• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 Secret Corners in Santiago

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In this reportage Eva Abal briefy describes and maps ten
Secret Corners to visit in Santiago; all are off the basic tourist route.

There are a few interesting sights listed there which could fill an otherwise idle hour in Santiago. I think the supposed shadow of a Peregrino/a is fairly well known. [I stand corrected about the donuts which I now know to be new - I must have read about their installation]

My favourite is the Calle Entrerrúas. I like little alleys, or ginnals as we know them in NW England.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
In this reportage Eva Abal briefy describes and maps ten
Secret Corners to visit in Santiago; all are off the basic tourist route.
On my first Camino a Spanish friend took some of us to see number 9 on the list. The little banners encased in glass with the different fields of study. The story my friend told was similar to the website. He said that Medieval incoming students to the University would go there and whichever one that was picked was decided by the hand of God. The impression was that whichever the student pointed to would be the field of study he had to pursue. Sometimes it is hard to spot because there are sometimes people selling things in front of it. Last time I was in Santiago there was one of those cardboard cutouts that you could stick your face through and take a picture.

There are a few interesting sights listed there which could fill an otherwise idle hour in Santiago. I think the supposed shadow of a Peregrino/a is fairly well known, as are - or were? - the donuts.

The donuts up at the City of Culture are brand new! I believe they finally finished erecting them during this past year, one at a time (there are three). They're fun to see up close. Driving around and seeing them from afar, though, the feeling is more bizarre, as there are now three donuts looking out at you from the horizon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The donuts up at the City of Culture are brand new! I believe they finally finished erecting them during this past year, one at a time (there are three). They're fun to see up close. Driving around and seeing them from afar, though, the feeling is more bizarre, as there are now three donuts looking out at you from the horizon.
Faith, since you live in Santiago you certainly are privvy to all the newest "nuggets" the city has to offer. Great tip!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.