone knowledgeable, like someone at REI, to fit you just right.

I was under the impression that I could just buy my shoe size off the rack and that would be good enough but that's not how the insoles work. They put different size insoles down to get a custom fit and kept checking the arch of my foot to see that it was supported along with my heel alignment. Didn't take long. Then you trim to fit in your shoe with the directions. Fit like a glove and ended any friction problems. I had a couple of blisters along the way but they were really minor compared to other people's feet on the Camino. Cost between $40-$50 but priceless in my book.

I checked, they have them in men's size 15-17 if that helps. Just remember they work best being fitted. I'm so glad REI stepped in and told me that I needed to be fitted as otherwise I would have purchased right off the rack and not receive the best fit. How you lace your shoes is good to know for going uphill and downhill, too.

Buen Camino!!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
thanks! I just ordered some Keens h2 and Arroyo 2 shoes to try out. Fashion disaster but who cares! There are more of a sandal hiking hybrid but maybe they are ok????

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is a tough situation for sure because feet matter the most. I agree on the insoles, and usually wear Superfeet in all my running/hiking shoes. Before the Camino, I found a local hiking store that fit silicone insoles, after fitting to my feet. They were expensive, but great. The other thing that an experienced trekker gave me was a packet of lambswool, purchased at a local pharmacy. I didn't think I'd use it, but boy was I wrong. My low hiking shoes banged into my bony ankles going downhill, and I padded that area on both feet, plus under the tongue and under a troublesome backpack strap. While it might not be an entire insole, lambswool might be a light item to take that just might help under the balls of your feet...or elsewhere. I don't see many mentions of it anywhere.

@ScottRD I agree with the comments that if the shoes are uncomfortable now they will be even worse on Camino.

On the Camino Frances my husband wears his ordinary everyday shoes, and I wear sandals.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can you get trail runners or running shoes that fit you? That's what I wore on the Camino Frances and Invierno, and my feet did fine. My new balance running shoes were one size larger than my normal size, and worn with two pairs of socks (liners and wool), plus a cream applied each morning. No blisters or ankle problems. And you don't need to break in running shoes, just make sure they feel comfortable.

Hi ScottRD, tough with only one week to go. We are in Australia and my hubby has size 16 and this shoe issue has been a "huge" issue for us (pardon the pun). He searched online and ordered Merrell 16 Contiuams. After several long training walks, he quickly developed a ball of the foot injury which he thinks was from the shoe being generally too tight across the toes although he thought they were relatively comfortable. I think people with big feet get used to settling on slightly misfitting shoes. He then ordered some Columbia Men's North Plains Mid Water Proof Wide Trail Shoe size 16W which are almost too wide but at least he can tighten the shoelaces. They are actually a EE width. His foot injury improved almost immediately and he's had no trouble with the new ones. He ordered them from Amazon by generally searching for big trail shoes/big hiking shoes/big hiking boots etc... They took about two weeks to arrive from USA. The particular seller was www.bigfootwear.com but you might find quite a few different suppliers in that Amazon search. Hope that helps...best wishes!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@homebuilt Please read the OPs post, the discomfort started 'almost immediately'. Buen Camino, SY

I did read the post and I can also say that when I changed to barefoot type shoes ( minimal heal, feet flatter to the ground) I had a dull muscle pain like muscle cramps after wearing them for a short amount of time.

The following article mention foot pain when lowering the heal height of your shoes by a few millimetres it also say that an average shoe has a height of 10 - 12 mm, the merrell moab's have a height of 4mm. A better description of the problem may solve what wrong but could it be as simple as a change of footwear that is causing the problem.

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/got-calf-achilles-or-foot-pain-this-may-be-why

Edited to add extra information.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey Guys and girls! Newbie here. 1 week before I embark on my first camino. Dilemma. Size 15 feet - only shoes i could get were Moab Ventilators. Have been test driving them and find that i get a feeling of friction right across the balls of my feet almost immediately - not sure if this is considered a "hot spot?" or is normal for the break in period. Kind of feels like there is "grit" in my socks - but there isn't. Any suggestions? I can't really wear any other hiking shoe because of availability/size issues.

