• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 Quick Questions from a Camino novice

IrishDave

:wink:

I know most of the answers for these questions are spread across these forums and many many websites- but a few quick answers from camino veterans would be great :D Some of the questions are small, others important- you decide which you think the most important!

Also- you don't have to answer them all! :mrgreen:

I am planning to walk the Camino Frances from late September until late October. Looking forward to it!

1. Flying into Biarritz, midweek, arriving at the airport around 6pm. What is the best way to get to St Jean Pied de PORT. Will I be arriving to late that evening to get an albergue? Would i be better staying a night in Biarritz?

2. Getting home to Ireland. Was thinking of flying from Santander- which means a long bus journey from Santiago. Has anyone done that- or is there a quicker and better way back to Dublin?

3. Do people bring walking sticks with them? Or do you pick up one along the way! :D

4. Looking into trousers- was thinking light combats, have the added benifit of having many pockets. Is that a good idea?

5. If people bring their mobile phones and ipod (I know that is controversial! :mrgreen: ) How do they charge them? In the albergues?

6. Do you get a bottle of wine with every "pilgrims meal"! :shock: Does that not make walking harder :D

7. What time do people walk until? When they arrive at an albergue, is it safe to leave your bag in it, and go exploring the local village during the day?

8. Do people bring much cash with them, or just use the Bank ATM's in the major cities?

9. I know books are heavy, but is it not a good idea to bring one? What books do people recomend for the camino?

10. If people could just give one piece of advice for a first timer- what would they say? :D

I'll probably have a few more questions in the next few weeks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi there! I'll just respond to some of your questions and leave the rest to others:

2. Getting home to Ireland. Was thinking of flying from Santander- which means a long bus journey from Santiago. Has anyone done that- or is there a quicker and better way back to Dublin?

I'm sure you can fly out of Santiago to Dublin. My advice is to check now, not later, as the prices rise dramatically as you get closer to your departure date. Try Ryan Air. There are a couple of others. The bus rides may be long to Santander, but you probably would enjoy it, on the other hand. The buses in Spain are VERY nice with large viewing windows and comfortable seats. Your pack gets stored underneath in a cargo hold where it is safe. I bussed a lot in Spain and it was always a good experience. Joe and I bussed from Santiago all the way down to Sevilla... a beautiful ride!

3. Do people bring walking sticks with them? Or do you pick up one along the way! :D

Some bring them. But if you aren't particular you can pick up lovely sticks along the way, including in SJPDP. The sticks are attractive, functional, and sturdy as heck. Plus you don't have to worry about them being stolen because if they are it will only cost you a couple of euro to replace them. I've walked both ways, with trekking poles and with a Spanish stick and both worked equally well.

4. Looking into trousers- was thinking light combats, have the added benifit of having many pockets. Is that a good idea?

You will want something that dries quickly and packs lightweight. What I see being very popular are those lightweight pants with the zip-off legs. They have lots of pockets plus they can double as shorts. Combats are generally made of cotton aren't they? Cotton will take long to dry in damp weather.

6. Do you get a bottle of wine with every "pilgrims meal"! :shock: Does that not make walking harder :D

Hahaha! Well... I think the answer may be "sometimes"... I seem to recall either being offered a bottle or a glass of wine with each meal. Usually people have their pilgrim's meal with dinner, so the wine helps you sleep. :D What I encourage you to try is a "cerveza con limon" which is beer with lemon soda in equal amounts. It is absolutely the most refreshing drink I've had ever, after walking a hot dusty stretch it gave me the strength to continue. Unfortunately, it's not the same here in Portland... nobody's heard of it!

7. What time do people walk until? When they arrive at an albergue, is it safe to leave your bag in it, and go exploring the local village during the day?

Every pilgrim is on their own schedule. But I'd say most people walk an average of 6 hours. MOST are at their destination by 2 or 3 pm, leaving time for a shower, clotheswashing, then either a nap or a few hours of exploring. It is perfectly safe to leave your backpack in your room. However, I'd strongly suggest you do not leave any valuables you are not willing to lose in the room. I'd say 98% of pilgrims are honest, but there's always that one.... or a hungry local who manages to skinny his way into the alburgue and browse.

