• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 Top Tips for Walking the Camino Francés

• Thread starter Deleted member 84269
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 84269

Can anyone add to these tips that I've found very useful?

1. Pack flip flops to give your feet some air and kick off your boots when you finish walking for the day.
  2. Take a dictaphone – walk, think and talk. You’ll be surprised at how good your brain is at untying mental spaghetti when you switch off your smart phone – studies have shown we look at them an average 150 times per day and will spend five years staring at a screen by the time we die – and escape into nature. Capture that camino consciousness on your dictaphone.
  3. Make snacks easily accessible when on the road. When you’re tired and in need of a quick shot of energy the last thing you want is for that banana to be at the bottom of your backpack. Keep snacks and water in side pockets or best case scenario, in short/trouser pockets.
  4. Carry safety pins to attach wet clothes onto your rucksack so they can dry while you walk. You may have to show the world your power rangers underwear but at least they won’t be wet. Carry some pegs too. These little commodities are like gold dust at the albergues and essential for making sure your clothes haven’t been blown off the line all the way to Finisterre.
  5. Put all your valuables in your sleeping bag while you sleep. If anyone wants to get them they’ll think twice if they have to get close to your crown jewels.
  6. Have some spare change in pockets.
Picture it: you’ve walked 20km for 8 hours in thirty degree heat without a break. You see that cafe/shop up ahead open. If you’ve got a few euros in your pocket, you dig in, pay up and instantly savour that drink you’d been dreaming of. That is unless you’ve got to rummage in your rucksack and waste valuable time and energy trying to find some coins. Now you’re at the back of the queue and have to wait behind five fellow ‘grinos who had spare change in their pockets.

7. Break in your boots! Though your new boots may look shiny and impress your fellow ‘grinos, if you don’t break them in before leaving, get ready for biting blisters.

8. Pack earplugs and a blind fold to silence snoring, flatulence and shield your eyes from torch wielders at albergues.

9. Buy a flexiflask. Fits into your side pocket and has a straw that extends over your shoulder that you can draw water from to hydrate on the move. Saves wasting energy taking your backpack off when you want a drink.

10. Put high vis/reflective stickers on rucksack (including straps) for roadside walking and travelling in the dark. While 500km is holding hands with mother nature and 200km on quiet roads, almost 100km is alongside busy roads

Bonus Tip:

11. Use your sleeping bag stuff sack to carry around passport, wallet and other valuables when you’ve finished walking for the day and want to explore where you’re staying.

[ivar added the blog post linked in the link below]

https://caminosantiagoblogcom.wordp...-top-tips-for-walking-the-camino-de-santiago/

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You don't need a head torch to use the bathroom in fact you will likely be a pain in a*** with one. A small low output torch shone on the floor will stop stubbed toes and not wake others.

I've never had anyone complain about use of a head lamp and also helpful for pre-sunrise hours. I think if used in a conscientious way you wouldn't be a pain in the proverbial.

Do you wear it on your head at night in the albergues when people are trying to sleep? If so, and no no has said anything I think that they are just being polite.
Yes. They are just being polite. Why anybody think a headlight doesn't bother others is a mystery to me. Why not just take a flashlight and shine it directly into people's faces? It accomplishes the same thing.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've never had anyone complain about use of a head lamp and also helpful for pre-sunrise hours. I think if used in a conscientious way you wouldn't be a pain in the proverbial.

That's because most people in dormitories are too tired and when woken tend to be too polite, they swear quietly, roll over and go back to sleep. Head torches have their place if you are walking before first lighter late into the evening but not in dormitories.

I'm genuinely surprised at the reaction to head lamps and had no idea they'd be such a topic of mass debate (or hate!) The last thing I would want to do is annoy someone or wake them up so I'll certainly reconsider having that on the tips (or delete it).

Please understand I'm writing this blog because I'm trying to share my experience and have people learn from wonderful time walking in Spain. My intentions are well-meaning. No probs if the headlamp comes off the the list. The rest of the tips I hope will be useful and able to put to good use. Like I wrote, I'm just trying to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm genuinely surprised at the reaction to head lamps and had no idea they'd be such a topic of mass debate (or hate!) The last thing I would want to do is annoy someone or wake them up so I'll certainly reconsider having that on the tips (or delete it).