I have Smart Wool PHD & Darn Tough list cushion. Also have a pair of silk liners.
Use as a first layer nylon panty socks and as a second layer thin walking socks
the rubbing will be between the two layers.
Was wondering why you use a pair of silk liners in your shoes ;)
I use only one silk liner but only to sleep in and then my shoes are off:p

thanks everyone for the feedback and advise. Not sure if the merrell shoes need "breaking in" or if they just aren't the right fit. I love the "springiness" and heel support they provide, but they do feel tight all across the foot around the ball area and i get what feels like friction.

I normally wear Reebok Nylon Classics in my everyday - they are not very durable and don't have much support or tread, but i'm wondering now if maybe i'm just better off taking two pairs of these?

Attachments

• 6606_01.jpg
    6606_01.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 6
On my first Camino, I realized my shoes were bothering my feet in Leon (where I started), I almost bought a new pair there, but then decided my feet would adapt. This was the biggest mistake I made-- perhaps in my entire life.--- (well, except for one certain young man I fell in love with at college...) --- But back to the camino, my feet were a mess and I viewed my shoes with horror every morning. I didn't find a place to buy new shoes that was open (it was holy week) the whole walk. I threw out my shoes upon my arrival at Santiago de Compostela, and took my son's hiking shoes (three sizes too big, and heavenly comfortable). He wore his sandals for the rest of our trip. --

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hi size 15 shoe - I finished last month had a lot of issues with feet and shin splints until I sent my leather hiking boots home and bought Solomon trekkers. They were all I needed and I met others who swore by them. I bought them half way through no break in period. Feet swell so you should try on your shoes with sock liner and heavy sock but bring lighter Marino socks as well. Doesn't sound like you have options on shoe size. Vasaline worked for the 3 of us and changing sock liners and socks throughout the day. Dry your feet. Foot care number 1 on the camino. Enjoy. I'm going back again in September!

Hi size 15 shoe - I finished last month had a lot of issues with feet and shin splints until I sent my leather hiking boots home and bought Solomon trekkers. They were all I needed and I met others who swore by them. I bought them half way through no break in period. Feet swell so you should try on your shoes with sock liner and heavy sock but bring lighter Marino socks as well. Doesn't sound like you have options on shoe size. Vasaline worked for the 3 of us and changing sock liners and socks throughout the day. Dry your feet. Foot care number 1 on the camino. Enjoy. I'm going back again in September!
One other tip get surgical tape and tape all hot spot areas every day we even wrapped our toes to prevent. Worked well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you not just take what you wear at home?. The Camino doesn't really require boots unless you have ankle issues.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Dr.scholls gel inserts,put Vaseline between toes each morning before you sett off,use compeed plasters if required best regards Mike m.

Another option is to take both your standard trainers and the merrell moab's with the hope that your feet becomes accustomed to them. If you follow the advice on the forum about feet care your should be have no problems.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow, thanks for all the footwear and feet care tips. I hear the brand keens are a good one for walking anyone use them?
I plan to do "a walk" next May 2017. Still not sure to take the Portuguese route or the French. I'm 61 and reasonably fit. Suggestions on which route to take for a first time Camino walker would be most appreciated.

@ScottRD, the description you provide is not inconsistent with Morton's Neuroma, which my be the cause of another member's foot issues. It is being discussed here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/posts/428251/.

From the linked article

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mortons-neuroma/home/ovc-20202652

It says

"High-heeled shoes have been linked to the development of Morton's neuroma. Many people experience relief by switching to lower heeled shoes with wider toe boxes. Sometimes corticosteroid injections or surgery may be necessary."

It look like any shoe with a lower heal and wider toe box than your normal shoe would help relieve the symptoms.

Walking with your feet flat to the ground and toes spread is how nature intended us to walk.

As with any medical problems you should seek professional help.

A good articles too read is

http://nymag.com/health/features/46213/

One of the things mentioned in the article is that high heals shorten the tendons and moving to flat shoe can lead to painful tinkling in the soles of the feet. In an earlier post I did say that a reduction in heal hight could be the problem and stretching may help.

Edited to reflect comments.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If is Morton's Neuroma the way to ease it is to reduce the heal hight of your shoes and a wider toe box . My guess would be following that advice that the muscles of the feet would take time to adapt to the new walking style. Walking with your feet flat to the ground and toes spread is how nature intended us to walk.
Providing what amounts to medical advice without the benefit of being able to examine what is happening, even if one were appropriately qualified, is fraught. Perhaps the best thing @ScottRD could do is see his doctor about the problem, and get someone qualified to examine his feet and give him advice.

