• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1 week where to start

simeon

Time of past OR future Camino
Lots done and more to do!
I Hope to do a week of the Camino with my 15 yr old son in the spring. Anyone any suggestions on which route and where to start...... Onece we finish in santiago. I am more of a walker myself but he only wants to cycle I have walked the porteguese and last part of the Francis already. I'm imagining cycling is very different. We will be renting bikes and carrying own luggage and staying in alburges. Any advise welcome. Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If obtaining a compostella is important to you then you have the options of starting in Ponferrada on the Frances or the Invierno; Porto on the Portuguese or Sanabria on the Via de la Plata. Finding bike rentals may limit your choices.

Happy planning

Thanks ,there seem to be some options for bike rentals from Porto anyone have any recommendations of any companies ?? Or experience on this route by bike and what would be the typical stages.... Or is it just two walking stages per day? On a bike thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As the previous post aptly stated, you need to bike at least the last 126 miles in order to qualify for the certificate.

I would avail myself of a good cycling guide book. The brierly series are good but there are others. These also give you suggested daily mileage goals.

This stretch has some days with some fairly big climbs so you would need to pace yourself on those days i.e. you'll work just as hard but you may not have as many miles to show for it.

One aspect that I began to appreciate, as I cycled the camino frances last month, was the fact that there are places for you to stop at regular intervals along the way. This is good to remember should you find yourself with a bike breakdown or if you have simply 'run out of gas'.

If you set yourself a daily goal of 30-35 miles (average) then you would be able to complete the ride in the allotted time and this would also allow you some time for sightseeing or if you need to take a day off just to rest.

You mentioned that you would not depart until 2017 so also bear in mind that as summer approaches, the midday heat increases and many elect not to ride during the higher heat hours of the day (about 12:30 to 4:00)

buen camino

thanks wally. Yes some of the stages looks quite hilly. Which route would be the flattest for the last 200km

thanks wally. Yes some of the stages looks quite hilly. Which route would be the flattest for the last 200km
Flatter?? None that I am aware off as most of Galicia is quite hilly. Still you have 3-4-5 months of training before you start. Early June would probably be a good time - cool (very chilly in the mountains) mornings and warm (but not hot afternoons). If you intend to use the public albergues then you might have to wait until after 3.30/4.00 pm to get a bed. I used the private albergues and usually arrived around 2.30 pm and had no problems. The good ones even provide undercover/secure parking.
There are a number of bike rental companies - centred on the Iberian Peninsular (just check Dr Google), whilst I have not used them you will find enough recommendations here if you quote a few names. Most will deliver to any recognisable address on the Frances Camino (hotels are better than albergues). If you do rent - remember to bring your own (very secure) lock and that the rented bike is covered by the rental agreement insurance or your own travel insurance. Also remember your helmet - compulsory on all roads (outside of the town areas) in Spain and a BELL. If you intend to use the walkers Camino then its nice to announce your arrival well in advance. Hope you & son have a Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The guide books also provide an elevation profile and, as you can see, there are spots upon the Meseta where the terrain is flat. There is no escaping the fact that you will have some climbs.

Because of the climbs, this also means there are some BIG downhills. If the weather is calm & clear these can be fun. If it is raining, you will want to be extremely careful since visibility is down and braking the bike on a screaming downhill can lead to some spills. I'm not trying to create a scare scenario here, just advising caution.The fun part of the downhill is that you are making good progress with very little effort. wheeee.

because the national road system was put in WAY after the path, in many spots, the climbs are a little more gradual and you would actually see less of a total ascent than if you were walking.

buen camino

thanks for all your suggestions. Hmmm the downhills and a 15yr old would be my number 1 concern. I would like to keep mostly to the walkers path if I can and will probably hit the road for the big uphills. I hear everybody regarding bells!!!! Nothing like a previous walker to know why. On the other hand other than the wait at alburges and the practicalities of cycling what would be the main diffrences. Is it less sociable? Is there Camino "familys" of cyclists like there are walkers? And how often can one expect to have to do maontaince on the bikes punctures etc....

"Camino Families?", unfortunately as you are doing two stages per day you do not see the same faces each night. You might see the same cyclists over a few stages. But you will nearly always have friendly folk to talk to most nights? Cheers

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
various comments:

would like to keep mostly to the walkers path if I can and will probably hit the road for the big uphills.

We've tried to make the distinction - this may be difficult to do. In many spots, the pilgrim path is simply too rocky for bicycles and, if you wish to persist, assume that your daily progress will be much less than if you had stayed on the road

the main diffrences. Is it less sociable?

When you are progressing each day, it may feel as though cycling is more solitary than walking
When you arrive at the albergues or in the small towns, you won't notice much of a difference

Camino "familys" of cyclists like there are walkers?

not likely here since you are progressing at about 3 or 4 x the rate of the walkers and each of the bike riders you meet is if a different ability and goal level

how often can one expect to have to do maintenance on the bikes punctures etc....-path if I can and will probably hit the road for the big uphills.

I rode the camino frances last month. I rode 500 mi and didn't have one flat. The roadways in spain are in very good condition. Your bike will likely encounter more bumps and shocks if you stay on the pilgrim walking path. You should be familiar with how to change out flats and some basic maintenance on your own.

buen camino
hope this helps

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back