• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 days and counting

Mormon

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Portuguese
I've spent the last four years planning our Camino (my husband and I) and now it's here. We fly into Paris on August 16 and spend the first night in Orisson on August 18. I just wanted to say hi; I look forward to sharing the Camino with whoever will be there with us.

Over the last four years, I've read every word in every post on this forum. I am grateful for the sharing of those with experience and the opinions and questions of novices. I've had all the debates in my head and have decided on light sleeping bag rather than a liner, walking shoes (Merrill Moab Ventilators) and sandals (Chacos), light-weight wool socks and polypro liners, a hiking skirt rather than pants, trekking poles rather than a walking stick, and not to bring coffee making supplies (it is a pilgrimage after all). I've walked hundreds of training miles, many with my pack. My bag (Gregory Deva 60) is packed and weighs 8.2kg.

I'm ready. And now I wait. This may be the hardest part!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Woohoo!
Not long now cobber. Best of luck!
Just one thing about weight.
I could have sworn I heard a lot of pilgrim ladies saying what a drag bringing a husband was.
If he's not essential, and many apparently are not, consider leaving him at home! :)
Regards and Buen Camino (to you both),
Gerard

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Welcome! I hope you both have a wonderful Camino and it is everything you hope for and everything you need.

Buen Camino!

The last few days of waiting are always the worst, when you get there and start the excitement will be overwhelming. Just remember to take it easy and go with the flow, your journey ahead is amazing.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I brought Chaco sandals as my back ups, and ended up walking almost all of the Camino in them. Good choice!
I've hiked many a mile in my Chacos. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being my primary hiking shoes as well.

I've hiked many a mile in my Chacos. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being my primary hiking shoes as well.

I noticed the picture of the authors on the last page of the Village to Village Guide to Hiking the Camino de Santiago (Anna Dintaman and David Landis) showed them wearing Chacos. I wrote and asked them about it, and they said they've walked three full Caminos and many other long walks in nothing but Chaco sandals.

I noticed the picture of the authors on the last page of the Village to Village Guide to Hiking the Camino de Santiago (Anna Dintaman and David Landis) showed them wearing Chacos. I wrote and asked them about it, and they said they've walked three full Caminos and many other long walks in nothing but Chaco sandals.

Have you worn them in the rain? I have been thinking they would be better in rain and mud than my walking shoes, would clean up easier and dry more quickly. Our Camino will be mid-August through September so it won't be that cold. I figure if it's cold in the rain I could just add socks. They're wool and will be warm even if wet. Anyway, that's my current theory. We'll see if reality measures up. Two days and counting!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have you worn them in the rain? I have been thinking they would be better in rain and mud than my walking shoes, would clean up easier and dry more quickly. Our Camino will be mid-August through September so it won't be that cold. I figure if it's cold in the rain I could just add socks. They're wool and will be warm even if wet. Anyway, that's my current theory. We'll see if reality measures up. Two days and counting!

Yes, I wore them in the rain. It wasn't that cold and it was definitely easier to clean up than socks and boots. Occasionally I added socks in the morning if it was cold.
I wore Chacos in the rain
Yes, I wore them all through Spain!
I'd wear chacos with a fox
I would wear them in a box.
(etc.)

You will find them used a lot in the wilderness areas here in the state as most canyons have multiple water crossings. The soles are thick & have good traction my wife hikes in them a lot. I don't care for them due to the strapping around the big toe. But they are a very good hiking sandal. My questions is the part of the Camino that has the tiny black gravel that is very sharp. My wife rarely gets rocks caught in them but that stuff is like rough glass.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You will find them used a lot in the wilderness areas here in the state as most canyons have multiple water crossings. The soles are thick & have good traction my wife hikes in them a lot. I don't care for them due to the strapping around the big toe. But they are a very good hiking sandal. My questions is the part of the Camino that has the tiny black gravel that is very sharp. My wife rarely gets rocks caught in them but that stuff is like rough glass.

My Chacos don't have a toe strap, either. Most people I see wearing them on the trail wear the ones without the toe strap. Re. the sharp pebbles... theoretically that should be a problem with hiking in sandals. As your wife found, it's rarely an issue. About once a kilometer I get a pebble in my sandal and it's easy to flip out.

My Chacos don't have a toe strap, either. Most people I see wearing them on the trail wear the ones without the toe strap. Re. the sharp pebbles... theoretically that should be a problem with hiking in sandals. As your wife found, it's rarely an issue. About once a kilometer I get a pebble in my sandal and it's easy to flip out.
Yes they are remarkable for the stones rarely staying, my theory is due to the thickness of the sole they are much better than average hiking sandals. I have tried my Keens, terrible for stone retention comfortable enough but my heels get so dried out they bleed. I wonder if socks & sandals combined will make that issue go away. The other thing with sandals my wife broke her foot in chacos not on any trail but simply walking our grandchildren to the park. I wonder how often people actually break a foot while walking. I think people break a foot in boots as well. But it's a crap shoot our bodies are all different,
For the Camino I would have to do my 20 mile test before I could trust any shoe.
I ramble on..

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.