• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 days-where to start??

dee_smurf

Hi, I am planning my camino mid may. Due to the amount of annual leave I can get, I am giving my self 10 days to walk to Santiago. I have searched the forum re: route planning but I am just confusing myself more!

I have an average fitness level, but plan to train over the next 6 months. I also would like to give an allowance of a couple of days in case I want to sight see or may get sick.

Where on the Camino de Frances could I start in order to fulfil my goal? (These 10 days do not include travel time to or from the camino...I am allocating the 10 days entirely to the camino).

Thank you :)
Dee

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola Dee,
Possibly O Cebreiro, gives you a little time at the end also.
Buen Camino
Colin

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'd say start in Molinaseca. You'll get 9 good days of walking in and experience the climb to O'Cebreiro, which is a good physical workout, and offers the most stunning Camino views in Galicia. Molinaseca is also very picturesque and has a real nice albergue. I'm jealous and I miss the Camino. Buen Camino.

It took us nine days to walk from Molinaseca to Santiago but we were trail fit at that stage and it would not give you any wiggle room if problems arose. If you really wanted to do the climb up to O'Cebreiro then Vega de Valcarse might be an optional starting point.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One possibility:
From Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela

Summary
Longest stage: Boente - Rúa: 26.2 km.
Shortest stage: Palas de Rei - Boente: 20.5 km.
Total distance: 211.4 km.
Stages: 9.
Average: 23.5 km per walking day.
Stage Partial (km) Cumulative (km) Lodging
1) Ponferrada - Villafranca del Bierzo 22.5 22.5 R, 2P, C, H
2) Villafranca del Bierzo - La Faba 23.7 46.2 R
3) La Faba - Triacastela 25.7 71.9 R, 5P, H
4) Triacastela - Sarria 24.7 96.6 2R, 8P, H
5) Sarria - Portomarín 22.5 119.1 R, 6P, H
6) Portomarín - Palas de Rei 24.8 143.9 2R, 2P, C, H
7) Palas de Rei - Boente 20.5 164.4 P
8) Boente - Rúa 26.2 190.6 H
9) Rúa - Santiago de Compostela 20.8 211.4 2R, 8P, C, H
Abbreviations
R: pilgrims public hostel.
P: pilgrims private hostel.
A: youth hostel.
C: campsite.
H: hotel, hostel, guesthouse...
FR: off-route.

One possibility:
From Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela

Summary
Longest stage: Boente - Rúa: 26.2 km.
Shortest stage: Palas de Rei - Boente: 20.5 km.
Total distance: 211.4 km.
Stages: 9.
Average: 23.5 km per walking day.
Stage Partial (km) Cumulative (km) Lodging
1) Ponferrada - Villafranca del Bierzo 22.5 22.5 R, 2P, C, H
2) Villafranca del Bierzo - La Faba 23.7 46.2 R
3) La Faba - Triacastela 25.7 71.9 R, 5P, H
4) Triacastela - Sarria 24.7 96.6 2R, 8P, H
5) Sarria - Portomarín 22.5 119.1 R, 6P, H
6) Portomarín - Palas de Rei 24.8 143.9 2R, 2P, C, H
7) Palas de Rei - Boente 20.5 164.4 P
8) Boente - Rúa 26.2 190.6 H
9) Rúa - Santiago de Compostela 20.8 211.4 2R, 8P, C, H
Abbreviations
R: pilgrims public hostel.
P: pilgrims private hostel.
A: youth hostel.
C: campsite.
H: hotel, hostel, guesthouse...
FR: off-route.

Hi falcon, thanks so much for your reply. But what do those numbers after each of the stops mean! This is where I was getting really confused!

Guys thanks so so much for your replies. I think I will leave Molinaseca out, as this is my first experience of a trip this kind I think I will need that 'wiggle room' for anything that may go wrong!
So it is down to Ponferrada, O Cebreiro and Vega de Valcarse! I have booked off the last two weeks of May so now I just need to pick a destination and book my flights :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
MMMm , If you live in Europe and you know you will be able to return again and some day to reach Santiago , start at SJPDP and on your way , spend 2 days in Pamplona. Just before reaching Logrono is one of my favourite towns Viana , also worth an extra day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola

I'm with Renshaw.
Start at Saint Jean. Ronchevalles, Pamplona, Burgos is a great way to begin a pilgrimage.
If you find that you want to come back, it is easier to find 20-some days to finish the walk.
Also. I dare say. To begin the journey with strangers, sharing the experience, can be more rewarding than sharing the finish of the journey. It was for me.
But, of course, we all have our own experiences.
Either way.

Buen Camino,
Lettinggo

Depending on how fast you walk and how long days you want.
This is how I spent my last 10 days:

14 Mansilla de las Mulas-La Virgen de las Camino 27.1

15 La Virgen de las Camino-Villares de Órbigo 30.8 via Villar de Mazarife

16 Villares de Órbigo-Foncebadón 41.3

17 Foncebadón-Compostilla 30.7

18 Compostilla-La Faba 45.9 via the route over Pradela

19 La Faba-Samos 36.2

20 Samos-Vilachá 34.5

21 Vilachá-Melide 42.3

22 Melide-Vilamaior 44.0

23 Vilamaior-Santiago de Compostela 9.0

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back