• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

104 days to go and able to resume walking!

deano5

Time of past OR future Camino
May or September 2023
wow! What an end of 2022 and start of 2023! Of all things to cause my first severe gout attack……paella!
Daughter came to visit for Christmas and requested I make paella, have always had calamari , shrimp , scallops, mussels along with a little chorizo and chicken in It. Got up the next morning and my ankle/ foot was swollen and painful. I knew or guessed it was gout. Started ibuprofen and rest and ice, thought it had improved over the rest of the week and then it flared again so bad that my skin hurt and was itchy. Finally went to the urgent care on the 2nd , Dr. walked in and said that was classic gout! 2nd person that day to come in with it, gave me meds and head home.
Meanwhile back on the ranch we had a main drain connection for septic/sewer break and that needed repaired. Crawl space was the location and I was on crutches. Long story short wife came through after the plumbers quoted a ridiculous price and we managed as a team to fix that. 2 days later I hear a noise as I am heading to the restroom , sounded like our furnace fan was loud, opened restr door and there was a flood! A 90 degree connection had busted! Hobbled to the water shutoff and stopped it!
Meanwhile after 10 days of dealing with the gout and it’s after effects from all of the swelling I visited my Dr . Doing a round of prednisone and then a daily gout medicine.
Very little walking between the 26th until the 16th. Finally got in a few miles yesterday! Whew!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Glad you’re on the mend and walking again. Nothing but upwards and onwards from here!
Would love to agree but have to disagree as I live 2 floors up and no lift hence it is more likely to be downwards and backwards after recent very bad fall ! I also have an incurable balance problem. am doing physio etc but I'm crawling the walls as outside is clear and bright! Ah well, as my dear departed mammy used to say " there's a good day coming in the morning " :) Ya gotta laff. Take care and don't be taking to the sup :)

Samarkand.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
wow! What an end of 2022 and start of 2023! Of all things to cause my first severe gout attack……paella!
Daughter came to visit for Christmas and requested I make paella, have always had calamari , shrimp , scallops, mussels along with a little chorizo and chicken in It. Got up the next morning and my ankle/ foot was swollen and painful. I knew or guessed it was gout. Started ibuprofen and rest and ice, thought it had improved over the rest of the week and then it flared again so bad that my skin hurt and was itchy. Finally went to the urgent care on the 2nd , Dr. walked in and said that was classic gout! 2nd person that day to come in with it, gave me meds and head home.
Meanwhile back on the ranch we had a main drain connection for septic/sewer break and that needed repaired. Crawl space was the location and I was on crutches. Long story short wife came through after the plumbers quoted a ridiculous price and we managed as a team to fix that. 2 days later I hear a noise as I am heading to the restroom , sounded like our furnace fan was loud, opened restr door and there was a flood! A 90 degree connection had busted! Hobbled to the water shutoff and stopped it!
Meanwhile after 10 days of dealing with the gout and it’s after effects from all of the swelling I visited my Dr . Doing a round of prednisone and then a daily gout medicine.
Very little walking between the 26th until the 16th. Finally got in a few miles yesterday! Whew!
As a former drug rep who had a medication for gout, make sure you watch your diet, keep your uric acid levels low and your purine intake will be lower, as I am sure you know. If you keep to your "gout" diet it will certainly help alot. And of course follow the advice of your doctor to lower your uric acid and hopefully to start to dissolve the crystals that form around your joints.

As a former drug rep who had a medication for gout, make sure you watch your diet, keep your uric acid levels low and your purine intake will be lower, as I am sure you know. If you keep to your "gout" diet it will certainly help alot. And of course follow the advice of your doctor to lower your uric acid and hopefully to start to dissolve the crystals that form around your joints.
Yes, I am on a low purine diet and have cut my alcohol intake a lot. Won’t start the meds until the beginning of next week after the prednisone is done. Joints are feeling good other than little toe joint, but got another good morning walk in.

Would love to agree but have to disagree as I live 2 floors up and no lift hence it is more likely to be downwards and backwards after recent very bad fall ! I also have an incurable balance problem. am doing physio etc but I'm crawling the walls as outside is clear and bright! Ah well, as my dear departed mammy used to say " there's a good day coming in the morning " :) Ya gotta laff. Take care and don't be taking to the sup :)

Samarkand.
Hope that you have successful healing!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It has been an amazing year since last April when we began our planning for our 1st Camino. We are scheduled to arrive in Madrid on the 25th of April with our son and daughter in law . We all will be together until the 30th of April, we will travel to SJPP and they will travel other ways. We have had our plane reservations, Madrid lodging, and such reserved for many months. As I have stated earlier I had a few setbacks in training but am healthy now.

Buen Camino! See you all April 30th arrival and walking May 1!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I am on a low purine diet and have cut my alcohol intake a lot. Won’t start the meds until the beginning of next week after the prednisone is done. Joints are feeling good other than little toe joint, but got another good morning walk in.
For managing uriatic acid build up, my D.O.M. recommends no pork and no peanuts, in addition to avoiding all shellfish.
Glad to hear you are back on track! Being able to walk is a blessing <3

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.