• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 Things We Learned On Our First Camino....

Tracker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, July (2014); Salkantay Trek (Peru), July 2016; Camino Portugues, June 2017
Greetings fellow peregrinos!

First and foremost, thanks to EVERYONE on this forum that took the time and effort to contribute their advice to newcomers such as myself. Reading your posts and detailed descriptions made planning our trip seem like looking into a crystal ball. It was truly invaluable and we appreciate everyone’s contributions – knowing and unknowing – to our success. In that spirit, and having just completed our first Camino, my wife and I thought to pay it forward and compile a brief list of things we learned along the way (or, Way…). My caveat here is that these observations are based on our own experiences and are not being represented as universal truth. This is merely a summation of some interesting tidbits we thought might be helpful. While the advice is serious, I also want the tone to be lighthearted. My humor is often sometimes…umm…misunderstood, so please trust me, any offense taken by the reader is purely unintentionally delivered on the part of the writer (who, in the spirit of full disclosure, is American).

So, here we go….

1) Train, and train lots. And start way in advance of your Camino. This piece of advice is probably the most frequently cited across this forum, and it seems like common sense, but we were surprised at how many people we met along the way (or, Way…) who were seriously unprepared for the rigors of daily long-distance walking. To that point, train with ALL of your gear (especially packs, footwear, socks, etc) before you leave. We found MANY long sections of the Camino to be covered kilometer after kilometer with jagged gravel embedded in dense clay. Walk on this for a good, long while and it will feel like the gravel is piercing the bottoms of your boots (or whatever) and going straight through the bottoms of your feet. On the other hand, there are also beautifully smooth sections of packed dirt that you might enjoy by wearing a pair of light trail running shoes. Experiment with your footwear in as varied terrain and surfaces as possible to see what works best for you. If you’re prone to blisters, have good tape handy. If you suffer from Plantar Fasciitis as my wife does, KT Tape saved her Camino.

2) Learn Spanish. No, you don’t have to be native fluent, but even basic tourist Spanish will be useful. Fortunately, I do speak Spanish but many Americans like to believe that most Europeans speak at least SOME English. As we found – at least in Spain - this is simply not true, particularly in the more rural areas through which the Camino traverses. We met far too many peregrinos who couldn’t speak a word of Spanish who related the inevitable stories of becoming seriously ill or injured during their Camino, and being utterly unable to communicate with doctors, and being unable to understand what the doctors were telling them. So, if your command of the Spanish language is limited to “Buen Camino”, you might consider putting off your trip a while longer and maybe getting Rosetta Stone, or download the Duolingo app for free on your tablet or smartphone. In addition to enriching your overall experience while traveling through Spain, it might just save your life as well.

3) As non-smokers, maybe we’re a bit more sensitive to this than most, but we didn’t stop in a café EVER where the majority of people weren’t smoking. It seemed that all of Spain smokes and smokes a LOT. So for the benefit of American non-smokers who’ve never been to Europe, get ready to hold your breath….:)

4) Be keenly aware of the currency conversion rate. For Americans, this means that your dollar is only worth 74 cents (as of August 2014), so plan your travel finances accordingly. Always keep a minimum of 50 Euros set aside in your pocket for emergencies since not all ATMs universally accept all cards. That should at least get you a bed and a meal. The Law of the Jungle says that ATMs will always fail you when you need them the most.

5) Most places we stopped to eat will bring a basket of bread with your meal. In most places in the States, this is always free, but in Spain they’ll charge you around a Euro for it but won’t tell you up front. If you tell them in advance you don’t want bread, there are never any hard feelings. But take my advice…spend the Euro and get the bread. It’s sensational and always fresh.

6) Unlike the States, where restaurants provide glasses of water at your table for free, in café’s/restaurants in Spain you have to ask for water. But be prepared - they’re going to bring it to you in a bottle and charge you for it. Be specific and ask for tap water if you don’t want to pay for a bottle. No one will think less of you for it. (We always opted for the bottled water, almost always Cabreiroa (excellent!), and we also developed a real fondness for Nestea in a can!!) :)

7) Two words: Tortilla Espanola. Two more words: Get it.

8) One unpaid endorsement: In addition to enjoying the local cuisine, our nutrition and recovery strategy along the way (or, Way…) included using a selection of products from Hammer Nutrition. As a result, our energy was always good, and our recovery for the next day meant we had no (or at least very little) soreness. Check it out.

9) Scams perpetrated against peregrinos on the Camino were fortunately, in our experience, rare. But they do occur, so common sense is in order. Two young girls approached us at Kilometer 101 (in the middle of the forest of all places) with a crudely drawn petition seeking signatures in support of a school for the deaf. Naturally, contributions were expected and rather aggressively solicited. Non-citizen signatures on a Spanish petition are legally meaningless (other than a show of moral support, I suppose). The petition was filled with signatures – ironically in the same handwriting – where it showed that alleged “contributions” of previous peregrinos averaged around 50 Euros. Yes, 50 EUROS!! Not 50 cents! While we don’t doubt the obvious generosity of our fellow peregrinos, my bulls**t radar went into overdrive. We politely declined, wished them well in their endeavors, and went on our way.

10) For the ladies out there: My wife tells me that she rarely found a toilet along the way (or, Way…) that came with a seat or lid. Just a porcelain bowl in all its glory. She also reports that said toilets almost universally were without soap or toilet paper. One female peregrina that she met also acknowledged this dilemma, and suggested that one just needs to “wiggle a bit more” at the end. I’ll just leave that one to your imaginations and will move on….

Again, these are simply some small tidbits based on our recent experiences on the Camino. The generosity of the Camino started for us well in advance of our trip through the advice of other more experienced and well-travelled peregrinos on this forum, so this is our way of gratefully adding to the discussion as well. We truly had the time of our lives and are eagerly looking forward to our next Camino, this time perhaps adding the Finisterre/Muxia extension. Thanks for reading, and most especially, thanks again to all those travelers before us for your advice and encouragement! Buen Camino to all!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
great post! and i hope you do not mind if i elaborate a bit on points 3 and 5.

smoking in public bars, restaurants, cafes, etc. is against the law in spain, and to my knowledge the majority abide. that said, the law only specifies places with a roof and walls, so outdoor seating is a different story. and yes, we (us spaniards) still smoke a lot, which is a shame.

bread is usually included with a 'menu del día', so is the tax and service, etc. this should always be clearly indicated on the menu you are holding (perhaps not in english). if you are eating 'a la carte', you are right, anything can happen.

once again, congrats for a great post!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was pleasantly surprised that with every cerveza I ordered...I received a tasty morsel to accompany it. Depending on the bar, this could be anything from some bread with mystery meat, or a nice collection of meats (which I could identify) olives, a sardine or two, etc. On occasion, I drank so many beers, I was full and ready to crash. It was on these same occasions that I realized that "mystery meat" could taste like steak; or vice versa.

