• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD 10 Oct TRAVEL UPDATE Return from France to USA

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iriebabel

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Happy to report no issues traveling on Air France from Paris to Atlanta

Here is an update on procedures I followed and saw in the last 3 days. I flew back last night 10 October 2021 so thought a good idea to report here. Please let me know if you have questions

1. I went to a local Laboratory 3 days before my flight. no appointment needed in this lab and results in 24hrs for pick up or via email obtained a PCR TEST (49 euros my choice) ā€¦you can get antigen at 48 hrs for 29 euros . Tests are available in CDG Paris airport or visit https://www.sante.fr/cf/centres-depistage-covid.html for available test locations . In my experience laboratory works faster than the pharmacy as it is onsite testing.

NEGATIVE Covid test is required for USA. It was checked when checking in / baggage drop and again at the gate by the security agent ā€”- I used a electronic copy ( in French) and on arrival in Atlanta announcements were made that it may be checked randomly upon entry. It was checked by Public Health personnel for a random sample of people as we deplaned (before we left the jetway to enter the bldg for customs.

2. USA Attestation form was MANDATORY (vaccinated or not) taken at gate during security check prior to boarding as they check and scan your ticket and check your passport for all passengers as told and done by gate agent . Print the form from the airline link or print from copy attached to this email

3. Passport check And Mandatory Mask on board airplane suggested change of mask often with gentle reminders given.

4.They DID NOT check my pass sanitaire or CDC card they were only interested in the negative covid test

5. Once thru customs/immigration Atlanta. (Passport check) they did not ask for it again

6. I picked up my luggage was asked if i was carrying any fruits or food (i was not in my checked bagā€”aside from duty free hand carried) they let me go) I returned my back to the check in for my connecting flight.

7. IMPORTANT: In Atlanta I had to go back thru security a second timeā€¦take everything off have my hand carried bag checked again
VERY IMPORTANT. GENTLE WARNING: If you purchase items in in duty free and they are in a sealed bag they may still get confiscated !!!!! Yes you read that right. I bought some lotionā€¦.they took it! Even though it was in a sealed duty free secured container he opened it and took it ā€¦stating he could not see inside the container however he left another package of the same brand (different scent) both meant as a present for a family member) in the same package ???? I dont understand it but I complied and lost 60 euros. So a warning to all travelers just because it is duty free and sealedā€¦ if it is liquid it does not mean they will not confiscate it ā€¦.

MISC info: I forgot to add I have asthma and I am immune compromised and have knee/foot and other other injuries. Comfort and space was a concern for me so I chose Business class with the individual pods. Personally the ā€œBESTā€ decision i could have made on this long flight ā€¦or at the very least i would have chosen ā€œpriorityā€ with extended room. I was happy to pay extra and did not have anyone sitting next to me. I did not feel crowded and I felt safe in terms of being in a confined space of an airplane for long light travel. I changed my mask after eating and I was close to the bathroom which had limited number of passenger use.

For me this choice was perfect for my opinion when traveling long distance my advise is choose options based on what is best and comfortable for your needs, budget and piece of mind.

8. Side note: I am 54 take my vitamins everyday fully vaccinated and was very careful, with washing hands, masking, hand sanitizing , crowds etcā€¦. no COVID issues in France. Now back in USA my doctor scheduled me for the 3rd shot Pfizer booster next week. Will let you all know how that goes. With severe allergies I had a slight reaction to the previous injections (normal for me on any vaccine) so I must sit for additional observation And am required to take it it a hospital setting. But all is well and I had a wonderful time on and off the GR34 Sentier Littoral in France ā€¦

now about that pesky 3rd sever plantar faciiatis /heel spur foot surgery. Seeing the surgeon in the next couple weeks for new schedule wish me luck !

Hope this helps, good health and safe travels to everyone and a Buen Camino !

