• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 Tips from my 4 Caminos...

JAL

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2014
Le Puy-St. Jean 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Norte/Primitivo 2016
Via de la Plata 2017
Hello Pilgrims!

Here are some things that have worked well on my past 4 Caminos:

1. Credencial. Order by mail before you leave home, saves hassle on arriving. I have gotten them from St. James Confraternity online.

2. Order some Euro cash from your bank at home before you leave. Saves panic if your card has problems when you arrive in Europe. So nice to hit the ground ready to walk.

3. Compass. I attached a small liquid-filled compass to my packstrap and found it quite useful.

4. Xtenex shoelaces. These are stretchy laces that turn your shoes into glove-fit slip-ons. You'll slip your shoes off more often with these which is good for your feet.

5. Smartwool T-shirts. "Microweight". Machine washable and dryable and don't get smelly after one wearing.

6. Pepto Bismol. It is magic for curing tummy bummers. Use the tablets, not the liquid. Lighter and can't spill.

7. Leukotape. Supersticky tape for spots like toes that Compeed won't stay stuck to. Amazon has it. Good stuff, stays stuck for days.

8. Sealskinz socks. Waterproof/breathable socks to wear on rainy days. Expensive (US$30) but very much worth it.

9. Don't carry all your money and credit cards in one place. Split them up so you won't be sunk if they are lost or stolen. I keep my passport, some cash, credencial, and a credit card with me at all times. I keep another credit card, cash, and a copy of my passport in my backpack.

10. International Dialing. Dialing a phone number was so much easier once I learned that all calls start with a "+" symbol. You get a "+" by holding down the "0". So simple and saved me so much trouble! "+" and then the country code (Spain is 34) and then the number. Peasy.

I hope these suggestions help. Buen Camino!

John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for this John. I couldn't agree more about the Pepto Bismol (tablets). I was able to help a couple of people on the Camino with these. They seemed surprised that it helped so much. It's the only 'medication' I take when volunteering in India.

Some good tips there, and my own experience is only with the Camino Frances, but I never had to wait in a line to get my credential in St Jean, and it was always easy and fast. Also, I enjoy getting the credential there, and picking up the latest list of albergues on the CF and chatting with the volunteers. All part of the total experience for me.
Compass? Never needed on on the CF, but still good to have I suppose. Doesn't hurt to bring one.
Never needed waterproof socks. Was never cold on the days I was rained on, so no problem with feet getting wet. I suppose on a colder weather Camino could come in handy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
haha - @Eve Alexandra hasn't been around long but she's well on the way to becoming one of the forum characters!
She'll be back at the end of summer telling newbies not to worry, everything works out just fine, most of our choices are between two good options and not good or bad!

haha - @Eve Alexandra hasn't been around long but she's well on the way to becoming one of the forum characters!
She'll be back at the end of summer telling newbies not to worry, everything works out just fine, most of our choices are between two good options and not good or bad!
DITTO :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

lol Well yeah, maybe.... :p

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh no! Are you serious? What are you saying? Having watched a few snowy youtubes taken around the time I'm walking, I've just bought online an expensive and rather heavy pair of waterproof socks. Did a test wash and drying time was way longer than anything else I am carrying. But I'm walking across the Pyrenees starting 2 April in trailrunners that are most definitely NOT water/snowproof. These socks are supposed to be my insurance against frost bitten toes.

Oh no! Are you serious? What are you saying? Having watched a few snowy youtubes taken around the time I'm walking, I've just bought online an expensive and rather heavy pair of waterproof socks. Did a test wash and drying time was way longer than anything else I am carrying. But I'm walking across the Pyrenees starting 2 April in trailrunners that are most definitely NOT water/snowproof. These socks are supposed to be my insurance against frost bitten toes.

HedaP, you're good too! No worries. If you've bought those socks, they fit you well, and they give you peace of mind, then wear them. We were just teasing Eve 'cause she keeps stressing about new things to buy when she's already gotten her kit together just fine. ( :p Eve!)

The bigger issue though is that April 2nd is early in the season, and if it is snowy enough for you to worry about slogging through with frost bitten toes, then it's probably not safe for you to take that route in the first place (if it's even open). If the trail is covered in snow, and you are not an experienced route finder, then walk the Valcarlos way.

HedaP, you're good too! No worries. If you've bought those socks, they fit you well, and they give you peace of mind, then wear them. We were just teasing Eve 'cause she keeps stressing about new things to buy when she's already gotten her kit together just fine. ( :p Eve!)

The bigger issue though is that April 2nd is early in the season, and if it is snowy enough for you to worry about slogging through with frost bitten toes, then it's probably not safe for you to take that route in the first place (if it's even open). If the trail is covered in snow, and you are not an experienced route finder, then walk the Valcarlos way.
Phew!
BTW have already decided to walk the Valcarlos route but apparently it can get snowy too or at least that's according to various blogs and youtubes. What would we do without the Internet? Get less anxious maybe? :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I might buy some seal skin socks , they'll go well with my moleskin trousers :)
And , as an afterthought, my Hound's tooth jacket and Beaver tail hat .

Last edited:

I would say your chances of being able to walk the Napoleon route on April 2nd would be 50/50 at the best. We started April 8th last year and it was closed until mid-April we heard later.
We walked the Vacarlos route and still walked in snow the last 2 hours into Roncesvalles.
In April, you will have lots of opportunity to test your water proof socks based on my experience on our past 3 Camino's in April!
Overall, April is a great time to go, less people, no accomodations worries and lower Temps make the walking very pleasant. Everything is so green and lush in the spring.

[QUOTE="ZREXER, post: 486722, member: 56069"
In April, you will have lots of opportunity to test your water proof socks based on my experience on our past 3 Camino's in April!

Is there very much mud in early April?[/QUOTE]
Mud is actually a Spanish specialty. Much of Spain has a lot of clay in it's soil, so when it is wet, it becomes a greasy mess. We have been fortunate that when we encountered some of the worst muddy sections, it was not actively raining so with a little planning were able to skirt the deepest looking sections. Trekking poles are helpful when playing hopscotch over the muddy areas.
Keep in mind that many sections of the Camino are also used by local ranchers/shepherds to drive their animals, so in addition to the clay, you can also get some manure mixed in as well.
Overall, April can be a very rainy month, but in the last three years we have been fortunate. Our first couple of days to Roncesvalles and Zubri last year were probably the most challenging in regards to mud and snow.
Still April is a great month to experience the Camino as you avoid the biggest crowds and the often blistering temperatures of summer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
IMG_0094.JPG IMG_0971.JPG Mud? The stream on the left of the photo was the path in April last year (before Rabanal). As the water subsided the mud was impossible to walk on in places. That said, I love that weather. One of my best days walking .

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.