Thanks for the compliment, Jeffery! And you're quite correct about the smoking location, too. I should've made clear that our experience with smoking in Spain actually WAS while seated in the outdoor parts of cafe's. Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing anyone smoking indoors. Thanks, too, for taking my post with the good humor in which it was intended! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Something we learned on the Camino: Always stop at the first bar in town. If you don't there might not be another one for 10 km. However, inevitably if you DO stop, there is always a better one 100 metres further ;-)

Smoking. The only place I smoked inside was at the Elvis bar, and that's because he wouldn't let me go outside for one!

Toilets, paper, and seats. I ran into at least 2 albergues that did not have toilet seats. They were in Pamplona and Villafranca. I ran into many, MANY restrooms with no toilet paper. Carry a roll with you. It's worth it! Also, many didn't have soap dispensers so bring some hand sanitizer as well!

Thanks so much for this list! I head out from Austin, TX, one month from today. I may contact you by message to hear how your wife handled the PF. I've developed a mild case while training, which has slowed my training and made me worried. I'm treating it, and am much bolstered to know folks have had great Caminos even so.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ok....so as a female the absence of the toilet seat was an issue. With wobbly sore hikers legs, squatting to tinkle did seem like a challenge, but we overcame. However, we had never been exposed to a group shower in a women's bathroom. At first I was a very alarmed American and waited until very late at night to shower without people. But I guess I tried to get over it and just shower like everyone else. Culture shock at it's finest! I did receive more stares showering in my unders than anyone who just jumped in and showered. Wasn't prepared for the shower tree. But it's not a big deal now I guess.

On Camino part of my routine each morning is to load my pocket with a small pack of tissues. That way I never get caught in a toilet without paper. Pocket packs come in multiples and every supermarket sells them. Easier and more discreet than a roll of toilet paper.

The "deaf" girls scam gets a mention on several threads on the forum - next year it will be something new. Pilgrims have always been pickings for the unscrupulous - we are getting it easy compared to earlier times. I am a work in progress when it comes to balancing naivety with skepticism.

Thanks so much for this list! I head out from Austin, TX, one month from today. I may contact you by message to hear how your wife handled the PF. I've developed a mild case while training, which has slowed my training and made me worried. I'm treating it, and am much bolstered to know folks have had great Caminos even so.

Hi Vivello!
I'm glad you and others are finding the list helpful! By all means feel free to message again anytime. My wife has dealt with PF for several years as a runner, and given the amount of time one is on their feet during the Camino, up and down hills, etc., she was deathly afraid the PF would ruin her (and hence, OUR) trip. She started applying KT Tape to treat her PF while training for the Camino and it never flared up. She applied the tape every morning in Spain before heading out for the day's walk and the PF didn't bother her at all during the entire Camino. The KT tape website (www.kttape.com) has a video showing how to apply the tape specifically to treat PF and I can tell you now, my wife swears it saved her Camino. If you need any more info, don't hesitate to reach out. We wish you the very best for a safe, happy, and memorable trip! Buen Camino!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On Camino part of my routine each morning is to load my pocket with a small pack of tissues. That way I never get caught in a toilet without paper. Pocket packs come in multiples and every supermarket sells them. Easier and more discreet than a roll of toilet paper.

The "deaf" girls scam gets a mention on several threads on the forum - next year it will be something new. Pilgrims have always been pickings for the unscrupulous - we are getting it easy compared to earlier times. I am a work in progress when it comes to balancing naivety with skepticism.

Hi Kanga!
VERY nice to meet you! I learned a great deal about preparing for our Camino from reading your posts and advice to others. Thank you for sharing your experience!
Yes, my wife is always on guard for such situations and planned just as you suggest. She always had a small pack of tissue with her at all times which, aside from seatless toilets, came in handy for those times when...umm..let's just say when 4 walls and a roof weren't quite available...:rolleyes:.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tracker, thank you so much for taking the time to share this helpful and yet humorous post. I leave in a month for my first Camino. My training has been slacking this past week and I've not been as diligent as I intended in learning Spanish. I appreciate the nudge in the right direction!

I'm glad you and your wife had a great experience. Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,
Mary

I was pleasantly surprised that with every cerveza I ordered...I received a tasty morsel to accompany it. Depending on the bar, this could be anything from some bread with mystery meat, or a nice collection of meats (which I could identify) olives, a sardine or two, etc. On occasion, I drank so many beers, I was full and ready to crash. It was on these same occasions that I realized that "mystery meat" could taste like steak; or vice versa.
Unfortunately the fine art of the free tapa is not universally installed across spain, each region does their own thing. leon does, galicia at many places, but you'll be paying good money for a tapa in navarra (pamplona). So cross your fingers and if food is put in front of you that you did not ask for: enjoy!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My secret sin is chocolate and freshly made churros. I can't think of anything with more calories.

I agree but it was soo hard to find so had to wait for ages before finding some. I guess it was the Camino's way of keeping me from temptation but I caved in easily when I found some :oops:. I guess I'll have to walk another Camino to pay for my sins ;).

Your number 10--only saw one young woman carrying a toilet seat on her pack--American , Of Course. Think she was joking. Lack of toilet paper was probably due to other early morning Pilgrims taking the roll--very common ! My novia always has a full roll in her pack as we are used to traveling in South America where there is never any paper and rarely toilet seats.. Must admit we expected Spain to be like Spanish America where you NEVER throw used toilet paper in the toilet--always thrown in adjacent wastebasket.

Training-still don't think it is possible to train for the Camino if you are walking from SJPDP. The day after day after day walking just wears some people down to where they quit while making others so tough, they can walk forever. Saw much more people quit due to the constant walking than because of any problem with feet , pack, or weather. Many, many quit because of the Camino was just not what they expected, e.g. Jesus failed to personally speak to one person!; another quit because of lack of expected new friends; others got tired of the endless competition for beds in albergues.

Training-still don't think it is possible to train for the Camino if you are walking from SJPDP. The day after day after day walking just wears some people down to where they quit while making others so tough, they can walk forever. Saw much more people quit due to the constant walking than because of any problem with feet , pack, or weather. Many, many quit because of the Camino was just not what they expected, e.g. Jesus failed to personally speak to one person!; another quit because of lack of expected new friends; others got tired of the endless competition for beds in albergues.