And ALWAYS carry your cash, ATM or credit cards, and passport ON YOU. Those money belts you buy in travel stores are a good purchase. Do not get the ones that go around the neck. They're easy to cut and run. They are also quite uncomfortable in my opinion.

8. Do people bring much cash with them, or just use the Bank ATM's in the major cities?

I did both. I tried to carry no more than 300 Euro cash at a time. The little markets and restaurants along the way in the tiny villages will often only take cash, so you cannot depend on a card like you do here in the States.

There are plenty of ATMs along the way, in the larger villages. One caution: plan your ATM withdrawals on banking days, not on the weekends. I have seen people have their card nabbed by the machine on a weekend, then have to stick around until Monday to get it back.

Also... CALL YOUR BANK and let them know when you are leaving, what countries you will be in, and when you will return. Otherwise, your card will be taken or refused early. They will think it has been stolen. That frustration can be fixed by a simple phone call ahead of time to your bank, informing them.

9. I know books are heavy, but is it not a good idea to bring one? What books do people recomend for the camino?

My favorite is Brierley's book. It became our Bible on the first Camino. Using it, we walked "between stages" to avoid the crowds. His book has nice maps, fairly accurate mileage information, and a lot of great history/art type of info. He also is pretty up to date on the alburgues that are open, although you can never depend 100% on that.

But don't worry, you could walk without a book at all, if you wa :lol: nted. The way is well-marked, and the locals are very helpful.

10. If people could just give one piece of advice for a first timer- what would they say? :D

I actually have more than one.. sorry :lol:

1. GOOD SHOES. Be sure you find shoes with a healthy toe box so your toes can spread to avoid blisters. Make sure your shoes are 1 size larger than you generally wear (wear socks and liner to make up the space).

2. PACK LIGHT!!! If you look at an object and wonder, "Will I really need that?" then TAKE IT OUT. Carry no more than 10% of your body weight. Anything else you need, you can buy along the way.

3. LEARN SOME SPANISH. The locals will really appreciate any effort you make and you'll find the trip much more enjoyable.

4. DON"T WORRY... JUST GO! Don't agonize too much about all of this... just go... it'll be fine. You'll learn along the way. By the second week, you'll be an expert with your own opinions.

BUEN CAMINO!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Anniesantiago said:
4. DON"T WORRY... JUST GO! Don't agonize too much about all of this... just go... it'll be fine. You'll learn along the way. By the second week, you'll be an expert with your own opinions.

BUEN CAMINO![/color]

This was the best piece of advice in your well written answer.

Hi Dave

We took an overnight bus from Compostela to Santander in October last year. The journey was long and the bus was comfortable enough, but the road was winding so I was unable to get much sleep on the trip. The bus arrived in Santander at 3.30 AM, and the bus station shut at 3.45 am, so we spent the next 2 hours sitting on a bench seat outside the station until it re-opened. We then caught a shuttle to the airport for our flight to Dublin. We were both sorry we did not spend a bit more and get flights from Compostela to Stanstead and then to Dublin.

Buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Since Annie gave you such excellent detailed answers, I would just like to add that I agree with Alan about making sure you take some time to plan your trip home in a manner that is somewhat dignified.

I did not do this on my first camino, and the few days it took me to get to Madrid were grueling. It is already anticlimactic because everything is focused on Santiago for the entire journey, and reaching the cathedral is certainly a high point of the trip. Leaving from Santiago and going directly to Dublin will save you from that feeling of being in limbo for any length of time.

On my second camino, I carefully planned my exit and spent a little more money to make sure I would have minimal delays or transfers between Spain and home.

My one additional piece of advice would be to try to limit distractions as much as possible. My camino improved tremendously the day my ipod broke (day 5 of a 34 day journey). I couldn't imagine being without it when I realized it had shorted out, but quickly realized that it was a gift from the Camino.

