• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

100,000th Pilgrim arrives... earlier than last year...

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
I just came across this article in La Voz de Galicia / Santiago:

It contains interesting information of import to all of us. Just FYI, my return for a month working at the Pilgrim Office, pictured in the photo, is on 12 July.

Things are getting busier there. Thinking about helping out to give back... see my forum thread: "Volunteering in the Pilgrim Office at Santiago" for everything you need to know.

Hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I guess the Oficina already has a Masterplan to cope with the next Holy Year?

It is a work in progress. But I can tell you that plans are afoot to house up two dozen volunteers at a go. By way of comparison, they currently only house up to five.

That is a simple indicator of the seriousness of what is coming. What is the word for "tsunami" in Spanish...?

When I return in July, I plan to engage management in some conversations about what their thinking and advance planning is for 2021. Were I a paid consultant, I would offer them sage advice and formal recommendations on improving the process and processing.

But, as an unpaid volunteer, I must sit at their collective knees, listen, do what I am told, and only indirectly try to get other staff to submit MY ideas as theirs. I am used to this after six years as a volunteer. Some of my ideas have been adopted, and have made positive changes.

This is all a work in progress. I am certain I shall be surprised at what they cobble together eventually. Somehow, I KNOW it will work. They always manage to pull it out at the last minute. Viva la España!

In my experience, the terms masterplan and Spain appear to be an oxymoron. But, things generally all work out in the end. I remain confident.

Hope this helps.

I forgot to add that I encourage everyone who has done at least one Camino (any Camino) and who is considering it to volunteer to help out, especially next year and the Holy Year in 2021.

Have a look at my specific forum thread: "Volunteering in the Pilgrim Office at Santiago." It explains everything you need to know.

You will not regret it. It is literally the high point of my year. I spend one month in Santiago each summer, from mid-July to mid-August. It gets me out of the very hot and humid South Florida environment I live in, while allowing me to give back to the Camino community. I get to live in Santiago for a month. This allows me to see friends and make new friends. I enjoy this immensely and like to give back.

Only a two week commitment is required. I serve a month, because I have done so for the past six years. This has become my second family.

See you there...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is all a work in progress. I am certain I shall be surprised at what they cobble together eventually. Somehow, I KNOW it will work. They always manage to pull it out at the last minute. Viva la España!

In my experience, the terms masterplan and Spain appear to be an oxymoron. But, things generally all work out in the end. I remain confident.

Hope this helps.

When you say Spain you should say Xunta de Galicia and Santiago town hall that I think have all the responsability in the event.

Actually, despite all the cooperation and coordination, or apparent lack of same, from local or regional governments, the ultimate burden for pilgrim processing falls on the Cathedral hierarchy. Once the pilgrims step onto Church property...the Pilgrim Office... the entire process problem is squarely and solely the purview of the Cathedral administration. That is why I focus my observations and suggestion at that level.

Of course, the entirety of the staff, both clerical and lay persons are from all over Spain. While a number of the paid staff are from Galicia and from close in Santiago, they represent most regions of Spain, from Mallorca to Madrid, to Sevilla, to Barcelona, Pontevedra, etc. I think the only hometown or area I have not heard yet over the six years I have been helping out is Ceuta.

Allow me to be clear, I LOVE Spain and the Spanish people. I wish I could move there. But, I well know that every culture and society has mores, behaviors, and attitudes particular to that society. Every society on earth has these peculiarities.

I just happen to see the manifestation of 'chaos theory' in play in Spain. It is a happy, polite, professional, yet somewhat disjointed series of independent groups and efforts that somehow manage to pull it through. I find that both amazing from a professional perspective, but very endearing and charming from a personal perspective.

I hope this clarifies. I was NEVER trying to slight the Spanish people. Quite the contrary. It may not have been easy to explain, but I am in awe of how things manage to get accomplished despite everything.

Last edited:
I forgot to add that I encourage everyone who has done at least one Camino (any Camino) and who is considering it to volunteer to help out, especially next year and the Holy Year in 2021.

Have a look at my specific forum thread: "Volunteering in the Pilgrim Office at Santiago." It explains everything you need to know.

You will not regret it. It is literally the high point of my year. I spend one month in Santiago each summer, from mid-July to mid-August. It gets me out of the very hot and humid South Florida environment I live in, while allowing me to give back to the Camino community. I get to live in Santiago for a month. This allows me to see friends and make new friends. I enjoy this immensely and like to give back.

Only a two week commitment is required. I serve a month, because I have done so for the past six years. This has become my second family.

See you there...
I was unaware of this opportunity and since I too suffer the hot and humid Sarasota, Florida summers I plan to look into this opportunity. Thank you

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back