An excellent point, Xin! It is indeed difficult to replicate in training walking 20km+per day for 30+ days in a row. We did the best we could in training distances, but it certainly didn't measure up to the real thing. We tested all sorts of gear/pack/footwear configurations so when we finally departed from the States we had confidence in what we were bringing, and on the Camino we made sure to focus on good nutrition and recovery each day. We kept to a pace that was comfortable for us (not terribly fast!), which meant we had a chance to enjoy brief chats with many groups and individuals as they passed us. That said, there were some days that were more difficult than others for sure! Prior to leaving we read MANY accounts of others on this forum who had much more experience on the Camino, and that definitely helped us with planning and logistics, but even so, we tried not to approach our Camino with too many pre-conceived notions or inflated expectations, and just enjoyed each day out there at our own pace.

Tracker, thank you so much for taking the time to share this helpful and yet humorous post. I leave in a month for my first Camino. My training has been slacking this past week and I've not been as diligent as I intended in learning Spanish. I appreciate the nudge in the right direction!

I'm glad you and your wife had a great experience. Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,
Mary

Hi Mary!
Thanks very much for your kind comments! I had to learn Spanish since I do so much work-related travel to Latin America, so even though I make no claims at native fluency (and the dialects are certainly different) I was able to get by in Spain just fine. Even so, I'm always a bit intimidated when speaking to a native speaker for fear I'll sound just like the goofy Anglo that I am. On my Camino those fears were wholly unsubstantiated. The people we met were really terrific, so don't be afraid to use what Spanish you have. Dive right in and give it a go. If you get something wrong, no one will laugh, and they'll definitely appreciate the fact that you're at least trying. You'll have lots of time and opportunity to practice along the Way.

Best wishes for a most memorable and enjoyable Camino! I'll look forward to reading your post-Camino report when you get back home! :)

Cheers-

T

I believe in #2 - learning Spanish. On my first Camino, I found that I could understand enough French & Spanish that I could get by but my ability to speak either language was useless beyond a few basic phrases. I recognized that it would make the experience so much better if I could communicate at least at a basic level. That is why I am diligently studying Spanish now. Errr....ummmm.... despite the fact that next month I'll be walking the Caminho Portuguese from Lisbon. I hope they speak Spanish there. :p

I believe in #2 - learning Spanish. On my first Camino, I found that I could understand enough French & Spanish that I could get by but my ability to speak either language was useless beyond a few basic phrases. I recognized that it would make the experience so much better if I could communicate at least at a basic level. That is why I am diligently studying Spanish now. Errr....ummmm.... despite the fact that next month I'll be walking the Caminho Portuguese from Lisbon. I hope they speak Spanish there. :p
hi michael - in my experience: i encountered more english speaking portuguese than english speaking spaniards.
(and: when my 'make-believe-italian-portuguese' was not understood :) , the person i spoke to found a person who did speak english - and voila', communication probs solved.)
A few basics in portuguese though will also go a long way (no pun intended) - Please do keep us posted on your caminho experience! saluti! claudia

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Tracker : Thank you for your thoughtful post. Day 1 from sjpp is september1. The one thing that niggles is the rumoured rush for rooms. If I had wanted an "amazing race" experience I would have signed up for that. Did you ever have serious problems finding beds?

First and foremost, thanks to EVERYONE on this forum that took the time and effort to contribute their advice to newcomers such as myself. Reading your posts and detailed descriptions made planning our trip seem like looking into a crystal ball. It was truly invaluable and we appreciate everyone’s contributions – knowing and unknowing – to our success. In that spirit, and having just completed our first Camino, my wife and I thought to pay it forward and compile a brief list of things we learned along the way (or, Way…). My caveat here is that these observations are based on our own experiences and are not being represented as universal truth. This is merely a summation of some interesting tidbits we thought might be helpful. While the advice is serious, I also want the tone to be lighthearted. My humor is often sometimes…umm…misunderstood, so please trust me, any offense taken by the reader is purely unintentionally delivered on the part of the writer (who, in the spirit of full disclosure, is American).

So, here we go….

1) Train, and train lots. And start way in advance of your Camino. This piece of advice is probably the most frequently cited across this forum, and it seems like common sense, but we were surprised at how many people we met along the way (or, Way…) who were seriously unprepared for the rigors of daily long-distance walking. To that point, train with ALL of your gear (especially packs, footwear, socks, etc) before you leave. We found MANY long sections of the Camino to be covered kilometer after kilometer with jagged gravel embedded in dense clay. Walk on this for a good, long while and it will feel like the gravel is piercing the bottoms of your boots (or whatever) and going straight through the bottoms of your feet. On the other hand, there are also beautifully smooth sections of packed dirt that you might enjoy by wearing a pair of light trail running shoes. Experiment with your footwear in as varied terrain and surfaces as possible to see what works best for you. If you’re prone to blisters, have good tape handy. If you suffer from Plantar Fasciitis as my wife does, KT Tape saved her Camino.

2) Learn Spanish. No, you don’t have to be native fluent, but even basic tourist Spanish will be useful. Fortunately, I do speak Spanish but many Americans like to believe that most Europeans speak at least SOME English. As we found – at least in Spain - this is simply not true, particularly in the more rural areas through which the Camino traverses. We met far too many peregrinos who couldn’t speak a word of Spanish who related the inevitable stories of becoming seriously ill or injured during their Camino, and being utterly unable to communicate with doctors, and being unable to understand what the doctors were telling them. So, if your command of the Spanish language is limited to “Buen Camino”, you might consider putting off your trip a while longer and maybe getting Rosetta Stone, or download the Duolingo app for free on your tablet or smartphone. In addition to enriching your overall experience while traveling through Spain, it might just save your life as well.

3) As non-smokers, maybe we’re a bit more sensitive to this than most, but we didn’t stop in a café EVER where the majority of people weren’t smoking. It seemed that all of Spain smokes and smokes a LOT. So for the benefit of American non-smokers who’ve never been to Europe, get ready to hold your breath….:)

4) Be keenly aware of the currency conversion rate. For Americans, this means that your dollar is only worth 74 cents (as of August 2014), so plan your travel finances accordingly. Always keep a minimum of 50 Euros set aside in your pocket for emergencies since not all ATMs universally accept all cards. That should at least get you a bed and a meal. The Law of the Jungle says that ATMs will always fail you when you need them the most.

5) Most places we stopped to eat will bring a basket of bread with your meal. In most places in the States, this is always free, but in Spain they’ll charge you around a Euro for it but won’t tell you up front. If you tell them in advance you don’t want bread, there are never any hard feelings. But take my advice…spend the Euro and get the bread. It’s sensational and always fresh.