Attachments

• Copy of Fillable-Attestation-English-508.pdf
    113.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-

Here is an update on procedures I followed and saw in the last 3 days. I flew back last night 10 October 2021 so thought a good idea to report here. Please let me know if you have questions

1. I went to a local Laboratory 3 days before my flight. no appointment needed in this lab and results in 24hrs for pick up or via email obtained a PCR TEST (49 euros my choice) ā€¦you can get antigen at 48 hrs for 29 euros . Tests are available in CDG Paris airport or visit https://www.sante.fr/cf/centres-depistage-covid.html for available test locations . In my experience laboratory works faster than the pharmacy as it is onsite testing.

NEGATIVE Covid test is required for USA. It was checked when checking in / baggage drop and again at the gate by the security agent ā€”- I used a electronic copy ( in French) and on arrival in Atlanta announcements were made that it may be checked randomly upon entry. It was checked by Public Health personnel for a random sample of people as we deplaned (before we left the jetway to enter the bldg for customs.

2. USA Attestation form was MANDATORY (vaccinated or not) taken at gate during security check prior to boarding as they check and scan your ticket and check your passport for all passengers as told and done by gate agent . Print the form from the airline link or print from copy attached to this email

3. Passport check And Mandatory Mask on board airplane suggested change of mask often with gentle reminders given.

4.They DID NOT check my pass sanitaire or CDC card they were only interested in the negative covid test

5. Once thru customs. (Passport check) they did not ask for it again

6. I picked up my luggage was asked if i was carrying any fruits or food (i was not in my checked bagā€”aside from duty free hand carried) they let me go) I returned my back to the check in for my connecting flight.

7. IMPORTANT: I had to go back thru security a second timeā€¦take everything off have my hand carried bag checked again
VERY IMPORTANT. GENTLE WARNING: If you purchase items in in duty free and they are in a sealed bag they may still get confiscated !!!!! Yes you read that right. I bought some lotionā€¦.they took it! Even though it was in a sealed duty free secured container he opened it and took it ā€¦stating he could not see inside the container however he left another package of the same brand (different scent) both meant as a present for a family member) in the same package ???? I dont understand it but I complied and lost 60 euros. So a warning to all travelers just because it is duty free and sealedā€¦ if it is liquid it does not mean they will not confiscate it ā€¦.

MISC info: I forgot to add I have asthma and I am immune compromised and have knee/foot and other other injuries. Comfort and space was a concern for me so I chose Business class with the individual pods. Personally the ā€œBESTā€ decision i could have made on this long flight ā€¦or at the very least i would have chosen ā€œpriorityā€ with extended room. I was happy to pay extra and did not have anyone sitting next to me. I did not feel crowded and I felt safe in terms of being in a confined space of an airplane for long light travel. I changed my mask after eating and I was close to the bathroom which had limited number of passenger use.

For me this choice was perfect for my opinion when traveling long distance my advise is choose options based on what is best and comfortable for your needs, budget and piece of mind.

8. Side note: I am 54 take my vitamins everyday fully vaccinated and was very careful, with washing hands, masking, hand sanitizing , crowds etcā€¦. no COVID issues in France. Now back in USA my doctor scheduled me for the 3rd shot Pfizer booster next week. Will let you all know how that goes. With severe allergies I had a slight reaction to the previous injections (normal for me on any vaccine) so I must sit for additional observation And am required to take it it a hospital setting. But all is well and I had a wonderful time on and off the GR34 Sentier Littoral in France ā€¦

now about that pesky 3rd sever plantar faciiatis /heel spur foot surgery. Seeing the surgeon in the next couple weeks for new schedule wish me luck !

Thanks. I have the electronic attestation form but no way to print it- surely there must be copies to fill out at the airports?