I brought an ipod on the second camino, but I only used it at night in the albergues because I tend to stay up a little later than most pilgrims and I used that time for music and podcasts.

I hope you enjoy every moment. I wish I could go back and experience even just the first day of my '07 pilgrimage. It is so exciting to take those first steps.

Buen Camino!
Dominick

€46,-
I notice that your flight arrives in Bayonne at around 6PM, just as the train to SJPP is departing. People have recommended this hotel for an overnight stop before starting the next morning to SJPP:

"If you need to stay over in Bayonne night walk out of the station and look left across the parking lot. There you will see the Hotel Paris Madrid which is run by Patrick and Sylvie Sorbois. A comfortable room was about 25 euros +/- in 2004.

Buen Camino
William "

Up until December, the last bus leaves at 20h03 and arrives at 21h24 and the last train leaves at at 21h06 on a Friday and Sunday.

If you have a reservation at one of the albergues in St Jean you'll be in time before curfew! (eg: Esprit du Chemino closes at 10pm)
Don't leave it too late in September because some places are only open between April and September. (Esprit du Chemin closes on 26th September and Orisson is open from March to October)

http://www.espritduchemin.org/English/welcome.html
40, rue de la Citadelle
64220 St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France
tel. +33 (0)5 59 37 24 68
info@espritduchemin.org

http://www.aubergedupelerin.com/
25 rue de la citadel
33 (0)5.59.49.10.86
ou au +33 (0)6 78.44.62.10
ou par email
contact@aubergedupelerin.com

You might want to book a room at Orisson on the way to Roncesvalles.
Auberge de Orisson
05 59 49 13 03
681 497 956
Portable : 06.81.49.79.56
Jean-jacques.etchandy@wanadoo.fr
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/

Good luck!

Hey everyone- thanks so much for the quick and helpful replies :D

Hopefully a taster off the helpfulness I'll find on my journey by foot!

Annie (thanks for all the replies btw)- but what do you mean by

"One caution: plan your ATM withdrawals on banking days, not on the weekends. I have seen people have their card nabbed by the machine on a weekend, then have to stick around until Monday to get it back.

Also... CALL YOUR BANK and let them know when you are leaving, what countries you will be in, and when you will return. Otherwise, your card will be taken or refused early. They will think it has been stolen. That frustration can be fixed by a simple phone call ahead of time to your bank, informing them."

Do you mean that the ATM machine "swallows" foreign atm cards on weekends? I'll watch out for that so, don't want to get stuck in northern spain with no money!

I'll take on baord the advice given about getting home in the quickest and most stress free way ...hard to do in this time of "low fair" airlines though :(

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ryanair do flights from Santiago to Stanstead. For example, Frid 29th Oct from €29.99, or Tuesday 2nd November from €44.99.
From Stanstead you could get a flight to Dublin with them too.

Hi Steve
IT is also possible to fly Ryanair Santiago Madrid and both Ryanair and Aer lingus fly to Dublin every day. This is often a cheaper option than going via Stansted . Book early for best prices
Buen camino
Justin

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
IrishDave,

To confuse you further here are my own thoughts on some of your questions after walking SJPDP to Santiago in April-May:

3) I brought collapsible shock-absorber walking sticks with me and found them invaluable, especially in the stress they save your knees on downhills.

4) Pretty much EVERYONE wears the convertible lightweight trousers where you zip off the lower legs to create shorts. I brought two pairs of the tops and one pair of the zip-on bottoms. The weight is minimal and they have numerous cargo pockets.

5) I was able to charge stuff usually at an outlet near my bed. Because I was using an iPhone for email and a separate cell phonefor calls, I used a 3-way splitter in addition to the converter plug (I'm American). Worked fine.

6) THere was pleanty of wine at every dinner meal in the albergues and the bars, though some of it was not really drinkable (and my standards were not high). Since you weren't walking until the next day, the wine didn't affect your progress. With lunch most people have water, cafe con leche, or beer.