6) Unlike the States, where restaurants provide glasses of water at your table for free, in café’s/restaurants in Spain you have to ask for water. But be prepared - they’re going to bring it to you in a bottle and charge you for it. Be specific and ask for tap water if you don’t want to pay for a bottle. No one will think less of you for it. (We always opted for the bottled water, almost always Cabreiroa (excellent!), and we also developed a real fondness for Nestea in a can!!) :)

8) One unpaid endorsement: In addition to enjoying the local cuisine, our nutrition and recovery strategy along the way (or, Way…) included using a selection of products from Hammer Nutrition. As a result, our energy was always good, and our recovery for the next day meant we had no (or at least very little) soreness. Check it out.

9) Scams perpetrated against peregrinos on the Camino were fortunately, in our experience, rare. But they do occur, so common sense is in order. Two young girls approached us at Kilometer 101 (in the middle of the forest of all places) with a crudely drawn petition seeking signatures in support of a school for the deaf. Naturally, contributions were expected and rather aggressively solicited. Non-citizen signatures on a Spanish petition are legally meaningless (other than a show of moral support, I suppose). The petition was filled with signatures – ironically in the same handwriting – where it showed that alleged “contributions” of previous peregrinos averaged around 50 Euros. Yes, 50 EUROS!! Not 50 cents! While we don’t doubt the obvious generosity of our fellow peregrinos, my bulls**t radar went into overdrive. We politely declined, wished them well in their endeavors, and went on our way.

10) For the ladies out there: My wife tells me that she rarely found a toilet along the way (or, Way…) that came with a seat or lid. Just a porcelain bowl in all its glory. She also reports that said toilets almost universally were without soap or toilet paper. One female peregrina that she met also acknowledged this dilemma, and suggested that one just needs to “wiggle a bit more” at the end. I’ll just leave that one to your imaginations and will move on….

Again, these are simply some small tidbits based on our recent experiences on the Camino. The generosity of the Camino started for us well in advance of our trip through the advice of other more experienced and well-travelled peregrinos on this forum, so this is our way of gratefully adding to the discussion as well. We truly had the time of our lives and are eagerly looking forward to our next Camino, this time perhaps adding the Finisterre/Muxia extension. Thanks for reading, and most especially, thanks again to all those travelers before us for your advice and encouragement! Buen Camino to all!

Is this what you are referring to: [

Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes- Electrolyte Replacement Supplement-Dietary Supplement ? Thanks so much for your post!

QUOTE="Tracker, post: 234666, member: 37611"]Greetings fellow peregrinos!

So, here we go….

Again, these are simply some small tidbits based on our recent experiences on the Camino. The generosity of the Camino started for us well in advance of our trip through the advice of other more experienced and well-travelled peregrinos on this forum, so this is our way of gratefully adding to the discussion as well. We truly had the time of our lives and are eagerly looking forward to our next Camino, this time perhaps adding the Finisterre/Muxia extension. Thanks for reading, and most especially, thanks again to all those travelers before us for your advice and encouragement! Buen Camino to all![/QUOTE]

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tracker : Thank you for your thoughtful post. Day 1 from sjpp is september1. The one thing that niggles is the rumoured rush for rooms. If I had wanted an "amazing race" experience I would have signed up for that. Did you ever have serious problems finding beds?

Hi Leiper!
We definitely weren't interested in setting a blistering pace, so we did run into some issues finding beds usually on the longer stage days (i.e. into Logrono or Astorga) when we'd arrive much later than everyone else. It didn't happen often, but when it did, we never had a problem finding a hotel...which actually was a nice treat! In fairness to all, we WERE advised by many that the early bird gets the bed space, but didn't always heed the advice. Fortunately, things happened to work out for us. If we'd had to sleep on the ground somewhere, Mrs. Tracker would never let me hear the end of it! :)

Best wishes, and Buen Camino!

Hi Janice!

OK, I'm probably going to catch all kinds of flak for this from traditionalists, but here we go...

In addition to carrying water in a 50L Camelbak, we also used two tall bike bottles for our Hammer supplements. One bottle carried an electrolyte drink (Hammer Fizz in dissolvable tablets) and the other carried Hammer Perpetuem (a tasty carbohydrate/protein mix that is essentially liquid food). The Perpetuem lasts until about lunchtime when we would then eat a good meal. That carried us throughout the rest of the day's walking. As soon as we got to our sleeping location, we would drink a packet of Hammer Recoverite and pop a very small tablet called Xobaline. The Recoverite replenishes nutrients, amino acids, protein/carb, etc., and the Xobaline works to reduce fatigue and soreness. We would then eat a good dinner. Between the excellent meals and the supplement strategy, we woke up each day feeling less like we'd been run over by a bus (more like a small car), had plenty of steady energy with no spikes and crashes, and experienced very little muscle soreness. But I have to warn the obvious: that carrying all this comes with a pretty hefty weight penalty in your pack, not so much the Fizz and Xobaline (nearly weightless), but a month's supply of Recoverite and Perpetuem definitely tipped the scales in the wrong direction. Was it worth it? Well, for us the weight penalty seems to have been offset by our increased comfort and stamina. It's definitely possible to modify our strategy and probably still achieve excellent results without carrying 30 days worth, which probably added up to 3-4 extra pounds, but the good news is that the pack got lighter each day! :) If I'd planned ahead a bit better, I might have been able to carry 5 days worth at a time and resupply along the way by shipping the extra supplements to post offices in the larger towns like I do when hiking the AT in the States. I just didn't think that far ahead...

Yes, this sounds like overkill, but when I was a much younger semi-pro cyclist Hammer sponsored me until I changed teams. Even though it's been many years, I still use their products for racing and training because they work. I simply applied a different "field of play" to the usual application of their nutritional supplements and it paid off very well for me (and us). Unusual? Admittedly, yes. We approached the Camino a bit like preparing for a major race, so I followed the standard plan of experimenting in training with gear and nutrition well in advance of the actual "event". We'll do it again on our next Camino, but will likely reduce the volume to every other day to see how that works.

Yes, I freely admit to the strangeness....! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Leiper, I walked the Frances beginning Sept. 6, 2012. (Two years gone by already? It feels like yesterday!), so my info may be somewhat dated. I found that leaving early in the morning was a good idea, simply because there were days it was just too hot to walk later than 1:00pm. Starting early also opens up options for you. You could walk for a bit, then when it gets too hot, take a nice, long break and still get to your destination before it's too late for a bed. Or, you get to the albergue near opening time and you're able to wash clothes, shower and then go explore the area. Not only that, but you get to see a lot of sunrises! And again, you don't have the worry of finding a bed. No doubt you'll be like everyone else....you'll find your own rhythm and pace and make it work in a way that suits you. Have a wonderful time.

