• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

11 Days

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
My walking plans this year are limited due to work commitments but I have an 11 day window at the end of April or maybe mid-may If I allow 2 days for travel I could have 11 days of walking... which is not to be sniffed at :D

I've looked a various routes and the Madrid is still calling me... and there are flights in and out of Madrid every day. I am gutted not to be able to walk with @jsalt but I would still love to walk part of this route.

If you only had 11 days of walking which 11 days would you pick? Would it be an idea to skip the first couple of days out of the city? Are there stages that are too lovely to miss? Those who have already walked... what would you do?

p.s. seasons greetings!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As a follow up I've been looking through @Magwood 's blog, and other recent posts and looking at Gronze and Mundi and come up with a possible plan... I would be interested in your thoughts :)

I can arrive and Madrid and go direct to Tres Cantos... I won't have time to explore Madrid so I should save that for another visit at another time. From Segovia I could bus forward a few stages... breaking the day to stop at Coca but basically I'd be a tourist for the day?

Tres Cantos - Manzanares el Real
Manzanares el Real - Cercedilla
Cercedilla - La Granja de San Ildefonso
La Granja de San Ildefonso - Segovia
** Segovia - Bus to Coca- Bus/Taxi to Alcazarén **
Alcazarén to Puente Duero
Puente Duero to Peñaflor de Hornija
Peñaflor de Hornija to Medina de Rioseco
Medina de Rioseco to Villalón de Campos
Villalón de Campos to Grajal de Campos
Grajal de Campos to Sahgun

I can get a train from Sahgun to France, which is nice and easy.

My travel options are either arriving in Madrid on 25 April or the 16th May... I wont know yet for sure which will be possible but I think the April dates will be more likely.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Another option is to start in Madrid and walk to Valladolid – that should be possible over 11 days. Then when you have another week free, return to Valladolid and continue to Sahagun :).
Jill

Another option is to start in Madrid and walk to Valladolid – that should be possible over 11 days. Then when you have another week free, return to Valladolid and continue to Sahagun :).
Jill

I did think about that but there is a part of me that thinks with so many caminos and so little time, it's possibly going to be a long time before I could go back. I want to make the most of the time without missing something that I'd regret... Like the castle at Coca looks wonderful... I just wish I was able to start with you in March!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Your itinerary looks good. I walked from Madrid in November and found this route fascinating for history and changing environments. I stayed my first night in an Airbnb in Colmenar Viejo and really enjoyed the old town atmosphere then walked the next day to Mataelpino, which has a very nice municipal albergue. But, that leaves a long, hard stage to go to La Granja (I went to Segovia). Your stages are more sensible. Coca is an amazing place and well worth the visit. Buen Camino!

Check the holiday dates in Spain for April-May. That may factor into your decision.

Oh good point! We got caught in a busy bubble for May day on the CF last year... but that might be a good thing on the CM?

Your itinerary looks good. I walked from Madrid in November and found this route fascinating for history and changing environments. I stayed my first night in an Airbnb in Colmenar Viejo and really enjoyed the old town atmosphere then walked the next day to Mataelpino, which has a very nice municipal albergue. But, that leaves a long, hard stage to go to La Granja (I went to Segovia). Your stages are more sensible. Coca is an amazing place and well worth the visit. Buen Camino!

Many thanks. There are a few buses to Coca each day so it seems like a good place to stop and explore before moving on.

As a follow up I've been looking through @Magwood 's blog, and other recent posts and looking at Gronze and Mundi and come up with a possible plan... I would be interested in your thoughts :)

I can arrive and Madrid and go direct to Tres Cantos... I won't have time to explore Madrid so I should save that for another visit at another time. From Segovia I could bus forward a few stages... breaking the day to stop at Coca but basically I'd be a tourist for the day?

I can get a train from Sahgun to France, which is nice and easy.

My travel options are either arriving in Madrid on 25 April or the 16th May... I wont know yet for sure which will be possible but I think the April dates will be more likely.
Hi @LesBrass I guess you saw my two accounts of earlier this year. It is a wonderful Camino, I think, especially if you are happy with your own company. Generally very good infrastructure and great waymarking. The CSJ guide, available as Kindles too, is excellent.

I think you have chosen quite well, IF you cannot do the whole thing. The immediate stages after Segovia are less 'exciting' though they include the locus of my 'Ovine incident'!! https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/an-ovine-incident-rip.48169/
I travelled from Villalón to Santervas de Campos for my penultimate stage. (I try to walk less on a Sunday, other things being equal.) The albergue and attached bar at Santervas are excellent but I note that some people have found them closed. I didn't therefore stay at Grajal, but must say that Magwood's description is very tempting! Grajal is otherwise a very sleepy little place - but you will be used to such places when you reach this point on the Madrid!!!

