• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 things, or is it 11

Time of past OR future Camino
please see signature
Kelvin Wright, Anglican Bishop of Dunedin, Aotearoa-New Zealand posted these 10 rules in August 2015, having completed a pilgrimage .
  1. Travel light.
  2. Travel lighter still. You think you need that? Really? Give it to another pilgrim. Post it home. Throw it away. You can get rid of another kg yet.
  3. Never pass an open church without going into it.
  4. Never pass a Fuente without drinking from it and giving thanks: for whoever put it there; for your baptism; for the Living Water.
  5. Blisters are the surfacing of minor irregularities in your body. Drain them quickly or they'll spread. Cover them when walking, but, whenever possible, expose them to light and air. When irregularities of your mind or your spirit surface, as they inevitably will, treat the resulting problems in the same way.
  6. Walk within yourself.
  7. Your body is wise. Listen to it.
  8. The path is wise. Listen to it.
  9. Learn enough Spanish to be able to order a meal or some groceries and manage the payment afterwards.
  10. You're making your own Camino for your own reasons and in your own way. So is everyone else, even your closest travelling companion. Respect that.
A reader (not me) added 'What a great list. I'd add "don't worry about getting lost.. you will and it won't matter" '

Someone else added 'When some one points you back to The Way, it's an encounter you may not otherwise have, it's a Blessing.'

http://vendr.blogspot.co.nz/2015/08/10-rules-for-camino-santiago.html

To my mind a great list, full of practicalities. Even going into an open church: say a prayer, have a rest and possibly encounter some great works of art for that place.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
#14 - The Camino is not a race...set your own pace and expectations...and just smile when you are given unwanted advice.

In my 20s in England I had a Kiwi girlfriend from Dunedin. My knowledge of NZ not being so great. So as she described her father as a farmer who was also the local major I assumed that where she lived was some small hick town. I was greatly surprised to discover some years later that Dunedin wasn't! A great list to start with and some nice additions. I look forward to the ones as we progress to #100.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In my 20s in England I had a Kiwi girlfriend from Dunedin.

Al, thanks for that reflection. I have two connections with Dunedin. In order they are:
In 1924 my father's mother emigrated from Edinburgh with him (then aged 14) and about six of his siblings: most of them stayed there. None took up farming.
My first wife's father was born and died in Dunedin, serving stints on the Dunedin City Council and as Member of Parliament for Dunedin Central. He didn't take up farming either.

You say your girlfriend's father was the local "major". My quick research bring up two possibilities.
Thomas Sidey who was a major in the 3rd NZ Division in the Pacific War and mayor of Dunedin from 1959-1965.
Jim Barnes, mayor of Dunedin 1968-1977 having been a local Member of Parliament from 1951 to 1957.

The oft quoted six degrees of separation often gets down to two in this part of the world.

Number one should be "Put Vaseline on your feet"!
Jim - warning - if you put vaseline on your feet or any other body part before you board your flight out of America, you'll get hung up at TSA.
Vaseline = Petroleum jelly and it will set off every bell and whistle at security!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Kelvin Wright, Anglican Bishop of Dunedin, Aotearoa-New Zealand posted these 10 rules in August 2015, having completed a pilgrimage .
  1. Travel light.
  2. Travel lighter still. You think you need that? Really? Give it to another pilgrim. Post it home. Throw it away. You can get rid of another kg yet.
  3. Never pass an open church without going into it.
  4. Never pass a Fuente without drinking from it and giving thanks: for whoever put it there; for your baptism; for the Living Water.
  5. Blisters are the surfacing of minor irregularities in your body. Drain them quickly or they'll spread. Cover them when walking, but, whenever possible, expose them to light and air. When irregularities of your mind or your spirit surface, as they inevitably will, treat the resulting problems in the same way.
  6. Walk within yourself.
  7. Your body is wise. Listen to it.
  8. The path is wise. Listen to it.
  9. Learn enough Spanish to be able to order a meal or some groceries and manage the payment afterwards.
  10. You're making your own Camino for your own reasons and in your own way. So is everyone else, even your closest travelling companion. Respect that.
A reader (not me) added 'What a great list. I'd add "don't worry about getting lost.. you will and it won't matter" '

Someone else added 'When some one points you back to The Way, it's an encounter you may not otherwise have, it's a Blessing.'

http://vendr.blogspot.co.nz/2015/08/10-rules-for-camino-santiago.html

To my mind a great list, full of practicalities. Even going into an open church: say a prayer, have a rest and possibly encounter some great works of art for that place.
This is the loveliest posting on the blog! Thanks for sharing!

Jim - warning - if you put vaseline on your feet or any other body part before you board your flight out of America, you'll get hung up at TSA.
Vaseline = Petroleum jelly and it will set off every bell and whistle at security!!
Thanks Jennifer but I only put it on when I start walking. You need not worry about US security on my account. I wonder if hair gel would cause a similar commotion!

#15 Every few hours turn around and look to where you've walked from. You'll be amazed! And if you are an early riser, the camino sunrises are dynamite.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Jennifer but I only put it on when I start walking. You need not worry about US security on my account. I wonder if hair gel would cause a similar commotion!
In the US here are things that will get you stuck at TSA for the Really Special Treatment: anything that is detected with any petroleum product, including baby powder, hand cream, vaseline, foot powder, vaseline residue on your shoes, or if you touched anything the morning of your departure and then grabbed your suitcase/backpack.

This will really nail you with your carry-on stuff, and even with your checked luggage, TSA will pull your case for additional checking.
I also avoid refueling my car on the way to the airport, because the fuel residue on the petrol handle will then be passed over to my backpack, and then picked up by our friends at TSA.

If you ever wonder why you're always the lucky guy that gets pulled over for an extra screening, it could be that you were nice and changed your baby's nappy that morning and left his little bum nicely powdered or vaselined...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back