Can I ask what specific products you used from Hammer nutrition?
Sorry I read further and found the answer to my question! thank you!!

Can I ask what specific products you used from Hammer nutrition?

Absolutely! We used FIZZ (electrolyte tablets we dissolved in our bottles), PERPETUEM (for sustained energy/nutrition on the walk), RECOVERITE (for daily recovery), and XOBALINE (for muscle soreness). We both had great results!

Thank

So, here we go….

you

So, here we go….

Thank you, Tracker for you kind and intelligent suggestions. I love reading well written posts like yours.
Gretchen

Thankyou, this is very helpful. I embark on my first camino, alone , on 9 September. i am excited, all be it a little nervous!
Hey, Dooze. Perhaps we'll meet up along the way. I will also begin my first Camino on Sept. 8 or 9 from SJPdP. Where are you beginning your walk?
Gretchen

Thank you, Tracker for you kind and intelligent suggestions. I love reading well written posts like yours.
Gretchen

Thanks very much for your kind compliment, Gretchen! Also, my profile picture was taken when I lived in Arizona, and not a day goes by that I don't miss being out there. Compared to the Mountain West, Washington, DC is sorely lacking in, well...MANY things!

Have a great trip! It's the journey of a lifetime!

All best-

T

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
1) Speak Spanish as much as possible, and if you get to a point where you cannot communicate, politely ask if they know your language.
2) Ordering a glass of wine sometimes means you get a whole bottle. Be prepared to drink.
3) Burger King in Madrid near Barajas airport has free refills on drinks!
4) Pilgrim menu can be dodgy in some places. We opted for tapas and raciones most of the time.
5) Mayonnaise at McDonalds costs 50 cents a packet.
6) You need to get cash when you can, because it may be hard to find a cash machine or the cash machine may not take your card. Most places don't accept debit/credit cards.
7) You will encounter beggars in the larger towns if you sit outside to eat. I usually picked one of the more elderly or unfortunate looking ones and gave that one person some money. That way I could still be charitable without giving away the farm.
8) Barajas airport is huge and it takes a lot of time to walk through it. I thought I would just step off the plane and be out of the terminal in 5 minutes. I am glad I did not prebook a bus because I would not have made it in time.
9) Buying train tickets locally seemed much cheaper than on the Rail Europe webpage.
10) They like ham a lot.

Last edited:
1) Speak Spanish as much as possible, and if you get to a point where you cannot communicate, politely ask if they know your language.
2) Ordering a glass of wine sometimes means you get a whole bottle. Be prepared to drink.
3) Burger King in Madrid near Barajas airport has free refills on drinks!
4) Pilgrim menu can be dodgy in some places. We opted for tapas and raciones most of the time.
5) Mayonnaise at McDonalds costs 50 cents a packet.
6) You need to get cash when you can, because it may be hard to find a cash machine or the cash machine may not take your card. Most places don't accept debit/credit cards.
7) You will encounter beggars in the larger towns if you sit outside to eat. I usually picked one of the more elderly or unfortunate looking ones and gave that one person some money. That way I could still be charitable without giving away the farm.
8) Barajas airport is huge and it takes a lot of time to walk through it. I thought I would just step off the plane and be out of the terminal. I am glad I did not prebook a bus because I would not have made it in time.
9) Buying train tickets locally seemed much cheaper than on the Rail Europe webpage.
10) They like ham a lot.
Thank you, GerryDel. Last time we were in Spain, they sold us "up" everytime possible. Instead of a cup of wine, we'd be given the whole bottle - etc. I learned a lesson, I hope.
Do you remember seeing a postal service in the Barajas airport? I need to send a suitcase to Ivar from Spain but where?
I'm flying to Pamplona the same evening I arrive. Help anyone know of a solution?
Gretchen

Something we learned on the Camino: Always stop at the first bar in town. If you don't there might not be another one for 10 km. However, inevitably if you DO stop, there is always a better one 100 metres further ;-)
Sounds like Murphy's Law operates around the world. Don't you know?
Gretchen

N
Thanks very much for your kind compliment, Gretchen! Also, my profile picture was taken when I lived in Arizona, and not a day goes by that I don't miss being out there. Compared to the Mountain West, Washington, DC is sorely lacking in, well...MANY things!

Have a great trip! It's the journey of a lifetime!

All best-

T
Good picture, Tracker. It's just starting to cool a little now. Arizona is a wonderful place to live if you like the outdoor, beautiful vistas, etc. I'll be leaving for Spain in Sept and not return until the end of Oct. The weather will be beautiful then until May, 2015. We still play golf during the summer anyway. We just don't play very well anytime of the year.
I love it no matter what and I just retired from living in Japan for 5 years. I love that too. So many places; so little time but as I'm getting old now, I'd better do as much as my body with allow before it's too late.
Hasta, mi amigo,
Gretchen

Thank you, GerryDel. Last time we were in Spain, they sold us "up" everytime possible. Instead of a cup of wine, we'd be given the whole bottle - etc.
I'm flying to Pamplona the same evening I arrive. Help anyone know of a solution?
Gretchen

Well I don't think I was charged for the wine when they brought me the whole bottle, but maybe? I was drunk, who knows :). I didn't see a postal service, but that don't mean there isn't one.

Yep! We bought the whole bottle - it kept us warm and a very cold day in Barcelona. Still, I learned something about ordering wine.
Buen Camino, buddy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey Leiper, I walked the Frances beginning Sept. 6, 2012. (Two years gone by already? It feels like yesterday!), so my info may be somewhat dated. I found that leaving early in the morning was a good idea, simply because there were days it was just too hot to walk later than 1:00pm. Starting early also opens up options for you. You could walk for a bit, then when it gets too hot, take a nice, long break and still get to your destination before it's too late for a bed. Or, you get to the albergue near opening time and you're able to wash clothes, shower and then go explore the area. Not only that, but you get to see a lot of sunrises! And again, you don't have the worry of finding a bed. No doubt you'll be like everyone else....you'll find your own rhythm and pace and make it work in a way that suits you. Have a wonderful time.
Thank you! Made me feel better:)

Hi Leiper!
We definitely weren't interested in setting a blistering pace, so we did run into some issues finding beds usually on the longer stage days (i.e. into Logrono or Astorga) when we'd arrive much later than everyone else. It didn't happen often, but when it did, we never had a problem finding a hotel...which actually was a nice treat! In fairness to all, we WERE advised by many that the early bird gets the bed space, but didn't always heed the advice. Fortunately, things happened to work out for us. If we'd had to sleep on the ground somewhere, Mrs. Tracker would never let me hear the end of it! :)

