• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 extra days after reaching Santiago: where next

Maple Leaf Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
2017, 2018, 2019, 2023
I’m doing my third Camino this summer. This time, it’s the CP from Porto to Santiago.

At my pace, I expect to have up to 10 extra days to use up after reaching Santiago. So I’m weighing my options on what to do next.

Two choices so far: walk on to Muxia (I bussed it to Finisterre before) and back to Santiago. Or do a reverse Camino from Santiago back to Porto. That would give me the chance to do both the coastal and interior routes.

Thoughts on this? Other options?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m doing my third Camino this summer. This time, it’s the CP from Porto to Santiago.

At my pace, I expect to have up to 10 extra days to use up after reaching Santiago. So I’m weighing my options on what to do next.

Two choices so far: walk on to Muxia (I bussed it to Finisterre before) and back to Santiago. Or do a reverse Camino from Santiago back to Porto. That would give me the chance to do both the coastal and interior routes.

Thoughts on this? Other options?
If you walk to Muxia you should then walk to Finisterre and back to Santiago from there. That should take at least 7 days. More if you split the walk between Muxia and Finisterre by stopping at Lires. Or you could spend a couple of nights in Muxia or Finisterre.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm in the same position as you are and so have walked to Finisterre, Muxia, Dumbria and will go back to Santiago tomorrow by bus and head to the Camino Ingles - probably from A Coruna as I don't think I have quite enough time for Ferrol.
Megg

Just a heads up.

Those of you who walk the camino to Finisterre and Muxia and end in Santiago are eligible for a compostella from the pilgrims office. As both Finisterre - Muxia - Santiago and Muxia - Finisterre - Santiago are over 100km.

Davey

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you haven't walked to Finisterre before, I would do that and Muxia as finishing at the sea is a great way to end Camino and relax for a few days, before flying home. If you walked there before, you could get bus from Santiago to Ferrol (or La Coruna) and walk the Camino Ingles back to Santiago. Did that last year and it was lovely - see my pictures loaded on this forum media section over last few days.

Train Santiago to Leon, walk the San Salvador to Oviedo. Bus from Oviedo back to Santiago. Easy. The Salvador is magnificent, my favourite. You get to see beautiful Oviedo, plus, if you still have time you can do a short bus journey from Oviedo to Gijon in a day, another lovely city by the coast. Asturias beats rainy Galicia hands down in my opinion.

Or, if you like hot springs, half hour train Santiago to Ourense, have a day or two in beautiful Ourense, lie in amazing pools and then walk back to Santiago on another Camino.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back