• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 to 12 days on Camino Frances this November...?

bogusia

Hello,

I'm new to this forum as well as to solo travelling so would really appreciate any advice...!I'm looking into 10 to 12 days walking of Camino Frances this November, starting around the 7th November. As a mountain lover I would like to cross some 'higher elevations' on my first camino route, would you suggest walking the first part of the camino starting from SJPP or rather from Astorga to Santiago, considering this time of the year and weather...? Also, in case of the former, how far could I get walking around 25km/day...?
Apologies for some silly novice questions and thank you in advance for any tips and hints...:)

Bogusia

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As a mountain lover I would like to cross some 'higher elevations' on my first camino route, would you suggest walking the first part of the camino starting from SJPP or rather from Astorga to Santiago.

Cruz de Ferro is located at the highest elevation on the camino ... which is probably the original reason for the cairn being located there. Alto do Polo is located at the second highest point on the camino. So if it is elevation you are after then I would recommend starting at Astorga.

You have a reasonable chance of reaching Santiago from Astorga (264 km) in 12 days.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good question (I think you already know that 25 x 12 is 300 ;)) - it really depends upon why you want to do the Camino and whether you think you may return ... if you can go back in later years then there is a lot to be said for starting at St Jean and walking until you have run out of time - then your 25 a day isn't a fixed thing, you would be free to walk or not walk, have a short day or a long day, a day off if you need/want one. 12 days would take you to Burgos - a large city with an airport and major line rail station.
You would only 'get' one mountain range, over to Roncesvalles, but you would be walking the Camino, with all its variety and those high places would still be there on later visits.

If you want to 'do' mountain ranges rather than be a pilgrim processing towards Santiago in the traditional way then you could walk St Jean to Pamplona and then jump ahead to walk the other high sections - though, it isn't climbing mountains out there, just pleasant paths rising high ... though ... if it is mountain walking you want rather than the pilgrimage .. there is a west to east (and obviously east to west!) trail that goes across the length of the Pyrenees ....

Hello,

I'm new to this forum as well as to solo travelling so would really appreciate any advice...!I'm looking into 10 to 12 days walking of Camino Frances this November, starting around the 7th November. As a mountain lover I would like to cross some 'higher elevations' on my first camino route, would you suggest walking the first part of the camino starting from SJPP or rather from Astorga to Santiago, considering this time of the year and weather...? Also, in case of the former, how far could I get walking around 25km/day...?
Apologies for some silly novice questions and thank you in advance for any tips and hints...:)

Bogusia

starting in SJPP you would have two days of mountains, then it gets flat (with hills), you would then lose a day or more crossing spain (assuing you want to end in santiago). starting in astorga, you get hills all the way to santiago and a 'small mountain range (1300 metres is not very impressive), which is beautiful but hardly a challenge if you are used to hiking in mountains (doubtful you'll see or get snow). the Camino (at least not the French Way in Spain) is not a mountain route at all but a succession of hills, some flat areas and lots of little towns and hamlets.

as it's november, i would double check the hostels on route and not assume they will be open.

Thank you to all of you for your answers!
I'm not interested in 'jumping' from one mountain section to another but rather the whole camino experience. As I wont have enough time for the whole route I was considering either the first or the last section and having some mountain views on my way would be a 'bonus':)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,

Bogusia
Welcome to the forum. I had the same dilemma this September. Ended up walking from St Jean to Burgos in 12 days. It was amazing, averaging about 25km a day. Burgos was a beautiful place to aim for and visit. It will also be a great place to pick up the camino again in the future. Buen Camino

Per you indication of higher elevations preference, I would start in SJPDP, walk thru Puente La Reina. Bus/train to Astorga, walk to Sarria. This is solely based on your stated desire for higher elevations and no mention on Compostela nor cities sightseeing. I think these sections are beautiful.

Walk from st Jean. :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back