Best wishes, and Buen Camino!
Thanks Tracker! We're open to various types of accommodation, so I hope that helps. We're not interested in setting a blistering pace either! Thanks again for your post.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
An excellent point, Xin! It is indeed difficult to replicate in training walking 20km+per day for 30+ days in a row. We did the best we could in training distances, but it certainly didn't measure up to the real thing. We tested all sorts of gear/pack/footwear configurations so when we finally departed from the States we had confidence in what we were bringing, and on the Camino we made sure to focus on good nutrition and recovery each day. We kept to a pace that was comfortable for us (not terribly fast!), which meant we had a chance to enjoy brief chats with many groups and individuals as they passed us. That said, there were some days that were more difficult than others for sure! Prior to leaving we read MANY accounts of others on this forum who had much more experience on the Camino, and that definitely helped us with planning and logistics, but even so, we tried not to approach our Camino with too many pre-conceived notions or inflated expectations, and just enjoyed each day out there at our own pace.
Great post and thank you! I use Hammer products here at home, but I'm concerned about the pack weight of bringing them along. Can you share which products you brought and how much of them?

Great post and thank you! I use Hammer products here at home, but I'm concerned about the pack weight of bringing them along. Can you share which products you brought and how much of them?

Hi Marcy!

We used FIZZ (electrolyte tablets we dissolved in our bottles), PERPETUEM (for sustained energy/nutrition on the walk), RECOVERITE (for daily recovery), and XOBALINE (for muscle soreness). A tube of Fizz has 13 tablets, so I brought three tubes and used one tablet per day dissolved in a bike bottle. Perpetuem comes in single serving packets, and I brought one per day of walking. Likewise, Recoverite also comes in single serving packets (one per day at the end of each day's walking). That's where the weight penalty comes in. The Perpetuem and Recoverite (both are powder packets) totaled 70 packets, which added about 8 extra pounds to the pack. Since you're consuming two packets of the products every day, your pack does gradually get lighter, but you won't really notice it until just past the halfway point. The Xobaline is a very small, dissolvable tablet you pop under your tongue at the end of the day's walk. Each bottle has 30 tablets, so I brought one bottle but added 10 extra tabs to it from another bottle to give me enough for my estimated travel time (in our case, 38 days). Three tubes of Fizz and one bottle of Xobaline weigh hardly anything at all, and the benefits were amazing.

We used the Hammer products as a supplement to regular meals along the way. For example, I sipped the Fizz once in a while for hydration and electrolytes, especially if it was a particularly hot day and I was sweating a lot, but still relied on good old fashioned water from my Camelbak. The Perpetuem lasts about 3-4 hours and got me as far as lunch each day. The meal would then provide plenty of calories/energy to last me the rest of the day. The Perpetuem just made sure I was getting enough quality carbs and protein in the first half of the day. Same with the Recoverite at the end of the day, followed by a good meal. The Xobaline did a great job of alleviating/preventing muscle soreness. This strategy meant that we started each day fresher and better refueled, and could enjoy the days that much more.

Now that I've "experimented" with this strategy, on our next Camino I'll probably look for a way to ship supplies ahead and only carry 5 days worth a a time. Maybe I'll reserve a hotel for every 5 days of walking (the route is generally predictable enough to know in advance where you'll be), and ship resupplies ahead to each hotel. Or something like that.....

Hammer will give you a free nutrition/product consultation on the phone. Just tell them what you're doing and they'll recommend how you should fuel for it. They definitely won't sell you something you won't need, especially if you tell them it's all going on your back for a month! :)

Good luck, and Buen Camino!

Gerry----8) Barajas airport is huge!!!!!!

you got that right! Don't wait until last minute to get to airport when leaving! After checking in our packs to come home, it took 45 minutes to get to our Boarding Gate. I think a lot of people missed their return flight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Marcy!

We used FIZZ (electrolyte tablets we dissolved in our bottles), PERPETUEM (for sustained energy/nutrition on the walk), RECOVERITE (for daily recovery), and XOBALINE (for muscle soreness). A tube of Fizz has 13 tablets, so I brought three tubes and used one tablet per day dissolved in a bike bottle. Perpetuem comes in single serving packets, and I brought one per day of walking. Likewise, Recoverite also comes in single serving packets (one per day at the end of each day's walking). That's where the weight penalty comes in. The Perpetuem and Recoverite (both are powder packets) totaled 70 packets, which added about 8 extra pounds to the pack. Since you're consuming two packets of the products every day, your pack does gradually get lighter, but you won't really notice it until just past the halfway point. The Xobaline is a very small, dissolvable tablet you pop under your tongue at the end of the day's walk. Each bottle has 30 tablets, so I brought one bottle but added 10 extra tabs to it from another bottle to give me enough for my estimated travel time (in our case, 38 days). Three tubes of Fizz and one bottle of Xobaline weigh hardly anything at all, and the benefits were amazing.

We used the Hammer products as a supplement to regular meals along the way. For example, I sipped the Fizz once in a while for hydration and electrolytes, especially if it was a particularly hot day and I was sweating a lot, but still relied on good old fashioned water from my Camelbak. The Perpetuem lasts about 3-4 hours and got me as far as lunch each day. The meal would then provide plenty of calories/energy to last me the rest of the day. The Perpetuem just made sure I was getting enough quality carbs and protein in the first half of the day. Same with the Recoverite at the end of the day, followed by a good meal. The Xobaline did a great job of alleviating/preventing muscle soreness. This strategy meant that we started each day fresher and better refueled, and could enjoy the days that much more.

Now that I've "experimented" with this strategy, on our next Camino I'll probably look for a way to ship supplies ahead and only carry 5 days worth a a time. Maybe I'll reserve a hotel for every 5 days of walking (the route is generally predictable enough to know in advance where you'll be), and ship resupplies ahead to each hotel. Or something like that.....

Hammer will give you a free nutrition/product consultation on the phone. Just tell them what you're doing and they'll recommend how you should fuel for it. They definitely won't sell you something you won't need, especially if you tell them it's all going on your back for a month! :)

Good luck, and Buen Camino!
Thanks for the info. I think perpetuem comes in tablets also? Fizz is a must for me, I love it for the heat. I'll look into the Xobaline and recoverite. As an aging athlete myself, I know it's all about recovery!!

Interesting info - thanks!

We are underway in a couple of weeks, so will read more thoroughly over the next day or two.

Thanks for the info. I think perpetuem comes in tablets also? Fizz is a must for me, I love it for the heat. I'll look into the Xobaline and recoverite. As an aging athlete myself, I know it's all about recovery!!

