• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 day Camino del Norte costal route

larat

Time of past OR future Camino
future
Hi there,

I am coming on Friday 27 may (arrive late evening to Santiago) --> 6 June (leave late eve from Santiago) and was planning on doing 9/10 days of walking of the Camino del Norte. I wanted to do as much coast as possible as well as seeing some nice towns/villages. I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations of where I could get a bus to on the first day and what stops to make along the way on the way back to Santiago. I currently don't have any accomodation booked.

I have been reccomended maybe stopping by Llanes, Colugna, Villaviciosa but thought it would be great to hear some suggestions !

Thanks so much!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well larat, I guess I have some surprise/admiration for your laid-back approach, to be 5 days away from setting off and not to have nailed anything down yet.. 😲
Just had a quick look at Gronze and the Alsa timetable..
I would have thought it'd be straightforward to recommend Ribadesella or Colunga to Ribadeo, depending on how energetic you are. But Alsa looks like it's just running one very slow bus east along the coast on Saturday 28th. So unless there's another better bus option I'd say -
Start in Aviles instead - bus will get you there by 13.30. Enjoy a Saturday afternoon in Aviles which is a handsome town, plus it has the fab Oscar Niemeyer Centre a must-experience if you are curious about modernist architecture. Next day 23km to Muros or go slightly off-path to cutesy coastal village San Juan de la Arena. Then some good coastal days through to Ribadeo, including the option to detour (but takes a bit longer) via coastal E9 path. Lots of swimming possibilities. That should leave you with 2 days to venture hinterwards through some gorgeous rolling countryside to delightful Mondonedo where it looks like there are a few bus options with Arriva Galicia, including an early evening one that goes straight to the airport...

If you want a "feel" of what the walking is like, walk from Irun for a day or two ... I found Ribadesella to be one of the most beautiful places, but if you haven't been there, just about any stretch will be worth it.
As far a planning goes ... I think it's overrated ... Spain isn't a third world country ... it's easy to get around and the locals are exceptionally helpful.
On a Friday, having just arrived in Bustio, I decided to take an "intensive" Spanish class in Cadiz and managed to get there via bus and train by Saturday afternoon ... with very limited Spanish. Just go for it ... and have fun. The Camino really does provide.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Try Laredo, Portugalete, San Sebastián and Luarca. All accessible via Alsa. All beach communities

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back