• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 days without sleeping bag or liner?

L B

Time of past OR future Camino
the french way
So unexpectedly I now have 10 spare days between my Europe travels at the beginning of September. I travel only with hand luggage (aka the trusty 40L hiking backpack) and I absolutely do not have space for a sleeping bag or liner which I would have no use for outside of the camino; however, the camino is calling. I don't worry about having a barrier between me and the bed as usually hostels offer those white disposable sheets.
Would it be a bad idea to go anyway, walk without these things and count on the albergues having blankets?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello @L B, not all albergues have blankets. But in the hot weather that you might encounter in September a blanket would be too hot. Just my personal opinion but would advise having something between you and the bed. A silk liner (isn't expensive) takes up about the same space as two pocket-size packs of tissues and the weight is negligible. Buen Camino

This is exactly why I carry a lightweight sleeping bag in my (32 litre) backpack, so I don’t have to use the albergue blankets. I don’t know how often they have been used on beds with no sheet between the blanket and the occupier of the bed. Get a cheap liner from a camping store.
Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Agree with above. My husband used a sea to summit bag liner which is about the size of tennis ball when packed away. I used an old army poncho liner pinned together with safety pins which all packed away in a small stuff sack. Both were lightweight. I don't think in Sept. you will need a sleeping bag, but the yuck factor of sleeping on those scratchy disposable sheets or worse yet my skin being touched by those blankets (who knows when they have been washed or cleaned) is enough for me to want at least a liner of some kind.

Hi L B -
Not all the albergues have the white disposable sheets and pillows slips. I encountered only two on my just-completed short camino between Pamplona and Burgos. I concur with the responders so far - get yourself a cheap liner. You can just stuff the liner into your pack - it’ll fill those small air pockets and the small weight is well worth the convenience. Some of the fitted sheets covering the rubber mattresses at a couple of the albergues I stayed at hadn’t seen the inside of a washing machine for a while and were on the greasy and manky side - not the kind of surface that induces sweet dreams!
Buen Camino - take joy in every step.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Most albergues require you to have linens.

I am sure you are quite correct about this, but I have never ever been asked to show a sheet or sleeping bag when checking in; unlike the old UK Youth Hostels: if you couldn’t produce a sheet bag from you backpack, you were obliged to hire one before they checked you in.
Jill

And also out of consideration for those after you... please use a liner. Mine is silk, so small the biggest risk i’ll lose it on the way!

Welcome @L B. If you have a 40L pack yet no room for a sleeping liner, you might want to shed some weight before you start on the Camino. You can send a box ahead to the Correos post office in Santiago, or Ivar here at this Forum: http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/index.html.

And like others, I'd recommend having a barrier between you and the albergue mattresses/ albergue sheets. A hospitalera was telling us recently that the two albergues she served at didn't have a policy of cleaning sheets daily. One had their hospitaleros wash sheets every four days, and one had their hospitaleros use a ruler to scrape off the sheets between washings. Apparently they expect pilgrims to be carrying their own liners and sleeping bags and not to sleep directly on the beds.

Enjoy your time. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello @L B, not all albergues have blankets. But in the hot weather that you might encounter in September a blanket would be too hot. Just my personal opinion but would advise having something between you and the bed. A silk liner (isn't expensive) takes up about the same space as two pocket-size packs of tissues and the weight is negligible. Buen Camino
I agree!!

See if you can buy an inexpensive fleece sleeping bag liner from any sports store. Decathlon, for example.

I've never been asked whether or not I had a liner or bag when checking in, but I have seen hospitaleros check the beds in the dorms and take issue with those who havent put anything down to sleep on.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dear LB

As mentioned before, most albergues will request you to have your own 'barrier' to the mattress. Silk liners are extremely thin and light and may solve the issue. Mine are from Treksilk and look like the orange one from here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FA58VXW/?tag=casaivar02-20 . They also have smaller, cheaper options.

Another option, if you have the budget, is to stay in inns - you won't have to add anything to your pack and will probably have some little comforts (i.e. shampoo and soap, breakfast.).

I have used a silk sleeping bag liner which folds up into it's own pouch about the size of a fist and weight is negligable. It is warm enough during summer and most of Autumn.

If you look around you can find liners that have a built in pillowslip - turn the pillowslip inside out so the pillow is outside the liner and you have a nice clean cover to rest your head on.

If I can find mine I'll post a photo.

€83,-
Welcome @L B. If you have a 40L pack yet no room for a sleeping liner, you might want to shed some weight before you start on the Camino. You can send a box ahead to the Correos post office in Santiago, or Ivar here at this Forum: http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/index.html.

And like others, I'd recommend having a barrier between you and the albergue mattresses/ albergue sheets. A hospitalera was telling us recently that the two albergues she served at didn't have a policy of cleaning sheets daily. One had their hospitaleros wash sheets every four days, and one had their hospitaleros use a ruler to scrape off the sheets between washings. Apparently they expect pilgrims to be carrying their own liners and sleeping bags and not to sleep directly on the beds.

Enjoy your time. Buen Camino!

You indicated 10 days to walk. Where to where? You may not be going to Santiago. So sending to Ivan may not be an option. Correos.es (post office in spain) allows you to send a bag ahead to many towns. You can pick it up from 3 days to two weeks at no extra charge.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.