• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

100km...start Ourense or Vigo or..?

holhum

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Leon to Santiago June 2019
I walked Leon to Santiago this year and would like to go back with my husband and just do 100km but NOT from Sarria as it is so busy. I want a really scenic walk that can be done in 15km stages as walking 20+ daily gave me injuries. I’m not athletic so I’m think the northern routes are probably too hard. Any advice gratefully received.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Portuguese Camino is very easy. Not that impressive in terms of landscape, but the food and history is amazing.

Can't say anything about the Primitivo, as I have not walked that trail... yet. :)

Hi, if I was going for a short walk to Santiago then I'd start in Ourense. Allow for at least a day there and soak in the free hot water pool by the river before heading up and out towards Santiago. Yes the first day is up hill but it's not so bad and what ever route you take going to go up and down a bit, it is the matter geography of the Provence. Good infrastructure on all of these routes and if I had to settle on a second option it would be the English Way from Ferrol and then the Pourtugies from Tui. Happy walking, very few of us are athletes,it's the time and commitment to your Camino that matters.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I second the recommendation for Ourense. You probably need a bit more planning for accommodation than CP and CF, but I have done it twice and prefer it to the CP last 100.

The Portuguese Camino is very easy. Not that impressive in terms of landscape, but the food and history is amazing.

Can't say anything about the Primitivo, as I have not walked that trail... yet. :)

I consider way by coast is amazing.
However, sometimes is worth getting out the standard camino.
Crossing the estuary from Vigo to Moaña by ferry, for instance, is an amazing experience. Sometimes you even may see dolphins, specially on spring or late summer and early fall.
You can see images of the forest path across Moaña at this blog:

You can find several useful facilities on the way as the public market of fish and vegetables, the care center and a hostel in the forest (with fantastic sport courts).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I also recommend starting from Ourense. It was my introduction to the Camino.
Very easy travel by train from SdC to Ourense to get started. Good places to stay and eat in Ourense before starting.
A bit confusing at the beginning from the city as the way markers are difficult to find, but very enjoyable once you get started - a nice climb to start with.
If possible aim to go to the monastery at Osiera as it was a highlight of my trip.

Just finished second walk from Ferrol and it was a joy despite a bit of rain and some ups and downs along the way. Ourense was my first trip away with the lads and holds many great memories too and is definitely one I hope to repeat again soon.
Our Vigo trip got a bit too comfortable for 6 of us a few years ago and we only made it as far as Pontevedra which was a great spot... hence the extra time spent there and surrounding towns and villages. We visited a small festival at Casa Angelita on the coast, went into Combarro for an evening feed and stayed at Hotel Liñares with it's great swimming pool and host...too easily way laid but we loved our time there and have no regrets...we'll finish it off together someday when we are able to fit it in!
All three great options, just pick one and go for it; you'll have a blast wherever you go!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also recommend starting from Ourense. It was my introduction to the Camino.
Very easy travel by train from SdC to Ourense to get started. Good places to stay and eat in Ourense before starting.
A bit confusing at the beginning from the city as the way markers are difficult to find, but very enjoyable once you get started - a nice climb to start with.
If possible aim to go to the monastery at Osiera as it was a highlight of my trip.
Hi,
Made plans to do Sarria-SDC next week. But due to logistics of getting to Sarria and time factor may revise plans and start from Ourense instead. Where can I get more info besides Gronz? I can't get my head round it. Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back