• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1000 Mile Sock

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese "2014" from Tui to Santiago
Camino Norte "April 2016"
Heading out tomorrow (April 14th) for Bilbao and our next month on the Camino del Norte. Backpack is packed and weighs in at under 10% of my body weight - only missing one thing... socks! We ordered 4 pairs of "1000 Mile Socks" from Vancouver, BC, Canada, 3 weeks ago and still no socks. We thought that we'd have lots of time to train in them, but no. The last shipping update was 12 days ago and I contacted the company and they haven't even gotten back to me. Not impressed.

So today, the day before we leave, I will spend trying to find a couple good pair of socks, which will keep my feet dry, no hot spots, NO blisters, quick drying etc. I was really hoping for double layer, but have not found any with Smart Wool and other merino socks. HELP. Any advice on a great sock that I can buy here on the westcoast of Canada?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I haven't tried this yet, but I have read where people have had good results using cheap knee high nylons stockings as liner socks. They cost little and weight practically nothing. You could use them under any merino socks.

Until my feet toughened up, I used thin, synthetic liner socks under a pair of smartwools while section hiking the Appalachian Trail. For example, https://www.rei.com/product/860633/...-8606330002&CAWELAID=120217890000811136&lsft=

I'd usually bring 2-3 pair, so that I could switch out to dry/clean ones when needed. There are definitely cheaper alternatives to the REI socks, but those are the ones that worked best for me.

After over a thousand miles (and more importantly, after I switched to trail runners), I was able to use just the smartwools.

I AM bringing the liners when I start next week, since I haven't been hiking much lately.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't know if "Wright Socks" are available in your area. See if you can find them. They are amazing! I have the "cool max" version. they have a built in inner liner. This is what I am bringing next month along with a padded Marino wool pair to wear with my trekking sandals. Good luck. I ordered some special underwear and hadn't received them. When I went to the site to look up my order, I found that it was still sitting in my order basket !!!Somehow, I hadn't completed my order. :confused: I hope they come in time. Good luch

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hope it's ok to post a question within this one regarding Smart Wool. I was given two pairs a few years ago any they are marvelous for keeping warm but I couldn't imagine walking long distances in these especially in warm weather. Are there thinner versions of these or are people more hardy to the warmth?

I don't know if "Wright Socks" are available in your area. See if you can find them. They are amazing! I have the "cool max" version. they have a built in inner liner. This is what I am bringing next month along with a padded Marino wool pair to wear with my trekking sandals. Good luck. I ordered some special underwear and hadn't received them. When I went to the site to look up my order, I found that it was still sitting in my order basket !!!Somehow, I hadn't completed my order. :confused: I hope they come in time. Good luch
Sorry Joodle but you should know that only British men of a certain age are allowed to wear socks with sandles. Anyone else will be imprisoned by the good taste police and played John Denver albums on a continuous loop until they repent.

Sorry Joodle but you should know that only British men of a certain age are allowed to wear socks with sandles. Anyone else will be imprisoned by the good taste police and played John Denver albums on a continuous loop until they repent.
I like John Denver.The only song that would lead to my demise would be "thank God I'm a country boy"

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am turning 60 next week, so I am of a certain age:pActually, I was told that it is "Camino chic" to wear socks with hiking sandals while on the Camino. (But I would gladly listen to John Denver albums, I loved that little guy)

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the socks :( I actually brought a pair of 1000 mile socks with me last year as my "spare socks" To be honest...I didn't like them too much. I prefer my medium thick hiking socks from Thorlo. They stay dry ALL day and give some nice cushioning.They work best for me.....obviously everybody is different ! But that doesn't help you now there you are about to leave !!!! Maybe try some Leukotape before you start walking, now you don't have a chance to buy socks and try them out. Buy it in a pharmacia and just put the tape on your sensitive spots (often heels, little toes and under ball of feet) good luck and Buen Camino !

Last edited:
I am turning 60 next week, so I am of a certain age:pActually, I was told that it is "Camino chic" to wear socks with hiking sandals while on the Camino. (But I would gladly listen to John Denver albums, I loved that little guy)
You'd be surprised how popular the song "Country Roads" still is in Europe and Asia.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I hope it's ok to post a question within this one regarding Smart Wool. I was given two pairs a few years ago any they are marvelous for keeping warm but I couldn't imagine walking long distances in these especially in warm weather. Are there thinner versions of these or are people more hardy to the warmth?
In my sock hunt today, I found "Smartwool" Ultra Light socks which were more lightweight than any I have seen. Very nice.

Thanks - I loved Wright Socks for running but have had a hard time finding ones that are more than anklets.

Until my feet toughened up, I used thin, synthetic liner socks under a pair of smartwools while section hiking the Appalachian Trail. For example, https://www.rei.com/product/860633/...-8606330002&CAWELAID=120217890000811136&lsft=

I'd usually bring 2-3 pair, so that I could switch out to dry/clean ones when needed. There are definitely cheaper alternatives to the REI socks, but those are the ones that worked best for me.

After over a thousand miles (and more importantly, after I switched to trail runners), I was able to use just the smartwools.

I AM bringing the liners when I start next week, since I haven't been hiking much lately.

Thanks Richard, these REI socks sure had great reviews. In Canada we have Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC), very similar to REI and where I went today and got some Wigwam synthetic liners. I was happy with them when I bought them, then read the online reviews when I got home which were not good, mainly because of bad quality and the toe seam. I tried them on with my merino wool socks and put my boots on. When I took them off, I noticed a hole and run in them already. So, tomorrow, our departure day I am making a trip to REI to buy the ones you have mentioned above. I can honestly say that never in my life have socks been the cause of my stress.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are thinner versions.

Heading out tomorrow (April 14th) for Bilbao and our next month on the Camino del Norte. Backpack is packed and weighs in at under 10% of my body weight - only missing one thing... socks! We ordered 4 pairs of "1000 Mile Socks" from Vancouver, BC, Canada, 3 weeks ago and still no socks. We thought that we'd have lots of time to train in them, but no. The last shipping update was 12 days ago and I contacted the company and they haven't even gotten back to me. Not impressed.

Hi Jacquie - hope you have/had an uneventful journey to Bilbao.

I tried 1000 mile socks and I really didn't like them. My absolute favourite socks are the Spanish Lurbel brand - which you should hopefully be able to get in a sports or outdoor shop in Bilbao. There are lots of different styles. If you walk in shoes, I highly recommend the technical trail running ones. If you wear boots, there are longer versions that will hopefully suit you. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

So today, the day before we leave, I will spend trying to find a couple good pair of socks, which will keep my feet dry, no hot spots, NO blisters, quick drying etc. I was really hoping for double layer, but have not found any with Smart Wool and other merino socks. HELP. Any advice on a great sock that I can buy here on the westcoast of Canada?
I bought 100 mile socks and even though I didn't walk 1000miles I did :) walk 12 hour days and never a hint of a blister .

I think I have it covered... One or hopefully all of these should work. If not, we'll be walking a week before we hit Bilbao again, so can adjust with one of the Spanish Sports stores there. Seriously not happy with the customer service at 1000 Mile Socks. Not sure why my socks have still not arrived after 3 weeks, not a word from them or a tracking update for 2 weeks. And I had an order from the Confraturnity of St. James (Posted from England to Canada that took under a week to get here. Leaving for our flight in 4 hours... better pack my socks. Camino del Norte here we come!!!!:):p:D

image.jpeg

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.