Hi Marcy-

Perpetuem does come in tablet form, but three tabs only gives you 100 calories, whereas a packet gives you 270. You might have to carry a lot of tablets to equal the packet content, so I opted for the powder, but I DO acknowledge the extra weight wasn't much fun. Fortunately, it did decrease as the days went by. And you're absolutely correct...good recovery is everything. It keeps you moving day after day with more comfort. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I might do the Perpetuem every other day, but definitely do Recoverite and Xobaline after every day's walk. It would bring the pack weight down some, and still probably wouldn't affect overall performance.

10) My wife tells me that she rarely found a toilet along the way (or, Way…) that came with a seat or lid. Just a porcelain bowl in all its glory...

Just wanted to mention that I see more and more toilets, both pubic and in bars, restaurants and campsites, without a seat/lid in France - A campsite owner told me they did this for better hygene as public toilet seats are much harder to keep clean... whereas porcelain is much easier to wipe clean.

and I agree about toilet tissue... much better to have your own little supply ;)

Your point #1. can not be stressed enough. Training made my Camino a blissful experience. My sister who only trained a few miles a day, and didn't train at all with her pack, was miserable the first two weeks and her pack rubbed and hurt her back. Especially if you are overweight at all, the training is essential and carrying the lightest load possible. Nothing will prepare you body for day after day walking with extra weight on your back, except walking day... after day... with your pack. I would suggest walking to a friends house, stay the night, and walk back home. Quick way to test all your gear and if you have everything you will need.

The Camino can be one of the greatest trips of your life with the proper preparation. Of course there is always the exception, we met a couple who had hopped on a plane after a week of planing and were having a great time. Did I mention they were in the early 20's? :)

Your point #1. can not be stressed enough. Training made my Camino a blissful experience. My sister who only trained a few miles a day, and didn't train at all with her pack, was miserable the first two weeks and her pack rubbed and hurt her back. Especially if you are overweight at all, the training is essential and carrying the lightest load possible. Nothing will prepare you body for day after day walking with extra weight on your back, except walking day... after day... with your pack. I would suggest walking to a friends house, stay the night, and walk back home. Quick way to test all your gear and if you have everything you will need.

The Camino can be one of the greatest trips of your life with the proper preparation. Of course there is always the exception, we met a couple who had hopped on a plane after a week of planing and were having a great time. Did I mention they were in the early 20's? :)

Great advice, CatherineAnn! As for the couple in their 20's, I'll just contain my envy. :)

Hi Marcy-

Perpetuem does come in tablet form, but three tabs only gives you 100 calories, whereas a packet gives you 270. You might have to carry a lot of tablets to equal the packet content, so I opted for the powder, but I DO acknowledge the extra weight wasn't much fun. Fortunately, it did decrease as the days went by. And you're absolutely correct...good recovery is everything. It keeps you moving day after day with more comfort. If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I might do the Perpetuem every other day, but definitely do Recoverite and Xobaline after every day's walk. It would bring the pack weight down some, and still probably wouldn't affect overall performance.
Is there no equivalent availiable in Spanish Farmacias??

My secret sin is chocolate and freshly made churros. I can't think of anything with more calories.
Should be number 11 (or 1 Bis)
And as far as all the other points are concerned, I'm missing Murphy's Law.:rolleyes:

Well, I can't say I've come across many toilets without a seat, but maybe things have changed this year? I always carry a small packet of tissues in my pocket. There's no need to carry a whole toilet roll!
Electrolytes. We bring small sachets with us from Costa Rica which can easily be added to a bottle of water when necessary. We usually only use them when the weather is very hot. Yes, you can buy them in Spain in any pharmacy.
Point # 1. training: we do a daily, what I call maintenance walk, of approx 6 Kms. This is all year round and mainly through the coffee plantations, which are like many tracks on the Camino. Yesterday we hiked up to a local volcano, a walk very like the roughest forest paths on the Camino. However, I have never once trained with my back pack on, but, I must say that I have not experienced problems when carrying it from Day 1 on a daily basis. We have never started in SSPP, which I personally consider for us, asking for trouble ( long flight, jet lag and age - we are both in our 70's). Our starting point is usually Roncesvalles, also Jaca on the Aragones. Anne

Last edited:

So, here we go….

Very helpful advice. Thank you! I'm particularly interested in the KT Tape, which I've never heard of before. I developed plantar fasciitis when I walked from SJPdP to Santiago in 2012, and still have painful feet. So, is it possible to walk the camino with plantar fasciitis? I would like to return to walk again in 2015.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used kinetic tape on my foot last week to see if it eased some tendon issues and it worked. We leave in 13 days for Le Puy do I may try walking with it on.
I followed youtube instructions and it was critical to do so.

Ok....so as a female the absence of the toilet seat was an issue. With wobbly sore hikers legs, squatting to tinkle did seem like a challenge, but we overcame. However, we had never been exposed to a group shower in a women's bathroom. At first I was a very alarmed American and waited until very late at night to shower without people. But I guess I tried to get over it and just shower like everyone else. Culture shock at it's finest! I did receive more stares showering in my unders than anyone who just jumped in and showered. Wasn't prepared for the shower tree. But it's not a big deal now I guess.
Ha - I showered in my underwear but that's because that's how I washed them. :)

Very helpful advice. Thank you! I'm particularly interested in the KT Tape, which I've never heard of before. I developed plantar fasciitis when I walked from SJPdP to Santiago in 2012, and still have painful feet. So, is it possible to walk the camino with plantar fasciitis? I would like to return to walk again in 2015.

Hi Joanna!
Yes, it's very possible to walk quite comfortably with PF. You should test the tape in training, of course, and as Canucks wisely says below, follow the video instructions on the KT Tape website (or elsewhere) in order to ensure you're applying it properly for best effect. My wife walked her entire Camino without PF pain, so now she's even more excited about returning for another Camino next year! I hope it works for you, too! Best wishes!

T

Hi Joanna!
Yes, it's very possible to walk quite comfortably with PF. You should test the tape in training, of course, and as Canucks wisely says below, follow the video instructions on the KT Tape website (or elsewhere) in order to ensure you're applying it properly for best effect. My wife walked her entire Camino without PF pain, so now she's even more excited about returning for another Camino next year! I hope it works for you, too! Best wishes!

T
Thank you! So glad to have read of this solution. I've tried acupuncture, orthotics, massage and physio trying to cure the PF. Knowing that I can walk the camino with the help of the KT tape is just the best news!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hey Tracker, really great post--and funny points (all serious but, as you wanted, told to us in a great light-hearted manner). Especially the last one!! (I always carried TP...found camping TP here at home; it's the same as regular stuff, only the cardboard roll has been taken out and the paper wrapped tighter. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?!!)

