• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 great European pilgrimages, the Telegraph

caminobrit

A few of the main Caminos to Santiago are listed here. Surprised no norte, primativio or portuguese listed here. The last one St Winefride well, while people do walk here i dont think its sign posted and its more or less the start of the pilgrims way to the spectacular Bardsey Island (20,000 saints buried on this island) which could of been mentioned as well as St Winefride.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/lists/europe-best-pilgrimages/

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The book looks fantastic

If the author's aim was to explore and depict 10 different European pilgrimage routes then I think it is not surprising that he did not include the Portugues, Primitivo and Norte - to do so would not have left much scope for less well-known routes. In this forum we can sometimes develop tunnel vision and forget there are pilgrimages in countries other than Spain! In any case the author has already published a book dedicated to the Caminos some years ago.

The North Wales Pilgrim Way from Holywell to Bardsey is waymarked - though not very thoroughly or consistently. Certainly nothing like the yellow arrows that make the Caminos so straightforward. Walking in the reverse direction towards Holywell is more complicated and it is easier to simply take the main villages along the route as a guide and choose the most convenient paths from point to point from the OS maps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A few of the main Caminos to Santiago are listed here. Surprised no norte, primativio or portuguese listed here. The last one St Winefride well, while people do walk here i dont think its sign posted and its more or less the start of the pilgrims way to the spectacular Bardsey Island (20,000 saints buried on this island) which could of been mentioned as well as St Winefride.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/lists/europe-best-pilgrimages/

Well, no surprise to me that the Portuguese route is not listed on “10 of the greats”. I am just a couple days away from reaching Santiago.... having walked the PC since my starting point of Lisbon and must confess.... I was/am the very least impressed. Shocked actually that Brierly would consider this his favorite!!? I guess it’s true as they say.... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I still hold the Frances Camino (which I walked this summer) the route that holds the prize for beauty, great albergues, special commorodity & unsurpassed uniqueness.

Well, no surprise to me that the Portuguese route is not listed on “10 of the greats”. I am just a couple days away from reaching Santiago.... having walked the PC since my starting point of Lisbon and must confess.... I was/am the very least impressed. Shocked actually that Brierly would consider this his favorite!!? I guess it’s true as they say.... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I still hold the Frances Camino (which I walked this summer) the route that holds the prize for beauty, great albergues, special commorodity & unsurpassed uniqueness.
One problem with the Camino Frances is that it seems to be a victim of its own popularity in that it's very overcrowded.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One problem with the Camino Frances is that it seems to be a victim of its own popularity in that it's very overcrowded.

Yes, perhaps so. But if you go early spring or late fall, I think the mega crowds of FC can be somewhat avoided. As for myself (traveling solo) I really enjoyed the commoradity of the French route. And whenever I needed time alone I could simply veer off to be by myself. Whereas, here on the Portuguese, I feel like I mingle so much with the general public as well as the tourists that I very much lost the sense of the Camino Spirit which I came to grow & love. I met so few Pilgrims!! So personally for me... the beauty of both the French route & the Pilgrim Spirit it was just a win-win.

Wishing you the best.

It is great to know that there are many pilgrimage routes in Europe. I believe two of the reasons for the popularity of El Camino de Santiago is the affordability, especially the lodging, and the supporting infrastructure already in place. For most people the cost of lodging is a large portion of their travel budget, if not the largest, especially in a lengthy trip.
I wonder how many of these 'great' European pilgrimages have comparable characteristics.

Sorry you have not enjoyed the Portugese Camino Lisa. I did it a month back and enjoyed both the solitude and meeting and walking with the people i did. Mine was an emotional Camino as i got to walk with Ana for the last bit (who was attacked the first day outside Lisbon). I like the Portuguese, the people are the most friendly, its cheaper than Spain and there are some hidden gems and decent alburgues along the way. I agree though if its camaraderie you want then Frances will always be the best. There are also options on the Frances to go off guide book stages for a quiter experience but still experience the Camino vibe that the Portuguese may not have as much. I hope your Camino improves as you approach Santiago.
Im not sure if fellow forum member fatty walker will agree St.Francis Way being on the list, the way he was treated recently, not being able to get a passport, not being allowed in the pilgrims office (in a cathedral) with a back pack, rude tourist information staff, this is not set up to encourage people to walk from Florence to Rome.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
this is not set up to encourage people to walk from Florence to Rome
I just have to make a comment here I'm afraid. I haven't walked from Florence, but have done so from Davadola and I have to say that the Cammino di Assisi is very welcoming and has pretty good infrastructure, both signage and accomodation. I was issued with my credential at the Priest's house in Davadola, stayed in his house in a dormitory on the top floor, and the first night out stayed in Sylvia's house. Here she provided me with a comfy bed in a dormitory, a wonderful dinner and a hearty breakfast to send us on our way. the route was well way marked and mostly had plenty of albergues (though not as many as on the Camino Frances). Granted, I didn't take the route from Forence to La Verna, but loved the route from Davadola to Rome.
I wonder how many of these 'great' European pilgrimages have comparable characteristics.
Having walked many other Caminos I have, as a general rule, found plenty of albergues, or cheap hotels / Pensions. The Via Francigena has some delightful pilgrim accommodation, a little more expensive because some are in monasteries and the "Donativo rate" was often set, and seemed to be the same as a private albergue on the Camino Frances. The parts of the Camino I have walked on in Germany (generally called Jakobsweg) often had a little albergue attached to the church, even sleeping on the church floor at one place. The same applies on the Camino as it moves through Holland & Belgium. The French Chemins are a delight - well signposted, and particularly on the Vezelay route, with delightful small, cheap albergues. The people of the village are often the ones responsible for providing and maintaining these delightful refuges for weary pilgrims. The cost of meals is sometimes higher in France and Germany, though on the pilgrimage routes I have covered in Italy I have always eaten fairly cheaply. Following the UK routes though can be more expensive. When on St Cuthbert's Way (and St Oswald's Way) I had to depend entirely on hotel accommodation - but it is worth every penny! The advantage, for me, was that I could understand, and make myself understood, anyone who spoke to me.