Providing what amounts to medical advice without the benefit of being able to examine what is happening, even if one were appropriately qualified, is fraught. Perhaps the best thing @ScottRD could do is see his doctor about the problem, and get someone qualified to examine his feet and give him advice.

Sorry if it looked like I was offering medical advice I was only quoting the article on Morton's Neuroma. Seeking professional help is always the best advice for medical problems.

Sorry if it looked like I was offering medical advice I was only quoting the article on Morton's Neuroma. Seeking professional help is always the best advice for medical problems.
There are ways of quoting sources like articles on websites that make it clear that the advice is not coming from you, but you are pointing to another source. It makes it easier when those referencing techniques are used to determine how credible the advice might be.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are ways of quoting sources like articles on websites that make it clear that the advice is not coming from you, but you are pointing to another source. It makes it easier when those referencing techniques are used to determine how credible the advice might be.

I have edited my previous post to reflect your comments.

My interest in feet and walking comes from having an accident that has led to have one leg being twisted, my foot points out when walking, placing strain on the rest of the body. I did a lot of reading to find a solution. The answer I found was going back to a more basic style of footwear helped reduce the problems I have.

Last edited:
Can you get trail runners or running shoes that fit you? That's what I wore on the Camino Frances and Invierno, and my feet did fine. My new balance running shoes were one size larger than my normal size, and worn with two pairs of socks (liners and wool), plus a cream applied each morning. No blisters or ankle problems. And you don't need to break in running shoes, just make sure they feel comfortable.
What about the tread of the sole? Is much tread needed for CF?

Hi Guys & Girls Thanks so much for all the feedback. Just over one day to go before I head on my way. My apt currently looks like a shoe warehouse but i have almost narrowed it down. Either Merrell Moab OR Keens Arroyo 2 as my "heavy shoe", a pair of Tevas as lighter alternative for air and possible rain and a light pair of flip flops for shower and walking around the hostel / using bathroom (the Tevas are hard to slip in and out of).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Guys & Girls Thanks so much for all the feedback. Just over one day to go before I head on my way. My apt currently looks like a shoe warehouse but i have almost narrowed it down. Either Merrell Moab OR Keens Arroyo 2 as my "heavy shoe", a pair of Tevas as lighter alternative for air and possible rain and a light pair of flip flops for shower and walking around the hostel / using bathroom (the Tevas are hard to slip in and out of).
Best wishes ScottRD!! Keep in touch and let us know how you get on with your shoe choices. Hope you have a wonderful journey!

For a while my "hobby" was buying shoes online and dropping them off at the UPS office to return them. I was getting worried that Amazon and Zappos would cut me off!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Everyone.

SO. I feel like a failure here - I was able to find 4 shoes that were great but can't decide and will probe take them all (which is BAD!). That being said, my pack with 1 liter of water and all shoes weighs 20Pounds. I am 220 pounds - doesn't mean it is ok thought as i think it's too heavy.

because of my size 15 dilemma I'm scared if a pair fails.

Right now I have the following

NEW Balance Running shoes
KEENS ARROYO 2 Sandal/hiking shoes
Tevas
Flip Flops

I know i should really eliminate 1 but just can't decide. UGH!

Thanks Everyone.

SO. I feel like a failure here - I was able to find 4 shoes that were great but can't decide and will probe take them all (which is BAD!). That being said, my pack with 1 liter of water and all shoes weighs 20Pounds. I am 220 pounds - doesn't mean it is ok thought as i think it's too heavy.

because of my size 15 dilemma I'm scared if a pair fails.

Right now I have the following

NEW Balance Running shoes
KEENS ARROYO 2 Sandal/hiking shoes
Tevas
Flip Flops

I know i should really eliminate 1 but just can't decide. UGH!
The size issue is the complicating factor - you're just not going to find shoes to fit you over there. My size 16 hubby might take an extra pair and forward them along the way possibly with some non-camino clothes for the before and after camino part of our holiday. Best wishes!

For a while my "hobby" was buying shoes online and dropping them off at the UPS office to return them. I was getting worried that Amazon and Zappos would cut me off!
This made me Lol! I have been doing the same thing at the large recreational equipment store that I frequently visit. I have been afraid they will ban me from the store!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.