• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

11 years on this forum

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Wow! Can't believe that I joined this forum 11 years ago this month!
It started off as a Santiago forum but quickly morphed into a Camino forum and took off like a bush fire!

The first website I was able to access for info on the Camino in the 1990's was Friends of the Road to Santiago ( www.oocities.org/friends_usa_santiago/ ) The website is out of date but interesting to read as it shows the limited information that was available 20 years ago. This site was the precursor for the Gocamino forum based in the American Pilgrims on the Camino website.

Ultreia! was a closed forum and the SaintJames @ Yahoo group was based in the Brazilian website http://www.caminhodesantiago.com -

Santiagobis was started in Oct 2000 and became one of the busiest but most strictly moderated forums on the Internet.

In 2002 Piers Nicholson started Santiago-Compostela forum which had some of the best photographs of the Camino. It also featured Sylvia's top Tips - based on FAQ and answers on the forum.
http://www.santiago-compostela.net/tt02.html

Since Facebook expanded from 2006 onwards, many Camino linked organisations have groups and pages some with thousands of members and millions of posts. But, I still see people being referred from those groups to this Forum for specific info on the different routes and resources.

Most of the other forums have practically died but I'm sure this Forum will continue for many years to come.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ivar, this forum is like a virtual albergue. Some people stop for a night and then continue on their way. Others keep coming back and some are like hospitaleros, always there.
I remember when I met you in your Camino Travel Centre. That was the time Sue Kenney walked into the centre and asked me why I wasn't wearing my South Africa flag shorts. I was wearing them, but it was cold and I had a pair of over-trousers on which I promptly pulled down to show you and Sue the shorts! The look on your face was priceless! I don't know if any other peregrinas have pulled down their trousers in public for you!

Attachments

• Sil in Ivar's Centre.JPG
    Sil in Ivar's Centre.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 49
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My friend Marion, Sue and me.

Ivar and me (Ivar still looking a bit taken aback!)

Attachments

• Ivar & Sil.jpg
    Ivar & Sil.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • Camino 2009 2 100.jpg
    Camino 2009 2 100.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
Wow! have your old timers (forum ways) :) stopped to think just how many people you all helped? How blessed we are :) thanks

Zzotte

Ivar, this forum is like a virtual albergue. Some people stop for a night and then continue on their way. Others keep coming back and some are like hospitaleros, always there.
I remember when I met you in your Camino Travel Centre. That was the time Sue Kenney walked into the centre and asked me why I wasn't wearing my South Africa flag shorts. I was wearing them, but it was cold and I had a pair of over-trousers on which I promptly pulled down to show you and Sue the shorts! The look on your face was priceless! I don't know if any other peregrinas have pulled down their trousers in public for you!
I remember this... what is one to do (and where should one look) when a lady pulls down her pants in front of you :) Very funny!

Yes, I have been thinking about this as well.. it is like an albergue in many ways. People come by, stay for a while and then go... sometimes they come back, sometimes no. And that is fine. Thanks again!
Ivar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
... Yes, I have been thinking about this as well.. it is like an albergue in many ways. People come by, stay for a while and then go... sometimes they come back, sometimes no. And that is fine. ...

And the moderators are the hospitaleros! (Perhaps worth changing 'staff member' to hospitalero?)
Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sil,
You were one of the first South Africans I met on the Forum. In 2007 I dipped into the Forum and you were there welcoming me. In 2008, full of piss and vinegar I started my SJPDP to Santiago Camino and you warned me that I may be too optimistic about my ability and fitness. When I indeed crashed and burned...crutching it into SDC...you never said "I told you so". Hurting physically was one thing...hurting in spirit another. Once again, there you were PM after PM...each clearing my head and lifting my spirit to new heights.
Thank you for being there for all of us.
Arn

This is probably the best Camino forum on the web. The sheer enormity of information/advice available is astounding. I wonder if we would have gotten as much out of our Camino had we not found this forum. We found help, here, for physical problems. We learned about places to be careful of as well as places to explore. Many thanks to Ivar and all those who contribute real and very friendly advice and knowledge, and sometimes, just plain FUN!!

Nice, you're one of the "true" ones ... :)

2004 was a good year, I've so many compañeros from that time

buen camino most of all !!!!!!

This made my night!!!!

Dear Sil, Thank you for always being a source of solid counsel and kindness. There certainly have been a few great ones that I have come to know on the Forum. I appreciate following in your footsteps.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.