7) I would not leave valuables in an albergue, though I never heard it was unsafe to leave your pack on your bed and I always did. Although it cost me an extra 7 ounces, I did carry a small fold-up backpack I bought from Eastern Mountain Sports for $25 which held my valuables (iPhone/camera/etc) when I went exploring after my stop at the albergue to claim a bed, shower and wash clothes. It was definitely worth carrying.

8) ATM's are common enough that I think i came across one prettty much every day. Good idea to use one when the bank is open or in the afternoon when you know the bank will be open in the morning, jsut in case the ATM swallows your card.

9) I am guilty of carrying too many books, but the one I used by far the most was Brierley's short version (ISBN 978-1844091348). Weight 4.4 ounces. Also used the Confraternity Guide (4.8 oz.).

10) Bring a fleece with pockets which zip---the most important garment I had.

Good luck!

You can do whichever. I did not carry a stick but only did from Sarria to SDC. Two of my friends used sticks and two of us didn't

I had quick drying pants which i was very thankful for when I got drenched in the rain in Galicia.

5. If people bring their mobile phones and ipod (I know that is controversial! :mrgreen: ) How do they charge them? In the albergues?
There are plugs in the albergues, I took my iPhone but had it on airplane mode and used wifi where I could find it.

I only noticed a glass of wine included, but also I did not drink or eat much until reaching SDC. My friends and I lived on coffee.

The later you arrive in a town (within the last 100km) the less likely you are to get a spot in an albergue. There are polideportivos, but that can get crowded as well. Arriving before noon is your best bet. You can leave your bag in the albergue, I simply took my valuables with me everywhere, my cash, passport, credential, etc.

I took enough cash for everything I could imagine

Bring a diary/journal and write your own book

Have fun and don't worry. I just walked for my first time a couple weeks ago and had the best time. I started by myself and quickly made three friends who walked with me the entire way. We slept outside once and had a great time.

OH YEAH! Plan to continue on to Finisterre. I am so depressed that I did not go. I had time, but not to do everything, I chose to hug the apostle and attend mass instead. Wish I would have done it all.
Also if your iPod is a touch there is a Camino App by Eroski Consumer, it has maps, albergues, and more

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes! The Spanish ATMs are sometimes hungry and EAT your card! lol

It's generally no problem to get it back during the work hours. But after hours or weekends, forget it...

So I suggest you do your withdrawals during banking hours.

And don't forget to call your bank to notify them you'll be traveling! :)

Hi back again :)

Just another couple of quick questions.

1. I'm landing in around 6pm in Bayoone- so will be staying over before heading to SJPP the next day. Any recommmendations on cheap but decent accomodation? Is it better to stay near aiport or in Biarritz itself?

2. I walking from the last week of Sept until end of Oct. What time will daylight begin- is this the tme everyone starts walking?

3. Are there many albeurgues or other things along the way that provide single/private rooms. I'd like the option at least a few times over the month- of sleeping in my own bed in my own room! What price would such rooms be?

If people could do it all again- what be the one thing they would do different (and then I will do that :wink: )

Cheers

Hi IrishDave,
The hotel Paris Madrid was suggested in an earlier email. There are also two youth hostels in Biarritz - one of which is just a couple of blocks from the train station. I stayed in 2006 and it cost me 18 Euros, including the yearly fee and breakfast. I was treated exceptionally well although I am not a youth.
About single rooms: only an occasional albergue has private rooms. However most cities and towns have at least one pension(usually a private room but often a shared bath - 15 to 20 Euros), hostal (not a hotel but a less expensive alternative. I've stayed in a couple which were both very clean - private bed and bath-20-25 Euros). There are also more and more places called casa de rural. They are often new and very pleasant. Some have a common area for mixing with others but rooms and bath are private. It can be really pleasant to spend a night here and there in a nice, fresh, clean bed with your own bathtub. Save it until you will really savour it!
Days are definitely shorter in the September and October and most people do start about daylight. But all year there is always the plastic bag brigade who start (and rustle) much earlier.
Buen camino
Cecelia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back