Concerning plantar fasciitis... if you can, if you develop it along the way, find yourself a massage therapist who can work out your calf muscles and front of your legs, and your feet. Roll an ice cold bottle under your feet (provides massage + cold to the inflammed area), massage your calves and feet yourself, stretch your legs and feet, rest, use duct tape, kinesio tape, rest (I know I'm repeating myself...this is a very important point!)...these will all help. Another secret weapon is called the Bowen Technique (bowtech.com). It's a really cool therapy that (in ten words or less) helps your brain 'reboot' the body's ability to self-heal. Unfortunately there are only three practitioners in Spain, but there are thousands of healthcare and medical providers across the planet who practice Bowen (including me! 11 years this June!) If you have PF before you go on your Camino (or after you get back), it might be a great idea to do so the chance of the injury returning is less and your healing is faster. Figuring out why you have PF in the first place will also help it from coming back (little support in your shoes, for example). I've seen "miracle cures" happen with my clients, including one woman who felt her spine adjust on my massage table. Very cool! When I return to the Camino in a couple of years (2015, baby!) I'll gladly show anyone in distress how well it works. :)

I walked the Camino Portuguese last Oct/Nov (highly recommend those months, outside of the rain!) and found that Portugal is not Spain, and Portuguese (the language) is not Spanish. Best to learn some Portuguese--or French--if you want to get communicate. The Portuguese prefer to speak their own language, or English (depending on the age of the person) or French...not Spanish. They are wonderful folks so learning Bom Dia instead of Buenos Dios, will get you a long long long way! (and 'obrigato' if you are a male speaker; 'obrigata' if you are a female speaker, instead of 'muchas gracias', 'perdoe-me' instead of 'perdóneme', 'vinho' instead of 'vino', etc.)... Some seemingly small differences but humungus results!). A smile still is a universal language and easily understood, however!

One thing that I noticed was that while people don't smoke IN the cafes or bars, they will smoke in the doorways. Or at the windows. Or just outside of both. So while technically (and legally) they are not smoking inside, the cigarette smoke comes inside. *Cough cough cough*. It's hard to get away from so sometimes it's best to take an extra large breath of fresh air and move on, I guess! I'll bet if all the Spaniards who were smoking in Spain (I saw this more in Spain then in Portugal) came to North America, they'd be gobsmacked at the no smoking laws and codes here, and how strongly they are enforced...different places, different cultures. One of the ugly things for me about Spain...but no worries, the good far outweighed the bad and the ugly things!

Buen Camino to you who are soon to be walking (or who are walking now) and Bom Caminho to Micheal SG, soon to be walking the Caminho Portuguese!
You'll all come out the other side with great stories, friends experiences, and sense of yourselves!

(Sorry...I always seem to blether on when I write a comment. Can't seem to truncate myself as others can themselves! Hahaha!)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey Tracker, really great post--and funny points (all serious but, as you wanted, told to us in a great light-hearted manner). Especially the last one!! (I always carried TP...found camping TP here at home; it's the same as regular stuff, only the cardboard roll has been taken out and the paper wrapped tighter. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?!!)

Concerning plantar fasciitis... if you can, if you develop it along the way, find yourself a massage therapist who can work out your calf muscles and front of your legs, and your feet. Roll an ice cold bottle under your feet (provides massage + cold to the inflammed area), massage your calves and feet yourself, stretch your legs and feet, rest, use duct tape, kinesio tape, rest (I know I'm repeating myself...this is a very important point!)...these will all help. Another secret weapon is called the Bowen Technique (bowtech.com). It's a really cool therapy that (in ten words or less) helps your brain 'reboot' the body's ability to self-heal. Unfortunately there are only three practitioners in Spain, but there are thousands of healthcare and medical providers across the planet who practice Bowen (including me! 11 years this June!) If you have PF before you go on your Camino (or after you get back), it might be a great idea to do so the chance of the injury returning is less and your healing is faster. Figuring out why you have PF in the first place will also help it from coming back (little support in your shoes, for example). I've seen "miracle cures" happen with my clients, including one woman who felt her spine adjust on my massage table. Very cool! When I return to the Camino in a couple of years (2015, baby!) I'll gladly show anyone in distress how well it works. :)

I walked the Camino Portuguese last Oct/Nov (highly recommend those months, outside of the rain!) and found that Portugal is not Spain, and Portuguese (the language) is not Spanish. Best to learn some Portuguese--or French--if you want to get communicate. The Portuguese prefer to speak their own language, or English (depending on the age of the person) or French...not Spanish. They are wonderful folks so learning Bom Dia instead of Buenos Dios, will get you a long long long way! (and 'obrigato' if you are a male speaker; 'obrigata' if you are a female speaker, instead of 'muchas gracias', 'perdoe-me' instead of 'perdóneme', 'vinho' instead of 'vino', etc.)... Some seemingly small differences but humungus results!). A smile still is a universal language and easily understood, however!

One thing that I noticed was that while people don't smoke IN the cafes or bars, they will smoke in the doorways. Or at the windows. Or just outside of both. So while technically (and legally) they are not smoking inside, the cigarette smoke comes inside. *Cough cough cough*. It's hard to get away from so sometimes it's best to take an extra large breath of fresh air and move on, I guess! I'll bet if all the Spaniards who were smoking in Spain (I saw this more in Spain then in Portugal) came to North America, they'd be gobsmacked at the no smoking laws and codes here, and how strongly they are enforced...different places, different cultures. One of the ugly things for me about Spain...but no worries, the good far outweighed the bad and the ugly things!

Buen Camino to you who are soon to be walking (or who are walking now) and Bom Caminho to Micheal SG, soon to be walking the Caminho Portuguese!
You'll all come out the other side with great stories, friends experiences, and sense of yourselves!

Well.. a few comments here gave some mention, but I still do have a question. I have been plodding through FAQs but could not find anything specific about the smoking issue. Do the Albergues, cafes and such, post designated areas for Smokers and Non Smokers, or do we all breathe it in together?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A large percentage of the Spanish and French population are smokers but there is no smoking allowed in albergues and smoking is limited to outdoors at cafes and restaurants.

That is good to know. I have total respect for other cultures and know that I am a guest in their country, but I do have such an adverse reaction to cigarette smoke; although the tobacco in Spain perhaps might not have the amount of toxins than U.S. U.K. or Canada

O
Well.. a few comments here gave some mention, but I still do have a question. I have been plodding through FAQs but could not find anything specific about the smoking issue. Do the Albergues, cafes and such, post designated areas for Smokers and Non Smokers, or do we all breathe it in together?
With the new laws, no smoking allowed inside public places. You smoke outside, but that could be on a outdoor terrace in warmer weather.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back