Please understand I'm writing this blog because I'm trying to share my experience and have people learn from wonderful time walking in Spain. My intentions are well-meaning. No probs if the headlamp comes off the the list. The rest of the tips I hope will be useful and able to put to good use. Like I wrote, I'm just trying to help.
Keep the headlight, just use it in a way that won't annoy other pilgrims.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used a small single-LED keychain light that has a low power setting for those early morning and late night needs. I would only use the light until I knew I was free of obstacles and knew my way, then I would turn it off. Of course, if I didn’t need it and could see okay I wouldn’t use it. When using it I would keep it pointed at the floor.

I’ve seen single-LED tent lights that have a red light color, which is supposed to be much better in the dark. I might think about picking up one of those.

I’ve seen single-LED tent lights that have a red light color, which is supposed to be much better in the dark. I might think about picking up one of those.
I have a tiny headlamp that has both red and white lights. I can hold it my hand, facing down in the albergues. But I tend to just use the light from my phone for middle of the night bathroom trips

I hereby officially complain regarding the use of headlamps inside albergues - unless you keep it on your hand, directed at your feet while stumbling to the toilets.

Using a headlamp while walking outside, if you start before dawn, is fine.

I stopped bringing a headlamp several years ago. The light on my phone is sufficient to get me to the loo.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I present for your delectation these.

1539942021635.png

Cheap, small, weigh virtually nothing, with a beam bright enough to negotiate a dark albergue but barely visible from any angle other than head on.

I got mine free from somewhere so sadly lack the delighful?? "home kitty" inscription.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I hereby officially complain regarding the use of headlamps inside albergues - unless you keep it on your hand, directed at your feet while stumbling to the toilets.

Using a headlamp while walking outside, if you start before dawn, is fine.

I stopped bringing a headlamp several years ago. The light on my phone is sufficient to get me to the loo.

i've deleted it:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great tip too but you've still got to dry them... so many times I wished I had my own pegs after washing. And if it rains? Those safety pins would come in handy the next day.

Ah, but if you've finished your washing first you get first dibs on what clothes pegs there are :)

Admittedly both my caminos have been in good weather but I've never had use for either of these items. I tend to just drape my things on the line rather than use pegs (and in fact when I have used them I often get a wet patch around the peg when everything else is dry). And if anything was still wet most decent backpacks have a mutitude of attachment points these days.

It's your list and your experience and it's good of you to compile it to help others, I just think two spots in a top 10 dedicated to hanging washing is overkill, maybe combine them into one? Or again to stop the problem before it happens have the tip "make sure you wear quick drying materials- drying options may be limited."

Do you wear it on your head at night in the albergues when people are trying to sleep? If so, and no no has said anything I think that they are just being polite.

New verse for the "Smurf Song"
Do you wear your lamp in bed?
Yes, my lamp stays on my head!

headlamp.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah, but if you've finished your washing first you get first dibs on what clothes pegs there are :)

Admittedly both my caminos have been in good weather but I've never had use for either of these items. I tend to just drape my things on the line rather than use pegs (and in fact when I have used them I often get a wet patch around the peg when everything else is dry). And if anything was still wet most decent backpacks have a mutitude of attachment points these days.

It's your list and your experience and it's good of you to compile it to help others, I just think two spots in a top 10 dedicated to hanging washing is overkill, maybe combine them into one? Or again to stop the problem before it happens have the tip "make sure you wear quick drying materials- drying options may be limited."

And the prize for best unintentional "double-entendre" of the day goes to . . . . . "I often get a wet patch around the peg when everything else is dry"

(sorry, I'm in a mood today :))

Last edited:
And the prize for best unintentional "double-entendre" of the day goes to . . . . . "I often get a wet patch around the peg when everything else is dry"

(sorry, I'm in an mood today :))

Badoom-tish. Here all week, try the lobster.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Headlamps no complaints?? yes because most pilgrims don’t complain, trust me these pre dawn pests who wake everybody up with no regards to anybody but themselves were the only thing that got on my nerves in the mornings. Basically all you have to do is hop up put everything in your sleeping bag or silk pick your pack up in the other hand and walk outside or out to the foyer and get ready for the road. Nothing peeves the sleeping pilgrim off more than these disorganised rustlers light shiners and noise bandits who take up to an hour to get ready in the mornings. It’s usually a reflection of their normal life.... but who are we to judge we simply bite our tongues shake our heads and persevere with broken sleep for the next hour before the light comes on at 6am. Just saying

New verse for the "Smurf Song"
Do you wear your lamp in bed?
Yes, my lamp stays on my head!