Thanks. I have the electronic attestation form but no way to print it- surely there must be copies to fill out at the airports?
Yes the gate agent had some blank copies available at the boarding gate. I already had a filled out copy just in case (I thought I had read on the US state dept site that it was not needed for fully vaccinated passengers) but I was happy I am a natural skeptical person and decided to fill it out and bring it with me šŸ˜œ ā€¦by the way if you-are staying in a hotel/hostel/gite etcā€¦ they may be able to print it for you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

5. Once thru customs/immigration Atlanta. (Passport check) they did not ask for it again

7. IMPORTANT: In Atlanta I had to go back thru security a second timeā€¦take everything off have my hand carried bag checked again

Excellent information. I feel a little challenged about getting the needed negative test. I will be returning to Spain in 2022 but have not built in extra time to get a test. I certainly don't have 3 days and will be moving around each day prior to departure. My last three days in Europe: Portugal, Portugal to Madird, Madrid home. Where do I get the test? Portugal?

Excellent information. I feel a little challenged about getting the needed negative test. I will be returning to Spain in 2022 but have not built in extra time to get a test. I certainly don't have 3 days and will be moving around each day prior to departure. My last three days in Europe: Portugal, Portugal to Madird, Madrid home. Where do I get the test? Portugal?
I was in France so I cannot advise for Portugal ..there are a few threads here with Portuguese COVID info and I am sure some other members may chime in ā€¦i will try to locate some and update this post.
as to the actual test for USA you can do an antigen test (results usuallly in 15 min). in the airport check the Madrid airport .. let me see what i can find
In upper right search bar - type Madrid airport (or Portugal ) covid testing several threads will pop up hope this helps :
here is one https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/covid-test-at-madrid-airport.70894/

another: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/covid-testing-at-madrid-airport.70961/

I also just rememberd on the US state department website there is a link to testing sites in every country. But also if you go to the Portuguese govt website Iā€™m sure they will also have a link to places where you can get tested ā€¦usually address/phone numbers are provided as most places require appointments and a testing fee the link : https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...es/COVID-19-Country-Specific-Information.html

Last edited:
One very important thing if you are female or any gender if your name on your passport does not match your name at birth. At the center in Paris where we got our pcr tests they ask for name at birth as well as passport name. They also entered passport number. However the final certificate shows only the birth name, not the passport name and does not show the passport number. In my wife's case that meant that nothing on the pcr certificate matched her passport. We went into the airport CDG a day early to see if they would accept it. They would not, but sent us to the pharmacy in cdc 2e. The pharmacy did a rapid antigen test using only the passport information and we had an acceptable certificate about 15 minutes later.

Summary if female use only passport name on test form.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
One very important thing if you are female or any gender if your name on your passport does not match your name at birth. At the center in Paris where we got our pcr tests they ask for name at birth as well as passport name. They also entered passport number. However the final certificate shows only the birth name, not the passport name and does not show the passport number. In my wife's case that meant that nothing on the pcr certificate matched her passport. We went into the airport CDG a day early to see if they would accept it. They would not, but sent us to the pharmacy in cdc 2e. The pharmacy did a rapid antigen test using only the passport information and we had an acceptable certificate about 15 minutes later.

Summary if female use only passport name on test form.
Very useful info.

Great summary!!
Iā€™m also doing business class to and from Paris. Iā€™m not concerned with COVID, I just want the comfort and my husband is 6ā€™6ā€. šŸ˜‚

Great summary!!
Iā€™m also doing business class to and from Paris. Iā€™m not concerned with COVID, I just want the comfort and my husband is 6ā€™6ā€. šŸ˜‚
Rest assured its like anything else in life..plan a little and we can rest a little easier. Business class was awesome Donā€™t think I would ever go back to economy on international flightsā€¦ I will sacrifice in other ways if need be to make up the cost difference šŸ˜but those individual pods and being able to stretch out was well worth it! Been doing first class for a few years but never had the fully reclined pods. Yeah absolutely lots of room he will not feel cramped!

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
2022 is a million years from now in COVID terms and who knows what the regulations will be. Donā€™t worry about it now and certainly donā€™t make plans since it will all likely change in the coming months. My only advice: check one month prior to your flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back