You might want to check if the Albergue in Medina de Rioseco has reopened, following the sad departure of the Sisters - otherwise there is accommodation in the town. And I would highly recommend Ray and Rosa's accommodation in Manzanares el Real.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi @LesBrass I guess you saw my two accounts of earlier this year. It is a wonderful Camino, I think, especially if you are happy with your own company

I've just finishing reading about the goat/sheep :D and yes I read your accounts and loved them... well I didn't love the bovine incident but I loved your telling of the event.

I've never walked alone so time will tell if I am happy with my company... I've done day walks alone and set off alone before but I've always found company. This walk will be a real test for me! But me desire to walk is stronger than my fear of walking alone with dogs/cows/imaginary horrors :rolleyes:

@LesBrass I think as long as you are aware you may well not meet anybody walking along the way (except of course lots of Spanish people who live there ;)) that is fine. I don't think there is anything to be afraid of along this way (except the odd bull :)). La Granja de San Ildefonso and Segovia are two treats and will get you in touch with 'crowds' again, if need be, although again in neither place did I meet another pilgrim.
I loved it and would go again at the drop of a hat! Buen Camino.

I don't think there is anything to be afraid of along this way (except the odd bull :)).

That's not really very comforting :eek::D

I now have a Spanish language course on CD's which I will play with so that I might be able to do more than order a bed and food... it will be nice to exchange even a few basic pleasantries!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's not really very comforting :eek::D

I now have a Spanish language course on CD's which I will play with so that I might be able to do more than order a bed and food... it will be nice to exchange even a few basic pleasantries!
I spent about 3 months learning Spanish for the first time before this Camino and found it a great place to try it out. It was never essential but every day it added something to the experience. Escaping from the protective anglophone bubble is challenging but rewarding.

I spent about 3 months learning Spanish for the first time before this Camino and found it a great place to try it out. It was never essential but every day it added something to the experience. Escaping from the protective anglophone bubble is challenging but rewarding.

My biggest problem is that I live in France and my poor brain confuses the two languages... I found myself yesterday starting my lunch order with 'para mi.... ' and then ordering the rest in French... except for the gracias... and then ordered cafe con leche :rolleyes:

I'm confusion hoping this will lessen as I progress ... otherwise I might have to simply move to Spain :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Les,

Ivar may hate me for this but there is the Cathar Trail from Port-la-Nouvelle to Foix. It is 148 km but somewhat more involved in the Climbing up and down department.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!:cool:

Hello Les,

Ivar may hate me for this but there is the Cathar Trail from Port-la-Nouvelle to Foix. It is 148 km but somewhat more involved in the Climbing up and down department.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!:cool:

Thanks! I know Foix and I love that area... indeed I did think today that if I cant manage the 11 days I should walk somewhere in France for a few days... I just need to get out and walk :)

Happy New Year too :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Have a bang-up good time.
Buen camino.

I will do my very best :D I'm not able to make firm plans as I really don't know if I can take the time away from work. But currently there is a nice space in the diary and my husband is happy with the dates too. I think once we get into March, if the space is still there then it might be safe for me to get excited... but at the moment April looks favorable and it seems my planning isn't too crazy.

Keeping everything crossed! :rolleyes:

It looks like Madrid is your choice. Just a question if you can get back to Francce( and home?) via train from Sahagun, then you could get to the start of the Norte or the Camino del Vasco in Irun/Hendaye, the later Camino is usually given as 11 etapas to Burgos, seems to have Albergues, it is possibly quieter than the Madrid route, and has a large mountain range a few days in like the Madrid route, if you live in SW France why not have a look at the French routes that go through it, you could start on the Arles at some point and cross over on it to the Aragones route and finish up at Pamplona for ease of getting back home again. Anyway I hope you enjoy your time wherever you go. Buen Camino and happy new year.

It looks like Madrid is your choice. Just a question if you can get back to Francce( and home?) via train from Sahagun, then you could get to the start of the Norte or the Camino del Vasco in Irun/Hendaye, the later Camino is usually given as 11 etapas to Burgos, seems to have Albergues, it is possibly quieter than the Madrid route, and has a large mountain range a few days in like the Madrid route, if you live in SW France why not have a look at the French routes that go through it, you could start on the Arles at some point and cross over on it to the Aragones route and finish up at Pamplona for ease of getting back home again. Anyway I hope you enjoy your time wherever you go. Buen Camino and happy new year.

Happy New Year and many thanks for the ideas! There are a few reasons why I've not chosen those walks... as you say it would be easier for me to reach those :D I'm walking the Norte for 3 weeks in the autumn with my husband and I'm saving the Vasco as one day I intend to walk the CF again and I'm going to start from Irun and walk across to San Domingo. :rolleyes:

I have thought that if I cant get to Madrid then I should walk in France. The Vezeley almost passes my door (well a few kms away) but I am tempted by the southern routes and I think this will be my plan if Madrid is not possible. It's a bit silly but I always feel that the French routes are a bit too familiar... but I think I should get over this and just try it... it would certainly be a lot easier :D

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that I can take the 11 days... and if Madrid is not to be then I think it may well be France :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back