View attachment 47721
Headlamps no complaints?? yes because most pilgrims don’t complain, trust me these pre dawn pests who wake everybody up with no regards to anybody but themselves were the only thing that got on my nerves in the mornings. Basically all you have to do is hop up put everything in your sleeping bag or silk pick your pack up in the other hand and walk outside or out to the foyer and get ready for the road. Nothing peeves the sleeping pilgrim off more than these disorganised rustlers light shiners and noise bandits who take up to an hour to get ready in the mornings. It’s usually a reflection of their normal life.... but who are we to judge we simply bite our tongues shake our heads and persevere with broken sleep for the next hour before the light comes on at 6am. Just saying

Point taken and deleted off the list:)

I used a small single-LED keychain light that has a low power setting for those early morning and late night needs. I would only use the light until I knew I was free of obstacles and knew my way, then I would turn it off. Of course, if I didn’t need it and could see okay I wouldn’t use it. When using it I would keep it pointed at the floor.

I have a headlamp that incorporates a red light for unobtrusive use in the darkness of the alberge.it is an invaluable aid and one of the first things i pack .having said that i always have one in my daysack,even at home.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I present for your delectation these.

View attachment 47717

Cheap, small, weigh virtually nothing, with a beam bright enough to negotiate a dark albergue but barely visible from any angle other than head on.

I got mine free from somewhere so sadly lack the delighful?? "home kitty" inscription.

If you live in the US, you can get a powerful keyring light like this at REI:
https://www.rei.com/product/858827/inova-microlight-sts-keychain-flashlight

They are made by Inova.

Great tip too but you've still got to dry them... so many times I wished I had my own pegs after washing. And if it rains? Those safety pins would come in handy the next day.

That's why you carry large safety pins ;)
Like many, I carry my own washing line too. weighs nothing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Found most albergues to have plenty of light to see your way to the toilets without needing an extra light. Exit signs, smoke alarms, outside light.
(Well, except for that church where I broke my wrist)

Have my own plastic clothes pins. Prefer them to safety pins for my laundry.

I don't remember having complained about people using a head lamp, but I definitely have been bothered by them. Not only in the dormitory, but more outside in the dark. The problem is, when someone with the head lamp says something to you he/she also looks at you. And so does the lamp...
Do use it by all means but if together with others, it's quite possible to keep it in your hand.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't remember having complained about people using a head lamp, but I definitely have been bothered by them. Not only in the dormitory, but more outside in the dark. The problem is, when someone with the head lamp says something to you he/she also looks at you. And so does the lamp...
Do use it by all means but if together with others, it's quite possible to keep it in your hand.
The better ones have a hinge so you can point them down at the ground where you need the light rather than up in someone's face.

My headlight has a red (night vision) LED which I used if getting up in the dark to leave early. I held it in my hand and aimed the light towards the floor, so as not to shine directly at people sleeping. Personally, I found most sleep disturbance was caused by people sorting out their rucksacks while others were asleep, snoring loudly, banging doors, coughs and sneezes - but isn't sleep deprivation, annoying night and light activity part of the experience? Embrace it with a softness and try not to get upset with these things. People will not always think of others around them - I don't think anyone deliberately sets out to disturb other people, but with several strangers all sleeping in a dormitory in bunk beds it's a given that sleeping well and comfortably is not going to happen every night. I had good nights and bad nights just as I had good days and bad days, but I loved every minute of it.

You don't need a head torch to use the bathroom in fact you will likely be a pain in a*** with one. A small low output torch shone on the floor will stop stubbed toes and not wake others.
The subtle glow from my iPhone screen has been enough to avoid a stubbed toe

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

For decades I have used a Timex with Indiglo to light my way at home. Worked just as well on the Camino. After using the head and becoming night blind, I just waited outside the door and waited till my vision returned before using my watch to return to my bunk.

Die hoofdlampen gedragen zich als een vuurtoren!

Die hoofdlampen gedragen zich als een vuurtoren!

Gersevink, not everyone on this forum understands Dutch (I know this is a shame, but something we have to live with). But I agree with you.

These headlamps behave like a lighthouse !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back