I haven't been fortunate enough to be able to walk St Olav's Way, though it is on my "to do" list. Hopefully in March next Year I will be off to walk the Via Romea Germanica (from Stade, near Hamburg in Germany, to Rome.). Do consider some of these other routes - they offer peace and quiet, gorgeous scenery, and adventure. Janet

If the author's aim was to explore and depict 10 different European pilgrimage routes then I think it is not surprising that he did not include the Portugues, Primitivo and Norte - to do so would not have left much scope for less well-known routes. In this forum we can sometimes develop tunnel vision and forget there are pilgrimages in countries other than Spain! In any case the author has already published a book dedicated to the Caminos some years ago.

The North Wales Pilgrim Way from Holywell to Bardsey is waymarked - though not very thoroughly or consistently. Certainly nothing like the yellow arrows that make the Caminos so straightforward. Walking in the reverse direction towards Holywell is more complicated and it is easier to simply take the main villages along the route as a guide and choose the most convenient paths from point to point from the OS maps.
Yes, I agree with you, the North Wales Pilgrims Way is waymarked. We know this as we walked it recently; however, there are parts of it that are navigationally not so easy through fields etc. It is an effort to navigate at times and an OS Map and a compass can be important. There is quite a lot of support from local residents for this Pilgrimage route which is being promoted at present with a new Guide book coming out in the Spring. We met one resident in a village who said he had recently walked it updating the waymarks. We often noticed small stickers on gateposts which looked fairly recent and were very helpful. There is a good website with lots of information about it which we found very helpful. http://www.pilgrims-way-north-wales.org/

But The Frances was your first Lisa
Please before i get too old and move on can you walk Le Puy [ scenery but expensive] or Primitivo [ just plan right beautiful] and give me an update
Norte also beats Portuguese hands down ,

In 08 we saw 6 young pilgrims give Brierly away in Burgos , they had had enough.
And in those days there was no reservations.
They just went to a Touristo and got the next 5 days walking from the local experts.
Many places they stayed were not in Brierly but in MMDD

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the link to this new book by Derry Brabbs. I enjoyed his other book "The Roads to Santiago" which describes the 4 main routes through France as well as the CF. It looks like the ideal gift for a restless pilgrim between trips.

But The Frances was your first Lisa
Please before i get too old and move on can you walk Le Puy [ scenery but expensive] or Primitivo [ just plan right beautiful] and give me an update
Norte also beats Portuguese hands down ,

In 08 we saw 6 young pilgrims give Brierly away in Burgos , they had had enough.
And in those days there was no reservations.
They just went to a Touristo and got the next 5 days walking from the local experts.
Many places they stayed were not in Brierly but in MMDD
What is MMDD? I am new here so not familiar with the acronym. Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What is MMDD? I am new here so not familiar with the acronym. Thanks.

Miam Miam Do Do
In French , very easy to read
Means eat and sleep , has details on each property in town / village
How many rooms , how many to each room , prices per single/double/triple.

Thank you for sharing.

I agree with others that part of the greatness of the Camino is that it is well marked, lots of guide books, and there are lots of inexpensive accommodations for "pilgrims." Not many other historic routes have that.

This past summer, I biked from the Cathedral in Bristol, to the Abbey in Bath, the stone circle in Avebury, to chapels in Oxford & Cambridge, to the Cathedrals of Ely, Norwich, Rochester & Canterbury. Most of the accommodations were at inexpensive tourist motels and a few B&B's. Much more expensive than the Camino. Even with the British National bikeway signs, the routes were poorly marked compared to the Camino. But most of all no "connection to others" (beside a curious--and stunned when they find out-- church representative who asks why you are visiting) as there aren't "pilgrims" or even tourists doing taking the same route you are.

Those are some of the reasons that I feel the Camino is a superior experience.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bought the book; it is absolutely beautiful. It will be this year's Christmas present for all of my Camino loving friends as well as my family members who love to travel or love history (or love history, travel, and the Camino). Thank you again for posting!

I bought myself this book as a Christmas present for myself . The layout , photos and text are wonderful !

Attachments

• E169B2DD-1AEF-4F63-AC68-72E167C77C57.jpeg
    E169B2DD-1AEF-4F63-AC68-72E167C77C57.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • D8FA8BF8-0BEE-4CA6-ADF4-4F857F981F0E.jpeg
    D8FA8BF8-0BEE-4CA6-ADF4-4F857F981F0E.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back